2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (APianistHasNoName, Bruce Sato, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Frank, sorry to have missed you. Things really didn't slow down until Sunday. Did you at least get coffee and/or champagne from us?

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by BoseEric:
Frank, sorry to have missed you. Things really didn't slow down until Sunday. Did you at least get coffee and/or champagne from us?
No, but I didn't try either. I'm sure the young lady at the front desk would have seen to it if I'd mentioned we'd discussed it.

I'll hold you to it next time though :-)

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

Incidentally, of all the people who promised to buy me a drink, take me to lunch/dinner, etc.
Scott was the only one who came through.
Thanks Scott :-)

I really was going to buy the next round, too bad you had to go to a meeting.
Gee, I've never heard that one before... ;-)

Thanks for the "hang," it was fun.

Host and Co-Executive Producer of the 7 time Emmy award winning public television series: The Piano Guy
www.scotthouston.com www.playpianoinaflash.com
A few of the people I spoke with indicated they didn't feel NAMM was doing enough at the grass-roots level to inspire new musicians.

I know NAMM has the new "Wanna Play?" program running now, don't know how successful it is.

There is so much competition for people's attention these days, it's more difficult to convince them of the pleasure and satisfaction you get from making your own music.
I'm happy to report that NAMM has just returned as an underwriter (along with Pearl River and Roland) for Season 7 of The Piano Guy (my weekly PBS series). laugh

There is not a much more "pure play" on the grass-roots, inspiring new musicians, enjoying making music front as my show.

I was really thrilled with this year's NAMM from this industry standpoint: The last 5-6 years have been marked with a lot of positive discussion and many disparate programs, initiatives, and programs all "dipping their toes in the water" of recreational music making. Although everyone "felt" in their hearts is was the right way to move, NAMM and the industry being as big a ship as they are took a while to get things turned and moving in one direction. I really heard and felt for the first time this year a united, earnest, coming from all fronts, push towards building the market through creating more happy life-long music makers.

One great example is the new RMM (recreational music making) NAMM site. I'd encourage everyone to check it out as it's chock-full of research, videos, and other things all relating to the topic. Finally anyone in or out of the industry can find out RMM info in a sort of "one-stop-shop." NAMM\'s new RMM website

Host and Co-Executive Producer of the 7 time Emmy award winning public television series: The Piano Guy
www.scotthouston.com www.playpianoinaflash.com
B
B
Originally posted by Piano World:
Frank "The Piano World Guy" Baxter, and Scott "The Piano Guy" Houston
[Linked Image]

Incidentally, of all the people who promised to buy me a drink, take me to lunch/dinner, etc.
Scott was the only one who came through.
Thanks Scott :-)

I really was going to buy the next round, too bad you had to go to a meeting.
Frank, thank goodness I didn't cut your heads off in this picture. It was nice meeting you with Scott. I was the "Will You Take My Picture With Scott Guy" all week!

Brett P.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
To get some sense of the size and scope of the show, check out these pictures from the NAMM folks themselves...

http://www.thenammshow.com/open/dayonegallery/

http://www.thenammshow.com/open/daytwogallery/

http://www.thenammshow.com/open/daythreegallery/

http://www.thenammshow.com/open/dayfourgallery/

Here is an excerpt from a NAMM news article:

105th NAMM Show Closes with Record Breaking Finish
Vibrant Show Sets Positive Tone for Music Products Industry's 2007 Sales Year

NAMM, the trade association of the international music products industry, today announced final registration and exhibitor numbers for the 2007 NAMM Show. At show close, NAMM reported a four percent increase in overall registration for a grand total of 84,695 registrants.

The association previously announced breaking the all-time record of exhibitors with 1,535 companies displaying products at this year's NAMM Show. International attendance showed an eight percent increase for a total of 9,889 registrants from more than 100 countries.

During the four-day event, buyers and sellers of musical instruments and products held meetings, wrote orders and shared opinions about the year ahead. In addition to the great business opportunities, as many regular show attendees know, there were also plenty of "only at a NAMM show" moments to meet and interact with some of the greatest artists in the world who regularly attend.

"We were gratified to see the industry come together during these challenging times to work together in order to seize the many opportunities ahead of us in the coming year," said Joe Lamond, president and CEO, NAMM. "NAMM is pleased to serve its Members by producing the NAMM Show which fuels our 'circle of benefits,' where show revenues are reinvested back into the industry through market-building programs, partnerships and initiatives that drive more interest in making music."

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

B
B
Man, what's with the 50 year olds throwing down gang signs? Pretty pathetic.

H
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Just another fraternal organization against mandatory retirement. And how nice. They brought their lovely children too...

[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by hv:
Just another fraternal organization against mandatory retirement. And how nice. They brought their lovely children too...

[Linked Image]
I thought these were the greeters at the Steinway booth, part of their effort to reach a younger crowd :-)

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Interesting that in all the NAMM gallery photos I couldn't find one acoustic piano.

Not even the one with lines around the block waiting to be played. wink

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Sorry, I know this isn't strictly on topic, but what is the National Piano Traveler's Association? I did a quick search, but nothing. It certainly has an intriguing name at least. smile

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Sorry, I know this isn't strictly on topic, but what is the National Piano Traveler's Association? I did a quick search, but nothing. It certainly has an intriguing name at least. smile
---------------------------------------------
From their web site:

Since 1904, almost one hundred years ago, the NPTA has been an integral part of the world’s piano industry and is the oldest trade group under the banner of NAMM.

Back in 1901 a group of 52 piano dealers banded together to form an organization known as Piano Dealers of America, ostensibly to combat unscrupulous tactics used by some merchants to market their pianos. Remember, in those days the piano was the second most popular consumer item in America! Did you know there were 325,000 pianos built in the United States in the year 1923. What happened from then to now?

Also on the scene was the Piano Manufacturers Association (PMA) formed primarily to “black-list” lazy workers, strikers, and (if you can believe it) disloyal and dishonest piano travelers!

Well, this raised the dander of those travelers who went before us, and the National Piano Travelers Association came into existence in 1904, its initial purpose being to counteract some of the PMA’s actions. Most likely their efforts weren’t too effective, but the fact that a group of traveling salesmen got together at each music convention to meet and discuss mutual problems (and probably to swap a few lies, too!) shows the common bond that grew and grew

http://www.pianotravelers.com/
--------------------------------------
They have a big gathering the night before the NAMM show starts. There's good food and drink, with lots of piano industry veterans getting together to swap stories and talk about the industry.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by Piano World:
Originally posted by hv:
[b] Just another fraternal organization against mandatory retirement. And how nice. They brought their lovely children too...

[Linked Image]
I thought these were the greeters at the Steinway booth, part of their effort to reach a younger crowd :-) [/b]
They were the greeters at Steinway! laugh

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Great post w/links Frank...thanks again

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You know those upside down peace signs are just that right? Peace signs? Kids today are suprisingly similar to the older generation with window dressings to help them feel different. But they're really not. On the one hand they look hip, on the other hand they are Rocky Horror Picture Show ca. 1978.

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
A few videos from the NAMM show...

http://www.pianoworld.com/TotalLinker/display.php?catnum=10

These are posted in our new User Generated Links section ( http://www.pianoworld.com/TotalLinker/index.php )

I found about 80 NAMM 2007 videos for guitars/amps/drums etc., but only a couple for piano/keyboards.
Come on Piano Industry professionals, if you want to reach a new generation you gotta get with it!

I would like to see everyone using this new section on PW to post links to Videos, MP3, and interesting threads in the forums.

We can easily add new categories, just suggest them to me.

It could become not only a fun/useful resource, but also a sort of "bookmark" area for good threads.

Speaking of becoming useful, please don't forget we could use your help in building out our Piano Wiki ( http://www.wikipiano.com/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page )

We now have someone helping with the Wiki (thanks Wade), so it has a chance to grow.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Sounds like you had a terrific time, Frank. Great pix, thanks for sharing it with us.

Hey, did the Australian piano, Stuart (or is it "Stewart") show up there? And if so, did you play it???

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/107473/1.html
Yes, thanks Frank. I'm still sort of new to PW. I was able to attend the NAMM show in 2006, but not this last one. I'm local in Southern California. Yes, those mountains were always there
: ) Some days it's just not clear enough to see them. They move in closer then move out, depending on the wind and such.
Hey, I want to play that 12' Rubenstein!!! I'm drooling.
Dave G.

Our very own Steve Cohen received an award at NAMM.

[Linked Image]

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Hey, we finally get to see Steve -at least I've never seen a photo of him before- sooooooooooooo...

which one of you two guys is Steve???????????

laugh

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/107473/1.html
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission