2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
it is being that is human.... don't KID yourself..

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Typical Coffee Room:

Just compare your adversary's position to Nazism. Works every time. :rolleyes:

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. - Clemens
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Jolly:

However, if a young girl is emotionally sound enough to spread her legs on purpose, she should live with the consequences...as should the male half of that horizontal mambo.
Yes she *should*. But my question is what do we do as a society when she still decides she doesn't want to? This goes back to the post I made to Apple and Just me. Do you suggest that we illegalize it so she can suffer more?

Elena
http://www.pianofourhands.com

Schnabel's advie to Horowitz: "When a piece gets difficult, make faces."
Originally posted by Matt G.:
Typical Coffee Room:

Just compare your adversary's position to Nazism. Works every time. :rolleyes:
Bullseye!

Didn't think it would be so easy.

laugh

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
apple etc. - The view that life begins at conception is a narrow religious view. Even the Catholic Church did not believe this until very recently - the 1800's. Aquinas, for example, held that life began at quickening - roughly 4-5 months, about when 90 percent of all abortions in the US are held. The rest are usually for serious medical reasons. There is no reason to impose a sectarian religious viewpoint on the rest of the country.

I'm off to contribute more charitable donations to abortion rights organizations to make sure we keep our freedoms.

As for the Nazi analogies - I believe they were against abortion as part of their "Children, Cooking and Church" campaign to keep women in the home, out of the workforce, and breeding, which is the general motivation for anti-abortion politics today as well. The better comparison is between anti-abortion fanatics and the Nazi party.

Originally posted by Jeffrey:

As for the Nazi analogies - I believe they were against abortion as part of their "Children, Cooking and Church" campaign to keep women in the home, out of the workforce, and breeding, which is the general motivation for anti-abortion politics today as well. The better comparison is between anti-abortion fanatics and the Nazi party.
Jeffery,

The point I was making (far above Matt's head, :rolleyes: ) was that words are words--they hold no particular meaning in fact, unless we give them meaning. Analogies are often akin to lies in the most intimate of ways. Anyone can define the meaning of "human" in any way they feel is convenient. My suggestion is that we define the term in the most inclusive way possible--to avoid confusion.

With all due respect.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ivorythumper:What is the difference whether the child is living inside the womb or outside of it?
The difference is that it's the mother which is keeping the foetus alive. Outside the mother's body, the foetus wouldn't survive. It's that simple.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Mercutio:
The point I was making (far above Matt's head, :rolleyes: ) was that words are words--they hold no particular meaning in fact, unless we give them meaning.
Oh, good grief, another would-be semiotician manqué. :rolleyes: Let 'em roll, Merc. You'll find that few, if any, things are above my head. (Oh, and thank you for the insult, BTW.)

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. - Clemens
Originally posted by phykell:
Originally posted by ivorythumper:[b]What is the difference whether the child is living inside the womb or outside of it?
The difference is that it's the mother which is keeping the foetus alive. Outside the mother's body, the foetus wouldn't survive. It's that simple. [/b]
Then no partial birth abortions?

That's a start.

smile

Originally posted by Matt G.:
Originally posted by Mercutio:
[b]The point I was making (far above Matt's head, :rolleyes: ) was that words are words--they hold no particular meaning in fact, unless we give them meaning.
Oh, good grief, another would-be semiotician manqué. :rolleyes: Let 'em roll, Merc. You'll find that few, if any, things are above my head. (Oh, and thank you for the insult, BTW.) [/b]
No offence Matt, but you whacked me first.

And the accent of manque--how delicate of you! A sublime charm, a jewel; I am in awe.

Your humble servant,

Mercutio

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
This won't be fun enough for me for at least 12 more pages!

Just kidding...

On a serious note though, I think I will respectfully decline from this thread, rather than muddy the waters anymore.

Originally posted by Jolly:
Originally posted by Jeffrey:
[b] ivory: "Tell me that's not a human being."

Deal. It's not a human being. It is a potential human being, but it is not a human being yet, any more than an acorn is an oak tree.
On this one, you're dead wrong.

Ask Scott Peterson. [/b]
Anybody remember "Miracle on 34th Street". I hope I've got the name right, it's the old Christmas movie with Natalie Wood, and Maureen O'Hara...well, the existence of Santa Claus was proven when an official government agency recognized him.

In the case of the Peterson trial, was not Scott convicted of his son's murder?

How can one be convicted of murdering that which does not exist?

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Decline accepted. wink And I'm going to bed. I have no inclination to humor possible sockpuppetts like Mercutio.

Elena

Schnabel's advie to Horowitz: "When a piece gets difficult, make faces."
Originally posted by EHpianist:
Decline accepted. wink And I'm going to bed. I have no inclination to humor possible sockpuppetts like Mercutio.

Elena
All in life is gray, vast gray--no black, no white--alas, now to slumber I must go--in gray; ever in gray. frown

You should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

All in gray.

laugh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The imagery in that video was stunning! Thank you for posting the link Ivory. I wish we had National Geographic included with our cable channels. I would love to watch the program. The miracle of life never ceases to amaze me. smile

R
RZ Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I read the following in the journal "First Things."

"First Things" describes itself as the journal of religion, culture, and public life. It is primarily conservative (true conservative, I would not say "right wing") in its commentary, and is one of the most intelligent and challenging publications I receive.

This article was written by Richard Neuhaus, a Jesuit priest. I found it interesting because of his political analysis of the abortion issue if Roe V Wade is overturned or severely limited; he argues that abortion will shift from being a GOP issue to a Democratic issue, if this happens.

I offer it here for your comments.

Quite suddenly, or so it seems to many, the prospect of Roe v. Wade being overturned or effectively nullified has entered mainstream discussion. This has everything to do, of course, with the November 2004 election and the filling of vacancies on the Supreme Court. James Taranto, writing in the Wall Street Journal, takes a cool, some might say jaded, view of the possible political consequences: “Republicans are an extreme antiabortion party only in theory. When it comes to actual legislation, the GOP favors only modest—and popular—regulations. The Democrats, on the other hand, must defend such unpopular practices as partial-birth abortion, taxpayer-subsidized abortion, and abortions for thirteen-years-olds without their parents’ knowledge. If the Supreme Court overturned Roe, legislators would have to consider the legality of abortion itself. Antiabortion absolutists would demand action from Republicans—but the GOP would be unable to comply without putting off moderate voters, who are much more numerous. Thus the battle would shift to terrain far more favorable to the Democrats. Congressional Republicans’ smartest response would be to avoid the issue and leave it to the state legislatures. But this would free Democrats as well as Republicans to tailor their positions to match their constituents’. Abortion would likely remain legal in much of the country, and the Democratic Party would find it has nothing to fear from democracy.” Returning abortion policy to the states might well be the best course of action available. But to say abortion “would likely remain legal in much of the country” is somewhat misleading. More probably, it would remain legal in certain circumstances; perhaps in the first month or two or in the much discussed but little encountered instances of rape, incest, and direct threat to the life of the mother. It is possible but by no means certain that any state would adopt the unlimited abortion license mandated by Roe. Some states would likely provide comprehensive legal protection for the unborn from conception on. There is another factor, however. Today no court can plausibly follow Roe in claiming that we do not know when a human life begins. Over these thirty-plus years, every literate person has learned, if they did not know before, the basic science about when a human life begins. Nor is it likely that in the future pro-abortionists will be able to use the Dred Scott-like argument about the meaning of “person” employed by Roe. Politically and judicially, the question will be posed in an unevadable manner as to why some who are undeniably human beings have a right to legal protection while others do not. Speculation such as that by Taranto will undoubtedly become more widespread. The debate over abortion may take surprising twists and turns as people seek a politically sustainable equilibrium on the single most potent question in our public life. Attention must be paid to strategies and tactics and surprising turns, but those who understand what is at stake will never weary in working toward a society in which—if I may be permitted to say it for the thousandth time—every unborn child is protected in law and welcomed in life.

Three points:

1. RJN is not a Jesuit.

2. Nothing given to the federal government EVER gets returned to the states.

and 3. The Democrats have EVERYTHING to fear from Democracy. That's why they are using plan B. (The courts.) They fail in every referendum they try. (Remember "gay marriage?)

laugh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Time for Tybalt to show up.

Some can tell you to go to heck in such a manner that you would think you might actually enjoy the trip, but that is far more polite than civil - JBryan
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
nunatax, there's only one poster who regularly follows you.... he's one past key #88

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I believe the Taliban banned abortion, too. Good company for the anti-abortion types here.

Oh, and I know who Mercutio is, there is a mistake in his spelling that only one long-time poster regularly has.

Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission