2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#917637 01/02/06 06:52 PM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ilikemozart:
Euan,

The concert sounds like so much fun. I wish we had stuff like that over here in the USA.

Let me guess, were you clapping to "Radetzky March"? That is so much fun.

Looking forward to another trip to Europe to get some fun and CULTURE.

To answer your question, I am still playing the piano, but maybe 5 minutes a day and it has just been scales. I've had this sprain for a month now. Healing takes longer when one is older.

It's raining here, probably the same out where you are as I remember (we were there the end of Sept.)

#917638 01/02/06 06:58 PM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
eh, oops - was meant to write stuff below the quotation. Kids - dont drink beer, it makes you silly!

I had to look up the name of the piece, and yes, it was indeed the Radetzky March. I never actually knew the name of it although I have heard the piece many times. It was played as an encore, so it wasn't named in the programme either. Great fun, like you say!!

The weather over here has been pretty good recently. The snow has thawed and the temperature has been fairly good for the time of year.

As is common sense - take your time with the recovery (doesnt sound like you are 'pushing it', which is good), and you will be back playing your Chopin in no time!

#917639 01/02/06 07:10 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Frycek:
Keep my house cleaner
As in don't let him/her quit?

If you don't talk to your children about equal temperment, who will?
#917640 01/02/06 07:11 PM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
My 2006 non-piano goals are:

1) Get a new job! My 15% cut in pay is killing me financially.

2) Finish my BS in Information Technology. I have about 9 or 10 classes to go. Oh so close, yet so far away.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
#917641 01/03/06 04:39 PM

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by John Citron:
Good luck with your plans... Plan B might be fun at first, but do you think you can survive mentally by staying home.
[/QB][/QUOTE]

That's my big fear, actually. My husband would be delighted if I quit (he'd probably save money by not having to pay the nanny and he'd definitely enjoy not hearing me gripe about UK any more), but I do worry that I would go brain-dead, even if I did play piano all day.

Sorry to hear about your pay cut, John. As bad as things are at UK (years of 0-3% raises), at least we've never had to take a cut. Though I am not at all happy that we will be hiring a new social psychologist this year fresh out of grad school who will be making $10,000 more a year than I am now after 18 years at UK!! (It's things like that that make me want to quit...)

Euan, I teach psychology, with a focus in social psychology.

#917642 01/03/06 04:55 PM
My Goals for 2006:

1) Read more books
2) Keep a more consistent schedule at the gym
3) Be more organized (This is a perenial favorite of
mine, which probably says a lot in itself)
4) Feed my ears (Buy more music for my collection)
5) Finish my Master's Degree.
5) Learn to find happiness in everyday
accomplishments.

~pianocliff

#917643 01/03/06 06:07 PM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
pianocliff:

1) What sort of books are you into, and what sort are you going to attempt to read more of?

2) And when you are 'feeding your ears', what sort of music do you like? Are you solely into classical / piano, or do you have varied taste?

3) "Learn to find happiness in everyday accomplishments." A very profound thought, and something we could all use. Its a very interesting idea...

#917644 01/03/06 06:24 PM
1) What sort of books are you into, and what sort are you going to attempt to read more of?
I like (meaningful) fiction and historical nonfiction with a little philosophy thrown in for good measure. I always intend to read certain books and get sidetracked or forget about it. This year I started a new trend of putting all the books I want to read in a pile. Whenever I have idle time or feel restless I grab a book off the top of the stack and read it...

2) And when you are 'feeding your ears', what sort of music do you like? Are you solely into classical / piano, or do you have varied taste?
Pretty much anything with an interesting melody or harmonic movement... Right now I'm listening to Herbie Hancock (jazz), Radiohead (rock/alt) and some Debussy preludes(classical/impressionistic).

By the way, part of "feeding my ears" is related to trying to transcribing some solos by ear and self-teaching myself some jazz standards but this was suppossed to be "non-piano" related goals. ;-)

~pianocliff

#917645 01/03/06 06:35 PM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
Originally posted by John Citron:
[b]
Good luck with your plans... Plan B might be fun at first, but do you think you can survive mentally by staying home.
[/b]
That's my big fear, actually. My husband would be delighted if I quit (he'd probably save money by not having to pay the nanny and he'd definitely enjoy not hearing me gripe about UK any more), but I do worry that I would go brain-dead, even if I did play piano all day.

Sorry to hear about your pay cut, John. As bad as things are at UK (years of 0-3% raises), at least we've never had to take a cut. Though I am not at all happy that we will be hiring a new social psychologist this year fresh out of grad school who will be making $10,000 more a year than I am now after 18 years at UK!! (It's things like that that make me want to quit...)

Euan, I teach psychology, with a focus in social psychology. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Working at home does have its benefits. I did it while working for a family business. I saved a ton in travel expenses even though I did the deliveries, and I didn't have to go anywhere when it snowed. Lunch and snacks were no more than 10 steps from the kitchen, and I could work with a cat or two in my lap.

The downside is, I went crazy because I missed the social interaction with other people besides my family. I ended up working a 2nd shift job until the company closed in addition to working for the family. I was a lot younger then, and the thought of working from 9am-6pm at home plus 7-12am 2nd shift didn't phase me at all. This didn't count going for piano lessons too!

Yeah my job sucks! It's more than just the pay cut, and I have definitely started the ball moving to get out of here. The thing is, not only did we all take a cut, but we are all doing more for a lot less. We haven't had any raises in three years, and then the cuts came so the morale is pretty bad.

I was thinking more about your post, as I am writing this. UK is hiring a new kid at a lot higher salary than you are making after nearly 20 years. This sounds like an age discrimination thing! If you want to push back a little, you might bring this up when things get heated.

Such is life I guess.

Take care and love your M&H laugh

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
#917646 01/03/06 06:51 PM
I
ilm Offline
I
Euan,

Here is some fun listening:

Phil Coulter's Scottish Tranquility. Piano and Orchestra Classics. ISBN 16351 53092 9

ILM

#917647 01/03/06 08:05 PM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Amazon.co.uk Review
Not many composers have worked with Elvis Presley, Cliff Richards, The Dubliners, and Planxty. Such is the strange musical world of Phil Coulter, who has recorded a series of Tranquility records that emphasize lush orchestral arrangements of various national folk music from Ireland to America, and on this title, Scotland. "Lush" is the operative word here, as he spins classic Scots melodies like "Ye Banks and Braes" and "Auld Lang Syne" into Mantovani-like flourishes for piano and orchestra, punched up with a fuzzy but gentle electric guitar and drums to give it "punch". It's the apex of Celtic nostalgia, and you will love it or hate it based solely on your tolerance for lots of airy strings, rippling piano lines, and reverbed, mountainous flute sounds. Coulter has had a lot of gold and platinum recordings over the years, so there's plenty of fans for his Celtic lounge act. --Louis Gibson

Hmmm, sounds interesting! Might have to give it a try, although I promised to wait for my next paycheque before buying new music. And it takes '1 to 2 weeks' for me, anyway. Still, gotta be worth a shot! Thank you!

#917648 01/03/06 08:17 PM
I
ilm Offline
I
You are welcome. I just got through trying to play "Auld Lang Syne" on the piano.

There is something about Scottish music...what is your opinion?

ILM

#917649 01/03/06 09:24 PM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Am writing this after several alcoholic beverages, and just before i head for some sleep, so dont take this as serious opinion:

I feel like there is a feeling of 'the grass is always greener...'. Sort of thing. Maybe coming from a different place, you listen to Scottish music and picture the romance, the atmosphere and the landscapes and this helps with your appreciation of the music (i am probably miles off course, but nevermind!)

In the same way, I have a CD of Russian folk songs, and i love listening to the language as well as the unusual melodies and dynamics.

Maybe there is a case of liking things that are different to the 'everyday' things you hear. We want to picture ourselves in a different land, and almost have a certain fantasy about music and a place, which makes you like it even more.

To give me a better picture - what is it you like about scottish music? Words, music, imagery, romance, scales, instruments?

And i suppose that living over here installs a certain aspect of rebellion (not very much, but subtle) in that it is 'uncool' to like scottish things when they have been pretty much rammed down our throats all our lives. In the same way as a tourist might love the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, or marvel at the tranquility of Scotland, if you live here all your life, it becomes normal.

Therefore 'Scottish' music to me is nothing more than a regular occurance on certain radio channels, and things that i hear very often. I wouldnt call it 'special', more like 'normal'. (although it is played less than popular music).

I can certainly appreciate the talent required to play scottish music, as it is certainly not easy.

When I first went to university, I was walking towards my room, when I could hear accordian music coming from two doors down. It was quite loud, but I remember thinking to myself 'I dont mind if that guy plays all day long - it sounds fantastic!'. He was very good scottish accordian player and had been on tv before. Needless to say, we got all our friends together for an impromptu ceilidh in one of our rooms (until the warden stopped us!).

I dont know - Scottish music. Lovely or kitsch. Cant decide.

I'm gonna shut up now as I am probably just embaressing myself now.

Sleeep!

#917650 01/03/06 10:55 PM
I
ilm Offline
I
Good morning Euan (by the time you read this),

Some of the words and melody makes me pictures someone listening to it while downing several drams of Scotch.

The words and melody of some of the songs seem so defeatist, but it sure can be fun listening sometimes. Kind of like some of Schuberts pieces that sound like he wrote them during rough times.

Oh well, Auld Lang Syne and a Happy 2006 to you. I think I will now listen to some Phil Coulter's Scottish Tranquility. smile

#917651 01/04/06 01:38 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Now that I have reached perfection, I don't make New Years resolutions any more. laugh
I would like to stop working, but somehow work brings a certain order to one's life.
I would like to stop drinking, but somehow drinking brings a certain disorder to one's life.
I would like to learn to REALLY play the piano, but who has the time to practice with all that work and late night brandys.
I would like to become a better person, but I'm afraid I would be totally boring.
So, as you can all see, there is no hope. I'll just continue on as I have till now and be a burden to my family as I get older.
As Piet Hein says:
Den bön man mest forgjeves bad
er den gamle: Gid jeg gad.

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.
#917652 01/04/06 06:04 AM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Some of the words and melody makes me pictures someone listening to it while downing several drams of Scotch.

The words and melody of some of the songs seem so defeatist, but it sure can be fun listening sometimes. Kind of like some of Schuberts pieces that sound like he wrote them during rough times.

Oh well, Auld Lang Syne and a Happy 2006 to you. I think I will now listen to some Phil Coulter's Scottish Tranquility. smile
Morning!

You're absolutely right with the idea of 'defeatist lyrics', but then I suppose Scottish attitudes are fairly defeatist sometimes (thats a sweeping statement). All i mean is that nowadays, Scotland has become synonomous with failing, especially in sport. And i'm not sure if you have seen the movie Trainspotting, but there is a classic quotation about just how rubbish Scotland really is!

Still, I am tempted by the idea of picking up the violin in my attic and learning some pieces (i suppose it would become a 'fiddle'!)

And lastly, in the same way that tourists have a habit of mis-pronouncing Edinburgh, or Toronto - the word 'Scotch' does not exist over here smile

Happy listening!
All the best,
Euan.

#917653 01/04/06 06:05 AM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Morning!

You're absolutely right with the idea of 'defeatist lyrics', but then I suppose Scottish attitudes are fairly defeatist sometimes (thats a sweeping statement). All i mean is that nowadays, Scotland has become synonomous with failing, especially in sport. And i'm not sure if you have seen the movie Trainspotting, but there is a classic quotation about just how rubbish Scotland really is!

Still, I am tempted by the idea of picking up the violin in my attic and learning some pieces (i suppose it would become a 'fiddle'!)

And lastly, in the same way that tourists have a habit of mis-pronouncing Edinburgh, or Toronto - the word 'Scotch' does not exist over here smile

Happy listening!
All the best,
Euan.

#917654 01/04/06 11:34 AM
I
ilm Offline
I
Good Morning,
Non-piano goal for 2006 is to make it into work this morning with a good attitude.

Thank you for writing, ILM

#917655 01/05/06 01:25 AM
2006 Goals

1. Make a decision on which digital piano to buy or join a 12 step program for my shopping/waffling addiction

2. Lose 20 lbs & Eat less chocolate

3. Actively search for my mind that I've lost raising preteen boys

4. Pay the gas bill so I DON'T have to take cold showers... brrrrr I'll take a massage for circulation over a cold shower

5. Become employed in my new town

6. Become less "midi-challenged"

...I asked my mother if I was a gifted child...she said they certainly wouldn't have paid for me.
#917656 01/05/06 01:00 PM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Shammy:
2006 Goals

4. Pay the gas bill so I DON'T have to take cold showers... brrrrr I'll take a massage for circulation over a cold shower

6. Become less "midi-challenged"
One of my goals was to actually take a cold shower every day. Unfortunately, that only lasted until the 4th January. The problem was that it was just too cold outside. I'm fine doing it in summer. I love the sensation after a cold shower!

I should maybe join you with number 6. I have a computer, a digital piano, and no idea what to do next. I dont even know what midi can do for me. I just hear the jargon (controllers, interfaces, channels) and i switch off.

Let us know how you get on,
Euan.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission