2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by piqué:
hey, as of today, the book is "in stock" at amazon. which means it is now possible to post a five star review. (sorry, other star ratings won't post there. wink )

and we're expecting a big BIG review in a major outlet on sunday. i can't say where or i'll jinx it. wink

stay tuned.

but truly, in the meantime, feel free to post your review at amazon.

(frank has a button to the right side of this page)
I see there are two 5 star reviews showing so far. Submitted mine this afternoon but it hasn't gone live yet.

Come on folks, if you've read the book, post a nice review so we can push it up in the rankings.

If you haven't read it ... What are you waiting for? smile

There's a link to the book on Amazon in the right column of the forums, and another link to read excerpts from a few chapters (with another excerpt coming soon).

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

I received the book a week ago and this is what I wrote to Pique:

"Message: Perri, I just finished your book and I wanted to share with you my appreciation.

Until now, no one has been able to define what I've been feeling about the "vibration" or "sound". Not only did you translate for me the thoughts and feelings I've had about the piano, but you reached in and "warranted" all
the second guessing I had done in thinking I was so different in what I was hearing.

I have a step son who plays and he hears nothing except his music.

I told him I wanted to be like that, but I'm not. I hear "through" the sound and listen to the vibrations. I can't help it, I wished I could, but thanks to you, my heart is content in knowing the reasons for my obession with vibration.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for writing your book. I will read it again and again. I cried through most of it as you described "my"
emotions. I haven't gone to the extent of finding the answers but am so glad you did.

I wanted to rescue you from the techs that treated you so badly and felt myself getting so angry because of their ignorance.

I feel like visiting Beethoven Pianos. I don't
travel much at all, but maybe one day.

I'm joining pianoworld today as libby girl if only to voice my sincerest appreciation for your ability to find "the answers" that many of us have.

3hearts

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
libby,

it is humbling to read your words and realize there are so many of us out there who resonate to these experiences.

thank you for reading, and for writing.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
Pique - I just ordered my book through Amazon...and it is on the way. I can hardly wait to get it.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm up for dinner after the Pianothon.

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
see next post....

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by pianoloverus:
I'm up for dinner after the Pianothon.
great! who else is in?

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
At this point I am planning on joining the PianoThon.

If I do, I'll join you for dinner.

I see the book is up to 6 reviews on Amazon.com now, all 5 star, including one by someone who isn't even into piano :-)

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
pique, I'm enjoying reading the book and hearing about familiar characters. It's fun. I'm just in the middle so far and it did arrive as a Christmas present. So I'll get back to reading it in a moment.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

got my book in the mail today! smile

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
i'm leaving for ny on saturday, and won't have regular internet access after tomorrow.

if people want to arrange to get together for dinner after the pianothon and book a restaurant, please go ahead. you can always email me through the "contact" form on the book's website.

www.grandobsession.com

see you there!

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
here's what will probably be the final update on the new york city events:

Friday, January 11, 2008, 7 pm, Barnes & Noble Lincoln Center, 1972 Broadway at West 66th St. (212) 595-6859. Perri will read, take questions, and sign books. Then Gabor Fuchs, Mikhail Pais, and Lex Korten perform classical and jazz on a Bösendorfer grand provided by Beethoven Pianos. Fuchs, trained at Moscow Conservatory, has been celebrated for his “sweeping, virtuosic flair” by The New York Times. His U.S. engagements have included Alice Tully Hall, Weill Recital Hall, and Merkin Concert Hall. Pais, 17, began his piano studies at the age of six at the Shostakovich Music School in Russia, and is the winner of multiple competitions. Korten, 13, is a jazz phenomenon who has lately been holding audiences spellbound in clubs around Manhattan.

(note to pw members--lex is grotriman's son!)

Saturday, January 12, 2008, 1:30-6:30 pm, the inaugural Piano Row “Pianothon,” celebrating the inception of the new Piano Row Association. West 58th Street between Broadway and Seventh Ave. Beethoven Pianos, Klavierhaus, Bechstein Piano Centre, and Faust Harrison Pianos host readings, a technical demonstration, performances, and a roving piano party on the only block devoted to piano showrooms in New York. You will have the opportunity to play the pianos at the end of each presentation, and GRAND OBSESSION will be available for sale and signing at each of the showrooms.

PIANOTHON SCHEDULE

1:30 pm Beethoven Pianos, 232 West 58th St. Perri reads from GRAND OBSESSION, and Marc Wienert, chief of piano technology at the Manhattan School of Music, demonstrates his “Schubert concert tuning” on a Grotrian Cabinet grand (see Chapters 8, 12, 20, and 28), discusses tuning styles and “stretch characteristic,” and takes questions. Listeners will experience the sound that ignited Perri’s quest.

3 pm Klavierhaus, 211 West 58th St. Perri reads, and pianists [/b]Joseph Kubera and Mike “Phlebas” Olsen[/b] reprise their performances in GRAND OBSESSION on a gold Art case Pleyel and a new Italian make, a Fazioli. (See Chapter 15.) Joseph is well-known on the international contemporary music scene, and Mike is a long-time habituè of Pianoworld.com. Their performances will demonstrate the broad range of distinctive voices possible in pianos, and their suitability for different types of music. Questions and discussion to follow.

(note to pw members: joseph kubera is our "realplayer" and mike is our "phlebas.")

4 pm Bechstein Piano Centre, 207 West 58th St. Perri reads, then Temuri Akhobadze, a concert pianist and émigré from the former Soviet republic of Georgia, plays Scriabin and Schumann on a Bechstein model C grand.

5 pm Faust Harrison Pianos, 205 West 58th St. Perri reads, and store co-owner and composer Michael Harrison reprises his performance in GRAND OBSESSION of his abridged version of Revelation: Music in Pure Intonation (See Chapter 22) on a Blüthner concert grand. Revelation was named a top classical recording of 2007 by The New York Times and The Boston Globe. Michael and author/musicologist Stuart Isacoff will take questions about the art and science of this extraordinary listening experience. CDs available.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Just finished the book... bravo!

"1:30 pm Beethoven Pianos, 232 West 58th St. Perri reads from GRAND OBSESSION, and Marc Wienert, chief of piano technology at the Manhattan School of Music, demonstrates his “Schubert concert tuning” on a Grotrian Cabinet grand (see Chapters 8, 12, 20, and 28), discusses tuning styles and “stretch characteristic,” and takes questions. Listeners will experience the sound that ignited Perri’s quest."

Okay, after finishing this book, this is just painful to know about... smile To be IN Beethoven piano's and meet Perri AND Marc... AND hear the tuning on a Grotrian?

Why o why am I living on the west coast? O the humanity!

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
goose, i have just two words for you:

jet blue.

laugh

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

smile You know, I really am considering it... but I dunno, I'm so new to this. I'm a *real* beginner, meaning I have like ONE song in my repertoire, and would feel really out of my league. Not that there's any expectations, but this seems... I dunno.

Anyway, I've never been to NY so there's a lot more to figure out than jet blue...

I'm thinking about it...

lol at myself...

I'm so green to the East coast...

Where would I fly in exactly? JFK?

Thx for any info...

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Fly to Newark NJ or LaGuardia. JFK is to far East.

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
i think jet blue only flies to jfk. alaska air flies to ewr (newark). i'll be there at midnight tonight. if you want to fly into laguardia, use northwest.

there's nothing wrong with flying into jfk. it's just a slightly longer trip into the city, but not that much longer. and if you really want to come, i think only jet blue is going to have affordable fares on such short notice.

do a quick search on expedia for airfares, then go directly to the cheapest airline's website to get the fare a few dollards cheaper.

alaska may be reasonable, too. the regional airlines seem to have the best deals.

as for a place to stay in the city, "name your own price" on priceline can yield some amazing deals. be bold and ask for a four star or three star hotel for under $100 and see what happens. smile

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

OK, im going. smile Though I'm getting in at 7:55am Sat. haha.

See you there! I'm friggin excited!

Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission