2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
MA Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Preface from the book:
The object of this work is to furnish young players with as easy an introduction as possible to the art of playing on the pianoforte.
It is intended for children, even of the tenderest age, and the progression has therefore been made as gradual as possible within the limits of the work. From this it will be clear that an exhaustive treat of all the difficulties, ornaments, &c., does not lie within the scope of this book, which is not meant to be more than an elementary instruction book to furnish the pupil with material for practice during his first and perhaps second year.
There is, it is believed, room for a work of this kind which may also be used by musical parents in preparing their children for the professional master.

You can download the entire book in PDF from:
web page

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
By the bottom of page 6, you'll have 100% drop out.

Should have posted this on April 1st! laugh

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
M
MA Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I thought the meat of the book started on Page 8.

What's sepcial about April 1st?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
While not used much anymore, the Beyer method was the "John Thompson" of Germany for many, many years.

Several of the pieces from the method live on - you'll occasionally find them in elementary anthologies here in the US.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
MA - you must be new here. How long have you lived in the USA?

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
M
MA Offline OP
OP Offline
M
John, I knew April 1 is the Fool's day but didn't believe that you seriouly thought this method book was that bad. Is it because the book is deadly boring? (e.g., no colorful cartoon pictures) Or it's overly fast-paced? Or it was not well thought out and had many holes in between?

Or because we simply don't expect young children today to accomplish the book in one year?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Oh, that brings back memories...

I spent nearly three years going through that book. Some exercises are better than the others. I think the edition I used changed the numbering a little. I don't recall seeing those folktunes near the end. I remember liking #96 and #100 very much.

One needs to supplement that method book with more 20th century repertoire. The balanced approach is better when it comes to different tonalities and styles.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
The bass clef magically appears in exercise #59. smile

Then suddenly in #63 both hands are in the bass clef. And BOTH hands are suddenly out of a five finger position.

All sorts of things appear out of nowhere, as in #73 where suddenly there is a chromatic passage.

Bass clef is all but neglected for so long that it is almost certain students will be weak in bass unless other materials are used to suppliment.

A lot of the music is crammed so densely into measures that it makes things even harder.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for children of the "tenderest years".

Looks more like something to torture kids with to me. laugh

"The object of this work is to furnish young players with as easy an introduction as possible to the art of playing on the pianoforte."

Uh huh...

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
MA - Gary & Sal nicely summarized the obvious.

For example, the student isn't introduced to G major until #70, which is at least a year into the program. Probably more. Three-fourths of the way through the book, we finally get to F major. Of course, students have learned triplets, dotted rhythms, etc. In other words, they will have major problems ever playing out of the key of C major.

This isn't good pedagogy. I don't think I'd recommend this, even for a beginning student at the tender age of 10 or more.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
John:

Unfortunately, Beyer is huge in Asia--they still come up with newer and newer editions that incorporate more and more 20th-century repertoire to replace the German(?) folksongs. I have a colorful edition (full of cute pictures and well-spaced pages) sitting on my shelf. They divided the Beyer book into three parts (thus three different books) and then added a lot of newer pieces. And the editors even added written instruction!

In the early 20th century, there was a Japanese teacher who compiled a series of pieces (in two books) that correlated to Beyer by number! I think highly of this compilation; thus I still use it with my beginner students. My first piano teacher used that Japanese series, along with John Thompson, Schaum, Glover, and a book of Asian folksongs to supplement Beyer. I was easily playing 6-7 pieces per week. But the problem was I didn't get to play even a sonatina until well into my 3rd year of piano. There are definitely drawbacks.

Argument could be made that, "Well, some good pianists grew up using Beyer, so Beyer must be good!" But nowadays I see more and more brilliant young pianists who did _not_ grow up using Beyer, and they are even more impressive than folks from my generation. Thus, my argument would be "Modern method book series must be better than Beyer because more kids are playing advanced music at a younger age than generations before!"

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
M
MA Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Interesting comments, some of which are surprising to me.

I created the topic because I found the free download online after my son had been trained with this method for a few months. His teacher is experienced in teaching children from 5 years old to pre-college, and doesn't use any children method book (except this one). He was assigned a few exercises (plus repertoire not from this book) every week. He is near the end of the 2nd stage after 3-4 months. (He has weekly 1-hour lessons but skipped a few lessons due to holidays and illness.) He will be trained with repertoire (and repertoire only) this sememster. (Sonatina, enssemble music, etc.)

Although I know this method is very old and not suitable for every teacher/child, I wish my daughter had been trained with it. Her first teacher started her with RCM repertoire plus Frances Clark technique/etude books, and a little bit of Suzuki and Faber. The latter were nearly useless for her.

B
B
Beyer is still quite frequent in Spain. Used both with children and with adults who want to follow the classical route.

I started with it. Then, my teacher combined it with Czerny op 599.

M
MA Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally posted by Gary D.:
The bass clef magically appears in exercise #59. smile
Bass clef is introduced on Page 4, and grand staff on Page 7. The bass clef reappears on Page 40 between #50 and #51. Then "magically" near the end of #54.

Then suddenly in #63 both hands are in the bass clef. And BOTH hands are suddenly out of a five finger position.

All sorts of things appear out of nowhere, as in #73 where suddenly there is a chromatic passage.

Bass clef is all but neglected for so long that it is almost certain students will be weak in bass unless other materials are used to suppliment.

A lot of the music is crammed so densely into measures that it makes things even harder.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for children of the "tenderest years".

Looks more like something to torture kids with to me. laugh
I like to watch my son being "tortured" during the lesson, e.g., when the clef sign changed in the middle of the music, or when he had to play 2-octave G and F. His teacher has made it more "torturous" by letting him figure out these things on the spot by himself, and my son actually enjoyed it.

M
MA Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally posted by John v.d.Brook:
MA - Gary & Sal nicely summarized the obvious.

For example, the student isn't introduced to G major until #70, which is at least a year into the program. Probably more. Three-fourths of the way through the book, we finally get to F major. Of course, students have learned triplets, dotted rhythms, etc. In other words, they will have major problems ever playing out of the key of C major.

This isn't good pedagogy. I don't think I'd recommend this, even for a beginning student at the tender age of 10 or more.
I suppose this method book is more like a technique/exercise book. You definitely need to supplement with repertoire. For example, my son was assigned Minuet in G by Pezold (or Petzold) and other repertoire pieces.

Clearly, this is not an independent study book. The child needs the guidance of a teacher and perhaps the help of a musical parent to plug the "holes" in the book.

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I don't think the book is a good selection for any beginner as it is not visually easily readable by any age.

I admit I did not look at all 88 pages, but pages 1-6 were plenty for my estimation.

This might serve as a good review book but the scope of it goes far beyond elementary skills and reading ability for the average student.

I have liked using Ferdinand Beyer music as eaches, but in one single book as a method book, I dont' think this is successfully doable without losing the student's interest.

If I were familiar with every page and the sequence of it, I could defend it's usefulness, but on a brief summary of a few pages, I wouldn't start where it starts, nor sequence it the way it is.

Would anyone care to profile a successful student and a successful teacher of this volumne? I am reading that there are other countries where this is an established method.

It gets my curiosity, but alas, no extra time at the present to get into it at the piano and follow along on the merits and critiques of this.

There are "holes" I'm sure - and a well written book will attempt to remove and allow "no holes".

Interesting subject!

Betty

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Yes, there are some good elementary pieces which have been incorporated into other series, but Betty, you're right on, IMHO.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
I have to agree with both of you. There are things in the book that certainly could be useful, but the way concepts are presented would require a ton of "hole-filling".

My biggest concern would be that reading would not happen. Since the number one problem I run into as a teacher is trying to teach students, coming to me from other teachers, how to read bass clef (or read at all), the way the bass clef is introduced and the amount of time spent with both hands in the treble sets off alarms in my mind.

M
MA Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Most of the exercises from this book are not in any of the first/second year books of the contemporary/popular methods I have seen.

Take #44 for example. It introduces 8th notes. It also reviews what the student has learned, i.e., whole, half, dotted half, and quarter notes. The student gets to see the complete picture. Played with the teacher part, it sounds melodic.

#86 is another example. It introduces 8th-note triplets and 16th notes in a similar way.

M
MA Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally posted by Gary D.:
I have to agree with both of you. There are things in the book that certainly could be useful, but the way concepts are presented would require a ton of "hole-filling".

My biggest concern would be that reading would not happen. Since the number one problem I run into as a teacher is trying to teach students, coming to me from other teachers, how to read bass clef (or read at all), the way the bass clef is introduced and the amount of time spent with both hands in the treble sets off alarms in my mind.
Most beginning students would assume that the bottom clef is bass and top one is treble. After playing so many exercises from this book, my son still made the mistake in his last lesson when asked to sight read a new exercise that is written in both treble clefs. A careless mistake he fixed by himself right away.

If you go through the exercises in this book, you will know how much reading is required. My son has become a very good sight reader partially because of this book.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission