2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, crab89, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#934491 11/17/03 11:15 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Hi. I have a student preparing CPE Bach's Solfeggietto but we're having some difficulties. I felt she was well prepared for this piece but am now having second thoughts. Before assigning this piece, where would you feel your student should be in studies? What literature would already have been prepared? Any favorite preparatory pieces that you've had success with?

#934492 11/17/03 02:55 PM
A
A
With the Solfegietto, a student should do plenty of arpeggio exercises several octaves -making sure that their is a clear, precise connection between hands. Work with the metronome until speed can be built. Also point out the chordal structures of the piece and have your student play the arpegios as chords.

As for what level your student should be at, well if she is playing the Solfegietto, she should be able to play the easier pieces in the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach. Also the easier Clemnti Sonatinas.

For prep work try using one of the small preludes-Prelude in C Major BWV 939. Its a lot easier than the Solfegietto but good prepatory work. Just make sure the student is using 2 beats per measure instead of 4.
Blessings

Ruth

#934493 11/18/03 02:36 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks, Ruth. The arpeggios may be the trick. Everything else you've mentioned we are doing - and her preparatory work has been precisely the track you've suggested. Although now that I look back, we've had regular glitches every step of the way. Clementi sonatinas almost perfect - but not quite. Bach preludes almost. Arpeggios worked on but set aside for awhile. We've been focusing on Russian scales which are fine - but we'll go back and revisit arpeggios. Chordal structure - yup. We've done the analysis. Metronome - yup. This is a very dedicated, astute student. Although lacking natural expression - I always have to teach it. I'm just concerned because her progress on this piece is far slower than I expected. We'll see what transpires over the next few weeks. Thanks.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission