2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 1,191 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Jeffrey:
You need to prove that the human genetic material in the womb has equal rights to the adult person. That is what the whole debate is about You consistently fail to even try to do so, ducking with various terminological slights of hand that assume what you need to prove.
No, I don't Jeffboy. All that needs to be shown -- which science does -- is that this "human genetic material" is a human being, of a separate identity and substance than the mother.

You are the one who constantly evades the issue. Is the foetus, or is it not, a unique being of a human nature?

If it is, then abortion kills a human being. If it is not, then abortion is no more a moral issue than an elective liposuction.

That is what the debate is about.

That is what you and all proborts try to avoid with talk of "human genetic material" and "uterine contents"

That is what you do not have the courage to answer truthfully. Show me an accredited embryology textbook that describes the embryo as merely "human genetic material" or as merely "part of the mother".

This is not a religious position in any manner.

Estonically yours,

Ivorythumper

"Man without mysticism is a monster"
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally posted by ivorythumper:

If you want people to be "nice" -- as if that were a particularly high civic virtue -- just stop giving people valid reasons to be angry.
Ah. I get it. You believe the End justifies the Means.

I do not.

Protest is a form of attempting to persuade people that your position is correct. Protest is not what we see outside abortion clinics. What we see is the threat of violence to intimidate women. The purpose is to make them too afraid to do something that is perfectly legal, and that you have not bothered to convince them is immoral.

No, that isn't nice. Not by any definition. And if you support that, I guess you wouldn't have any problem with bombings or shootings either. After all, it's their fault for making you angry. What's the difference?

This is scary.

gotta go practice
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by TimR:
[QB] [QUOTE]Originally posted by ivorythumper:
[qb] Ah. I get it. You believe the End justifies the Means.

I do not.

Protest is a form of attempting to persuade people that your position is correct. Protest is not what we see outside abortion clinics. What we see is the threat of violence to intimidate women. The purpose is to make them too afraid to do something that is perfectly legal, and that you have not bothered to convince them is immoral.

No, that isn't nice. Not by any definition. And if you support that, I guess you wouldn't have any problem with bombings or shootings either. After all, it's their fault for making you angry. What's the difference?

This is scary.
Tim:

Did I say any of the above? No.
Did I say I supported it? No.

Do I understand the anger of people who see others murdered by a billion dollar abortion while the government not only stands by, but actively rounded up protesters and prosecuted and jailed them under the RICO Act? Yes.

If you are incapable of understanding the differences between what you attribute and what I wrote, you are incapable of holding forth in a mutually respectful and stimulating conversation about a very important social and political problem that faces all of us.

Are you, or are you not, able to tell the difference between what I wrote and what you read into what I wrote?

As for the notion that "The Ends Justify the Means"-- I challenge you to go read Dr. Bernard Nathanson's Aborting America . Nathanson was the founder of NARAL, and instrumental in "selling" abortion to the American public through a strategic disinformation campaign and made up "polls" showing how American's favored abortion. All this to gain acceptance for an industry that profits from human sorrow and takes billions of dollars of blood money while knowingly killing human beings in the womb.

Estonically yours,

Ivorythumper

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
it: "All that needs to be shown -- which science does -- is that this "human genetic material" is a human being, of a separate identity and substance than the mother."

There you go again with non-scientific terms like "substance". And a 3 day-old conceptus does not have an "identity". Really now.

You need to argue, not just assume, that a potential person has the same moral rights as an actual person. You do not even try to argue this.

Our qualities of desire, self-awareness, capacity for interpersonal relations, feelings and so forth are what define moral personhood. (At any rate, you have given no alternative definition.) You simply assume that moral personhood is co-extensive with having certain genetic material. The cloning thought-experiment shows that this is not true, among other arguments. This is exactly what you need to argue, and not ignore your argumentative burden by tendentious definition.

Go ahead: prove that a potential person should have equal or greater rights than an actual person (the mother). Except for quasi-Aritotelean gobbledegook, you haven't even tried.

What we are seeing outside abortion clinics are nice people offering to do free sonograms for prospective mothers.

What's wrong with that?

smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ivorythumper:
Amazing stuff.
National Geographic

Watch the VIdeo

Tell me that's not a human being.
You wont hear me say that.

Abortion is murder, and I think it will be very interesting when we look back upon this time and see the holocaust of humans that was once legal.

PS. Roe AND Wade are both strongly against abortion now.

-The 89th Key [Linked Image]

[Linked Image] www.thecollegecritic.com [Linked Image]
--- Integrity | Loyalty | Simplicity ---
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
it: "All that needs to be shown -- which science does -- is that this "human genetic material" is a human being, of a separate identity and substance than the mother."

There you go again with non-scientific terms like "substance". And a 3 day-old conceptus does not have an "identity". Really now.

You need to argue, not just assume, that a potential person has the same moral rights as an actual person. You do not even try to argue this.

Our qualities of desire, self-awareness, capacity for interpersonal relations, feelings and so forth are what define moral personhood. (At any rate, you have given no alternative definition.) You simply assume that moral personhood is co-extensive with having certain genetic material. The cloning thought-experiment shows that this is not true, among other arguments. This is exactly what you need to argue, and not ignore your argumentative burden by tendentious definition.

Go ahead: prove that a potential person should have equal or greater rights than an actual person (the mother). Except for quasi-Aritotelean gobbledegook, you haven't even tried.
Jeffrey:

I use substance in the sense of a physical material from which something is made -- as such has discrete existence. It certainly has "identity" or it would not be indentifiable. Both these terms are common parlance. Your linguistic cunningness might have worked on the undergrad students you taught, but it holds no sway with me.

I don't have to argue for moral personhood, we are talking about human beings. Even if we grant that personhood is a developmental process, at each stage of the development -- from zygote to adulthood -- the material is a human being. The fact that you cannot acknowledge this is the first instance I have ever encoutered of what is classically termed "invincible ignorance". Now I have a paradigm for that, and his name is Jeff. eek

I simply don't accept your grounds that moral personhood can be equated with rights -- in fact it is really only equated with responsibility. All human beings ought to have the same rights. Your refusal to acknowledge that the foetus is a human being does not change that fact.

It occurs to me that you are arguing an abstract idea -- of moral personhood. I am arguing a concrete thing -- a human being. This is why you and the proborts will never win -- ideologies and ideologues in the end never triumph over reality.

Estonically yours,

Ivorythumper

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Our qualities of desire, self-awareness, capacity for interpersonal relations, feelings and so forth are what define moral personhood. (
So much for your arbitrary definition of personhood. Others can create other definitions and do so quite easily. Why not genetic over emotional? Maybe cognitive is better than them both--Jeffery you are setting hoops on fire and expecting other to jump through them.

What we need to consider is what constitutes human life in it's broadest scope. And why not? What have we to loose? Anyone can define someone else out of humanity. All it takes it a bit of power.

Inclusive not exclusive might be the most prudent way.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
it: "the material is a human being."

False, it is a potential "human being" (if you mean that phrase to imply a certain moral status). You are so blinded by your own doctrine, that you don't even seem to be able to read what is typed. You and 89 should get along well together.

There may be just no real definition for "potential."

It isn't a "nothing" and it isn't an "is".

It's "Limbo."

smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Mercutio:
It's "Limbo."
Every time I do the limbo, I fall flat on my glutei maximi.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. - Clemens
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The problem obviously is when the "being" can be called a human.

The child will NOT survive before and after labor (for at least a few years) if left completely alone...so why are pro-abortionists so scared to protect life at any stage? So that the life of the mother and father can be "easier"?

It seems common sense to protect the life of the "human" from conception until they can walk, eat, etc. on their own. No matter what the situation, murder (killing) is the WORST thing that can happen to someone on this earth as it is the most extreme and final action that can ever be applied in our mortal paradigm. I think everyone can agree on that.

Why chance murder when you can almost always avoid it. I say almost because I am firmly against abortion NO MATTER WHAT*.

*Except and ONLY except when at least 9 out of 10 doctors officially sign off saying the mother has a good chance of dying during labor...only then do I think abortion should be a remote option.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
it: "the material is a human being."

False, it is a potential "human being" (if you mean that phrase to imply a certain moral status). You are so blinded by your own doctrine, that you don't even seem to be able to read what is typed. You and 89 should get along well together.
Simply your declaring it to be "potential" does not make it so. What else possibly can a human zygote/morula/blastocyst/foetus continue to develop into other than a born baby? Clearly it has individual being, clearly its nature is human.

Human being is not a moral category -- but nevertheless it is YOU who are refusing to acknowledge the preborn as an integral part of the human condition with the ideological belief that by refusing to acknowledge this thereby removes the moral problem of killing the innocent.

I suspect it is not invincible ignorance but entirely vincible obstinacy on your part. It took Nathanson a long time to come to terms with his participation in the murder of tens of millions, and I suspect it will for you as well.

Estonically yours,

Ivorythumper

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by The 89th Key:

*Except and ONLY except when at least 9 out of 10 doctors officially sign off saying the mother has a good chance of dying during labor...only then do I think abortion should be a remote option.
Ectopic pregnancies are another instance where it is permissible to remove the conceptus in order to save the mother's life, even if the baby dies. The rare instance you describe is perhaps handled through a C-Section, depending on the vitality of the mother.

Estonically yours,

Ivorythumper

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I agree...there are many options before resorting to abortion. Murder should always be a last resort, if at all.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Merc: "Jeffery you are setting hoops on fire and expecting other to jump through them.

What we need to consider is what constitutes human life in it's broadest scope. And why not? What have we to loose? Anyone can define someone else out of humanity. All it takes it a bit of power."

Why stop there? Why not declare that *all* life, human or not, is valuble and deserving of our moral consideration? I believe this is the Buddhist view. All sentient life is sacred. Are you or ivory vegetarians??

On what basis do you arbitrarily regard all human genetic material, regardless of consciousness etc., to be worthy of absolute moral value, and not other sentient or even animate life forms?

I suspect that the reason is that you and ivory think the human fetus has a soul from conception (regardless of how absurd that premise becomes). But now Ivory is backing away from that claim, and trying to stick to the scientific and logical facts, and on those grounds his preference for genetic human "life" and only genetic human life over all others can't be defended.

In short, he and you need some basis for distinguishing what DNA in tne universe has moral value and what does not. I put forward a rough view of moral personhood. Ivory has just stated over and over again that any human DNA has total value, but failed to explain why. Why not extend absolute moral value to all other animate life forms, as the Buddhists do? (Again, without making sectarian religious assumptions about a soul.)

No, you and ivory are going to have to jump through a few philosophical hoops to defend your view.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Jeffboy:

It is somewhat surrealistic having a conversation with someone who dismisses my arguments as Aristotelian gobbledegook, and then abuses metaphysical terms such as potentia to explain away the destruction of the human life.

The obvious parallel does occur to me than anyone who would allow such violence to be done to a human being probably has no problem doing violence to language, reason, or philosophy.

Estonically yours,

Ivorythumper

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
[QB] I suspect that the reason is that you and ivory think the human fetus has a soul from conception (regardless of how absurd that premise becomes). But now Ivory is backing away from that claim, and trying to stick to the scientific and logical facts, and on those grounds his preference for genetic human "life" and only genetic human life over all others can't be defended.
I do hold that the human foetus -- in fact the zygote -- has its own principle of animation and it own unique form, thus what is conventionally called soul. I have not backed away from this argument at all -- I am simply realizing that you are obstinate in refusing to discuss the question in these terms so there is no point pursuing it further with you.

Ivory has just stated over and over again that any human DNA has total value, but failed to explain why.
I NEVER have stated that -- in fact the addressing of toe nail clipping and liposuction show quite the opposite. But your ideology must make straw men out of the other's arguments.

No hoops to jump through for us Jeffboy -- you're the one who has to do the danse macabre to justify the killing of innocent human life insatiably fed into the Magog of the billion dollar abortion industry.

Estonically yours,

Ivorythumper

Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission