2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, 6 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I was blown out of the water on that whole "biggest piano" contest. I just couldn't compete. Bummer.

But I think I can nail every one of you on who spends the most on each trip to the barber/hairdresser.

I spend . . . geez, this is almost embarrasing to admit . . . $100 + tip every six weeks for a trim and perm. I don't have enough grey to need color -- yet.

Ha! Top *that!*

Cindy -- whose dh has stopped asking how much those locks cost and just accepts it now

B
B
I pay nothing because I cut my own hair.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Ballyhoo:

I pay nothing because I cut my own hair.
:raises arms in victory:

I am *so* gonna win! smile

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Yup - You beat me too Cindy. I used to spend a lot, but since I quit getting perms I have a tendency to chop on my top too.

What could I win at? Hmmm - I'm thinking maybe money spent on feeding animals, but it would have to exclude anyone who herds cows or raises animals commercially!

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
Oh Geez, I and swear I never post here. This caught my attention as I was finally getting here to take a look at Jeannie's new piano (teachum's been bugging me for 2 days).
Sorry Cindy, but I can top you and I'm not proud of it. Currently spending about $210 every 6-8 weeks due to an issue with color (AKA old age) that is taking a while to correct. Also, the place I go charges way too much. I usually stop at the bank first and take out a loan, sign away my first born (these days that would be my beloved sable sheltie) and then go lay my money down.
No wonder I'm broke these days!

Grave - Allegro di molto e con brio!
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
But AdagioLady - this ISN'T the CR! This is a nice place.

Poor Cindy - outdone again.

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Oh yeah, I didn't notice. I was following the links at the right. Anyway, I guess I get the prize for now....

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Adagio, no offense, but judging from your avatar you have a lot of cosmetic issues which need attention before hair!

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests." - Santayana
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
She really does, doesn't she Eusebius? laugh

LOL!
Yep, that's me. Lots of cometic issues, hence the high number!

Teachum,
better watch it. I seem to recall that there might be a thread where BOTH of our cosmetic issues could be exposed.....

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Yup - And I was going to move it here, but I can't seem to find it. Darn. Guess I'll go play.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
$210?! Zowies. I quit going to my hair dresser because the cut and color and highlight every 6 weeks was killing my budget. So I found another hairdresser for the cut ($24) and I do the color myself. Preference, by Loreal. ($9).

So, how much do you guys tip your hairdressers, anyway? I was never sure if they were supposed to get a percentage, or a flat amount.

smile Jodi

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Man Jodi - that's almost Idaho prices. How'd you find someone so inexpensive in Seattle. I don't tip if it's the owner - which is what my hairdresser is. I haven't been to someone who isn't the owner for quite awhile.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
AdagioLady:

Sorry Cindy, but I can top you and I'm not proud of it. Currently spending about $210 every 6-8 weeks due to an issue with color (AKA old age) that is taking a while to correct.
*DOH!* Hey, ya gotta pay whatever it takes to look good, right? Looking like a million bucks doesn't cost a million bucks, so what's to complain about?

OK, what category can I nail? Hmmm, I don't take prescription drugs these days, so that won't do it. My dogs are healthy, so that won't work. I have to pay bar membership fees in three states, but it's really not all that much . . .

Wait, I've got it! I have amassed the single highest utility bill for a single-family home of anyone at PW!

A few years ago I opened my water bill (which covers 3 months, I think). It is normally between $200-$300. This bill was for **$1800**!!

Ha! I thought. Some bozo at the water department made a mistake. I called and asked for a meter reading. The answer came back: $1800.

I got on the phone and asked what the sam hill was going on. Some kind of underground leak, perhaps? Maybe terrorists had tapped into my water line to poison everyone in the D.C. area?

The explanation, it turned out, was that our basement toilet was running. Just a continuous stream because something was broken that prevented it from shutting off, nothing to write home about. We had someone living down there at the time, and she told me about the toilet, but hey, I'm a busy lady, and it's just a toilet.

The water department gave us our One-Time Lifetime Toilet Exemption whereby they waive 1/2 of the bill for a running toilet, so I only had to cut a check for $900.

Oh, and the toilet needed some simple part that cost about $7 at Home Depot.

Do I win? wink

Cindy -- who listens to her toilets carefully now

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm calling a plumber tomorrow! We've had dripping faucets for a few months now, made only worse by my attempts to fix them myself.

Stooopid washerless fixtures!

On the tipping thing: I've always heard that you should tip your hairdresser (or stylist or whatever we're supposed to call 'em) IF they are renting a chair in a salon, but no tip if they own the salon. I usually just sort of "round up" as a tip... so for my routine haircut of $45, I give $50 and call it a day.

Lately I've been two-timing my hairdresser, because $45 is sooo too much to pay for my, um, "style." So I go to SuperCuts for my regular haircuts ($13!), then my fancy person for the heavy lifting. I don't color my hair, but I do "augment" my natural beauty. wink (In other words, I get a weave every 3 months or so.)

I have to bring my checkbook for that... $125!!

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I do the 15% thing even though the owner does my hair. I figure if the tip is for good service and my fella gives good service, he gets a tip.

What I can never sort out is tipping the wash person, the chemical person and the blow-dry person. The owner does the cut and style, I add the 15% tip to the credit card, and I leave it to them to fight like hyenas over it. I've never felt comfortable wandering the salon pressing single dollars into their wet hands.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I spend roughly £45.00 a year at the hairdressers. That's £15.00 three times a year.
Mind you, I am a slob. laugh

How now, brown cow.
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Well - I Idaho we don't have all those fancy services. smile The reason I don't tip the owner is because that's what I was told by an owner. Hope I'm not just being a cheapskate. Although - on teacher's salary I sort of am.

I think I'll go for who spends the most on animals in a year - commercial people excluded.

Off the top of my head I'm going to say that my animals cost me about $2,500 - $3,000 a year. I'll have to do a bit more thinking anditemization. On the other hand, maybe I won't because I've never wanted to be honest about what two horses, five dogs and two cats cost me. laugh

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Five dogs?

What kind?

Any pics?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission