2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (bcalvanese, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 6 invisible), 1,372 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I have contacted Patricia Frederick's requesting a private tour of the piano museum in Ashburnham, MA.

I requested Nov 14 (Sunday) as a tour date since 2 other members have indicated they would be interested in attending at that time.

The Frederick's like to keep the groups small and suggest a total of 10 guests. My husband will be joining me so there will be 8 other spots open.

Jeffo, I know you had responded that this date would work for you. Besides your wife, would you like to include your daughter?

Realplayer, are you still interested?

There are also dates open for Sunday's in October should we choose to select an earlier date.

Please check out Jeanne W's thread, "Tour of Frederick's Historical Piano Study Center" if you require further info.

Please PM me or post a msg if you would like to be included in this tour or if you have any questions.

If you are a piano addict in any shape or form, this is your chance to spend an afternoon with other members who share your addiction! wink

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Terry, I got you PM, and decided to respond here just for the record. I would love to join the tour, but, alas, I will be in Colorado Springs for an elder law conference that weekend. I hope I'll be in the loop for any future tours of the the Museum. I just got through reading the thread of the tour Jeanne organized (not sure how I missed that!) and it sounds wonderful.

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Background on the tour....

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/22/43.html

I may want to go again. My sister was kicking herself for not going on our first tour, so I may take her.
I'll wait to see how many other members want to go first, don't want to take a slot for someone who hasn't been there yet.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The "10 people limit" really is quite limiting...

KathyK, if you cannot make November, why not you start another thread trying to organize another tour in October? (TerryTunes said there's still Sundays available for tour in October.)

I would love to visit the Fredericks' again... just not sure if I should join the November tour or visit separately in October (plus, seeing the 10 people limit, I don't want to bump out others who have not been there before).

Terrytunes,

My wife and I are interested but my daughter is not, maybe another time for her. I have the date on the calander.

Thanks for arranging this.

1874 Grotrian-Stienweg Chambre Grand: rebuild completed 9/14/2004
Click for Rebuild Pictures
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Terry,

Thanks for arranging this. I have some issues to work out about my travel, whether the car's available and if so when it has be back at home, I need to see a map, etc.

I'll send you a more detailed reply to your PM. If the group fills up before I get it all straightened out, then I'll have to wait till later. Or could you hold a spot for me tentatively for a few days?

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joe... No problem holding a spot (or 2?) open for you.

Jeffo, glad that you & your wife will be joining us!

KathyK...Lucky you! CO Springs!

Frank & Ax... I'll double check on the number of people for a private tour. I can't remember if that # was suggested by the Fredericks or if I read it, made it up, etc!!!

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
It's time to "bump" this thread up so I can figure out who plans to attend and to allow time for other members to know that a few spots are still open.

So far:
myself & husband (Steve)
Jeffo & wife
possibly a couple of Cape members???
Realplayer (Joe)

This will be a great opportunity to meet with other PW members and share an afternoon tour of the Fredericks historical piano collection.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Terry,

I am trying to work this out. What time of day do they usually arrange these tours? I would be leaving Hanover, NH in the morning and it looks like about 100 miles to Ashburhham, MA.

And how long do the tours last? My objective is to get to Fredericks', do the tour, and drive home to NYC all in the same day.

Thanks.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joe... I have requested 1pm as a starting time which is the earliest that the Fredericks could accomodate. Tours generally run approx 3 hrs.

I don't think the Fredericks will be as rigid to the max of 10 people as was suggested. If it will help you, I'll place you on a tentative list and providing your schedule/weather permits we will see you there.

Does this allow you to feel a bit more relaxed?

wink

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
terry, can i be penciled in? i just happen to be visiting the east coast from montana that week. there are some logistics to be worked out, but i'd love to take advantage of the opportunity, if possible, and if there is room on the tour.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Pique... it would be wonderful to have you join us! I'll just add you to the tentative list along with Joe!!

I've been emailing Patricia Fredericks and she seems to be as enjoyable as Jeanne W and Beelady had stated on their visit back in Sept. Here is a msg that I received from her today;

Theresa -
A dozen people will be fine. We just want to make sure everyone gets a
chance to see and hear okay, and even play the pianos. Obviously, if we
have a really large group - much over a dozen - people have to wait
their
turn longer if they want to play, and need to look over each other's
shoulders more to see the instruments in detail.

There are four rooms that can be closed off from one another, so four
people can play at the same time in different rooms. If some people
are
there just to listen, this is not a problem. We recently did a class
lecture series with fourteen people enrolled, which worked very well,
but
they were there to listen, not to play.

Do many people in your group have pieces prepared that they want to try
on pianos linked to specific composers? It will work best if they have
pieces from different periods, from Mozart, Haydn, and Beethoven, from
Mendelssohn, Chopin and Schubert, from Schumann and Brahms, and from
Debussy and Grieg, for example. And if they don't choose to play, we
certainly can demonstrate the pianos for them.

Pat Frederick

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally posted by Terrytunes:
I don't think the Fredericks will be as rigid to the max of 10 people as was suggested. If it will help you, I'll place you on a tentative list and providing your schedule/weather permits we will see you there.

Does this allow you to feel a bit more relaxed?

wink
This all sounds good, but if you need to include me in the group, do so. I'm really going to try to make it, as I don't know when I'll have another opportunity. I wouldn't want to miss out this time.

Did I seem less than relaxed? whome

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joe... I was probably the one that was feeling the stress when I wrote the reply at work today! I fed the stress factor into your msg!! I'm the one that needs to relax! :rolleyes:

I suggest we setup the group tour for 12 members; we have six spots covered and six to go!

D
D
Terry - thank you for the pm - this sounds like a wonderful opportunity. Alas, I'm busy that day, but I'll keep an eye on this forum from now on.

Dale

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Terry,

Thanks for the message -- please include me, if there is still a spot available -- this is a place I've often wanted to visit but hadn't gotten to yet, so it will be fun to do it with PW people -- I'm saving Nov. 14, Sunday, Ashburnham Center, 1 PM (can you tell I'm vigorous about confirming customer appointments?) --

Best wishes,
Dorrie Bell

Dorrie Bell
retired piano technician
Boston, MA
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
DaleH.... Sorry to hear we won't have a chance to meet with you this time. Yes, do keep an eye on this forum for future gatherings.

Dorrie... I'm delighted to know you will be joining us! Patricia Fredericks was concerned that anyone attending be aware that the piano museum will not be heated above 50 degress and for everyone to take this into consideration when planning your attire for the day!! Especially, don't forget the wool socks!!

If you would like to bring another guest along, there is still plenty of room.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Dear Terry,

Thanks for the clothing tip! I would have been miserable dressed as usual --

I'll be in touch with you if I want to bring anyone --

Thanks again for setting this up --
Dorrie

Dorrie Bell
retired piano technician
Boston, MA
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Terry,

Put me tentatively down for one - and maybe 2 or even 3 if the spaces remain open and I can drag JF and toto too. I'm hoping my office renovations will wait (eeek!).

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Terry, sign me on for one. I might be able to drag JF and Toto too, but don't hold spots open.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Kathy..... glad to see that you will be joining us!!

I will check on nearby restaurants in case anyone is interested in getting together prior to the tour.

Terrytunes,

I have family in that area out there and they always talk about the Old Mill in Westminster right off rt 2 as the "Place to go" My sister in law had a B day party for her husband there back about 4 years ago and the food was great. Sunday's they serve Brunch from 10am-2pm

http://www.1761oldmill.com/

http://www.visitingnewengland.com/oldmill.html

1874 Grotrian-Stienweg Chambre Grand: rebuild completed 9/14/2004
Click for Rebuild Pictures
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Jeffo... thank you so much for the restaurant info! I checked out the website and called for the Sunday brunch charge which is $17. They do have a very appealing brunch menu.

I also emailed Patricia Fredericks this morning in case she could suggest one other place.

Stay tuned........... wink

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Here are the final restaurant results;

Village Coffee Shop
55 Main Street - Ashburnham
Open 7am - noon - Sunday (tour starts at 1pm)
complete breakfast menu

The Old Mill
Westminster - approx 8 mi to Ashburnham
Sunday Brunch $17
reservations requested

Suggestions, comments????? Any chance we could possibly agree on gathering at the same place prior to the tour???

Frank, are you and your sister still interested in attending??

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Hi, Terry --

I'd like to get together for brunch with the group, myself, and get to know people a little -- my vote would be for the Old Mill for two reasons: I've enjoyed the food there, and we could leave there at 12:30 and get to Ashburnham rather than have that hour space between 12 and 1 with the Village Coffee Shop -- but either one is ok with me -- I'll watch this space tomorrow --

Dorrie

Dorrie Bell
retired piano technician
Boston, MA
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
See you on Sunday. I probably won't be able to check in on a computer after tonight (to check on your lunch plans), but may not make it there until 1 PM anyway, so lunch is iffy.

Looking forward.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Hi, all --

At this point I'm off the computer as well, so I'll plan to meet up with everyone at the Museum at 1:00. See you then!

Dorrie

Dorrie Bell
retired piano technician
Boston, MA
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Dorrie... in case you check-in once again; I will be picking up KathyK in Haverhill and proceeding onto Ashburnham. The train arrives in Haverhill approx 10:30 so I expect we won't reach our destination until 11:30. Hopefully, we will arrive before the coffee shop closes!!

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone. Drive safely!!

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Just a short recap on today’s tour at the historical piano museum in Ashburnham, MA. What a delight it was to gather once again and share my joy of the piano with others. Patricia and Edmond Frederick gave an outstanding historical tour of not only their piano collection but the chronological place in the development of the modern piano. Patricia and Edmond shared their musical talents and their ability to bring out the best quailites of each piano.

Even though the tour is now housed in what was formerly the town library, I had the feeling of being with the Fredericks in their private home. Besides their wealth of knowledge they were warm and gracious hosts who focused a dedicated afternoon of entertaining their company in a very relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere. Their love of the piano and music was clearly evident.

A couple of new faces appeared on this tour. Piano World member “Jeffo” and his wife Debbie joined us today . Debbie is the pianist and from what I could hear a very talented one.

Also joining us for her first time was Dorrie Bell (Bells Piano). What a pleasure to meet you Dorrie. I heard you sharing some names of friends and acquaintances with Patricia. Hopefully, you will share more of your background with us.

Along with KathyK and Real player (Joe) our group was complete. Oh, yes and my husband Steve also joined us. As a husband who only tolerates his wife’s piano playing pleasures it was enjoyable to have him join us and have no regrets.

Liesle
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Terrytunes:

Oh, yes and my husband Steve also joined us. As a husband who only tolerates his wife’s piano playing pleasures it was enjoyable to have him join us and have no regrets.
LOL!! Mr. BeeLady 'tolerated' a piano tour, but since then, I have heard him many times recount the trip to others in great detail! laugh

Glad you all had a good time. Wonder if there will be a Tour III?

BeeLady

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I really think this should be an annual Piano Forum event. Hah! Another committee for Frank - events coordinating. I nominate Terry.

Terry, don't miss the pics I posted on the Piano thread.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Not only are Kathy's pictures on the Piano thread, but lots of the responses to the visit are there too. Don't miss them!

Dorrie Bell
retired piano technician
Boston, MA
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I knew Kathy would write up a top notch review. (Thank you, KK!!) Probably why I decided to hang out here near the bottom of everything!! Anyway, glad everyone enjoyed themselves.

I'll probably try coordinating a 3rd tour for sometime in early spring. I'll contact Patricia come January and setup a date. It will be like attending a repeat performance of a movie you can't get enough of!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission