2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,124 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
kathyk Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
It's formally done now. JF, Puffin and I just got back from Portland after spending a fun afternoon roaming the Old Port with Bernard, Lilylady and Beelady. We saw your parents (and everyone else) off last night. They were headed to the Rangely area for what sounds to be a great continuation of their adventures. All in all, turned out to be an absolutely perfect party. What a fantastic group!

Pictures to come.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Kathy and John,

Thank You for such a wonderful time. The food was great ... including Maine fresh lobster rolls and the company best of all...!!!

It's official, everyone has been practicing their brains out, everyone sounded great on the piano ... and ... Kathy's friend on the oboe and Kathy's daughter on the violin. Yes, trio with mom daughter and friend.

It was very nice to see everyone.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/EJBuckPerformances
kathyk Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
What a great party this turned out to be. I was a little worried about how many/few people would make the trek, although I knew that even a handful of you wonderful people would make a memorable and fun packed party. Well, suffice it to say, this party exceeded my expectations. There were a few last minutes sign-ups, like Ax and his family and Rusty Fingers and hers. The surprise of their arrivals made their arrivals all the more exciting.

Larry Buck (my hero) volunteered to prep the piano. He arrived at around 9 am and spent a good 3 hours. It's so much smoother now and the bass is crunchier - it's just great. I can't wait to sit and play for awhile to really take in the full effect. I can't thank him enough for his time and expertise.

The kids were all animated but well behaved. They added that zip to the party that only kids can do. They gave the pets a run for their money, but Polly the dog for one, did not tire of the attention.

Whenever I do photos at these parties, I always manage to miss snapping one of someone at the piano. This time it was John Citron, who played better than I've ever heard him, but also brought his cool gadget that plays the other parts of ensemble pieces so he can fill in the piano part. Hopefully someone else got a good shot of him playing.

As always, the music was continuous and wonderful. Thank you all for making this a smash success of a party.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The food was amazing. It was sort of like the fish and loaves story. I had heard of Terry's famous fruit tart, but it blew me away. It was a visual and gustatory work of art.By the time everyone arrived, the refrigerator was bursting. OMG, did we eat well, and JF, Puffin and I will continue to do so throughout the week. [insert piggy smiley].

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Billy Jo to the left, Beelady and John Citron, with Rustyfingers daughter in front. Billy Jo is the local oboist I had mentioned. She did a piece with me - can't remember the name - a very showy, oboe solo, standard repertoire . She blew everyone away. We also did the Gabriel's Horn from the movie the Mission - the piece that she and I played at a wedding last month, when we first met. Then, as mentioned Puffin, she and I did an impromptu Taco Bell Canon.

[Linked Image]

Axtremus playing a rousing set of variations on a Chinese folk song

[Linked Image]

Bernard and Rusty Fingers

Choochyfingers (did I get that right?) wins the prize for the coolest shoes. Although, notice how Jeremy's shoes are glowing in every single picture in which you can see his feet.

[Linked Image]

Jeremy Gloo here wowing us with his old chestnuts. Look at those shoes!
Oh, yeah, if you noticed the glass on the piano, (gasp!) no, it wasn't someone's soda. Larry Buck plopped it on the piano for tips because Jeremy playing his old standards like a pro.

[Linked Image]

Larry Buck and Axtremus

kathyk Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

Quirts girls are both so cute, personable and talented. What a pair!

[Linked Image]

Linda is doing an amazing job having just started piano lessons less than a year ago.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lilylady at the piano with Terrytunes giving her tips

[Linked Image]

Quirt with one of his twins and Rusty's daughter. The pets provided ongoing non-musical entertainment.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

kathyk Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LL, Bernard and Beelady spent the night. The following morning LL played her heart out and sounded brilliant.

[Linked Image]

Relaxing while listening to LL

[Linked Image]

Here we are at the Portland seafood place with lobsties in hand. They went off,blinking and vibrating when our food was ready to pick up. Puffin didn't think it was funny when I told her this is how real lobsters act right before they get thrown into the pot.

[Linked Image]

Our final goodbyes. What a great weekend

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
More pics and notes will be posted here from me, but in the meantime you might want to check over for some pics and notes starting to be posted on the Well Tempered Forum (part of the old coffee room group from this Piano Forum) about this fabulous piano party (THE MAINE EVENT)

http://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/6010061175

Many of the members attending are very active here on several PW Forums!

LL

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What a fantastic and memorable gathering at KathyK and Jack Frost's beautiful home!

My piano gathering adventure started with a delightful tour of downtown Portsmouth NH hosted by our informative tour guide, Lilylady; who grew up in this area.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Having our appetite sparked by the luring aromas of the local eateries, we stopped for a quick bite at a local bakery. After placing our order we were surprised to meet up with Beelady and Bernard whom we weren't expecting to meet until our arrival a couple hours further north into Maine!
[Linked Image]

(OK, so they looked the wrong way when I took the pic!)

Then it was over the Piscataqua River bridge and onward to the great state of Maine!
[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Kathy and JF already had the first course selection of food laid out upon our arrival.
[Linked Image]

A few additional pics from an afternoon of delightful entertainment:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The crowd became a bit rowdy when the lobsta sandwiches were placed on the table...
[Linked Image]
but there was plenty to go around!

I can't express enough my delight in meeting with the very special people who attend (and host) these gatherings and the joy they have added to my life with their bond of music and friendship.

Thank you so much, Kathy, JF and Puffin for your efforts and hospitality in making this a memorable gathering.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]
Lilylady at the piano with Terrytunes giving her tips

OMG.. Lilylady will get a good laugh at this caption!! laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Bernard... It's always so much fun meeting up with you at these events! I'm so glad you were able to join us!

[Linked Image]

Uhmmm.... Uhmmmm...
Rustyfingers and Terrytunes planning/discussing a DUET for a future event!!
[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh, what a beautiful party!

Thanks kathyk and family for a wonderful time, and to all the accomplished musicians for the entertainment.

And these pix are terrific. I think my favorite is the one of TT and LL at the piano. Awesome.

Definitely worth a drive through hurricane Hanna!

If I had ever learnt, I should have been a great proficient.
[Linked Image]
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Kathy and Jon,

I want to thank you again for the really great time on Saturday. I really enjoyed the delicious food, and your wonderful Seiler grand.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Impressions of the piano and musicians -

I was anxious to try out Kathy's Seiler grand since during my search Seiler was about the only brand that I didn't find to play. Nice. I was expecting it to be bright for some reason, and it wasn't so. Nice rich bass, and the melodies could be brought out ever so much. The action is different than mine but I can't explain why. I could feel some resistance but always want 'some' as when pianos are too easy to play, keys are as easily played cleanly. There was plenty of umph when needed yet it also played quietly. It must be a joy to play on a daily basis Kathy!

Kathy and an oboist started off and played so beautifully that it inspired the rest of us to have a go at it!

Rustyfingers was a surprise to see at the party and I was so glad that she shared her Rootbeer Rag with us. I giggled as she played it...it is that type of piece. Oh she'll say she made a few mistakes but it didn't matter - it was fast and furious and funny! I hope she keeps it up, as I am going to ask to hear it again and again! Number 20 here:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/7029.html

Jerry Gloo is always such a joy to listen to. Smooth classic oldies, lots of improv. Think better/best nightclub music. Which is why it was so funny when LB put a tip jar on the piano!!! We burst out laughing!

Linda Gloo - well my goodness, to only have had lessons for about 7 months and she got up and shared a couple of pieces. I looked at her book and saw the pages covered with gold stars - no wonder!!!

John Citron sparkled playing some Mozart pieces. Now several times I have heard John play, many times Chopin pieces and I would have loved to hear them again, but nope, he surprised us with Mozart and then later with showing us his new toy - the play along with the orchestra CD. That is going to keep him busy for awhile.

Bernard's style can always be detected, even if you are in the other room. He has a touch and feeling when he plays like no other. It is like he caresses the piano. Beautiful, as always Bernard.

I always have to make Terrytunes get up and play. Shyly she would like to be the last one, when everyone else is a little bit tipsy and half have gone home. But no way girl...not with the progress that you have made! In the style of Jerry, she played As Time Goes By, which I love her arrangment of, and then some Liszt. Nicely done, TT!

Axtremus played, well, like Axtremus! We always know that we are in for a treat when he sits at the piano. From strict classical to improv. This time on unknown melodies (I think at least one was his), he is always someone to look forward to showing off his virtuosity. One other thing to note, whenever Ax gets up to play, the music rack goes down. I asked him about it once and his reply is that the player 'hears' the piano much better when there isn't a board in the way.

Kathy also played a couple of other wonderful pieces for us (she is an advanced player) and the following morning she introduced us to a Poulenc piece that she 'forgot' to play the day before. Hope she does it in Nov at Jeffrey's for all of you. Kathy also 'almost' forgot the 2 blueberry pies she made and now I see she forgot the bagels for breakfast. Kathy is getting older you know!

Puffin as you read above, surprised us with playing the violin! Lovely variations of Pachabel's Canon, along with the oboist and KK at the piano.

Then the 2 Quirtlets delighted us with their playing. Both played the piano, and then we were serenaded with Aura Lee and MaryAnne with a guitar accompanying (she is just starting). Talented 'lets' Quirt!

I played 2 pieces that I have been working on all summer. Schubert's Standchen (Serenade) and with all too much effort, Rach's Elegie which wasn't ready. The audience was mean. They wouldn't take any excuse...although I tried. The bench was too low, I couldn't read through my bifocals, somebody left me with sweaty keys, my knees were shaking etc.
Hopefully I redeemed myself later with Rach's Vocalise and Schumann's Arabeske.

One of these days we are going to get Quirt and Beelady playing. I know they both do. How 'bout next time, guys?

There was a time when I would have said you're nuts if you think I am getting together with other pianists and actually play something. (and didn't for the first few gatherings) but now I really look forward to them. I love that each and everyone shares their music with us, and I love getting exposed to music that I get inspired to learn. Great group of musicians we have on these forums!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I hope that I have some pics to share that have not been already seen above...

THE MAINE VICTORIAN HOME:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

THE PIANO AWAITS:

[Linked Image]

THE HOSTESS PLAYS:

[Linked Image]

CHECK OUT THESE FANCY PIANO PARTY SHOES!:

[Linked Image]

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
RUSTYFINGERS anything but rusty!

[Linked Image]

THE TIP JAR!

[Linked Image]

TERRYTUNES TART!

[Linked Image]

BLUEBERRY PIE FOR BREAKFAST!

[Linked Image]

WINDOW SHOPPING IN OLD TOWN PORTLAND (on the waterfront)

[Linked Image]

We missed you Frank B, but did you notice the Piano World Forum mugs on the breakfast table?

Sounds like you guys had awesome fun!

I envy you guys

nUtChAi

Kawai K-5

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot (1888 - 1965)
M
M
Hi Kathyk:

I am a new poster here, but might have been interested.

I come from Rumford Maine. To namedrop, my parents used to take me to Brunswick Maine every week for my piano lessons with Mr. William Eves.

I now work with computers and live in Vermont, but am still a passionate amateur pianist (2007 Boston Amateur Piano Competition alumnus).

Anyway, sounds like a fun time was had by all.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Fantastic!! Really sorry I had to miss it.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
We were hoping that you might show up Peyton!

Ed B, we were looking for you as well. ;-)

Mozart, hope that you will watch for some of the other parties coming up in New England. There is usually something during the winter and then another in May after the Mason Hamlin Tour.

Check out the past posts in this section about that tour and sign up as soon as Frank posts..it is always a sell out!

Then there may be a party or two in NYC and Long Island that some of us New Englanders travel down to (together)

There is also the Fredericks Museum Recitals (see under Terrytunes post - she usually has a blurb about that for their website)

kathyk Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Mozart, it sounds like you would have a great time at these parties and Peyton, I was sorry you weren't able to make it.

One other thing I wanted to mention is how people seem to have progressed. I'm not surely that their playing has necessarily improved as much as the performance anxiety has diminished. And everyone knows how bad nerves can completely muck up one's performance. I've noticed that a number of us have become much more relaxed when playing. Terrytunes, for example, blew me away this time with her Lizst Consolation. I've never heard her play more beautifully.

So, one more important reason to attend piano parties - facing off with those annoying performance jitters.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission