2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 11 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
With all due respect, JB, you too are full of ****. whome

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
merde?

Better to light one small candle than to curse the %&#$@#! darkness. :t:
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
There's a Georgian semi sweet red I like: Kindzmarauli. Similiar to a Shiraz.

"The older the fiddle, the sweeter the music"~ Augustus McCrae
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
My favorite Georgian is definitely Saperavi. It's very similar in a lot of ways to Greek wines made from Agiorgitikos. Saperavi is usually bone-dry with medium to light tannins, somewhat low acidity and has little fragrance. It pairs really well with Mediterranean cuisines.

I'm still surprised that Georgian wines haven't made more of an impact in North America.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. - Clemens
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
So, tonight's selection was a 2003 Med Red blend from Cosentino of Lodi, California. This wine is a supposed "Mediterranean" blend of Tempranillo, Dolcetto, Charbono, Carignane and Valdiquie grapes. This is an intensely fruity wine, and upon first taste, my thought was "It's a box of raisins, isn't it?" I think the Tempranillo gives it a substantial body, but it's the Charbono (one of my absolute favorites!) that really makes this wine a joy on the palate.

We had it as an accompaniment to a simple dish of pasta with meat sauce, and it was an absolutely perfect match. The almost imperceptible sweetness of the Dolcetto component made a perfect foil to the spiciness of the Italian sausage in the meat sauce, while the Carignane was a great match for the tomatoes. This wine has an almost zinfandel-like quality to it in its lusciousness, low acidity and smoothness. I rate it quite highly!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am most embarrassed in posting after Matt G's incredibly connoisseur-esque reply, that I am currently drinking a 40 of malt liquor which shall remain unnamed ;-)

"He who turns himself into a beast, gets rid of the pain of being a man."
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Matt, you are something else....

We had a mediocre Pinot Noir from Oregon: Duck Pond. With steak, the wine was mismatched, but it was the only red in the house.

jf

"Make the pie higher." GWB
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
If it's Colt 45, you're fine! wink

I don't take myself all that seriously, and if anyone thinks I'm starting to sound just the least bit snobbish or elitist in my wine descriptions, please slap me.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Jack, Pinot Noir is too wimpy for steaks. Pinot Noir goes best with chicken and veal. I will forgive you this trespass, but promise me you'll have something heftier on hand next time you get the urge for grilled red meat!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
No no, lol it's a pleasure reading your expert wine critic-like descriptions for me. But yes actually it is Colt 45. LOL how did you know hehe.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Matt G.:
Jack, Pinot Noir is too wimpy for steaks. Pinot Noir goes best with chicken and veal. I will forgive you this trespass, but promise me you'll have something heftier on hand next time you get the urge for grilled red meat!
Matt, I said it was mismatched. It was that or a trip out...it was all we had and unplanned. Forgive us this time our father.....

jf

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Go forth and sin no more...

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
yes dad...

jf

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Mad Dog 20/20 here. Thursday, October 14th the vintage. Good nose with hints of ALCOHOL and embalming fluid. The palette is somewhat dry with notes of either naptha or napalm (I am struggling a bit here after tasting more than spitting).

Tomorrow, an impetuous little number called Wild Irish Rose.

Better to light one small candle than to curse the %&#$@#! darkness. :t:
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ahahahahahaha.....now that's what I'm talking about!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Umm, yeah, SURE, JB, you strike me as the MD20/20 kind of guy. :rolleyes: I mean, shoot, you've got internet access, you can string together more than three words without uttering "DAMN!" or "MOTHER****ER" in the middle. You're probably really snarking down some really great wine right now, but you're just being too selfish to share!

And don't be making fun of "Richard's" Wild Irish Rose. If it weren't for that and T.J. Swann, I'd never have made it through my ******** year of college! (Edited to prevent underclassmen from thinking that drinking wine [or wine-substitutes] was my way of coping!)

Dan Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ok, so Matt here's a question for you.

I'm not much of a wine drinker, but during my visits to the in-laws in Germany I found a wine I really like. Here's the "specs" so far as I know them.

Grauer Bergunder, Trocken

I know that Grauer Bergunder translates as Grey Burgundy and that Trocken means dry. Another really good wine I found over there is a Wisen Bergunder. (I'm sure I mis-spelled Wisen, but anyway this is a White Burgundy.)

I understand from my father-in-law that these wines are made from red grapes (burgundy I presume) that are processed in such a manner that the color from the grape's skin does not make it into a red wine. I don't know anything else about how it's made.

My question is this: Once I've polished off the bottles I brought home, what do I want to get here in the states that's going to be roughly equivalent? I did some small experimentation, and found that I like the Pinot Grigio and the Pinot Gris, but I can't tell if these are equivalent or simply another type of wine I discovered that I also like.

Anyway, your comments (or anyone else's) would be appreciated.

Dan

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
First off, Grauer Burgunder (or Grauburgunder) is just the German name for Pinot Gris, and Weißen Burgunder is the German name for Pinot Blanc. Pinot Blanc is really just a variant of Pinot Gris that is slightly lighter in color. Don't let the term "White Burgundy" confuse you, either. White wines from the Burgundy region of France are produced from the Chardonnay grape.

If you're interested in replicating these wines (German wine names can be maddeningly difficult), you might want to try some Alsatian (French)-style Pinot Gris. Yes, this is really the same thing as the Italian Pinot Grigio, but the process for making wine from the grapes is different; the Alsatian style is considerably drier (trocken!).

While it is possible to make white wines from red (or darker) grapes, it is impractical under most circumstances. Dark-colored grapes with thick skins submit best to this kind of processing, which explains the existence of "white zinfandel" and "white merlot". None of these wines, however, is truly white like the wines made from white grapes; there is always still a stain from the grape skins in the wine -- the grapes have to be crushed to release the juice, and the flowing juice picks up some of the pigmentation from the darker skins. (All grape juice, regardless of variety, is in and of itself white.)

I hope that makes sense to you!

Dan Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for the info Matt. I'll try some of the Alsatian-style Pinot Gris for my next stateside purchase.

Dan

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Oh, one other thing, Dan. If you like these dry whites, you might also want to try the Austrian wines made from the Gr­üner Veltliner grape. It's similar in many ways to the Pinot Gris, but has an interesting herbal taste to it.

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission