2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,596 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Bernard Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by apple:
why don't you come to my party and bring a bottle yourself. October 30 = Brendan is running through his competition program. and I am hoping Jbryan just might show up with the 20/20.
HEY!!! Have FUN tomorrow! Oi, if I wasn't so shy of airplanes (how else to put it?), and if not for responsibilities, I'd be on a flight out to join you all.

apple, good luck on your party, I'm sure it'll be a success.

Brendan, good luck with the competition. thumb

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
Bernard Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Matt G.:
Thought some of you might like to see this. I suppose it might be considered 'preaching to the choir,' but it's nice to know anyway!

More good news about red wine

Sorry, Gryphon.... frown
One can never have enough good news about red wine. wink

I Just had a couple glasses of house red at "The Monster" bar in the village. I neglected to ask what it was, but it was pretty good. Now I'm home and I'm having a glass of Woodbridge Merlot by Robert Mondavi, 2002. Pretty OK too.

Bernard Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Matt G.:
And now for something completely different....

It's.....

a 2002 Abbot's Table from Owen Roe in Oregon. It is a proprietary dry red made from (at least the 2002 batch): 41% Zinfandel, 22% Syrah, 20% Merlot, 12% Cabernet Franc, 4% Pinot Noir and 1% Cabernet Sauvignon.
Not to sound base or crude but that sounds like a right mutt! wink I bet it's good, though. smile

Bernard Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Matt G..

I cannot read one post of yours that does not make my mouth water. Are you employed by "Food and Wine"?

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
On Matt's recommendation I'm going to look for the Malbec he mentioned earlier. Enticing.

I brought home a Portuguese Douro Riserva 1999 tonight. It's drinking pretty thin. For 7 bucks they can't all be great!

Let me put in a brief word for the Italian Primitivo. (Or has someone already?) Wine from Puglia made from the Zinfandel grape or an ancestor. Nice berry flavor, good body, good structure..."A Mano" is one label for around 10 bucks. Certainly less expensive than many Italians.

This evening I have a dinner party. The wine I've chosen is a '85 Chevalier-Montrachet.

It promises well!

Je lieber moecht'ich in Himmel sein!
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Bernard:
Not to sound base or crude but that sounds like a right mutt!
It certainly does! But that brings up a very interesting tidbit that some of you may find useful: the real difference between varietals and blends.

Every year, the whims of nature conspire to affect each crop of grapes diffently. This is what makes vintages crucial when selecting a varietal wine. Maybe 1998 was a spectacular year for Merlot in Chile, or 1986 a lousy year for Nebbiolo in Italy (these are just random examples, people!). If you can keep track of all that, you'll be better prepared to pick out a good bottle.

On the other hand, many winemakers like to make a blended wine with a goal of consistency in taste, color, etc. from year to year. When the grapes are all from the same vintage, often a winemaker will modify the contents of the blend to achieve a very close approximation to the previous years' offerings. Sometimes they will even blend different vintages to achieve consistency. These will be sold without a year being specified on the label. These non-vintage blends are often amazingly consistent year in and year out. The French champagne houses are famous for this.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. - Clemens
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
To help celebrate today's Presidential election, we opened a lovely bottle of wine from the good old U of SA! (Ha! :p That's not a typo!) That's right, a delicious 2001 Wildekrans Pinotage from Walker Bay in the (wait for it...) Union of South Africa.

Pinotage is grown almost exclusively in South Africa, where it was developed as a cross between the Pinot Noir and Cinsault (also known in some places as Hermitage), hence its name. It produces a wine that is more full-bodied than Pinot Noir, but not as rough around the edges as Cinsault (which is almost never used by itself to make wine).

Pinotage, and this bottle is no exception, suffers from having "bad nose" -- an often tarry and musky smell that is disconcerting to many. The actual taste, however, is nothing like its aroma. The tastes run from black cherry and vanilla to a discernible black licorice taste near the finish. The tannins are moderate and short-lived.

This is a hearty, broad-shouldered wine that can easily accompany grilled chops, sausages and even steaks. This wine has a strange ability to cut through the fattiness of some meats, so it allows you to enjoy the flavor of the meat by cleansing the palate of fatty residue. (I know, hardly a rousing recommendation!)

Pinotage wines from South Africa are relatively inexpensive. This bottle goes for about $12.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Dancing Bull Zinfandel.

jf

"Make the pie higher." GWB
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Jack,

From all your "Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!"'s, I would have thought you were drinking something more fortified than wine! laugh

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Okay, here's a question that has to be asked.

Anyone ever listen to Whad\'Ya Know? The wine they give away is Wollersheim which I have heard is swill. Anyone ever drink this? confused

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Marquis Phillips Shiraz

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by gryphon:
Okay, here's a question that has to be asked.

Anyone ever listen to Whad\'Ya Know? The wine they give away is Wollersheim which I have heard is swill. Anyone ever drink this? confused
Good grief, the questions on that show are too easy. But, I, for one, say, "Never dismiss regional wines just because they're regional wines." OK, so Prairie du Sac, Wisconsin isn't exactly the Mecca of the winemaking world. So what! I've never tried their wines, but just might, now that I know about them.

The Midwest isn't really such a horrible place for vineyards. In fact, before Prohibition, much of US wine production was centered in the Midwest and nearby, with Missouri and Arkansas (yes, Arkansas!) among the leading producers. Was it all plonk? Could be, who knows. What we do know is that Prohibition killed them all, and only a small number of winemakers producing sacramental wines even made it through the 1920's and 30's.

So, what I'm getting at here is that there's a sort of resurgence of regional wines in the US. Maybe it will turn out that there really IS a better place to grow wine grapes than California, or maybe not. Regional winemaking is still in its infancy; I like to give the kids the benefit of the doubt!

Interesting observations on the show, Matt. laugh Still doesn't answer my question, but I suspect no one here has partaken of that particular fine fruit of the vine.

As for the midwest, Michigan is supposed to be decent. Southern, maybe (Pau Pau, and I'm being generous). But some people think the Leelanau Peninsula is great. Not by anything I've had from there. Bah! That is swill, I tell you.

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Last night, our second bottle of Kim Crawford Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. Quickly becoming a favorite. With bluefish poached in a less expensive SB, with a yogurt dill sauce.

Tonight, Seghesio Zinfandel 2003.

jf

"Make the pie higher." GWB
Bernard Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Myself, Kenny, and BeeLady have just finished off a bottle of Casa Lapostolle, Rapel Valley, 2003 while pondering the multi facets of Piano World.

A sincere toast to Frank Baxter!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
AHhhhhh.... enjoy!! wink

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Awwwww! I'm jealous. What could be better than wonderful people with sublime wine, or should that be - - sublime people with wonderfuly wine?

Terry, do you think Fredericks will let us crack a bottle of bubbly during the tour? :p

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Bernard:
...while pondering the multi facets of Piano World.

Ooh, ooh, ooh, are our ears burning?

laugh Jodi

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
In honor of Jo------'s birthday today, I opened something I picked up at the wine tasting monstrosity event the weekend before last. This is certain to become one of my favorite "everyday" wines, but production is still rather limited from this upstart winery.

The bottle in question is a 2003 Turner Road Cabernet Sauvignon from Paso Robles, California. You may know of Paso Robles as the home to some of California's best-kept secrets in winemaking, and this little beauty is no exception in terms of its quality.

A deep ruby red color, this wine hits you first with scents of roses, plum and raspberry. On the tongue, the taste is fresh red cherry and raspberry, slowly fading to a hint of spice and herbal notes. The mild tannins still make their presence known, the oak is kept to a low simmer, and the finish is rather long and tasty with no trace of bitterness or woodiness so common in run-of-the-mill cabernets. Also absent is that cloying buttery taste so prevalent in lesser-quality wines trying to mask inferior fruit.

This is the kind of red wine that I think most everyone would enjoy, even folks who think dry red wines are too astringent. Since it's on the lighter side of Cabernet, I would be reluctant to pair it with grilled steaks, but it would work just fine with other beef, lamb and pork dishes, as well as being a great accompaniment for pasta dishes with tomato sauce or basil pesto. I highly recommend this wine, and at about $10 retail, it's bound to become more popular. Oh, and here's a toast to Mr. We------'s 54th!

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission