2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#923806 05/25/08 01:38 PM
B
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
B
Perhaps the forum needs a column called "Students ask questions of Teachers". That could be participatory of the benefit of helping others who have questions.

I feel that most Piano Teacher Topics turn into a tutoring for someone with questions very often diverting the intention of the OP.

I don't think that all piano teachers want to participate in giving the endless steps to learning a subject - it is time consuming - and problematic in that - very often in my mind I wonder whether the person asks good questions or really is ready for this arena.

I have become reluctant to participate because I think I am doing more harm than good. I have answered many, many questions here, I have sent out lots of requested documents, I don't hear back with questions, or comments, and it makes me wonder if I contributed to a problem with them, or supplied a solution. I have become much more concerned about my role in this issue.

Is having another forum for this purpose possible? I think it would be much more specific for the participants and actually be a "HOV LANE" (High Occupancy Vehicle on U.S. Freeways) for them.

Betty

#923807 05/25/08 03:49 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Personally I think this may be a good idea. During your absence I suggested a "gray area" forum that dealt with the place where teachers and non-teachers tend to meet. The topic was less specific.

Sentiment expressed by teachers and non-teachers alike was that things were split already as it was, and members on both sides prefered the status quo.

In regards to not getting feedback on supplied information: it is not good manners, but it may also be a good sign. If something has been understood it gets used with no more questions asked.

I would give it an obvious title, such as "Teacher < > Student Q&A, A&Q" so that someone looking for such a forum would know where to look. HOV Lane could well be ignored since the title does not reflect purpose.

#923808 05/25/08 05:32 PM
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by keystring:
I would give it an obvious title, such as "Teacher < > Student Q&A, A&Q" so that someone looking for such a forum would know where to look. HOV Lane could well be ignored since the title does not reflect purpose.
The title also totally puzzled me (we call 'em "transit lanes" here in my corner of the world), so teacher/student Q&A would be clearer, that's for sure!

Du holde Kunst...
#923809 05/25/08 05:40 PM
B
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
B
"HOV LANE" (High Occupancy Vehicle on U.S. Freeways)is the lane designated for cars with 2 or more occupents where there are less motorists in the lane and one can drive unimpeded at speed limit for long distances.

I was looking for a term that associated "fast track" and this came to mind.

I must say that I enjoy taking the "scenic route" or the "road less traveled" too.

But "HOV" would get you where you are going surely and in quickest of time."

wink

Betty

#923810 05/25/08 06:33 PM
Assuming that enough people want this forum, I strongly suggest a name change given the nature of forums. People looking for something in particular scan titles quickly, and the title should reflect the purpose of the forum. This is an international site and this title will not lead people to think that Teacher-Student Q&A is what they will find.

I certainly share your view of scenic routes which is why in my studies I eschew them. I am not sure, though, that the HOV idea necessarily meshes with a Q&A forum, because this idea implies systematic guided study. That cannot happen within the venu of a discussion group except in a limited manner. Additionally, Q&A will be answered by different teachers having different approaches, and addressed by different students in different situations and contexts.

I think the useful part of your idea exists if enough teachers feel as you do that a separate forum should exist for students asking questions of teachers, or conversely, teachers wishing to bring across an item of teaching to all students. This is what has just happened when John posted the the thread on sight reading in the teacher forum.

#923811 05/26/08 03:41 AM
I agree with Betty. There is no Q&A forum. How about 'bus lane'? That's about the closest we get over here and it kinda echos right.

#923812 05/26/08 09:51 AM
IF this idea is embraced, I have had thoughts about something bidirectional, although I have some reservations that I'll mention at the bottom. I have seen many instances in which teachers would like to impart a particular concept to students, and stress these ideas repeatedly. Instead of being initiated by a student, this would be teacher-initiated. I tried to reflect this in the formula:
Q&A Student <= => Teacher A&Q

The one aspect would be the usual: Student asks a question of teachers, and teachers respond. These questions are sometimes specific to a particular piece and technique, and universal at other times (sight reading, ear training, etc.)

Meanwhile I have seen some teachers representing certain things which they deem important, and try repeatedly to bring these across to students. Why not have a thread initiated by teachers, which becomes the central hub where such concepts can be tried out, questions asked. The teacher doesn't have to write the same thing out multiple times, it's all there in that thread.

Examples I am thinking of from the top of my head:
- Keyboardklutz has thoughts on hand or body use, describes these from time to time, and has invited students to watch some didactic videos
- Betty's ideas are enshrined under the name Piano Power which has a component of practical learning specifically, as well as thoughts on mental attitude and discipline (two threads or one?)

Less broadly, John saw the questions being asked about sight reading and initiated a thread seeming to address students, and outlining approaches to sight reading that he deems important. The aspect I would like to bring out is that this thread was initiated by a teacher addressing students, because a need was seen.

There are times when different teachers have different approaches to a particular problem, and that goes back to some things they hold as a whole. Things don't exist in isolation. We see these little "pedagogy wars" break out, where the asking student is forgotten while teachers battle their ideas. OR a student asks a question, and the answers pouring in clash or are two varied. My thoughts on having a thread dedicated to a particular approach championed by a teacher came from this observation. .... with a caveat, because....

A teacher may see a teacher-to-student thread, in which that teacher's approach runs contrary to his beliefs, and be uncomfortable about what he is seeing. He'll want to say something, and either the didactic wars will break out, or the question moves back to the teacher-to-teacher forum in order to discuss didactic approach. We're back to square one.

Or we're back to the objection that I heard from both sides initially during my proposal, which is that the forums should not become more scattered than they already are. Each thing cross-references, and it is hard to shuttle back and forth - that is the argument that was brought forth.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission