2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
I found one online that accepts adult students, and after sending her an email expressing an interest in lessons, she replied with a copy of her studio policy etc.

I plan on emailing her back with some questions I have, such as her availability, when she'd be willing to start, what music books she requires her students to purchase, and if she has ever taught adult students before. Can you guys think of any other reasonable questions I should ask her?

One other thing, she's a very young teacher. 23 I think. Although age shouldn't be a factor, I'm a little worried that she might not have the experience working with students that I would hope for. Her resume is great (many solo performances, attended Juliard for 4 years, etc.), but the age thing does have me a little worried. Should I be? Or am I just being silly?

Thanks!

A
A
You did not mention what goals and results you expect from piano lessons. Is it to become a concert pianist with a certain repertoire? To be able to play one or few of your favorite songs for your family? To catch a song by ear and replay it on the piano? To compose music? To be able to read from any music sheet and play somehow any song for your own entertainment? Just to kill your time because you are bored?

They are quite different goals, and the questions to your teacher will depend on your goal.

I would recommend to start with music reading skills first, so your teacher have to know how efficiently teach music reading skills with basic playing skills. Having such skills will provide the enjoyment for life instead of memorizing and gradually forgetting any particular song.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Is this a teacher who teaches on line or someone who is going to teach you in person?

The age thing doesn't bother me at all unless maybe the kids are going to be involved at which point I would invoke an interview process that wouldn't be unlike selecting a nanny.

I think youthful vigor and attitude are a great thing.

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
K
K
I'm 25, and one semester away from my bachelors degree, which, by the way, will be in brass performance. I studied both the piano and French horn through my freshman year of college, winning two piano competitions as a teenager, but decided to specialize in horn. I still accompany occasionally, and I have ten piano students, including my mother-in-law (yes, she pays me), and another lady who I think is 50-60ish.

Admittedly I'm not an obective judge of my own teaching skills, but I like to think I'm pretty good. wink I will always be grateful to my students and their parents, who allowed me the chance to make a few mistakes and learn from them. I'm not on par with someone who has a teaching certificate and 20 years experience, but I am a better teacher than when I started 14 months ago. Without parents willing to look past a lack of teaching experience, I never would have gotten started.

If the teacher in question is any good at all, she will adapt to your learning style. Frankly, there's probably not much to adapt to. I prefer adult students, because they take lessons much more seriously than the kids do. After all, it is their money being spent. With the kids, I have to find the right balance between ogre and nice guy, whereas, with the adults, I can focus on teaching without having to worry excessively about motivation.

Having said all that, what is most important is whether she helps you meet your goals as a student. I don't think age or relative inexperience should be deal-breakers in and of themselves. After all, we're talking about someone who is attending one of the most selective music schools in the country. Assuming she answers your questions to your satisfaction, I'd say give her a chance. If the two of you don't jive, you can always look for another teacher later.

Just my advice; worth every penny you paid for it. wink

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission