2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
wdaveo Offline OP
OP Offline
W
My son is beginning Level 5 in the Hal Leonard series. He recently asked for a Wizard of Oz piano book.

I went to Amazon and see that Dan Coates has Wizard of Oz in two formats - Big Note and Easy Piano. What is the difference between these two formats? Is one early/mid elementary and one late elementary?

Would these be appropriate for my son or too easy? (I would prefer something easier vs. harder, at this point, so he can just enjoy playing the songs - but too easy would be boring for him.)

I've seen this before and never really could understand the difference between the two. I also have a child ending Level 3, so this would be useful for me to understand.

Thank you,

Dawn

F
F
This link might help you:

Level Guidelines

Piano self teaching on and off from 2002-2008. Took piano instruction from Nov 2008- Feb 2011. Took guitar instruction Feb 2011-Jul 2013. Can't play either. Living, breathing proof some people aren't cut out to make music.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
"Big Note" is most likely elementary. If your son is at Level 5 HL, I'd suggest the "Easy Piano" version.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Hal Leonard Level 5?? Big note or easy piano would be too easy for your son. Aim higher. Your son is considered "early intermediate" and can start playing more substantial music. Your son's piano teacher should make the selection of music book because he/she is most qualified to do so. As a piano teacher, I've seen students bringing sheetmusic that is way over their heads. I can't believe they tried to play that on their own.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
"Big Note" is going to be easier than "Easy Piano". Pop music, Broadway, movie music, and the like are usually more difficult in general for elementary students because of the changing hand positions and syncopated rhythms. They just don't seem to follow what students are learning in method books. My level 3 students can usually do 'big note'. I would think your level 5 child could do 'easy piano'.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
W
wdaveo Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thanks to all of you. Great advice. Thanks, too, for the level guide - very useful!

Dawn

A
A
i often find that easy piano is in fact, not easy. I've talked to other teachers in the area too and they agree. It all depends on the song. Easy piano certainly is easy, but you need to make sure your student understands rythm, key signatrues, how to play chords and move their hands around the piano.

Big note piano tends to have limited hand movements and chords, and easier keys to play in, more appropriate for younger beginners.

Love is a friendship set to music.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission