2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (APianistHasNoName, Bruce Sato, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Hilda Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Hi, again, guys!

You were all so very helpful the other day in your advice about my decisions on buying a grand piano.....I have purchased Mr. Fine's book and my daughter and I plan to do some reading (and more piano testing) this weekend. In the meantime, I have a new question along this same line.

According to the Steinway/Boston piano rep here, the GP163 (5 foot 4) is as good a piano as the Yamaha C2 (5 foot 8) in terms of the sound board. Their reasoning is that the strings in the Boston soundboard are longer than in conventional 5 foot 4 pianos and thus similar to the strings in the 5 foot 8 Yahama. Is that true?

Also, the price they are asking for the Boston GP163 with the PianoDisc is 18,000 versus the Yahama C2 with the Disklavier which is 19,300. Are these prices reasonable? Is one deal much better than the other?

I really do appreciate your helping us rookies....thanks in advance!

Best,
Hilda (and Hanna)

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yikes! I can't speak for the technical aspects (though I suspect it's sales hogwash) but for this kind of money you could get a 6'3" Estonia or a Petrof (I think), both of which I LIKE (and in the end it only matters what YOU like) better than the Boston or the small Yamaha. And if space is a consideration (I'm sorry, I can't recall), be sure to check out the 5'6" Estonia. It's lovely sounding.

penny
no affiliation with any piano dealer, just a recent piano shopper

For that kind of money, i agree with penny in that there's better out there. Neither the Boston or the C2 Yamaha impressed me very much. The C3, however is a sweet piano. In the class you are looking at, try a Kawai. The RX2 is in that league in terms of price and size, but I liked it's tone better than the other two. I've not tried the Estonia or the Petrov Penny suggested, but if you got a dealer nearby, they are certainly worth a look. Good luck and happy hunting.

jamie

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
I agree with Penny here. BTW, she is not just a shopper, Penny incorporated piano shopping into her career (writer) and spent more time shopping for a piano than most spend shopping for houses.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham piano Co.
(800) 394-1117

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Rich!
Is this really your first post here?

But here's the funny part. I bought the first house I saw!

laugh

penny

T
T
While I respect that everyone has there own opinion on this matter I would like to add some information that may be helpful for other people who are viewing this forum. First of all, it is true that Bostons are designed to make a sound 4 inches louder than other brands of pianos made at the same size. Therefore, what the piano dealer was telling you might have held some water. Also, while I agree that it is important to have a piano that you personally like, I would not agree that it is the only thing that matters. The idea is, you want to find a piano that you like and that will have the best long term value to you. One advantage of the Boston is that it is designed so that the action will allow you to attain the control that professional classical players seek. Let's face it, classical players play Steinways. The Boston, was designed for people who can't quite afford the entirely handmade Steinways, but want to become quality players. The Yamaha is also good because the parts are made well and it was made for the North American Climate. I can not endorse the Estonia because maintenance is nearly impossible and they fall apart and do not retain value. As for the Petrof, it's a little better but, only if you are looking for nice looking furniture. The sound quality and action is not going to be what you are looking for, and also it does not retain value as well as the Steinway and Yamaha. Anyway, those prices are reasonable for the models you are referring to. Hope this helps.

AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hello! This thread is from prehistoric times when Rich was but a lad and I was not even born yet. Get with the rythmn....

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sales presentation you received on the Boston re. design characteristics and string length is BS. The model Boston you are comparing matches up with the Yamaha model C1. The reason the salesman is comparing the Yamaha C2 is that the Boston is inherantly overpriced due to the S&S middleman connection. Yamaha C2 is simply a bigger piano period.

Prices you got on the Boston with PianoDisc is suspiciously low. Is this a quote on a new piano? Price you show on the C2 with disklavier at $19,300 is I believe below the wholesale cost, certainly thousands below Yamaha minimum selling price. Is this for a new C2 with a disklavier Mark IV system? Something is wrong with this picture.

Piano Technician, member Piano Technicians Guild.
B
B
The price quoted for the Yamaha and Boston seems in line considering they come with the player system installed. As far a the Steinway being made entirely by hand, I don't think any piano now days in made entirely by hand, nor would you want a piano entirely by hand. CNC machines do a lot of the work in making pianos, that makes sure the parts are consistent. Estonia pianos get rave reviews on this forum and I am sure they don't fall apart any sooner that any other quality made piano. Many people seen to think that Bostons pianos are overpriced because of there conection to Steinway. Petrofs are also very nice and some even have the new magnetic action, they play and sound very nice and are more than just nice pieces of furniture! Just play as many different pianos in your price range as possible, and pick the one that sounds and feels the best for you.

ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Perhaps AJB's sense of humor is too subtle.

This is a 5 year old thread that has been inadvertently revived.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
techpiano,

Thank you for that hilarious satire. You sound just like one of those newbies who thinks we're a bunch of uneducated fools. LOL!

D
D
Don’t listen to anybody; don’t be distracted! Boston 163 is a great piano - just enjoy it. Yamaha C, Kawai RX, Boston – all these models are conservatory level good pianos, you buy what you like most. To my taste Boston is the best, I enjoy it and preferred it over Yamaha, Petrof, Vogel, etc. If I could spend more money I would consider Shigeru or Mason & Hamlin… Just control humidity in your room, make sure you maintain it 40% - 65%. Ilya (irabinovich@verizon.net)

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Ilya

I am sure the OP appreciates your input.

Her daughter is now married with 2 grown children and they are shopping for a piano for themselves.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
D
D
Thank you. BTW, who is OP?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
OP = Original Poster ~ this thread is 10 years old + was last revived 4 years ago...look at the dates in the upper right corner and then let this thread go. It's old news.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
This is a 5 year old thread that has been inadvertently revived.

Because the pianos so far discussed didn't set a sparkle to make a purchase?

Norbert

D
D
Never mind. Seems to be the participants instead supporting each other and share real information and experience try to exercise their "sense of humor" Wrong place to be...

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Furtwangler
Ilya

I am sure the OP appreciates your input.

Her daughter is now married with 2 grown children and they are shopping for a piano for themselves.

The original piano is now being rebuilt as we speak...

Mark:

Your mailbox is full....

Norbert

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dedailya
Don’t listen to anybody; don’t be distracted! Boston 163 is a great piano - just enjoy it. Yamaha C, Kawai RX, Boston – all these models are conservatory level good pianos, you buy what you like most. To my taste Boston is the best, I enjoy it and preferred it over Yamaha, Petrof, Vogel, etc. If I could spend more money I would consider Shigeru or Mason & Hamlin… Just control humidity in your room, make sure you maintain it 40% - 65%. Ilya (irabinovich@verizon.net)

Why are you replying to Hilda 9 years after the post? Btw, Yamaha C2 is a much better value and has great sound. I would prefer a Kawai RX2 or RX3 over the Boston. IMO, the Boston sounds and plays too much like a Kawai to be worth the trouble.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission