2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
WOW! is all I can say. I'm still on cloud nine after the tour on Saturday, November 5th! The Fredrick's have quite a collection there, and their explanation and performances left us spell-bound.

For those not familiar with the tour, we start with a 'modern' piano. A 1907 Bluthner, and end with instruments made around the time of Mozart and Beethoven. Various famous manufacturers are represented, Bluthner, Erard, Pleyel, Broadwood, Streicher, Graf, and Clementi.

Frederick Museum

I truly want thank Patricia and her husband Edmund Frederick for assembling this collection. Without them, we would not have a chance to see the gamut of working pianos from these different periods. Their love of music and the piano is what made this possible. In this respect, they share with us the very thing that has made Piano World a possiblity as well.

The reality is, however, and Edmund told this to my dad, that once they can no longer continue doing this, the museum will cease. We need to support them not only financially through contributions, but also through publicity and recognition. As a society, we tend to take things for granted, and this can't happen with this very unique entity. This year, in lieu of my contribution to public radio, I am donating the same sum to the museum.

In the same conversation, the subject came up about doing a documentary on the museum. Edmund seemed a bit overwhelmed by the prospect, but like anything else, this could be done in pieces.

I am considering contacting WGBH TV to see if they could do something on them. If not, perhaps we could put something together. This could be done with off camera dialog as well as live demontrations. I am not a videographer, this is just some ideas that have been floating around. So maybe some members here, with more experience could help.

Anyway, it was a fun day, we had a chance to meet in person another member RedTop (Gary Lambert), who was just as spellbound as the rest of us. In addition, I want to thank TerryTunes for being kind enough to contact Patricia to make this possible. Without her, I never would have known about the museum.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For those of you who subscribe to Clavier magazine, Patricia Frederick mentioned there will be an opportunity to read further about the Historical Piano Collection in a feature story scheduled for the Nov 2005 edition; due out shortly.

I suggest that if you don't subscribe to Clavier magazine, you run to the nearest news stand and purchase a copy! wink

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I have been hoping that you would post about your visit! It surely sounds like a treat, and I am sorry that I was not able to attend. If there is another chance at a later date, I will try to make it.

I think the idea of video taping them is great! I hope that this can be done.

Did you get to play any of the treasures?

There is also a wonderful music box museum in Wiscasset, Maine (Musical Wonder House) that has a tour by the owner. Alas, Mr. Konvalinka was not open this fall when I went. I went several years ago and remember being in awe of a Grand Piano which played itself. Actually, it played Rachmaninoff playing himself!

These small owner run museums are rare and do need our patronage.

Roberta

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
The Frederick's certainly are very special people to have put the museum together. It certainly was/is a monumental task, borne of love, I have to think!!!

John, a documentary of the museum would be awesome, always, of course, allowing, that the Frederick's are open to the idea. And the publicity might open some doors to help with funding, etc.

It would be a HUGE SHAME for the museum to close, shame isn't BIG enough a word - it'd be a DISASTER if the museum closes. Certainly there is something we can help do to ensure it stays open for generations to come.

This place is a treasure house for not only pianists, but for all who love piano music!

Anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Robert: I've been to the Musical Wonder House, yes, it's another wonderful place to visit. And the piano it just too much!

Has anyone been to the PaperHouse in Rockport, MA, I think it is??? Everything is supposed to be made of paper, including a......PIANO. THAT ought to be a real doozy!?

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/107473/1.html
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The PaperHouse - Sure...it is just down the street from here! Fun to see things made from papers from all over the country, and then varnished, AND still standing!

The piano is actually just 'covered' in rolled paper. They would pick a theme for different pieces of furniture. Like showing on the front of the roll, headlines from different cities in USA.

piano

more on the paper house

Robert(a) ;-)

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
J
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by lilylady:
I have been hoping that you would post about your visit! It surely sounds like a treat, and I am sorry that I was not able to attend. If there is another chance at a later date, I will try to make it.

I think the idea of video taping them is great! I hope that this can be done.

Did you get to play any of the treasures?

There is also a wonderful music box museum in Wiscasset, Maine (Musical Wonder House) that has a tour by the owner. Alas, Mr. Konvalinka was not open this fall when I went. I went several years ago and remember being in awe of a Grand Piano which played itself. Actually, it played Rachmaninoff playing himself!

These small owner run museums are rare and do need our patronage.

Roberta
I played numerous instruments afterwards. I was like a kid in a candy store. laugh

I love the 1907 Bluthner. This is a truly nice intrument that I would love to go back and visit again some day. I played the Debussy Arabesque No. 1 (rather poorly I must admit).

I also played a Clementi piano sonata and a Field Nocturne on the Clementi grand. I can see how the piano had started to grow by then in comparison to the the earlier Viennese pianos. The Field Nocturne melted into the room like butter. The only thing I didn't like was the touch. In comparision to the later pianos, the action felt weird and limited.

The Conrad Graf piano and the early Bosies were nice too. I like the way immer-stimmer effects come out so easily. I tried some Schubert Klavierstueke and a couple of Impromtus from the D. 935 set.

As I went about my tasting, I also played a couple of Streicher instruments. These have a very clear tone, and my dad who knows nothing about music or pianos, pointed out that the 1868 Streicher is very much like my Vogel! This makes me wonder if Schimmel has some kind of link back to Streicher either through master-craftsman, or designs.

Anyway, I would love to go back again and really visit with the Fredericks and their wonderful collection of pianos.

JeanneW - I sent an email off to WGBH requesting that they look into a documentary. If possible, perhaps we could do something with other members. It would require getting a decent camera, not a home-quality digi-cam, but a more professional system. We would also need to write up a script and some storyboards, etc. so we know what we are doing.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Another thought on documentation.

I have never pursued this, but I heard that our local TV station in Gloucester has equipment for taping and classes set up for learning and sharing on the local station.

Maybe this is also available elsewhere? Good equipment plus editing equipment etc. Could be a nice project for someone that had the interest. Do I? yes, but my plate is too full to do the first project that I was interested in.

Give me another lifetime!

Roberta

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission