2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,906 guests, and 350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congratulations again - wonderful to see how big a success "grand obsession" has become.

Perhaps I should also start writing a book about the piano industry:
how about "grand illusion".......

Norbert laugh wink

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
how about "grand illusion".......
laugh laugh laugh

hi, norbert!

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
Hi Perri:

Actually I'm far more *listening* to books these days than writing them.

My daily *forced listening exercise* unfortunately seems to include same chapters and recitals from forever same book.

"grand delusion"

Norbert laugh

O
O
Hi Perry,

Is there a date yet for when the paperback version of "Grand Obsession" will be available? I would like to get a copy for my daughter, and hardback books just don't work for her!

Many thanks and congratulations on a wonderful book.

Octavia

"These are the good old days" --Carly Simon
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
hi, octavia,

the paperback release date hasn't yet been announced, but i do know there will be one. i'm not sure why the delay, but perhaps it has something to do with the award nominations.

how old is your daughter? is she a pianist?

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Greetings Peri

I just finished reading your book recently and it resonated with me as I was a returning student of piano at age 43 as well.

I am also on a journey to find the right piano, however my quest has been stalled for various reasons (along with my lessons) which I won't go into now.

Sufficed to say, after reading your book, I have a renewed enthusiasm and determination to continue my piano journey to find and acquire the piano of my dreams and continue my lessons.

Thanks for writing such an inspiring book and all the best.

Kind Regards,

allthumbs

Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562

Single Malts Forever!
O
O
Hi Perri,

Thanks for your reply. I will watch this thread and your website for the announcement on the paperback edition. Yes, my daughter is a pianist (as am I) and also a cellist. It is always such a pleasure to read well-written books on my favorite subject!

Regards,

Octavia

"These are the good old days" --Carly Simon
Piqué,

Just finished. Awesome read! This resonates with me on so many levels and in so many particulars--wait, I need to get up and flip over the record--I actually attended a concert by Dr. Manfred Clynes in Sydney when my ship stopped there in 1981. I met him in his office while he was doing his research, at the Consortium for Music. He played the last three Beethoven sonatas. How divine is that? Thank you so much for giving us such a wonderful memoir! And thanks especially to your husband for letting you go full leash.

Craig

NY Steinway A 2005; Roland FP-7F/ FP-4
Pique:

I had no idea you wrote Grand Obsession, but I am so glad I read your book (today's project). I too am an obsessed owner of a Grotrian 192.

It's been a long time since I have posted on Piano World, and in fact, it's been a long time since I even spent time at the site. A consequnce of job changes and relocations, I guess.

Along with enjoying, and certainly understanding the quest for that magical sound, the one that resonates with each individual's soul, I appreciated the reminder that the love of pianos is so much sweeter when shared, and you have brought me back to Piano World.

Thank you for your book, and for reminding me that I need not feel alone here in Port Clinton when it comes to piano love affairs.

Dave

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
craig,
i've passed your appreciation on to mr. pique, who is bemused, because the idea of him having me on a leash of any sort, short or long, is hilarious. wink

how amazing that you got to hear and meet clynes. what do you remember of his performance and of him?
(those of you who want to learn more about him can see a link to his website on my web page's "links" page).

thanks for your kind words. if you haven't already done so, would you be willing to express your impressions of the book at amazon.com?

hi, dave,
welcome back after your long absence! yes, love of pianos is very sweet when shared. a sweet way of putting it. smile one of the best things for me about writing the book is how it has connected me with so many kindred spirits, both while writing it, and then after publication, meeting people at events and parties. i find it pretty intoxicating to be around all that piano energy.

glad you enjoyed the book, and i hope you'll find your way to some local piano parties soon.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

I love your book!! I am currently reading it right now and my love for pianos has grown even more!

Thanks soo much for writing that book!

"Why do you have to be like the Cleveland Browns when you can strive for excellence like the Pittsburgh Steelers?"

--our orchestra director to the 2nd violin (he's a diehard Steelers fan wink )
This is by far one of the best books ive ever read!

"Why do you have to be like the Cleveland Browns when you can strive for excellence like the Pittsburgh Steelers?"

--our orchestra director to the 2nd violin (he's a diehard Steelers fan wink )
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Frank,
I just saw the picture of you next to the picture of Richard Dreyfuss. At first I thought you just posted two pictures of yourself - LOL.

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
wow, piano dreamer, that is high praise. thanks for the feedback. i hope you continue to enjoy it.

this weekend i'm one of the many presenters at the montana festival of the book. we had readings yesterday, and today i'm on a panel discussion about writing memoir.

tonight, tom mcguane is the big draw at the finale reading in the historic wilma theater.

here's the link to the festivities:

2008 montana festival of the book

last weekend, i had the honor of reading from "grand obsession" in between performances of all kinds of music, some serious, some wacky, at the university of montana school of music's "pianissimo!" piano extravaganza. that was loads of fun, and we had a huge crowd--probably 300 people in the hall, as just about every seat was taken.

people seem to really get off on the reading/piano performance combination, and it draws very big audiences. i think the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. smile

the organizer of that event has agreed to be my piano teacher, quite a privilege!, and so i am now studying piano at the music school. i am thrilled.

we're working quite intensively on getting my basic skills up to speed, using the royal conservatory of toronto method (the teacher is a graduate of their program). i am learning so much!

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

V
V
What an amazing book, pique. I just bought it today and I'm having a hard time putting it down!

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
thanks for letting me know. i hope you continue to enjoy it. smile

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

M
M
Hey,
has anyone seen this?

http://www.musicouch.com/Genres/Classical/Showing-Virtuosity-in-60-Seconds.357351

It reminds me of the book, enjoy smile

D
D
I haven't read a story book for quite sometime, it must be "something" that drawn me to pick this off shelf. Just as i thought piano books are all technical and musical stuffs. This is something different, thumb It speaks brillantly at some similar situation of mine which i doubt i can express myself. I'm finishing soon and more than excited to know the fate of Marlene. Oh no what to read next? :rolleyes:

More superlatives about the book. Much enjoyed. We had a surprisingly similar experience, but without the level of articulation or determination. Was quite a relief, a big PHEW to find we were not alone in having had a taste of, losing it, and the semi-elusive search for that hard to word something, I called it magic, liquidity, fluidity, involvement.

I don't want to do a spoiler, or ruin the punchline for those who have not read the book, but (isn't that a loaded word...?) is there a list of tuners who can do the particular style that hit the spot for you?

Thanks.

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
hi, ongaku,

to answer your question:

a list of tuners? no.

but, (spoiler alert!) there is a school of tuning that tends to create this sound. when i was in germany, i heard many pianos in the shops there that have a sound that is similar.

tom, my regular tech, says the style of tuning is more like how it was done back when he was in school, some 30 years ago or more. it's a quieter tuning, less excitement in it, than what is commonly done today.

if someone, however, wants to experience what i experienced, they'd have to use the same tuner, and a piano of about the same size. the string scale design is an important component of the sound. i've played a steinway d with this tuning on it, and it doesn't sound the same.

so, if you have a piano in the neighborhood of 6' long, you can get a sound like this. it's a tuning that works best with more harmonics, less fundamental.

otherwise, marc recommends that you have your technician tune and re-tune and re-tune. the more you tune the piano, the more refined it gets, and then it crosses over into something....

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission