2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,930 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Well, Mason & Hamlin has done it again.

We had a great day!
It was a real pleasure to see some familiar faces from our membership, and to meet new members and their friends/spouses.

The chicken dinner that we shared for lunch was wonderful.

Bruce Clark, our tour leader, did his usual superb job. This was my third or fourth tour and I learn something new every time.

Mason & Hamlin just continues to improve on what is already a great piano. I will write more later (and add more pictures). It's been a long day (just got home) but I wanted to share some pictures with you right now.

Members came from as far away as Michigan and Oregon. Our members are really into pianos :-)

No, these aren't some sort of mechanical insects on their backs. These are rim presses. We got to watch the entire process as they pressed both an inner and outer rim.
[Linked Image]

The big grey box we are filing past on the left is a 36" wide belt sander (try finding one of these at your local Sears).
[Linked Image]

Class is in session...
[Linked Image]

Watching a master craftsman hand-notching a bridge. He sharpens his own tools, and they are seriously sharp!
[Linked Image]

These young ladies are lovingly known as "Trouble" and "Double Trouble" (better known as Sun and Wendy I believe).
[Linked Image]

Continues Below...

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Continued as promised (more to come, later)...

John Citron's friend (and piano teacher with serious credentials) telling Cecil, "yes, you have to practice your scales".
[Linked Image]

Our own John Citron entertaining us
[Linked Image]

Nothing like dueling pianos to get things jumping!
[Linked Image]

We had a great turnout. Members, guests, and some of our friends from Mason & Hamlin
[Linked Image]

If anyone has any other pictures, please feel free to post them here.

More Later...

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

R
R
Thank you Frank and thank you Mason and Hamlin for an absolutely great day. This tour was everything a piano lover could ask for. The administrative staff and craftsmen and cratswomen at M+H opened their workplace to us and gave us a day I will long remember. Bruce Clark, our tour leader, took us through all the steps that go into building a world class piano. We started with the bending of a rim in the basement and ended with the final inspection of a finished piano on the sixth floor. This tour was as good as it gets.

I fell in love with a new AA in a gorgeous Bubinga case. Maybe someday..........

Folks got to play a number of beautiful models they had on display and the highlight was Frank demonstrating that you are never to old to rock n' roll. Yeah Frank!

If any of you have a chance to take this tour in the future, do not hesitate.

Thanks again to the folks at Mason and Hamlin for rolling out the red carpet for us. They are the best.

Gary Lambert

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Frank,
Thanks for the great pics!!

RickG
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Out of curiosity, what are the cost(s) of some of those pianos (to the consumer)?

And, if my schedule matches, count me in for next year (if you do another trip). wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Been waiting to see those pics! Loved the tour last year. A highlight in my piano adventures.

We hope that others post pics and tell us little tidbits that you learned.

As well, some people ID'ing. ;-) Who played what? and What pianos were there to test.

I see Cecil playing! (hi!)

Roberta

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I too would like to extend my thanks to all involved in arranging the M&H tour. In short ... It was WELL WORTH THE TRIP. Thank You very much. thumb

To the Burgett's, Administrative Staff , Craftsperson’s' and a special thanks to Bruce Clark ...many thanks for catering to us and allowing us to disrupt your factory ... what a treat, to think you even arranged the assembly of components around our schedule ... smile wow

I will try to post pics ASAP but I found out last night my neighbors Mom passed and the funeral is tonight ...and then there's golf on Thursday ... sorry.

btw, I did get out of Manchester on time, with 15 mins to spare ... whew. Did stop to confirm directions though. Even told my wife that I did eek -that's a first for me - lol.

ps. Cecil, if you can't find room for that piano, I know Keyboard Carriages does deliver in MI laugh Canton to be exact lol

Maybe next tour, my wife can attend. By then I should have more than ONE song committed to memory ..

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAUL!! and congrats again on 60 yrs of Marriage

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
I would like to thank Frank and everyone at Mason and Hamlin! Special thanks to Bruce Clark who took us through the stages of piano building.

P.S. How does one upload photos?

Frank,
Would you please id the people on the group photo? Its nice to see photo's of who's who.

Thank you,
Nelson

My two cents -- Mason & Hamlin Model A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Fantastic time! Many, many thanks to EVERYONE who had a hand in arranging and executing this! We thoroughly enjoyed the tour, the lunch and everything else! Learned a lot, too!

Some pictures:

M&H Tour Pics

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
R
R
Wow! What an education and what a great, great experience.
It was wonderful to see the pride that the M&H people take in their instruments and to see that we're dealing with a real family operation where everyone cares.

Now...if I could just find a way to trade up to a BB!

Thanks to Mason and Hamlin and to Frank for this terrific event.

Roy

A
A
WOW!!!!!!!
As I've said before...."It just gets better and better"!!
Thanks to all the wonderful folks at M&H. Thank you Frank for arranging the tour and your great playing. Always fun!
Cecil....It's a joyous happening when you perform. Many thanks.
Super "lunch"(a dinner)!
Sorry that we (the Cape Cod crew) were late. I was co-pilot and a poor map reader. No excuse as it was my fourth tour of M&H.
John Citron.....beautiful playing and warm wishes!
IrishMak.....GREAT pics and website. Thanks so much!
Wonderful to see and visit with Paul Mannachino again (M&H Historian and former staff member for many years).
Jeremy Gloo (A441)

A441
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Great seeing all of you at the tour, and special thanks to Bruce who put up with all my questions, and to the folks who asked--no I was not an industry spy wink I was however a rebuilder getting a chance to see how and why things are done in a factory setting, and having an absolutely fabulous time doing it.

This trip really is a must for anyone interested seeing how good pianos are made, if only to get an appreciation for all that goes into it. The access given to all facets of piano making, and Bruces willingness and ability to give direct concise answers to any questions, was greatly appreciated.

Now I have a handful of pics myself, but as computer stupid as I am confused I can't say I know how frown

Ah well --best to all nice meeting so many of you, I'll have to do this again someday smile

Rich Lindahl
Piano Restorations in Central CT
www.rivervalleypiano.com
This was my second time going on the tour. This time my wife and my two older children joined me. We all had a wonderful day and it was a great field trip for my children. Thank you to Mason and Hamlin for the privileage of touring your manufacturing facility and to Frank Baxter for setting it up.

1874 Grotrian-Stienweg Chambre Grand: rebuild completed 9/14/2004
Click for Rebuild Pictures
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
After thought...we all should have stood up and anounced who we are and our PW names.

I'll start the process
front row, PW (Frank), Monster M&H (Les), Paul Monachino (from Mason & Hamlin),

...to the next person

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
Next to Paul Monachino is me, Brian!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
2nd row, standing (basically in the middle- between the heads of Brian and the next person) is me- IrishMak (Mary Alice) and over my shoulder (the bald guy) is my husband, Mike.

-Mak

Kawai MP-4 digital

When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
Originally posted by reliv4all:
Next to Paul Monachino is me, Brian!
The next three are myself Jeff, my daughter Christie, and my wife Debbie. My son Andrew is in the very back row behind me right infront of the tree in the backgound picture

1874 Grotrian-Stienweg Chambre Grand: rebuild completed 9/14/2004
Click for Rebuild Pictures
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
IrishMak

Some great pics you took. I don't remember seeing the piano pounder last year.

Do you remember the 'black keys' that were brown and black? Do you remember the woods that they used?

Roberta

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by lilylady:
IrishMak
Some great pics you took. I don't remember seeing the piano pounder last year.
Do you remember the 'black keys' that were brown and black? Do you remember the woods that they used?
Roberta
Thank you! I can't take credit for them, tho. My husband took the pics and did the clean-up. I just do the "grunt" work of getting them on the site! lol

I did see the black and brown keys on a couple pianos, but I don't recall the wood... Very nice touch on the veneered pianos, tho.

-Mak

Kawai MP-4 digital

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission