2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, 3 invisible), 1,334 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
never mind

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
So, tonight, to accompany a roast pork loin in a sort of Eastern European tradition, I decided to pop open an Eastern European wine! (Ooh, how shocking!)

Anyways, I had recently picked up a bottle of wine from Szőlőskert, in Nagyréde, Hungary. This bottle is a 2002 vintage made from Kéfrankos (aka Blaufrankisch in Austria) and Cabernet Sauvignon. This is a "semi-sweet" wine, not as sweet as a dessert wine (like Muscat), but not a dry wine by any stretch.

Surprisingly, this made a nice foil for the savory flavors of the pork roast, where the sweetness of the wine helped cleanse the palate between bites of the roast pork. I have never really considered semi-sweet wines as enjoyable stand-alone wines, but I may need to rethink some of my preconceptions when pairing a semi-sweet with food.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. - Clemens
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Also tonight, to accompany the appetizer (herbed goat cheese and garlic crostini), I selected a 2002 Charles Back Goat-Roti from the Cape province of South Africa. Goat-Roti (a play on the famous French appellation Côte-Roti) is a proprietary blend of Shiraz, Viognier, and Mourvèdre grapes. This is actually one of my favorite dry reds from South Africa, and it was an absolutely perfect match for the goat cheese and savory toasts.

Because of its high percentage of Shiraz, this wine is also really, REALLY good with grilled steaks. The style of wine that Charles Back produces is somewhat of a cross between the Australian Shirazes and the California Syrahs. The Viognier (which is usually used to produce a white wine) and the Mourvèdre (which makes a uniquely spectacular dry red on its own) add to the total product's equation in such a way that no Australian or California winemakers even come close to approaching.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Starting to drink more wine lately (well I drank both wine and beer on my latest trip to Europe). Found ALAMOS 2002 Malbec from Argentina to be quite nice. So nice in fact that I’ll probably try all their releases by and by. So nice to find an as close as one pleases to Bordeaux without the Bordeaux prices.

Now as for beer, the best I've maybe ever had was in Zurich but you can't get Swiss beer here, forget it.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Tonight's Pick: a 2001 Kaesler Stonehorse from Australia's Barossa valley. An interesting blend of Grenache, Shiraz and Mourvèdre, this dry red wine has a nice balance of tannins and acidity, and aims straight at the classic French Rhône style. The spiciness of the Grenache is offset by the fruitiness of the Shiraz, while the Mourvèdre gives the whole a warm, mellow background. The aroma is decidedly spicy, with pepper and clove predominating. A hearty red wine to serve with both roasted meats and classic Provençal and Lyonnais cuisines. Brilliant execution at a moderate ($12) price. Look for it!

P.S. - David, I think the Argentine Malbecs are some of the best eminently drinkable red wine values out there. I normally keep a stock of Bodega Norton Malbec (usually sells for about $7 a bottle) on hand, both as an everyday wine and as a phonemenal wine to serve at parties.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Tonight year 2000 Montecillo Rioja, at half the cost of comparable labels, with a spicy beer poached chicken. Great value. I will buy this again and againn at $7 a bottle.

jf

"Make the pie higher." GWB
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Jack, I have three bottles of Montecillo's 1995 Gran Reserva Rioja in the "cellar" waiting for a special occasion. One of the finest Riojas on the planet, AFAIC. Montecillo is a class outfit in Rioja production.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Yes, the Montecillo's a great deal. The Gran Riserva is probably somewhat to a lot more expensive than the regular bottlings, eh?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Tonight, Penfolds Rawson's Retreat Shiraz Cabernet.

While one who sings with his tongue on fire
Gargles in the rat race choir
Bent out of shape from society's pliers
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole
That he's in.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
The Gran Riserva is probably somewhat to a lot more expensive than the regular bottlings, eh?
Oddly, maybe not as much as one might expect. The 1995 Gran Reserva goes for about $19.50, which puts it in my middle bracket. (My upper bracket starts about $30. I really need to like it to spend over $30 on it!) I'm saving a few bottles not because it's really expensive, it's just that it will be impossible to replace once it's been drunk.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I'm saving a few bottles not because it's really expensive, it's just that it will be impossible to replace once it's been drunk.

That is the beauty of Mad Dog 20/20.

Better to light one small candle than to curse the %&#$@#! darkness. :t:
Bernard Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
The spiciness of the Grenache is offset by the fruitiness of the Shiraz, while the Mourvèdre gives the whole a warm, mellow background. The aroma is decidedly spicy, with pepper and clove predominating.
Boy, does that sound good. Putting it on my list.

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
And now for something completely different....

It's.....

a 2002 Abbot's Table from Owen Roe in Oregon. It is a proprietary dry red made from (at least the 2002 batch): 41% Zinfandel, 22% Syrah, 20% Merlot, 12% Cabernet Franc, 4% Pinot Noir and 1% Cabernet Sauvignon. At least that's what I can find. The grapes are sourced from small vineyards in Washington and Oregon.

This wine is a paean to the old-fashioned clarets from Bordeaux, at least in spirit. The blend is certainly not anything one would get from Bordeaux! But this wine's body, color, taste and a very, very long finish are reminiscent of a high quality, top level Bordeaux. At about $23 per bottle, this is an amazingly rich and complex wine from an unlikely place.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thumbs down for me on the Penfolds Cabernet/shiraz. A little too oaky for my liking. If you love shiraz, try the Mad Fish from Western Australia.

While one who sings with his tongue on fire
Gargles in the rat race choir
Bent out of shape from society's pliers
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole
That he's in.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thought some of you might like to see this. I suppose it might be considered 'preaching to the choir,' but it's nice to know anyway!

More good news about red wine

Sorry, Gryphon.... frown

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by johnmoonlight:
Thumbs down for me on the Penfolds Cabernet/shiraz.
John, I think the Penfolds Koonunga Hill Cabernet/Shiraz is a much higher-quality wine than the Rawson's Retreat, and it usually only goes for about $1.50-2.00 more per bottle. It's a great everyday wine for enophiles!

Originally posted by JBryan:
[b]I'm saving a few bottles not because it's really expensive, it's just that it will be impossible to replace once it's been drunk.

That is the beauty of Mad Dog 20/20. [/b]
Feel free to bring a bottle

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by apple:
Originally posted by JBryan:
[b] [b]I'm saving a few bottles not because it's really expensive, it's just that it will be impossible to replace once it's been drunk.

That is the beauty of Mad Dog 20/20. [/b]
Feel free to bring a bottle [/b]
Why? You need some drains cleaned? wink

why don't you come to my party and bring a bottle yourself. October 30 = Brendan is running through his competition program. and I am hoping Jbryan just might show up with the 20/20.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Apple, as much as I'd enjoy the trip to KC right about now, tomorrow is already booked with the mega wine tasting! They've now upped the count to 920 wines! eek

So, as I sit here perusing the listing of what will be available tomorrow (while simultaneously ignoring the pointless acrimony of the political partisanship here in the CR wink ), I am enjoying the remainder of a 2002 Cousiño-Macul "Finis Terrae" from Chile's Maipo Valley. Finis Terrae is a blend of 45% Merlot and 55% Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. This is a dense wine with very firm tannins, medium acidity and a balanced bundle of flavors ranging from blackberry and cranberry notes at first, followed by a sort of vanilla-like middle with evident mineral taste, with a definite bitter chocolate finish. This wine would be perfect for lamb chops or rack of lamb, and a wide variety of tomato-based sauces. This bottle is a bargain at its usual price, about $18.

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission