2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17
K
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
K
Originally posted by KlavierBauer:

I wish we had a better medium to discuss such serious issues in. This turn-based discussion makes it more like a strategy game than a friendly discussion. Since speech is not my first language, it's difficult for me to relay thoughts in this fashion. I wish I could just upload my thought process to you as one understanding, and wish you could do the same.
I sometimes feel very limited here, and really feel that I don't convey what I'm actually feeling very well.
\
I relate.
Writing to perfectly convey one's feelings and thoughts is tough.
It is like translating.
Then you have to consider all the biases of the reader. :rolleyes:

What did you mean when you said, "speech is not my first language"?

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Sure, Jeffboy -- I'll take you up on it -- I just ordered it.

The reviews I've read have not been stellar, but if you think it is authentic and dispassionate scholarship (and not a tendetious screed that ignores counterindications), I'll give it a go.

You can brush up on Theology for Beginners while I think about the "one book" -- don't worry, it won't be the Summa Theologiae. smile

Estonically yours,

Ivorythumper

"Man without mysticism is a monster"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
hmmm this is interesting, i like this bet between jeff and IT.

jeff and I have been trading book reccomendations by PM and ill add his.

waiting for IT's rec.

jeff, have beevor's fall of belin, waiting for next stint in reserves, last week of march.

"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
it: I'm always interested in reading books from viewpionts different from mine. I assumed you were going to assign me the whole Bible. Or maybe the Catholic Encyclopedia. smile

You may find Kertzer's book tendentious, given the topic, but it seems to cite many facts quite dispassionately and specifically and exactly. Your review can criticize the book, and present your analysis, if you wish. I promise in good faith to read your review and analysis as well. I would in principle prefer to believe that a major social institution with a fabulous contribtion to the history of art at the center of my (second) favorite city - Rome - was *not* out to get the Jews, but I believe the facts speak otherwise, to my dismay. I await your review.

I already did order Theology for Beginners a few weeks ago. I will read it to broaden my knowledge (perhaps on the Amtrak today - I will probably go to Philly to see the Dali exhibit). You can still pick another book.

Best to all - Jeffrey

[edit: don't just pop by to see the Dali exhibit. Tickets are sold out several weeks in advance. Glad I called to check before going to Philly. I have tickets for the 25th reserved. smile ]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Kenny, I guess I was referring to music,which is a much better form of communication for me.
Of course that form is very limited in terms of specifics, but in terms of accuracey between what I think, and what I convey, it is much much closer to 100% than is speech or language for me.

Jeffery,

Unlike IT, I have no problem conceding to the point that the Catholic Church in the past has had policies that in the light of contemporary morality might be deemed "unkind." I also believe that the Church was in these matters a product of the morals of those days and did not live up to the mandate it professed to have derived from God. If one of course posits that there is no God, then it was simply a group of men ad hearing to the rather autocratic mores of the time. The Church and the civil government both wanted a homogenous community to rule and the Jews were punished for being problematical.

On the other hand, the Jews were bothersome to the Church and to the civil government, since the terms "self determination" and "multicultural" were not as yet talking points in society, the Jews consistently presented themselves as God's Chosen People, (again if one were to posit no God--quite a pompous claim!) The Jews lent money and levied interest, (an unpopular trade at the time,) and in general broke the social, economic and religious mores of their times. They were punished for their non conformity in a society that valued conformity.

All they had to do was comply a bit--in the end what would be the difference? As Henry IV of France said, "Paris is worth a Mass."

In hindsight, mistakes were made all around.

S
S
Mercutio, have you always been full of crap or did you work your way up to it? The Jews WERE God's chosen people. Actually, maybe we still are. And talk about spin! The Jews wouldn't assimilate? What kind of bullshit is that supposed to be? They were freaking PROHIBITED from assimilating!

Man, you sure do a great job of being an apologist for the anti-Semites.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome Says Mighty (whats your name mean?).

I see I just found half of your posts here...I take it your newly registered name just met approval and now you're having fun cussing?

-The 89th Key [Linked Image]

[Linked Image] www.thecollegecritic.com [Linked Image]
--- Integrity | Loyalty | Simplicity ---
S
S
What does your name mean? Mine's a perfectly legit last name. No, I don't have 'fun cussing' but when someone puts this kind of feces on a discussion board I call a spade a spade.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You cant read English? I'm the key after the 88th key. thumb

Where are you from to acquire a consonant-only last name?

Oh, and although they are highly effective as adjectives from time to time...in a venue such as this online forum, those who need to cuss in order to articulate their argument (while concurrently choosing not to utilize the luxury of organizing and manifesting their respective thoughts into visual words) will be seen as an immature and lacking intelligence.

Except for Gumby, damn it! wink

S
S
Don't be such a toad. Do you have something meaningfull to add or are you just being a twit?

S
S
And if you're the key after the 88th key then you don't exist. It's nice to know I'm being dissed by something that isn't even there.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Let's keep the list going oh user of such empty words. Toad, twit, not really here, et cetera.....

Keep 'em coming Shakespeare! thumb

S
S
You bore me. Please shut up.

J
J
There are consequences to every action. If a woman has sex, she has to accept that she may get pregnant. If you drive drunk, you have to accept that you may go to jail. As with having a baby going to jail may be unpleasant for a young person and even traumatic; but there are consequences to every action. A young girl may not be ready for motherhood; another one isn't ready to sit in jail for a year for a stupid mistake either but thats life. At least the mother can give the baby up for adoption and move on with her life. Banning abortion does not turn women into breeders; they are simply living out the consequences of their actions like everyone else.

Someone else mentioned that we need to keep abortion legal and regulated so that women don't go to "back alley" abortionists. In that case, I think we should legalize cocaine, heroin, ecstasy, and every other cocievable drug. This should be legal so that it can be regulated and people can be given information and make informed decisions, instead of going to a "back alley" drug dealer who may give them unsafe doses or have questionable content. Also, less people would be blown up in makeshift meth lab explosions. Desperate people are going to buy drugs anyway, don't we want them to be safe?

I think that logic is flawed.

R
RZ Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally posted by jsta_grl:

Someone else mentioned that we need to keep abortion legal and regulated so that women don't go to "back alley" abortionists. In that case, I think we should legalize cocaine, heroin, ecstasy, and every other cocievable drug. This should be legal so that it can be regulated and people can be given information and make informed decisions, instead of going to a "back alley" drug dealer who may give them unsafe doses or have questionable content. Also, less people would be blown up in makeshift meth lab explosions. Desperate people are going to buy drugs anyway, don't we want them to be safe?

Actually, there are many of us who would agree with this view. I do not see the logic as flawed.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
There are consequences to every action. If a woman has sex, she has to accept that she may get pregnant. If you drive drunk, you have to accept that you may go to jail. As with having a baby going to jail may be unpleasant for a young person and even traumatic; but there are consequences to every action. A young girl may not be ready for motherhood; another one isn't ready to sit in jail for a year for a stupid mistake either but thats life. At least the mother can give the baby up for adoption and move on with her life. Banning abortion does not turn women into breeders; they are simply living out the consequences of their actions like everyone else.
Just what I was trying to say ealier, only explained better. Great post!

For off-topic discussion, please feel free to visit www.coffee-room.com
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally posted by jgoo:
[b] There are consequences to every action. If a woman has sex, she has to accept that she may get pregnant. If you drive drunk, you have to accept that you may go to jail. As with having a baby going to jail may be unpleasant for a young person and even traumatic; but there are consequences to every action. A young girl may not be ready for motherhood; another one isn't ready to sit in jail for a year for a stupid mistake either but thats life. At least the mother can give the baby up for adoption and move on with her life. Banning abortion does not turn women into breeders; they are simply living out the consequences of their actions like everyone else.
Just what I was trying to say ealier, only explained better. Great post! [/b]
Precisely. Women should be punished for getting pregnant and not allowed to use an abortion to escape the consequences.

Similarly, women should be punished for having sex, and not allowed to use birth control to escape the consequences.

All very logical, and espoused by the same group of people.

gotta go practice
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Great post jsta_grl. smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Szmyt:
You bore me. Please shut up.
A thousand apologies oh master, I sometimes forget I am here to entertain you. thumb

Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission