2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (brdwyguy, accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,896 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I took a few video clips of the events.

This clip is our shining star, pique, at the Barnes and Noble reading. This is from Chapter One and she is telling the audience about her epiphany.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2aOwc-Pios

The next clip is Phlebas dazzling everyone with a gorgeous Chopin etude on a Fazioli concert grand:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1czcufveYQ

And last, but certainly not least, is RealPlayer performing a powerful Ives piece on the same Faziloi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtjZmCSPJp8

I hope this will give you all a taste of what you missed -- it was an event well worth attending! By the way, pique is one of the most charming ladies I've ever met. Her joy and ebullience radiated from every pore and I was thrilled for her successful weekend. I began reading my inscribed copy on the train trip home today, and am enjoying it immensely! Pique, you are an elegant writer - a word maestro!

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. - Beverly Sills
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yet another, "gee, I wish I could've been there" post. laugh

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I see the book now has 10 - 5 Star Reviews on Amazon.com thumb

It's great to read so many positive comments.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

The event was awesome. Thanks so much Perri and all for all the reading and dialog. AND let's not forget the performances! I've never been around so many talented people in one room (at least not that I was acutely aware of wink ).

I have a couple pics I will try to post soon.

Bravo!

p.s. I tried to submit a review on Amazon, but it never showed up. Will have to try again...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Pique, I'm trying to PM you, but your box is (understandably) full...

Anne Francis
Piano Tuner-Technician

Check out my blog! www.annefrancis.ca/blog

1906 Heintzman upright (rebuilt)
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
hi, everyone, finally getting a moment to settle down a bit.

it was an awesome weekend. thanks to all of you who came. attendance certainly exceeded our expectations and it was so wonderful to see every one of you.

i will reply to specific posts in due time. i need to get some sleep. just put mr. pique on a plane, and i head directly to anaheim from jfk on weds. look for me at the grotrian booth or come to steve miller's party on saturday!

anne, you can write to me any time through my website's contact form.

'night!

pk

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
Anaheim, CA... My home town! (well sorta, Santa Ana/Irvine)

Have fun down there!

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
here's some pictures from my camera, most of them taken by mr. pique:

l-r: phlebas, plays88keys, cathys at bricco, the italian restaurant we all went to after the pianothon:

[Linked Image]

frank, i was so sorry to miss you at dinner. i hope we have a chance to spend more time together in anaheim.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
across the table from the above are, l-r: realplayer, bernard, matt (salesperson at faust harrison) and matt's friend:

[Linked Image]

at the other table we have, l-r, brian, a friend of my brother's, my close friend kim (who appears in the book), mr. pique at the head of the table, joe (brian's partner), my brother (with the goatee), and my brother's partner john.

[Linked Image]

here's the scene at faust harrison--we filled two rooms, standing room only for this event:

[Linked Image]

packed house at klavierhaus, where phlebas and realplayer performed chopin and ives on a vintage pleyel and a new fazioli, a la "grand obsession" chapter "the piano crawl."

[Linked Image]

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
here's the scene at beethoven pianos, also standing room only, where marc wienert demonstrated his technical prowess on two grotrian grands:

[Linked Image]

we had lots of local ptg members at that event!

here's me and marc sitting before the boesendorfer provided by carl demler, owner of beethoven pianos, at the barnes & noble reading. marc prepared this piano, too. it was lovely! thank you marc and carl!

[Linked Image]

do my pre-performance jitters show? this is just before the b&n event:

[Linked Image]

thanks so much to all of you who came. to spend three days in the company of my fellow pianophiles was heaven on earth for me. especial thanks to those of you who traveled so far and made this event even more special by your presence.

it may be very hard for me to get online after tomorrow, when i fly to anaheim, so if i don't reply to you or show up for a while, that's why.

here's a heads up for this coming sunday, january 20th: both the new york times book review and the washington post book world are reviewing "grand obsession" ! we should be able to read it online during the party at steve miller's.

of course i am a bit on tenterhooks about what kind of a review i will get, but considering that these publications only review very few books out of the 200,000 that are published every year, just to appear in their pages is an honor, no matter how the review turns out.

so, look for it.

and also thanks to the many of you who have provided those five-star reviews to amazon!!! you are really giving the book a boost and i appreciate it so much.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by piqué:
here's some pictures from my camera, most of them taken by mr. pique:

l-r: phlebas, plays88keys, cathys at bricco, the italian restaurant we all went to after the pianothon:

frank, i was so sorry to miss you at dinner. i hope we have a chance to spend more time together in anaheim.
Hi Pique'

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.
I'm sorry I couldn't join everyone at the dinner, would have loved to sit and chat.

I had two teeth pulled on Thursday, and it didn't go well. I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say I'd reached capacity Sat. night, and knowing I still had a 3 hour drive, decided I'd better just hit the road.

Looking forward to seeing you at NAMM, and at the piano party/book signing. We'll defintely catch up in CA.

I hope a lot of members (and non-members/future members) will be joining us at Steve's party.

NYT and the Washington Post? Yikes!

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I love this topic - Pique - and Grand Obsession!

I keep picking up my autographed book to read again and again - I just can't get enough. It is so alive, I'm present in the midst of it, it speaks deeply to me, and I've treasured the first chapter as I started. I had to put the book down at the end of chapter 1 and absorb all that I witnessed. There were many other places where I stopped and dwelled too.

I don't read books like this - I zip through - get the highpoints and pick up another. This book is still with me, since before Christmas, and I wonder if it will always now reside on the table next to my reading chair.

This book, and this topic here is something that is breathing new experiences into my life. The people, the many people who contributed to the story, the problem, the dedication. All that travel. It's a story of dedication and destiny.

I emailed this thread to myself so I can enjoy the contents here, and when it is time for my granddaughter to inherit my music library, she will have this book as the "jewel" on the top with a private note to her, and the writings and pictures in the forum.

Excellent and meaningful! Thank you, Pique!

And, thank you, over and over again, to the PWF friend who gifted me with "Grand Obsession". This story is most significant to me!

Betty

Pique', thank you, thank you, thank you for the wonderful book!! I am about half-way through and can hardly put it down to attend to the tasks of day-to-day living! Music is such an integral part of life, in fact, the life force for many of us. To know I am not alone in my piano obsession is like a giant caress to my soul. The book contains so many insights, so much knowledge, and puts into words what so many of us must feel. Thank you so much for the work and effort put into sharing your experiences with the rest of us, especially those of us out here in the "boonies". I trust that the book will be wildly successful!

Steinway B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What a wonderful day! smile

I really had a fantastic time at this get together. I learned a lot from Perri and Marc's stories and lectures. And I tried out many of the pianos there! No "one" piano spoke to my heart, eek though I liked the tone from the Bluthner I played at Faust Harrison.

I am three quarters the way through the copy I purchased and Pique autographed for me. I learned valuable lessons from this book. I am confident they will serve as a guide as I shop for pianos. I was also amazed how supportive everyone is. I had a quick lesson in playing Chopin at the Bechstein store. laugh

Thank you Pique for putting together a great piano party. This day was truly "Piano Heaven", wow I could imagine what we can do for an encore!

- Mark

...The ultimate joy in music is the joy of playing the piano...
M
M
So, how about some impressions of the pianos / performances?
1) Beethoven - the two 192s were glorious. It was ear-opening to compare the two tunings. Honestly I liked them both, with the "concert" tuning being a familiar beast, and the "Schubert" tuning closer and more intimate. I think the "S" requires more precision and possibly more brilliance in playing while the "C" is naturally more open and allows for easier subtlety.
2) KlavierHaus - Fazioli / Pleyel smackdown. What a wonderful aura of overtones! Chopin's great on it. The waltz was scary on the Fazioli, interesting, considering I loved the tone on the big one in the other room. The Ives though justified the instrument, with the clarity and distinctness serving the complex harmonics and melodic movement well. I guess everyone needs at least two pianos. Enjoyed Realplayer's playing very much.
3) Bechstein - they were a little uncomfortable with the group, but they're the new kid on the block. They have a good selection too to test. The russian was an excellent player, limpid and transporting, although I didn't care for the precision of his syncopated piece playing.
4) Faust-Harrison - what to make of that? What a glorious piano the Bluthner is! pique's stab at Chopin on that bizzare tuning was a hoot. Can't say I care for the Michael Harrison's cliquey esotericism, but he is quite genuine in his efforts and accomplishes a lot in that piece - if you can stay with it, it engages one in a lot of ways. It gave me ideas on how to re-interpret the Villa Lobos Toccata. I liked the skew of hearing a piece in a different tuning, but I didn't hear trombones sitars gazelles sighing and whatnot.
After the piano crawl was over, I felt as though I was emerging from a exalted state. I totally forgot to drop my daughter off at a sleepover, but recovered from that. What a great day.

Online Content
Congratulations Pique on the terrific review of your book in the New York Times Book Review!

J
J
Congratulations Pique on the reviews. Finished the book a few days ago and look forward to re-reading in a few months.

Here I links to the Washington Post Review:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/17/AR2008011702947_pf.html

New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/20/books/review/Brockes-t.html

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Hi, Pique!

I bought your book at Barnes & Nobles in Nashua, New Hampshire on Friday. Been reading it every chance I get since then. It's a real page turner! So many things you say and write about resonate with my feelings also!

I'm just checking in briefly at this time, however. I haven't finished reading your book yet and my husband, Lloyd, keeps stealing it. He's in the sunporch right now finishing up a chapter. laugh I'll post again later on after I've finished reading it.

A few parting thoughts for now... I'm wondering if you have any preferences about whether some of the finer points you talk about in your book are discussed (or should I say "revealed") on PW? And if that is Ok with you and I or someone else were to do that, I would suggest the title of the post include a disclaimer of some sort, i.e. "For Those Who Have Already Read "Grand Obsession".
I say that because there are things I think best left for readers to discover for themselves in your book. I'd not want that experience to be spoiled!

Congrats, again, on "Grand Obsession!" smile

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/107473/1.html
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Pique, may I join in the congratulations for the ecstatic NYT review. (I went out and bought the NYT this morning, but couldn't get the Washington Post and so haven't read it yet--thanks for the links, Joseph L!)

Anne Francis
Piano Tuner-Technician

Check out my blog! www.annefrancis.ca/blog

1906 Heintzman upright (rebuilt)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Very much enjoying the book, pique. Great read. thumb

I picked up the Times today and cut out the review. Will keep it tucked inside the front cover.

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission