2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, 6 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#926349 02/22/07 11:44 PM
rziss Offline OP
OP Offline
Why do so few teachers advise students to have their piano tuned?

#926350 02/23/07 10:46 AM
T
T
I didn't know that this was so, but it could be because the teachers get tired of telling them and over and over! I know that I have told several of my students for years that they need to not only get their pianos tuned, but some need to have repair work done, such as fixing keys that are not playing properly. I don't think that most people understand the importance of a well-tuned piano. Or, they think they only need to do it once. help

#926351 02/23/07 11:37 AM
I find that hard to believe. Do you know a lot of teachers who have never mentioned piano tuning to their students? That is a very broad comment. I hand out the phone number of the tuner I trust when a student starts and at the beginning of each year. Usually if students pianos are in bad shape or out of tune it starts to bother them as soon as they start playing on my piano at lessons.

I agree with Tara as well. Sometimes you can recommend something such as piano tuning for a year and not have it happen. Short of doing piano checks at all of my students houses it is hard to know exactly how their piano is kept up.

Registered Private Piano and Flute Teacher
#926352 02/23/07 11:46 AM
P
P
I find it hard to believe, too. Keeping instruments in good repair and tuned is a recurring conversation in my studio. Like the others have said, though, since I don't get to see my students' instruments it's hard to know what they're doing or not. I also give out the information of a local tuner who is wonderful.

Best,

Kim

Find some help for stage fright and share what helps you -- Stage Fright Tips. Let's learn from each other!
#926353 02/23/07 11:50 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I took lessons when I was a child from the same teacher for 10 years, and I don't remember her ever mentioning piano tuning. (She was NOT a good teacher.)

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
#926354 02/23/07 11:55 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I think that in general, most teachers do not remember to encourage students to get their pianos tuned. I have it in my studio policies, I mention it every time my studio pianos are tuned, which is 3 times during the school year, and generally in a monthly newsletter about midway through the year.

Tuners could help themselves considerably if they'd be more business like when it comes to follow ups. I don't want to go there, but I will say this, I've dropped many tuners over the years, when after the 2nd or 3rd time I've had to call to schedule, it's becoming an ordeal.

I tell my tuner/tech that it's his responsibility to keep my pianos up to par. That's what I'm paying him for. I don't want to be listening to out of tune pianos at lessons, and I don't want to be chasing after him to get my pianos serviced.

Finally, I've got a man who grasps business 101! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
#926355 02/23/07 02:56 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have a general information sheet I give out when students start lessons. One of the things included is a small paragraph about the importance of keeping a piano tuned along with the name of phone # of my tech. I also point that paragraph out when I go over things with new students/parents.

Some students have old pianos, for example, grandma's old upright that sat for years unmaintained. So I sort of cringe when I think if a tech. comes to their house how much money they might be told it will cost, or told how bad the piano is. What advice would you give someone on what the bare minimum to get done might be and what not to if the cost was too high?

I do think teacher's should educate families on the importance of having a piano in tune via a newsletter, an article, etc.

Someone in the technicians forum once mentioned what I think is a great idea. Have the technician come to a recital or such and give an educational talk about maintaining pianos and the importance. The tech. said he takes the piano apart during the talk to show some things about the inside. I think that's a great idea, and the tech. might pick up some business that way. I have considered doing so but was waiting until I had a few more students to make it more worth the tech.'s while.

#926356 02/23/07 03:15 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Sarabande, That's a great idea!!! I was planning on having my tech bring a forte-piano to one of our group lessons and show students alternate tunings. But having him at the recital is an even better idea. Thanks. 3hearts

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
#926357 02/23/07 03:50 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by John v.d.Brook:
Sarabande, That's a great idea!!! I was planning on having my tech bring a forte-piano to one of our group lessons and show students alternate tunings. But having him at the recital is an even better idea. Thanks. 3hearts
I just did a search and can't find where it was mentioned now. I was thinking it may have been Cy Shuster that mentioned it but I'm not for sure in case you wanted to ask for more information.

If anyone is interested, here's another thread from the tech. forum on helping students or parents to understand the importance of tuning: Best advice to parents of young students?

#926358 03/01/07 11:00 PM
rziss Offline OP
OP Offline
It's just very frustrating when I call some of my tuning clients that I haven't seen in a while and they say the "teacher said its fine" or "we'll ask the teacher" and I never hear back from them. I dont tell the kids how often to practice.

#926359 03/02/07 10:46 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Rziss, I agree that it's a problem when teachers are ignorant of piano care. Why don't you make a point of giving a free presentation to the local teachers group, and give them each a copy of "Dear Dr. Piano?"

My dentist sends out a post card reminder that they will be calling to make an appointment. They do it every six months. Do you offer a 10% - 15% discount if a tuning is scheduled within 6 months of the last tuning? "It's less work for me if your piano isn't way out of tune, so I'm passing the savings along to you."

#926360 03/02/07 05:43 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by sarabande:
Some students have old pianos, for example, grandma's old upright that sat for years unmaintained. So I sort of cringe when I think if a tech. comes to their house how much money they might be told it will cost, or told how bad the piano is. What advice would you give someone on what the bare minimum to get done might be and what not to if the cost was too high?
I have this exact situation!!

I got a new student last year. He told me they had an old, out-of-tune piano, so I gave them the name of my tuner and evidently he checked it out and the cost to bring it up to par was quite expensive (He says it looks 100 years old and says "Polk's Piano, Searcy Ark," and I can find no refernce for it on the web) He really is a good student and has progressed quickly, but he says some of the keys don't work at all, and he often practices an octave lower just to get them all working.

I mentioned this to the mom, who said "well, we were just going to run down to Sams and get him keyboard for his room" and I think the look on my face convinced her not to do that!

I know a decent piano is a big expense, but I often see pianos in the newspaper for a few hundred that would be MUCH better than what he is playing on. I don't want to drop him because of no piano. The parents both work and seem to have plenty of money.

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
#926361 03/02/07 08:28 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Stanny, there is a fine line here between advocacy and giving the appearance of being a salesman (or worse, getting a kickback). I have resigned myself to having good instruments in the studio, and if and when a parent asks about pianos or complains about the student's progress, I can point out that the quality of instrument the student works on has a major impact on the results the student achieves.

One of my student's Mom & Dad have a combined income of over $400k. I know because one is an MD and the other a top official whose salary has been published. They live in an $800,000 home. Yet for their daughter, highly talented, they have given her a $500 used Frappenzammer, while their son, a 'cellist, a beautiful $15,000 'cello. It breaks my heart, but what can I do? It would seem that if Mom & Dad can't hear a difference, then there is no difference.

#926362 03/03/07 05:24 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm pretty fussy about keeping my piano in tune. My teacher tunes for me and he also sold me my piano. Before I even bought it he let me watch him do a tuning and explained what he was doing as he went along. He also showed me how to tell if a piano was out of tune - as it happened he showed me on the piano I bought (which happened to need tuning at that time!).

Ken

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission