2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Gary D.:
If you practice 2.5 hours a day, average, 365 days a year for 11 years, you'll hit that number.

365*2.5*11 = 10037.5

I think that's enough time and effort for some people, maybe a lot of people, to play well enough to please themselves, and maybe quite a few people.

But I don't think it's enough to expect a career, performing in public. Not that much time alone, for the average person.
Chopin said 3 hours a day was enough. Rubinstein said ten years from age 70 would also be enough.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by keystring:
I used Mozart's example as a surrogate for "unusual talent".
Which of the two Mozart siblings? The children were strictly and stringently taught under close supervision by their father, an expert in the field, from a very early age and both were considered little geniuses. This is our focused supervised practice. The connections were also there to make certain that they were noticed, because performances must also happen in front of someone who will appreciate and further you in public. Are there any 'Mozarts' whom we will never get to know about?
Beethoven tried something similar with his nephew Karl (surrogate son?) and the young man ended up commiting suicide. Chopin is an example of the opposite approach. He started picking piano up as a toddler from his older sister, then his mother, and then from a violinist who had the good sense simply guide him while he taught himself. Chopin may have managed on his "three hours" because he was a true genius and unencumbered with excess pedagogical baggage. (And yes, Chopin could play the violin though there no mention of him ever touching one after he left Poland.)

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
But the other question is this: is Jane Regular wanting to become the next Mozart, or does she want to become a good concert pianist? There was only one Mozart, but there are a lot of good concert pianists out there. Most of them are unknown, sure - such are the vagaries of fame. But they do play the piano very well. (note that Mozart was not considered particularly special in his time, either).

We tend to focus on the few extraordinary geniuses when thinking about music, and only when thinking about music. When I went to law school (at a moderately advanced age), no one told me "Well, you'll never be another Clarence Darrow; what's the point?" People seem to recognize that a mere mortal can become a good lawyer by putting in the effort and the practice time, and that one doesn't need to be arguing cases in the cradle to even think about succeeding in law school.

It's also true of music. If you put in the effort and the practice time - intelligent, focused practice - you'll get good. But it has to be focused and intelligent practice; you have to know what you're good at and what you're bad at, and tailor the practice to your individual strengths and weaknesses. If you do that, you'll succeed.

In this thread, this post of Larisa's is the most down to earth and straightforward response on this subject area that I have yet seen. We as adult learners spend so much time with this baggage, that I strongly recommend we each print this quote and put on our respective music stands as adult learners regardless of the approach we are each choosing to take. Then we can leave this baggage behind and just enjoy the journey.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
Originally posted by Larisa:
(note that Mozart was not considered particularly special in his time, either).
I agree Larisa's post is excellent, but I can't let her get away with this. Here is Haydn on Mozart:
"If only I could impress Mozart's inimitable works on the soul of every friend of music, and the souls of high personages in particular, as deeply, with the same musical understanding and with the same deep feeling, as I understand and feel them, the nations would vie with each other to possess such a jewel."
Or to Leopold:
Before God and as an honest man I tell you that your son is the greatest composer known to me either in person or by name: He has taste, and, furthermore, the most profound knowledge of composition

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by TonyB:
In this thread, this post of Larisa's is the most down to earth and straightforward response on this subject area that I have yet seen. We as adult learners spend so much time with this baggage, that I strongly recommend we each print this quote and put on our respective music stands as adult learners regardless of the approach we are each choosing to take. Then we can leave this baggage behind and just enjoy the journey.

Tony
Except that the last paragraph is just the same shopworn "hard work will get you anywhere" bromide that people desperately need to believe in even if it sets them up for disappointment.

Even if you accept that "good" is a relative term, it's just not everyone's destiny to "get good" by dint of hours of effort alone if there is no aptitude whatsoever. But if you know "what you're good at and what you're bad at," you would probably know when you're spinning your wheels in vain pursuit of a hopeless cause, too.

Steven

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
There are man aspects to learning to play a musical instrument. A particular approach to learning, certain aspects of one is approaching learning - these can be modified to advantage by understanding one's strengths and leveraging them. In other words, a person, through knowledge of one's strengths and aptitudes can adjust their approach to learning to play piano in various ways so as to make the results of their efforts more fruitful.

I wonder how many people REALLY "have no aptitude whatsoever". As Larisa pointed out, music seems to be unique in how people regard it as requiring genius to even pursue it. It is one thing to say that if a person puts in enormous hours, they are guaranteed to overcome any lack of "genius" and become a world class musician, and quite another to say that a person who puts in the effort could enjoy playing the piano at some level.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
There are man aspects to learning to play a musical instrument.
Are there women aspects too? Most students, young and old, are very wasteful of their practice time so, I think I agree with you and Larisa re: potential.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
I wonder how many people REALLY "have no aptitude whatsoever". As Larisa pointed out, music seems to be unique in how people regard it as requiring genius to even pursue it. It is one thing to say that if a person puts in enormous hours, they are guaranteed to overcome any lack of "genius" and become a world class musician, and quite another to say that a person who puts in the effort could enjoy playing the piano at some level.
Tony, I agree. And even those hypothetical people with zero aptitude—however few there may be—could find it an enjoyable and worthwhile experience. I don't think it can be overstated that it's the process, the journey, that matters.

Steven

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Learning is a satifying process in itself. My feeling is that by the time a serious student has put in enough hours to learn whether or not he actually has "talent," it will no longer matter. Lack of talent is I think most often an excuse given by those not willing to put in the time.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Keyboardklutz and Steven:

Keyboardklutz: Sorry, that was a typo. I try to proof-read before hitting RET, but sometimes I don't see every mistake. Yes, practicing is not an easy thing to get right. One of things I like about Duane Shinn is that he has lots of information about how to practice his materials. For the self-learner, that is EXTREMELY important.

Steven: My wife has thought all her life that she was "tone deaf" because as a little kid, the music teacher tested everybody for tone deafness by having them identify the higher or lower note. My apparently misunderstood what she was to do and was forever therefore labeled "tone deaf". These sad stories are amazingly common. My experiences teaching adults and kids guitar has made this subject a matter of high interest for me. As Sudnow says, there are many "myths" about music, and these myths tend to prevent the average adult from ever pursuing playing an instrument, despite an interest in doing so.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Gary wrote:
Let's examine the 10,000 hour idea, in this way.

If you practice 2.5 hours a day, average, 365 days a year for 11 years, you'll hit that number.

365*2.5*11 = 10037.5

I think that's enough time and effort for some people, maybe a lot of people, to play well enough to please themselves, and maybe quite a few people.

But I don't think it's enough to expect a career, performing in public. Not that much time alone, for the average person.
Regretfully, too many readers will assume 2.5 hours a day of piano playing is 2.5 hours a day of practicing, and then wonder, after 10,000 hours of playing the piano, why they are mediocre.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally posted by sophial:
However, there are some reasons I don’t buy the full argument that 10,000 hours is sufficient to turn anyone selected at random into a professional performing pianist.
The studies certainly don't say this, so you are, in effect, only disagreeing with your own strawman.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally posted by -Frycek:
Learning is a satifying process in itself. My feeling is that by the time a serious student has put in enough hours to learn whether or not he actually has "talent," it will no longer matter. Lack of talent is I think most often an excuse given by those not willing to put in the time.
Show me someone with lots of talent and I will show you someone who (also) put in lots and lots and lots of work when you weren't looking...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Monica K. wrote: "I am not saying that 10,000 hours will make anybody into, say, a Horowitz. But I would argue that it would make anybody into a highly accomplished pianist capable of having a rewarding professional career."

Journey, I was responding to this statement of Monica's that it would make "anybody" into a professional pianist and as I said, I'm not sure I buy that based on evidence to date.

Also, if you read my post, I am not discounting at all the role that practice and years of focused hard work play in developing into an accomplished pianist -- what I'm not sure of is whether it is sufficient to that extent.

What is also clear is that we won't know how far we can get until we try.

Sophia

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Which is not quite the same thing as becoming a professional concert pianist.

Monica also indicated she did not have access to the materials when writing. I can heartily recommend them as reading (and reflection) -- especially since they are based on real people, real lives and real habits.

Perhaps we can start a separate thread later for debate by those who have actually read and thought about the same research?

]Show me someone with lots of talent and I will show you someone who (also) put in lots and lots and lots of work when you weren't looking...
Having observed first hand for a number of years, and then discussed when adulthood was reached:
- a quest for efficiency from the beginning, wryly translated as a philosophy of laziness, i.e. the best and easiest way to achieve something
- starting the endeavour with intent and purpose from the beginning: wish to acquire proficiency
- keen powers of observation
- perfect pitch even before training, i.e. natural
- good physical coordination
- ability to plan, organize, set goals, follow through, willingness to do so
- ability to separate the chaff from the wheat
- practicing that was sufficient and appropriate (not excessive for the sake of filling hours)
- discernment
- ability to deal with stress of pressure, balance out life, realism
- working with teachers and getting the main point (again, discernment)

There was a strong philosophy that ran *against* long practicing, and toward sufficient and efficient practicing in order to achieve what you are trying to reach with as little effort (time use, straining, tension) as possible. I saw this in the beginner who only practiced 15 minutes if that is what it took, and 5 hours at university level if that is what it took.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by theJourney:
Which is not quite the same thing as becoming a professional concert pianist.

Monica also indicated she did not have access to the materials when writing. I can heartily recommend them as reading (and reflection) -- especially since they are based on real people, real lives and real habits.

Perhaps we can start a separate thread later for debate by those who have actually read and thought about the same research?
Are we not real people with real lives and real habits?

Steven

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Dunno. You look like a rainbow Cheshire cat from NY to me. laugh
I was referring to the earlier comment that studies are narrowly defined and therefore somehow not extrapolatable to the real world (where many would-be expert pianists spend lots of time hanging out on internet fora instead of practicing intently?)

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
But if we judged people by their avatars, you would be a blank. eek
I was referring to the earlier comment that studies are narrowly defined and therefore somehow not extrapolatable to the real world (where many would-be expert pianists spend lots of time hanging out on internet fora instead of practicing intently?)
And could-be experts who are more endowed with indolence than talent.
Show me someone with lots of talent and I will show you someone who (also) put in lots and lots and lots of work when you weren't looking...
Except when they're lazy or unmotivated.

Steven

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally posted by keystring:
]Show me someone with lots of talent and I will show you someone who (also) put in lots and lots and lots of work when you weren't looking...
Having observed first hand for a number of years, and then discussed when adulthood was reached:
- a quest for efficiency from the beginning, wryly translated as a philosophy of laziness, i.e. the best and easiest way to achieve something
- starting the endeavour with intent and purpose from the beginning: wish to acquire proficiency
- keen powers of observation
- perfect pitch even before training, i.e. natural
- good physical coordination
- ability to plan, organize, set goals, follow through, willingness to do so
- ability to separate the chaff from the wheat
- practicing that was sufficient and appropriate (not excessive for the sake of filling hours)
- discernment
- ability to deal with stress of pressure, balance out life, realism
- working with teachers and getting the main point (again, discernment)

There was a strong philosophy that ran *against* long practicing, and toward sufficient and efficient practicing in order to achieve what you are trying to reach with as little effort (time use, straining, tension) as possible. I saw this in the beginner who only practiced 15 minutes if that is what it took, and 5 hours at university level if that is what it took.
How has that worked out for you?
In what field, domain or area of expertise are you generally considered by others to be an expert?

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission