2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,049 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Truly, this party is destined to be a 'classic' for many reasons such as the hospitality of our gracious hosts the Ashmans and the many wonderful surprise visits from industry people and of course the guest of honor Frank Baxter.

I was slightly staggered (in a good way) when Rich Galassini mentioned that he checked out his computer files to realize that he and I have "known" each other (over the internet) for 10 years now, going back to R.M.M.P. days. Yet it was only on Saturday night when we finally got to meet in the flesh. And it was a great, happy meeting, like long-lost brothers.

But there is another special thing about the party that I wanted to mention, and that is the generosity of John Elliott from Geneva International who unfortunately was tied up (working like a dog) and couldn't make it to the party, but made a quite generous donation to the ends of furnishing the party with many of the needed supplies. It was a sumptuous spread from food to beverage and many attendees and our hosts made great contributions to the spread, but a lot of it was from John Elliott and Geneva International (U.S. distributor of the hosts' wonderful Petrof III) - something most of the partygoers didn't know. This was very gracious of John and Geneva, I think. I just wish he could have been there.

Regards,

Rick Clark

Rick Clark

Piano tuner-technician
K
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
K
Thank you John.
It was a very elaborate and scrumptious table or two of decadence.

Hmmmm. . .
That gives me an idea.
I wonder if Cecil has a spare CC or two laying around to show off at my next piano party?????

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It sounds like a memorable evening for all and quite a houseful!! Can't wait to see the pics.

Cathy

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Well, the best I can do is a shot of the way my car looked in the O'Hare remote parking lot at 6 AM Sunday morning, when I got back. [Linked Image]

But seriously, folks, it was a great party. Thanks, Joy, for arranging it, thanks, Jackie and Phillip, for hosting it, and thanks to the Geneva International (Petroff wholesaler) folks for their help!

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
J
Joy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
[Linked Image]
Brian (BriGuy65) was among the first to sample Jackie's wonderful Petrof grand.

[Linked Image]

While Brian played Chopin, the kitchen was a beehive of activity. Rick (aka "the Continental") surveys the unfolding of our movable feast. That's our hostess Jackie checking her lasagna while JohnC and Palindrome look in on Penny's preparations.

[Linked Image]

Among the goodies were pork and leek dumplings with hoisin sauce, sesame egg noodle salad with black mushrooms, chives and cilantro, beef roll-ups, chow fun with white fish, chili, Penny's Sensation Salmon-and-Canteloupe Creation, empanadas, spanokopita, green beans with garlic, crudities, fried crispy noddles, plus fabulous desserts. Obviously, JohnC (clutching Czech beer in homage to Jackie's Czech piano) and Palindrome came to the right place.

J
Joy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
[Linked Image]
Time to eat! Here's BriGuy, Larry Fine (one of our surprise guests), Mynor (Penny's spouse), and Philip Ashman (Jackie's spouse).

[Linked Image]

It's great to see so many of our regulars in person. Here's Del Fandrich, Rich Galassini, Frank Baxter, and me. Rick says 'Watch the hand, Frank!'

[Linked Image]
The salmon was marinated in teriyaki sauce before it was grilled and skewered into the canteloupe.

J
Joy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
[Linked Image]
More surprise guests: Steve Cohen checks out the California Shiraz with Ori. There was a wide array of wines, beers, soft drinks and bottle water to complement our multicultural feast.

[Linked Image]
We were all happy to welcome Jonathan Finger (Klavierbauer) to our So Cal fold.

[Linked Image]
Rich Galassini spoke on behalf of all of us in expressing our appreciation to Frank Baxter for all his efforts in creating Piano World. Then he presented Frank with a special gift put together by the So Cal group and other friends of the Forum.

J
Joy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
[Linked Image]
Frank was very moved as he read our gift card. Some of the signatories included people who were unable to attend the party.

[Linked Image]
Looking on as Frank read the card aloud were Mrs. Fandrich, Larry Fine, Del Fandrich and Ori.

[Linked Image]
Time out for some magic! "Watch me turn this diamond into a ruby to match your dress!" Steve Cohen announces. And he DID!

eek

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A very special thank you to the Ashmans for hosting the party. You have a wonderful home in a wonderful town (I know, I used to live there... I do miss that part of Orange County). The piano was a well oiled machine ready for any and all that would play on it.

Another special thank you to Joy for personally inviting me and for bringing other esteemed guests as well.

I arrived around 7:30 and feel very privileged to have visited with almost everyone at the party. When I first arrived, I must have knocked on the door for about 2 minutes. I saw people through the large glass door, but I didn't want to just walk in (which is what I ended up doing). I think I walked in mostly unnoticed, and managed to settle in for a minute before meeting everyone...

Rick Clark was the first person I met at the party, and we got a chance to speak for quite some time. The moment I started speaking with Rick, I felt right at home. Terrific guy.

John C and I discussed his B and and his wandering long A (recently spotted on Ebay). I will make sure to mention our conversation to DH and look for that backstage pass in the mail.

I enjoyed hearing about Ori's side of the business, especially being so close to Steinway Hall.

Frank B gave me some insight to how this website came about, and his previous involvement with the retail side of music. I was amazed to hear that he doesn't own an acoustic piano, but you would never know this the way he played on the Petrof III.

Steve Cohen is a really talented magician, but was almost made by a 2 of hearts and an (5?) year old. I didn't get enough time to speak with Steve, but the few times we spoke gave me the impression that he is a really charismatic and genuine individual.

Del was a blast to speak with. I learned about his (almost involuntary) involvement with an infamous 12 ft. piano, and the stun on the Pearl River rep's face to whom he told about it.

Jonathan and I shared a few retail war stories. I thanked him for teaching me to create an ö on the keyboard. A real treat to meet you Jonathan.

Rich Galassini was extremely friendly and wonderful to chat with. I didn't know much about Cunningham Pianos, but I tend to put them on a pedestal in my mind now that I have met Rich. 17 years... wow.

Larry Fine was also a joy to speak with. I got the skinny on the origins of his book. I wish I had more time to talk with him (for free that is).

Joy was exactly as her name sounds. She is a real socialite. It was a pleasure to meet with you Joy and I look forward to doing so again.

Penny told me about an interesting correlation between her father and my boss' sister (no, it's not what you think). I didn't realize she was a T.O. resident prior to moving to O.C. It was very nice meeting with you Penny.

I was surprised I hadn't met Kenny before given how close he lives to our stores. Very down to earth, and I enjoyed our conversation very much. Kenny, I do hope you visit our new OC store when it opens. Stop by the Santa Monica store sometime if you are ever in the area.

Briguy played the piano very well, and I was shocked to hear he only took it up 3 years ago (I hope I got that right, so many people, I may have this mixed up now).

I don't recall meeting Palindrome, which is a shame. I would have really liked to have spoken with him.

To everyone at the party, I had a wonderful time. I look forward to the next meeting!

Jeff Bauer | Keyboard Concepts

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Restored Steinway

My soundcloud page
J
Joy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Don't go away—there's more!

[Linked Image]
Jeffrey (Gearhead) wowed us with an original composition. Although he has attended our piano parties before, this was the first time he shared his music. He followed up that piece with an arrangement of "Love Story." We look forward to hearing more at future So Cal parties.

[Linked Image]
What's a So Cal Piano Party without our trademark Piano Pile-Up Portrait? Left to right, here are Jackie's close friend (who checked in to see what a success the party was), Jackie and Philip Ashman, Kenny, Jonathan, Penny, Frank B, Quetzal, Brian, JohnC, Angeleno Jazzer (I can't believe how he slipped in quietly and blended right in, chatting everyone up. Look at how relaxed he is here! He gets my vote for El Socialite Supremo ), Rick, me, and Mynor (standing behind Rick).

Sorry we missed corraling Palindrome (who had to catch a Chicago plane), Jeffrey, Klavierbauer, Steve C, Ori, Rich G, Larry Fine, the Fandrich's and several others under the piano ---- but next time, we WILL!

smile :p laugh wink cool

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I too would like to express my thanks to the Ashmans for opening their beautiful home to us all. It was a terrific evening.

It was really great getting to meet all the out of town clebrities! We all know traveling on business can keep one busy. Thanks to all of you for taking time out of your busy schedules to be there. Your are a great bunch of folks. I sure hope to get to see you all again some time.

It was of course great to see some of the old faces again and a few new ones (Gearhead and Jeff aka AJ).

And lastly I can't tell you how badly I wanted to ask Larry Fine why he didn't bring Moe and Curly, but I bit my lip and didn't. laugh But Larry, if you're reading this would you please bring them next year? Nyuk, nyuk,nyuk! wink

There are few joys in life greater than the absence of pain.
Ori Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It was great meeting EVERYONE at the party!!!
All that "performed" did so beautifully, although my favorite was the short "comic relief" and Steve's magic show.
I was "snowed in" as my flight was cancelled due to the storm back east and was quite down...I never imagined that after arriving to the party I'd be happy to have stayed another day smile

Frank, Rich, Steve and I came straight from the NAMM show, where we "abducted" Larry Fine.
There was never a question about him coming with us as he was simply surrounded and dragged out of the show (Rich is a big guy) wink
Driving back, Larry said that he too had a great time...and since he isn't posting here I thought I'd let everyone that attended the party know.
I guess we are simply as nice a bunch as anyone could expect from a group of Internet oddballs wink

Special thanks to the Ashmans for hosting, and to Joy and Penny for organizing.
I also must apologize for leaving in a hurry, especially to Penny that was playing at the time.
Please forgive me for leaving in the middle of your performance, but the "guys" were running out and with my flawed navigational skills and lack of local roads knowledge I could have ended up in Mexico (actually it doesn't sound so bad...oh well, maybe next year) smile

Ori Bukai - Owner/Founder of Allegro Pianos - CT / NYC area.

One can usually play at our showroom:

Bluthner, Steingraeber, Estonia, Haessler, Sauter, Kawai, Steinway, Bosendorfer and more.

www.allegropianos.com
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Great pictures! thumb

Nice to put a few more faces to PW screen names. smile

Joy... I was expecting to see a long hair/pony tail guy in the pictures... what happened? wink

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Just got back, need sleep:-)

But...
The party was fantastic!
Our hosts and the organizers did an incredible job, couldn't have asked for better.

And yes, the card and gift from the members floored me.

It was wonderful to finally meet so many friends.

Many thanks to Penny and her family for allowing me to crash at their beautiful home, and for those "worlds best" pancakes:-) And to Kenny for the ride to the airport (and the backup plan if I got stuck).

I'll write more after I've had some sleep.

Best,

- Frank B.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

F
F
Looks like great fun--Frank, you've really created a true community! A wonderful thing.

Sarah
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
wow oh wow... it must have been a wonderful evening.. so happy for those of you who did attend

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
De hair, boss, the hair! It's gone! laugh laugh

Looks like a great evening. I'm bummed I couldn't be there.

Thanks for posting the pictures!

Nina

K
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
K
Joy, great pics.
Thanks.
Tell Rick not to worry about that hand he can see.
Worry about the ones he can't see. shocked

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you for the informative reviews and pic's! It certainly is enjoyable to see everyone having a grand time! Glad all of you had the chance to meet Richard, I mean, Frank!! (hehe)!!

Kudo's to Kenny and Frank for displaying their PW name tags!!

For those of you who plan to attend future gatherings/events and would like to forgo the self-stick image, in favor of a PW "keepsake" name tag, please PM me and I will gladly forward one of these little treasures to you.

[Linked Image]
How could anyone want to miss out on owning one of these little gems! laugh

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Better late than never,

Thank you for the hospitality from all. The party was a great time. Frankly, I felt like you were all old friends that I haven't seen in person for a while. I never once felt that uncomfortable "new people' feeling.

I know Keith Kerman and Norbert really wanted to be there - I hope they make it next time.

Jeffery (Gearhead) had better play more next time. Rick and Joy, it was a joy to spend time with you. Ori, Steve, Angelino, Del, Larry, and Frank, you are the reasons this industry is so much fun. Your knowledge and passion are unmistakable. I am learning from each of you. Jackie and Penny, great hostesses! And JohnC. and Palindrome - I wish we could have chatted more.

Kenny - I missed you totally! Come to Philly!

Also I am sorry so many of us left so early. I had a redeye to catch home and it was my fault. I wish we could have spent the entire evening there. That evening was not about business, it was not about obligation, it was not even about pianos. It was about spending time with friends who I have genuinely come to care about.

And Terrytunes - I want a tag! wink

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission