2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 6 invisible), 2,085 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
We just got home from the tour at M&H in Haverhill and the after-party in Lowell. I won't give the detailed report right now, but I will say that it was absolutely a fun and informative day. Many thanks to Frank, Kirk and Gary Burgett, Cecil Ramirez and our intrepid tour guide, Bruce Clark for a wonderful tour. Even tho we were on the tour last year, there is so much information to hear and things to see that it was not at all boring. I know I learned things I had either missed or forgetten from last year.

The new M&H B is a lovely piano! Sounds so much bigger than it's actual size. They did an outstanding job with it.

The party at Larry Buck's after was lots of fun! Food, a little vino, great conversation, and some piano playing, too!!

Yes, there are pictures- lots of pictures. I'll get some posted soon, and I am sure the others will, too.

Oh- USAPianoTrucker- Cecil DID bring us all to the loading dock and showed us the door! LOL We have pictures...

On to the Frederick Piano Collection tomorrow!

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
Same here.

Thank you to Frank, Kirk and Gary Burgett, Cecil Ramirez, and to the rest of the M&H staff. Bruce Clark, our tour leader, did a superb job. The chicken dinner that we shared for lunch was wonderful.

It was also great to meet other forum members in person.

Here's our group pic:
[Linked Image]

I will try to upload some more later.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Nice looking group! Can't wait to see more pictures. How nice that you all had a party at Larry Buck's afterward.

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
Here's a shot of the different M&H models ready to be played on:

[Linked Image]

Additional pics:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here are some more (in no particular order):
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It was a perfect day!

Great group of people (nice to meet new members and see some familiar faces).

Bruce and the others from Mason & Hamlin did a great job with the tour, as always.

It's obvious a lot of pride goes into making their pianos, and that includes everyone involved in the process.

Our thanks to the employees on the shop floors for putting up with us tramping through their areas. They all welcomed us with smiles, and it was evident they were happy to show off their skills :-)

And thank you to Larry Buck for hosting the after tour party at his shop, and to TerryTunes, Steve, and Larry for organizing the party.

I'm going to post a bunch of pictures, but probably won't caption most of them until later.

I got home after midnight, and up at 6:00, still waiting for my brain to kick in (of course, of been waiting for that for years).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

More Picts to follow....

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
More picts, ad promised...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

More to come...

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Still going...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cool old building Mason & Hamlin's factory is housed in. According to Kirk Burgett (owner) it was built circa 1890
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

USATrucker, this one is for you...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last batch coming up ...

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Last Batch...

A wonderful duet by Duncan and Quinn Howes..
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry I didn't take any pictures at the party.
I was tired by then, and ready to just sip some wine, eat some of the tasty food, and hang out with the piano people.

I know some people took party pictures, as well as lots of other tour pictures, hoping they will post them soon.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
To the Mason Hamlin Family...

You are appreciated.

We felt welcomed and privileged to tour your factory and hear a topnotch presentation by Bruce Clark on the artistry in the making of your pianos. I am overwhelmed by the care, precision, details, artisans, and quality control that goes into making the MH pianos.

Being that this was the second time that I have taken the tour, I was able to comprehend so much more. And being a proud new owner, I could so 'relate' to my piano! I listened and watched thinking "Wow...this is what went into making my piano; This is the artisan who made my piano and I am watching him/her do what made my piano the wonderful instrument that I play."

Thank you to all.

I have enjoyed viewing my pics, and viewing the other pics posted. Warm fuzzy memories.

Larry Buck, Terrytunes and all...what a wonderful party! A chance to relive the day and just socialize!

I've got some pics uploaded to photobucket and like Frank, will try to add some commentary later, as I am just on my lunch break. Oh, BTW, the last pic that Reliv4all posted is of his son, Mathew, who I think is 13/14, who blew us away with his classical abilities!
--------------------

MH has several original frame bending units and is currently replacing them with new units for several reasons. One being safety. The CC (concert grand)
[Linked Image]

MH makes an inner rim and outer rim, both of maple, laminated. Not only does the thickness support the massive piano, it contributes to the tone and stability of the soundboard. (remember what i say here is from memory of what i believe i heard - you can check with mh for correctness)
I believe the rim stays in the frame overnight. This is an inner rim being bent (like my AA)!

[Linked Image]

This rim framer might be 100 yrs old

[Linked Image]

MH is known for their Tension Resonator. A design established for one purpose, but now believed to help the stabilizing of the rim, soundboard curve etc. Here it is in the process of being installaed.

[Linked Image]

Pinblock holes being drilled.

[Linked Image]

Bruce Clark points out aliquot section. Which is tuned at the factory. Yes, we saw it being tuned in a small sectioned off room, but I couldn't get close enough take a pic. Anyone out there with a pic of that?

[Linked Image]

Owner Kirk Burgett accompanied us through the complete tour. Proudly.

[Linked Image]

More later...back to work!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
MH actions are made on site. It gives them complete control for their specifics, They also do many tests for quality control.

Parts are purchased.

A whole floor is dedicated to the MH action. I was most fascinated with this floor. I also noted and pics were taken of 'neat (yet factory) layouts'. I loved rows and stacks of prepped, ready to install action parts.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

STRING ROUNDS of several sizes

[Linked Image]

Tireless animated tester rocks back and forth

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Inside out and upside down damper installation?

[Linked Image]

Series of hammers being prepped. Filed down to a specific layer of felt

[Linked Image]

More coming. LL

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I left you with several hammers being sanded/filed down. My question was, "When does he know it is time to stop filing?"

Answer...He knows by experience.

There are 'layers' of felt. Each layer could be/can be stripped off. He stops when a layer is solid.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Hmmmm...where did you get that hammer, Bruce, that you so easily cut apart for demonstration?" asks I.

"Oh, this is from the discard box", says he.

"Hmmmm," says I. "Cathy Harl has made them into Door Key Chains. Do you have any that we could use?"

A box was forthcoming and devoured by the attendees. Just look at what IrishMak came up with for their use!!!

[Linked Image]

Did you notice the 'blues'? LOL!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
And thank you to Larry Buck for hosting the after tour party at his shop, and to TerryTunes, Steve, and BeeLady for organizing the party.
Oh, Frank, you will have to edit. I had nothing to do with it. Terry, Steve and Larry are the team that keep this New England group together I must say. Terry deserves something special as she spent most of the day setting up and cooked all the food!

Not only that but she has us on a broadcast email list to keep us all up to date on the latest gatherings and news in PW.

Thanks to all for having us hanger's on who didn't attend the tour. It was so nice to meet "new" PianoWorld folks and one new piano talent who is all of 14 years old!!! eek

BeeLady

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
And the Frederick Museum tour today was just as fascintating! I have a bunch of pics from there, as well. Alas, posting of all pictures from me will have to wait till next week. We are off tomorrow to Somers, CT for the first chili cookoff of the season. Pictures are downloaded from the camera, but not cleaned up, resized and so on. Will get 'em up asap next week.

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
I'm really glad to see everyone had a good time. You were in good hands up there so I don't think it could have been anything but.

Click HERE for two years of music theory and history training in 3 min. 5 seconds.
Former Piano Industry Professional
Full-Time Student
Entrepreneurship/Music Theory/Music History
Indiana University
Steinway M
Roland AT90R Atelier organ

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
And some Party Picts are here...

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/22/129.html

(Thanks Terry)

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

double post: oops!

Click HERE for two years of music theory and history training in 3 min. 5 seconds.
Former Piano Industry Professional
Full-Time Student
Entrepreneurship/Music Theory/Music History
Indiana University
Steinway M
Roland AT90R Atelier organ

Silver Expires April 2010

Silver member until April 2010
Silver Expires April 2010

Silver member until April 2010
Great pictures smile smile ; just so sorry I had to bail at the last minute. frown frown
Somebody, PLEASE: caption one of the group shots with (screen) names!

Thanks,

** Bob ** M&H AA 92809 **
Another installment:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission