2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 13 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#921727 01/18/04 08:16 PM
K
kenny Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
K
Okay, I'll go first.

Penny's house is gorgeous.
Upon entering you are put into a good mood by the warmth of the rich colors.
I would have never visualized the success of the colors from looking at paint chips, but, Oh Man! It really works.
The living room is a soft sponged-yellow.
The adjacent dining room is a shade that reminded me of tangerine and peach; it's at once both vibrant and yet soothing, like a sunset.

Under the piano is blond carpeting but on the other side of the room the floor is hardwood.
The piano is near a corner but it's at a 45 degree angle to it, good for acoustics.
The layout was optimized for enjoying the piano.
I grabbed the best seat, which was on the couch right where the sound reflected from the lid was focused
Her home was filled with lots of great art too.
Penny's kids are very fortunate to be growing up in such a creative, vibrant, and supportive environment.

And the piano, Oh it is a real sweet beauty with a real rich, clear and flexible sound as many players demonstrated.
I really liked it for Bach, it has a sunny sound.
Penny’s family’s teacher (they all 4 take lessons), got a really wide range of tone from the piano.
She was one seriously classically-trained pianist.

Joy made yummy Chinese fajitas (I love it. wink ).
JohnC made his famous chocolate bars that taste like Almond Roca.
Friday made lumpia of a moist tender chicken.
Penny made an eggplant dish that I ate too much of (I love the burnt-cheese part) and a chocolate cheesecake that made me reconsider the joys of obesity.

Everybody played beautifully,
I must say I could tell Penny and her hubby have been working very hard on the piano.
My compliments to your teacher, and your practicing.
So many people played; I can't remember everything everyone played - help.
There must have been 30 people at the party.
Joy played her classic and flawless “Martha My Dear”.
Really Joy you gotta lotta talent!
I’m sure you have much more music in you.
A special treat was hearing Rick Clark play his own composition.
It was very moving, and visual for me.
I feel the best art makes something happen inside the listener.
Rick's playing does that.

My only regret is not having more time to talk with friends.
It's a real conflict for me, when people are playing I want to just listen quietly.
Then, before you know it, the evening is over.

Thanks, Penny and all. Ya done good!
I saw a few cameras so pics must be coming.
We had a massive Royal Piano Pile-Up under the Grand this time.

We need another party just to socialize - No piano!

#921728 01/18/04 09:46 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The food was terrific, the host and hostess the best, and the music muy magnifico. Ahh, but the people, well, they were the greatest, just fantastic. A better group of people you will not find anywhere!

There is no doubt So Cal has the best piano parties! thumb

Norbert, for having attended the last two So Cal parties I hereby make you an honorary member of the Pianoworld, Southern California Chapter, party animals (Hereafter referred to as the PSCCPA)! The absolute greatest group of party animals on this forum! yippie

There are few joys in life greater than the absence of pain.
#921729 01/18/04 10:58 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks guys! It was so much fun. How much fun was it? I took a four-hour nap today!!! Now that's serious fun.

As for Juliet, my teacher, isn't she a hoot? Her CV says:

-- Piano performance major at the prestigious Eastman School of Music. She has also studied at New England Conservatory, Oberlin Conservatory, and Germany's Frieburg Conservatory.
-- A bachelors' degree in psychology, specializing in childhood development, from the University of Rochester.
-- She has a Master's Degree in occupational therapy from Boston University specializing in treatment of hand injuries, particularly for musicians.
But don't worry, she doesn't take herself too seriously!

Some of you witnessing her groveling at my feet might have guessed that! (I helped her start a humor column for the local paper. So she's a pianist who writes and I'm a writer who plays piano.) Anyway, we're lucky to find a teacher who relates to all four of us at completely different levels.

And Kenny, you sounded really amazing, too! We've been doing these parties for three years now and you've grown so much as a pianist (expensive teachers are sometimes worth it!). You were so good, I wanted to put a tip jar out there for you (but then again, I didn't want to scratch my piano finish).

As for the home, we feel really blessed to find such a New England-style treasure (with a big back yard that nobody could see in the dark) in Orange County. For the record, we are on the wrong side of the road (across from a very tony, guard-gated community). Then again, we don't care!

penny

#921730 01/18/04 11:05 PM
F
F
Just to make it official: Friday, the Housebound and their little ones had a great time last night.

I love the way traditions and relationships are developing through our annual PW parties. Name tags, chocolate yummies, and pile ups are just as importamt to me as the music and the faces of friends. It's too bad everyone couldn't come.

Penny, thank you for offering your beautiful home and piano for our enjoyment. I hope you and your family have many happy memories in SJC.

And Norbert, maybe in some future PW gathering we will be treated to your daughter's boogie-woogie...?

Happy Monday everyone!

Shoe!

F.
#921731 01/18/04 11:29 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Wow, it's hard to think of what to add to the great descriptions above.... but I do feel I should clear up one little thing mentioned by Kenny and give credit where credit is due.

The piece I played was highly improvised, but at it's core not an original composition. Actual credit for segments of the core melody goes to Ryuichi Sakamoto for "Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence". Briguy65 correctly realized that he had heard it somewhere before.

Going back to the subject of the party, it was really great to see everyone again. Though our times together have totalled only few hours, I sense growing friendships. Sometimes I wish we were all neighbors and could get together whenever we feel like it.

Oh, and Norbert was quite the guy for overcoming great obstacles and making the party anyway.

I hope Joy and I will have a party-worthy grand sometime in the near future. I've had my eyes open for one since I first moved to the region. One failed attempt to buy a golden era Knabe A , but the owner decided to keep it. But sooner or later something will come up.

Regards,

Rick Clark

Rick Clark

Piano tuner-technician
#921732 01/19/04 01:24 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I am so jealous! It sounds like it was a blast. Thanks for sharing!

smile Jodi

#921733 01/19/04 02:09 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I just got back home and simply like to say...

"DANKESCHOEN"!!......

..... for a most wonderful party and an even more gracious host!!

It was a real pleasure to meet so many [old] friends again and share in our common obsession......guess,guess laugh

Also very special thanks for John C who took me all the way back to the front door of my hotel in Anaheim and made the return trip a lot easier than getting there.......

Penny, we always knew and may I confirm to all here again:

YOU'RE THE BEST!!

[even better than your beautiful piano... wink ]

norbert smile smile

#921734 01/19/04 10:16 PM
J
Joy Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
It was an enchanted night, blessed by good friends, glorious food and wonderful music.

I carpooled with my friend Barbara, who in turn brought Trish. She and Trish are members of a local piano-playing group called Clavier, who get together to play and critique each other. They looked forward to the opportunity to share their pieces with an informal and friendly crowd. Hey, that's us!

We were greeted at the door by Penny and Mynor, our gracious hosts, plus Kenny, John C plus a slew of familiar faces, as many more poured in crowding around the food in the kitchen.

"Gawd, who brought that brie with fruit?"
"Ooooh, that eggplant..."
"Look, sushi!"

Music people know how to eat.

I made a mixture of julienned beancurd, marinated in garlic and black bean, atop stir-fried rapini, scallions, garlic and napa cabbage garnished with cilantro. A scoopful is wrapped with corn tortillas brushed with hoisin sauce. I borrowed some toasted red pepper pieces from Penny for added color to the dish. Chinese fajitas!

Penny pursued everyone with marking pen in hand, labeling all our drinking cups with our names. Good idea. Then Friday, her Housebound and family arrived with lumpia, which Penny happily passed around. All you could hear for the first hour was munch munch, crunch crunch, it was all THAT good.

After about an hour, Penny commented "Hey. This is supposed to be a PIANO party!"

After a quick moment of silence, Barbara approached the Schulze-Pollmann grand and started with a series of Bach pieces from the WTC. She returned again during the course of the evening with a Chopin Mazurka and a Scarlatti piece. Her friend Trish followed with Scarlatti and Bach.

Kenny did Bach and Chopin throughout the evening. Juliet (Penny's teacher) played some amazingly complex pieces -- gads I wish I took notes, no pun intended -- with great panache. Later Niles got lost, deep into Beethoven several times. I think he beamed himself off the planet and left us while he was in Appasionata Sonata mode. We all enjoyed it.

Brian (aka BriGuy who owns a Kawai, RX-2) brought several pieces to try out on Penny's piano, including a lovely Chopin waltz.

John de Lurker graced us with a return visit after appearing at John C's Piano Party a year ago, and showed us how vastly he improved since his debut. I can't believe he still doesn't have a acoustic piano yet. His fingering had increased assuredness. Beautiful jazz pieces!

The children performed too! Penny's Jonathan continues to improve his piano playing, while his younger sister composed a special "Jingle," and 9-year old Denise (another student of Juliet's) charmed us with her pieces.

Mynor played a sensual slow piece -- a Chopin Nocturne, I believe.

Then Penny did Gershwin's Second Prelude, which I haven't been able to get out of my mind since we left the party. Two years ago, I once heard that same piece arranged for trumpet, french horn and saxophone. I've always been enthralled with the harmonics of that piece, and its similarity to a Chopin piece Max is currently working on.

Norbert arrived later, and delighted us with his boogie woogie. He demonstrated some of the pieces he grew up with -- Handel or early Bach, I think -- then demonstrated how American music just comes more easily to him. Laughter all around.

Later, when the party was down to a few folks, John C slipped onto the Schulze Pollmann quietly to play some soft rock and roll, which the rest of us immediately sang along with from the kitchen and dining room. We couldn't help ourselves.

Then Kenny coaxed Rick to play something, and he improvised on a Ryuichi Sakamoto melody in a style that was reminiscent of "Clair de Lune." He was the only person who played "in color," another aspect the Schulze Pollmann grand can deliver to great effect.

Many thanks to Penny, Mynor and family for allowing us to play on their wonderful piano --- which was well up to the myriad piano styles that emanated from it. It truly sings! This was one of the Best Piano Parties yet!

And just wait until you see our Piano Pile-Up Group Photo.

Joy

thumb

#921735 01/19/04 10:35 PM
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Penny,

I am so bummed that I could not get there. Cathy Harl and I both really wanted to be a part of it.

Anyway, it sounds like a classic! Glad to hear it was such a blast. smile

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
#921736 01/19/04 11:17 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Oh Boy! Oh, man. It sounds like the most wonderful party. Isn't it wonderful that Piano World has prompted these parties into existence! It's so exciting. And we're going to have to find a way for East to meet West one of these days!!

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
#921737 01/20/04 12:06 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Joy,

You remembered all that without taking notes? wow eek

Can I take you to some of my meetings at work? I don't get details that good even with notes!

There are few joys in life greater than the absence of pain.
#921738 01/20/04 12:12 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yeah, Joy, about those photos ... even people who don't (yet) belong to PW are waiting with baited breath!!!! wink (not to mention a certain host and hostess).

penny

#921739 01/20/04 12:14 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Oh Rich! It broke my heart that I did not get your SOS email until the next day (I kept checking up until about 7 p.m.). Next year, for sure, right?

penny

#921740 01/20/04 12:26 AM
K
kenny Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
K
Joy
Pick the one that only shows one of my chins
laugh

#921741 01/20/04 12:28 AM
K
kenny Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
K
Originally posted by Penny:
Yeah, Joy, about those photos ... even people who don't (yet) belong to PW are waiting with baited breath!!!! wink (not to mention a certain host and hostess).

penny
Yeah, come on Joy, Hurry up! wink

As Norma Desmond, or a drag queen, might say, " Da Vourld Ez Vaeeting."

#921742 01/20/04 01:36 AM
J
Joy Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
A postpartum note: I deleted all those nasty red X's

:t: :t: :t:

Click here: Penny\'s Piano Party 2004

#921743 01/20/04 01:38 AM
J
Joy Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Red X's be gone!!!!

mad mad mad

#921744 01/20/04 01:40 AM
J
Joy Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

#921745 01/20/04 01:44 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
From here, Joy, its displaying only multiples of the "dreaded Red X "

Bob

#921746 01/20/04 02:08 AM
J
Joy Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Thanks Bob.

Sorry about that, folks. I did one more geekytweak but I got impatient.

Here they are!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission