2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
193866 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Always a lifetime student of classical and other styles of piano performance here...Thank you for your continued educational contributions to me. I am reflecting now and will be for some time upon your academic based answers. One more thought and wondering if anyone has input please? My stepfather is a now retired Senior Genetic Research Scientist, Georgetown Unv, his is only 2 years older than am I, he is appx. 70 now. We still discuss genetic predisposition, etc.
Could it be because women have not in general, to date, had the mind set to compose, their hardwiring of this talent has been ignored? What about the offsprings of the famous classical composers who are women? Dormant talent available to them upon command? Women becoming responsible members of our composers society? I so value your input as educators and thank you in advance for your replies... The old story we do not have equal rights, as women, is no longer an excuse? Sandy B

Sandra M. Boletchek 08/02/06
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by argerichfan:
Originally posted by Morodiene:
I respect that you have an opinion, even if it's wrong.
Hoity-toity! laugh She's [b]alive
! Clara would be proud. Certainly someone has to like her, yet you in no way refute my arguments. I think you are wrong.

Ah well, back to the Pianist Corner wherein the level of discourse doesn't hinge so much on an automatic acceptance because of female gender. I always get in trouble on this forum anyway...

I'm not a piano teacher, and frankly, I got screwed over. I had one of the worst ones on the planet, if not the galaxy. Because of that utter incompetence, I lost interest in being a pianist and switched to the mysteries of Anglican church music at uni.

I'll never forget, nor forgive an individual that killed my youthful enthusiasm because she thought she was so right.

Is it any wonder I'm suspicious of this forum? Now a piano teacher is telling me she knows more about Clara than I do. Been there, done that. laugh [/b]
Jason:
I keep forgetting that in spite of wriitng smileys and "j/k" (which stands for just kidding), that people really don't get humor on these forums. It was an honest joke, and nothing more. I never once said I knew more about Clara than you did. I simply said that in my opinion, I really enjoyed her art songs. You obviously do not, and so the conversation pretty much ends there, as opinions can't really be debated. No offense was intended, I just have a wierd sense of humor, I guess. I apologize.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
193866 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ignor please as I double posted. Sandy B

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Don't forget that Clara probably did most of the household management. Her eldest daughter did a lot of the housework, but Clara had eight children, at a time when men didn't do much in the house. She sent them to boarding schools, all the while dealing with a crazy husband and concertizing. We can't blame her much for anything.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
I just have a wierd sense of humor, I guess. I apologize.
All the more reason why I would adore meeting you. Over a few drinks we could have a blast!

Cheers,

Jason
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally posted by Candyman:
Don't forget that Clara probably did most of the household management. Her eldest daughter did a lot of the housework, but Clara had eight children, at a time when men didn't do much in the house. She sent them to boarding schools, all the while dealing with a crazy husband and concertizing. We can't blame her much for anything.
In ages past, what woman has had time to create amidst all that pro-creating? And how many women could afford to avoid joining the marriage merry-go-round?

M
M
Originally posted by argerichfan:
I just have a wierd sense of humor, I guess. I apologize.
All the more reason why I would adore meeting you. Over a few drinks we could have a blast!

Cheers,
I'll let you know if I ever make the trip across the pond smile .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Two reasons.

1. Kids.
2. Female IQ curve - in a typical population they have less idiots, but also less geniuses than males.

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
When touring Hyde Park, New York, years ago, a visit to the Rooseveldt mansion, I kept noticing in all the family photos, 5 children, I believe, how sad the mother, Eleanor looked. She was not an attractive woman by contemporary standards, but her sadness was overwhelming to me, also a parent of 5 children.

I read a quote she made once and it stuck with me: "There are two kinds of marriages, his and hers. His is better."

My comments would be that a wife and mother (especially in that era) had a host of family responsibilities that took precedent, and she of course, had political responsibilites, too. I would think that the things she, herself, longed to do, were not even on the daily "to do" page while she was primarily at the disposal of her family.

A lot of music did not get played, nor composed, a lot of books not being written, a lot of dreams by the wayside, because the day only has 24 hours. For many women, it was a struggle to find time and space to be themselves. Fortunately, that is changing because societies expectation of women changed, and more opportunites have presented themselves.

I don't think the "IQ curve" has anything to do with it, by the way. Here's to achieving women!

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I agree with Betty.

Even in the era of my own mother, beyond being a housewife there were only a couple of acceptable professions for women: school teacher, nurse, and ...? and did I mention that a lady would (have to) quit teaching school as soon she fulfilled her true purpose in life and married?

Most women taking piano lessons in the piano-happy late-1800's were primarily being allowed to do so to have a cultured way to court a future husband in their parent's parlor. A career in music? Pardon? Perhaps offering lessons for a time inconspicuously.

But compose? Maybe a composed salad.

193866 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thank you so very much teachers for your thinking on why we do not have famous women composers... Sandy B

M
M
Originally posted by Eternal:
Two reasons.

1. Kids.
2. Female IQ curve - in a typical population they have less idiots, but also less geniuses than males.
I have not heard about reason #2 before. Can you cite any reliable sources that discuss this in detail?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

It's a well-documented finding in psychology, Morodiene. The distribution of IQ for men is "flatter" than it is for women, although the average IQ is the same for both sexes. This means that there are indeed more male geniuses, as well as more men who are severely retarded.

I've got to run off to a meeting, so I can't dig up any primary sources, but I believe it's talked about in Stephen Pinker's "The Blank Slate" in the chapter on gender differences, and Herrnstein & Wilson's "The Bell Curve" as well.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by Monica K.:
It's a well-documented finding in psychology, Morodiene. The distribution of IQ for men is "flatter" than it is for women, although the average IQ is the same for both sexes. This means that there are indeed more male geniuses, as well as more men who are severely retarded.

I've got to run off to a meeting, so I can't dig up any primary sources, but I believe it's talked about in Stephen Pinker's "The Blank Slate" in the chapter on gender differences, and Herrnstein & Wilson's "The Bell Curve" as well.
Of course there are those who would say that methods for testing iq are skewed towards certain characteristics (gender being one) so while not being "wrong", you have to understand what the numbers are saying (are there really more male "genius'" or are there merely more males that exhibit the attributes that an admittedly male dominated society values as genius like) smile

Plus, has anyone really done any research on whether composers really were what we'd consider "genius" anyway? In other words, does scoring a high IQ actually relate to the ability to create what most would consider meaningful compositions?

Funny but my daughter asked me this very same question about a month ago. I just tell her that if she works hard enough that maybe she could be the first smile

Originally posted by bitWrangler:
In other words, does scoring a high IQ actually relate to the ability to create what most would consider meaningful compositions?
That is absolutely the crucial question, bitWrangler. I'd have to do some lit searching, but my imperfect memory is that while compositional talent may be slightly or even moderately correlated with IQ, they are by no means overlapping constructs.

As for your first set of concerns, we could have an hours-long debate on what exactly intelligence is and what exactly IQ tests measure. There's not perfect agreement among the leading researchers in the field on that. And certainly the fact that the distributions differ for men and women tells us nothing about the root causes of those differences. Maybe it's genetic/biological. Maybe it's socialization. Nobody knows for sure. It's probably a little of both.

Sometimes it's embarrassing to be in a field where often the best answer you can give is to throw up your hands and say "we don't know." shocked

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission