2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,817 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
N
Fitness, photography and writing

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Let's see...piano takes up most of my time these days but I have large enough list of other "hobbies" to keep me busy when music frustrates me:

Working out (mostly cardio work like cycling, rowing, jogging, soccer occassionally)

Chess (aside from playing I also like "playing through" the games of great masters and analysing the positions and so forth)

Reading (I'm also into the "great classics" and always try to have at least one book going)

Movies (One of my possible careers, at least so far, is as a film director, and I look up to the likes of Kubrick, Tarantino, Stone, etc. I'm also a fan of film noir, and my favorite kind of movies are meaningful dramas that don't take themselves *too* seriously--like Kubrick's)

Philosophy (pretty self explanatory I guess)

History (I might end up teaching this for a career, but hopefully at a university level. Right now I'm studying Irish and Russian history, and am also reading Herodotus' "The Histories" which is simply fascinating)

Writing (well, sort of...when I was 10-11, I wrote a 300 page science fiction/espionage novel (and, incidentally, it's really awful, except for the last 50 pages, which I added when I was 15), and kind of burned myself out, but I have a long list of ideas for novels which I could write if I had time and motivation to do so. Other than that, I do actually enjoy writing papers for classes.)

Politics (I'm only starting to get into this, however, and more than Politics I'm really just into Foreign Affairs--and I do subscribe to that publication...good stuff!)

Traveling (I'm not very well developed though, having gone to about half of the United States, the UK including England, Northern Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland, Canada, and France...there are just too many other places I want to go!)

I'm also pretty into physics, namely cosmology, relativity, and all that hoo-hah, but I don't have the math brain to seriously comprehend it all, so I stay away from the "real" physics and just focus on the concepts. I really enjoy it though.

Oh and the last one I can think of is, every now and then I'll pick up a computer game and work through it when I don't feel like doing anything else. Right now I'm doing "Neverwinter Nights"--I tend to like RPGs the most--has anyone here played it?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh, so much to do, so little time.
I enjoy cooking, gardening, reading, theater, opera, travel. And the rest of the time goes to find out if Anastasia really was the last grand Duchess. No wonder my piano playing suffers!

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.
Languages (English, spanish, latin and a little bit of gaelic)
Writing (both music and "literature")
Boxing (Been in two competitions)
Sax (love it almost as much as piano)
Reading (I own over 1000 books and have read most of them twice. Libraries are my second home.)
Lord of the Rings (Nothin' like them!)

Life is a Highway
My other interests are
Dance
Table Tennis
Film
Theatre (watching)
History
Reading
Writing
Does debating count?

Wow, I sound so active, but I am also incredibly lazy!

"Without a piano I don't know how to stand, don't know what to do with my hands."
- Norah Jones
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by ***musical princess***:
Originally posted by John Citron:
[b]Been to Great Britian
Where abouts in GB were you?

x [/b]
I spent 4 weeks in London, and then traveled by train to Liverpool to look up my Great Great Grandmother. The city magistrates couldn't locate any birth records for her because they were destroyed in the war, but the trip was fun anyway.

I also traveled on the Southern line to Hastings and along the south coast, stopping at Bournemouth and Portsmouth just for the fun of it. I like trains, and anything else on steel rails, so this was a lot of fun.

While I was there, I also did the regular tourist thing and visited a bunch of museums, including the Victoria & Albert where the the original Italian Virginal is that my instrument is based on.

I tried to visit the RCM, but they were closed. I intended on inquiring about studying there back then.

One of my tourist days included a trip up to Bath to see the Roman baths and visit the city in general. I love architecture, and this was a personal thrill for me.

If someone offered me a ticket to Great Britian, I'd go back in a heart beat. laugh

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
Dis Offline
Schindler: Another Lord of the Rings fan here! In fact I spend a large chunk of my day on a LoTR site. I adminate over there.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Neat, just noticed this thread.

I play a lot of golf (handicap is around 15) and read a lot of science fiction. Currently working on Stephen Baxter's "Vacuum Diagrams," and Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" is waiting on the shelf.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Well, piano, of course, but besides that...
Just started playing french horn and love it
Clarinet (don't love it so much, but play it in the school band)
Reading-anything
Animals-volunteer at the local shelter
Kids-I love kids! Is that so strange?
Photography
Bike riding
Climbing-rock, but also trees-I don't think that really qualifies, but I do like doing it...
Art-painting, drawing, writing, pottery, pretty much anything that creates
smile

Think of the fierce energy concentrated in an acorn! You bury it in the ground, and it explodes into an oak! Bury a sheep, and nothing happens but decay. ~George Bernard Shaw
Terry Pratchett books, I think I have now read all of them except "Where's My Cow?" but every time I think I got them all a new one comes out

- Keepin my dog out of trouble

- Travelling, I have been over to Europe several times and am about to go to hawaii in.... 10 days WOOOHOOOOOO!!!!(sorry , a little excited!)

- Going to get fit over summer because the school has put me on PE classes next year and I am the most non PE person ever hence my next interest

- being a couch potato. I love my DVDs and buy new ones to keep me busy every time I get back to civilisation.

- Art. Gotta draw all the time. I just got back into it this year after about a years break and I'm lovin it. I haven't mastered painting yet....

"Work hard and strive to reach the power of bland"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm a stay-at-home mom so outside of music my days consist of kids and cleaning. So when I want to block out the kids and messy house I come here to PW or play the piano.

Outside of that I like sewing, hiking, scenic drives, outdoors . . . I used to go trout fishing with a fly rod a lot but haven't for a long time.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Golf (dont play as much now i got the piano!)
Russian/East European History
Walking (grab a map and make a route etc)
Cars (driving / reading / admiring them)
Movies (war / horror / political [esp. b&w])
Drinking!
Cycling
Heavy Metal music

X
X
Bodybuilding.
Playing videogames.
Drinking beer (wich doesn't fit with the Bodybuilding, but I like beer so much).
Cars.
Movies.
Downloading music.

Nothing special. wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
mmmmm, b-e-e-e-r!!!

Any particular favourites??

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
My other interests... Books, mainly fiction that was written in English--and that I read in English (although my native language is Finnish, I read fiction only in English);

and cinema, or more popular cinema anyhow, like some or most of the films by Kubrick, Kurosawa, Orson Welles, David Lynch, Sergio Leone, the Coen brothers, Fellini, David Lean, even Tarkovsky...

On the book front, I'm more into currently (and unjustly) obscure stuff, like novels by James Branch Cabell, and R. A. Lafferty, and mainly short stories by Lord Dunsany. You can find a serviceable introduction to their literary work, as well as to that of many other great writers at http://greatsfandf.com/

Also, I hope nobody has anything against me posting here this thoughtful and well-written, as well as out of copyright and rather long, essay on Branch Cabell, taken from the introduction to Gallantry:

These paragraphs, dignified by the revised edition of Gallantry and spuriously designated An Introduction, are nothing more than a series of notes and haphazard discoveries in preparation of a thesis. That thesis, if it is ever written, will bear a title something academically like The Psychogenesis of a Poet; or Cabell the Masquerader. For it is in this guise--sometimes self-declared, sometimes self-concealed, but always as the persistent visionary--that the author of some of the finest prose of our day has given us the key with which (to lapse into the jargon of verse) he has unlocked his heart.

On the technical side alone, it is easy to establish Cabell's poetic standing. There are, first of all, the quantity of original rhymes that are scattered through the dozen volumes which Cabell has latterly (and significantly) classified as Biography. Besides these interjections which do duty as mottoes, chapter-headings, tailpieces, dedications, interludes and sometimes relevant songs, there is the volume of seventy-five "adaptations" in verse, From the Hidden Way, published in 1916. Here Cabell, even in his most natural role, declines to show his face and amuses himself with a new set of masks labelled Alessandro de Medici, Antoine Riczi, Nicolas de Caen, Theodore Passerat and other fabulous minnesingers whose verses were created only in the mind of Cabell. It has pleased him to confuse others besides the erudite reviewer of the Boston Transcript by quoting the first lines of the non-existent originals in Latin, Italian, Provencal--thus making his skilful ballades, sestinas and the less mediaeval narratives part of a remarkably elaborate and altogether successful hoax.

And, as this masquerade of obscure Parnassians betrayed its creator, Cabell--impelled by some fantastic reticence--sought for more subtle makeshifts to hide the poet. The unwritten thesis, plunging abruptly into the realm of analytical psychology, will detail the steps Cabell has taken, as a result of early associative disappointments, to repress or at least to disguise, the poet in himself--and it will disclose how he has failed. It will burrow through the latest of his works and exhume his half-buried experiments in rhyme, assonance and polyphony. This part of the paper will examine Jurgen and call attention to the distorted sonnet printed as a prose soliloquy on page 97 of that exquisite and ironic volume. It will pass to the subsequent Figures of Earth and, after showing how the greater gravity of this volume is accompanied by a greater profusion of poetry per se it will unravel the scheme of Cabell's fifteen essays in what might be called contrapuntal prose. It will unscramble all the rhymes screened in Manuel's monologue beginning on page 294, quote the metrical innovations with rhymed vowels on page 60, tabulate the hexameters that leap from the solidly set paragraphs and rearrange the brilliant fooling that opens the chapter "Magic of the Image Makers." This last is in itself so felicitous a composite of verse and criticism--a passage incredibly overlooked by the most meticulous of Cabell's glossarians--that it deserves a paper for itself. For here, set down prosaically as "the unfinished Rune of the Blackbirds" are four distinct parodies--including two insidious burlesques of Browning and Swinburne--on a theme which is familiar to us to-day in les mots justes of Mother Goose. "It is," explains Freydis, after the thaumaturgists have finished, "an experimental incantation in that it is a bit of unfinished magic for which the proper words have not yet been found: but between now and a while they will be stumbled on, and then this rune will live perpetually." And thus the poet, speaking through the mouth-piece of Freydis, discourses on the power of words and, in one of Cabell's most eloquent chapters, crystallizes that high mood, presenting the case for poetry as it has been pleaded by few of her most fervid advocates.

Here the thesis will stop quoting and argue its main contention from another angle. It will consider the author in a larger and less technical sense: disclosing his characters, his settings, his plots, even the entire genealogical plan of his works, to be the design of a poet rather than a novelist. The persons of Cabell's imagination move to no haphazard strains; they create their own music. And, like a set of modulated motifs, they combine to form a richer and more sonorous pattern. With its interrelation of figures and interweaving of themes, the Cabellian "Biography" assumes the solidity and shapeliness of a fugue, a composition in which all the voices speak with equal precision and recurring clarity.

And what, the diagnostician may inquire, of the characters themselves? They are, it will be answered, motivated by pity and irony; the tolerant humor, the sympathetic and not too distant regard of their Olympian designer agitate them so sensitively that we seldom see what strings are twitched. These puppets seem to act of their own conviction--possibly because their director is careful not to have too many convictions of his own. It may have been pointed out before this that there are no undeviating villains in his masques and, as many an indignant reviewer has expostulated, few untarnished heroes. Cabell's, it will be perceived, is a frankly pagan poetry. It has no texts with which to discipline beauty; it lacks moral fervor; it pretends to no divinity of dogmatism. The image-maker is willing to let his creatures ape their living models by fluctuating between shifting conventions and contradictory ideals; he leaves to a more positive Author the dubious pleasure of drawing a daily line between vice and virtue. If Cabell pleads at all, he pleads with us not to repudiate a Villon or a Marlowe while we are reviling the imperfect man in a perfect poet. "What is man, that his welfare be considered?" questions Cabell, paraphrasing Scripture, "an ape who chatters to himself of kinship with the archangels while filthily he digs for groundnuts.... Yet do I perceive that this same man is a maimed god.... He is under penalty condemned to compute eternity with false weights and to estimate infinity with a yardstick--and he very often does it."

This, the thesis will contend, is the only possible attitude to the mingled apathy and abandon of existence--and it is, in fine, the poetic attitude. Romantic it is, without question, and I imagine Cabell would be the last to cavil at the implication. For, mocked by a contemptuous silence gnawing beneath the howling energy of life, what else is there for the poet but the search for some miracle of belief, some assurance in a world of illimitable perplexities? It is the wish to attain this dream which is more real than reality that guides the entire Cabell epos--"and it is this will that stirs in us to have the creatures of earth and the affairs of earth, not as they are, but as 'they ought to be.'"

Such a romantic vision, which concludes that glowing testament, Beyond Life, is the shining thread that binds the latest of Cabell's novels with the earliest of his short stories. It is, in effect, one tale he is telling, a tale in which Poictesme and the more local Lichfield are, for all their topographical dissimilarities, the same place, and all his people interchangeable symbols of the changeless desires of men. Whether the allegory is told in the terms of Gallantry with its perfumed lights, its deliberate artifice and its technique of badinage, or presented in the more high-flying mood of Chivalry with its ready passions and readier rhetoric, it prefigures the subsequent pageant in which the victories might so easily be mistaken for defeats. In this procession, amid a singularly ordered riot of color, the figure of man moves, none too confidently but with stirring fortitude, to an unrealized end. Here, stumbling through the mazes of a code, in the habiliments of Ormskirk or de Soyecourt, he passes from the adventures of the mind (Kennaston in The Cream of the Jest, Charteris in Beyond Life) through the adventures of the flesh (Jurgen) to the darker adventures of the spirit (Manuel in Figures of Earth). Even this Gallantry, the most candidly superficial of Cabell's works, is alive with a vigor of imagination and irony. It is not without significance that the motto on the new title-page is: "Half in masquerade, playing the drawing-room or garden comedy of life, these persons have upon them, not less than the landscape among the accidents of which they group themselves, a certain light that we should seek for in vain upon anything real."

The genealogically inclined will be happy to discover that Gallantry, for all its revulsion from reality, deals with the perpetuated life of Manuel in a strangely altered milieu. The rest of us will be quicker to comprehend how subtly this volume takes its peculiar place in its author's record of struggling dreams, how, beneath, a surface covered with political finery and sentimental bric-a-brac, the quest goes on, stubbornly and often stupidly, in a forgotten world made suddenly animate and as real as our own. And this, the thesis will conclude, is because Cabell is not as much a masquerader as he imagines himself to be. None but a visionary could wear so constantly upon his sleeve the desire "to write perfectly of beautiful happenings." None but the poet, shaken with the strength of his vision, could cry to-day, "It is only by preserving faith in human dreams that we may, after all, perhaps some day make them come true." For poetry, to which all literature aspires, is not the shadow of reality but the image of perfection, the light of disembodied beauty toward which creation gropes. And that poetic consciousness is the key to the complex and half-concealed art of James Branch Cabell.
LOUIS UNTERMEYER .
New York City, April, 1922.

X
X
Originally posted by Euan Morrison:
mmmmm, b-e-e-e-r!!!

When I just "drink a beer", I mostly drink something like Amstel, Heineken, Warsteiner or Dommelsch. If I want something "special" I drink beers like: Palm, Budweiser, Carona, Leffe, Duvel.

H
H
Other interests?
I am working on my soul: reading the entire
works of Joel S. Goldsmith, a mystic.
I enjoying cooking, playing with our pets,
especially the chihuahuas, travel (have been to
most states and more than 30 countries, including
living in Mexico 3 years).
I also run my own business, ride the golf
cart when my husband golfs,
and walk in our woods on my home-made labrynth!
Metaphysics, Edgar Cayce, and spirituality
in general are my keenest interests.
But I also love art...especially painting.
E-Bay is a guilty pleasure and so is abebooks.com
But Piano World is lots of fun too!

The truest insights into a person's
character are two things:
1. How he treats people who cannot help him.
2. How he treats those who cannot
fight back.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by xire:
Originally posted by Euan Morrison:
[b] mmmmm, b-e-e-e-r!!!

When I just "drink a beer", I mostly drink something like Amstel, Heineken, Warsteiner or Dommelsch. If I want something "special" I drink beers like: Palm, Budweiser, Carona, Leffe, Duvel. [/b]
Good choices! I tend to regularly drink Heineken, Stella Artois, Grolsch and Carlsberg. When i step up to the 'big' beers, I would say Leffe Brun, Duvel, Chimay Bleu, and Hoegaarden. I remember drinking a ton of Palm in Brussels - that was the 'rest' beer between the heavier ones!

Happy drinking!

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
I'm a Sam Adams girl myself.

Other interests?

Spending time with my partner and family, comedy (Norman Wisdom, Lee Evans, Bill Bailey etc.); hi-fi (quality British stuff) and home cinema; reading (I love the works of F.Scott Fitzgerald, Graham Greene and Chekhov amongst others), watching good films (Zeferelli's Romeo & Juliet, The Great Gatsby, The Pianist (!) etc.); cooking, collecting music DVDs, vinyl and CDs; going to concerts; cars; detective stories (Frost, Morse, Waking The Dead); Dr Who etc.

Also going to my favourite place on earth - Chatsworth House - and sitting on the Capability Brown lawns looking over at the fabulous architecture of the house in its gorgeous, heavenly setting.

On the drinking thing, I am tea-total and don't touch alcohol. Much prefer a good cup of coffe or tea anyday!

Classical and jazz pianist, singer, songwriter, and avid listener and concert-goer. SCHIMMEL and BLUTHNER fan and avidly AGAINST the dumbing down of quality music.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission