Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
60 registered members (David B, cfrederi, Beemer, Agent88, Beowulf, AZNpiano, AprilE, 13 invisible), 1,289 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
grooves worn in hammers....impacts to the sound, tone? #89257
12/09/03 01:03 PM
12/09/03 01:03 PM
TX
B
bryan_again_, Offline OP
bryan_again_,  Offline OP
B

TX
I noticed pronounced string-grooves on the hammer faces in the old family piano we inherited, which you would expect in something with this many miles on it (plus neglect).

What impact does this "groovey" hammer condition have on the overall sound or tone of the piano? Would anyone besides a skilled piano technician or seasoned musician be able to tell the difference? Just wondering if reviving the hammer faces would produce a noticeable improvement to the voicing. Thanks for any insight.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: grooves worn in hammers....impacts to the sound, tone? #89258
12/09/03 04:48 PM
12/09/03 04:48 PM
North Carolina
Ron Alexander Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ron Alexander  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
Piano hammers with grooves at the striking point are in need of voicing. Would not recommend you allow anyone but a tech with voicing experience handle the job.

Hammers with grooves of 1/16" or more are usually very bright and harsh in tone. If the hammers have never been sanded or have been sanded but still have enough felt, they can be sanded to remove the grooves, and needled to soften the felt to restore some of the original tone. You do not say how deep the grooves are, but voicing is not a job for the amateur or novice technician.
Improper sanding can destroy the shape to the hammer, and over needling can make the tone too soft or mellow.

I would give this job only to a technician that you know can do the job.

Regards,
Ron

-----------------
Ron Alexander
Piano Tuner-Technician
Re: grooves worn in hammers....impacts to the sound, tone? #89259
12/09/03 05:46 PM
12/09/03 05:46 PM
Surrey, B.C.
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Norbert  Offline

Surrey, B.C.
It's not just about "reviving the hammers" but also the integrity and condition of the whole action.

Based on a piano without serious flaws in the pinblock ,strings and/or bridges.

A good general 'reconditioning' [provided there is enough felt left on the hammers!] can be done by taking the action into a workshop and work on it a day or two.

In conjunction of a good tuning, voicing and regulation - this piano may yet outlive you!

Or me..... smile

norbert

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
Re: grooves worn in hammers....impacts to the sound, tone? #89260
12/09/03 06:10 PM
12/09/03 06:10 PM
TX
B
bryan_again_, Offline OP
B

TX
Thanks for the info. Sounds like this might be the reason (or part of it) behind the "bright and harsh tone" that I noticed.

If I asked a piano tech to do this, how will I know if I'm getting ripped off - or reasonably charged? I'm in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metro area so it's not like I'm in the boonies...but I have no familiarity with this subject.

Re: grooves worn in hammers....impacts to the sound, tone? #89261
12/09/03 07:02 PM
12/09/03 07:02 PM
Jacksonville, Florida
J
Jim Volk Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jim Volk  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

Jacksonville, Florida
Bryan, there are techs here in north Florida who would do the job for $75, and some who would ask three times that amount. Normally it depends on the age and experience of the tech, but that doesn't mean an older technician will always do a better job than a younger one. Some well-trained, younger techs can be skilled enough to do the job right, but will take less due to their status.

Recommendations from satisfied customers are the best prerequisite, so I'd ask around for a referral rather than just hit the Yellow Pages.

BTW, another problem caused by deeply grooved hammers is that they no longer do the job of striking the string: deep grooves cause the hammer felt to briefly contact about half of the string's circumference before the striking surface makes contact, and then continue to briefly envelop much of the string as the hammer starts to make its rebound.

This unwanted contact--the hammer is actually grabbing the string, instead of merely striking it--serves to damp the string's vibration, thereby slightly reducing its volume and degrading its sonority.

Another good reason to get'em fixed! wink

-Jimbo

Jim Volk
PIANOVATION
Re: grooves worn in hammers....impacts to the sound, tone? #89262
12/09/03 10:47 PM
12/09/03 10:47 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
You didn't say whether this was an upright or a grand. Either way, when the hammers are worn enough they need replacing, but there is more adjustment available on grands before the action is adversely affected.

Semipro Tech
Re: grooves worn in hammers....impacts to the sound, tone? #89263
12/10/03 01:15 AM
12/10/03 01:15 AM
Dallas, TX
C
ChrisKeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ChrisKeys  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C

Dallas, TX
Originally posted by bryan_again_,:
If I asked a piano tech to do this, how will I know if I'm getting ripped off - or reasonably charged? I'm in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metro area so it's not like I'm in the boonies...but I have no familiarity with this subject.
Bryan, I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area myself. Email me (check out my profile) and I'll give you a tech to contact.

Chris

Re: grooves worn in hammers....impacts to the sound, tone? #89264
12/10/03 11:59 AM
12/10/03 11:59 AM
North County San Diego CA
R
Rick Clark Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Rick Clark  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

North County San Diego CA
Bryan,

What happens is you will get an exagerration of certain harmonics and a dampening of other harmonics. If the grooves are bad, the difference in tone should be quite noticeable. A flattened off (grooved) hammer also creates more stress to the string and may exhaust them before their time, or contribute to string breakage.

Whether the piano ends up sounding overall brighter or duller depends a lot on the kind of piano (type of hammer) it is. Some get brighter, some duller.

Ideally, you would want the hammer contact point to be something like the pointy end of an egg. While needle-voicing can take down some overly bright harmonics in the short run, if the hammers are seriously grooved they really need to be reshaped (filed) to restore them. If the hammers are too far gone they may need replacing, as you can only file "so much".

Hammer reshaping is usually followed by some voicing, but the bulk of the work is in the filing.

Hammer reshaping is a job that should only be done by someone who does it a lot. There is a lot of technique involved in getting an even, effective, professional-looking job. Anything other than someone really good at it can botch the job more than you can imagine.

A good reshaping job by an experienced filer followed by voicing ought to take a few hours in a grand, but can be longer in an upright because of ergonomic issues. Also, I can easily do a grand right at the piano, but for an upright I usually prefer to take it back to my workbench where I can set it up the way I want. So you can guesstimate the typical price range for filing as approx 2X the price of tuning or more f it's an upright. More or less.

BUT, a good tech is also going to point out the need for some regulation. Even if your piano were perfectly regulated before the filing (99% chance it wasn't, though) once the hammers are filed the strike distance is changed and one needs to regulate some things to make up for it.

However more commonly the whole action has fallen behind on regulation to the same extent it has fallen behind on hammer maintenance. So you can add more hours to the workload if the regulation was bad, and you want it brought back. iI's usually a no-brainer to do in a grand, but in an upright the benefit is sometimes not so cut-and-dried.

Regards,

Rick Clark

Rick Clark

Piano tuner-technician
Re: grooves worn in hammers....impacts to the sound, tone? #89265
12/10/03 12:14 PM
12/10/03 12:14 PM
Colorado
M
Manitou Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Manitou  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Colorado
Jimbo, Mr. Clark...

Well said.

Jimbo explains how deeply grooved hammers begin to act much like wedge dampers: the sides brushing against the strings before and after contact, actually dampening the sound some. Players will then typically play harder to affect more sound (catch-22) now you are wearing hammers faster.

Mr. Clark suggest correctly that worn, grooved hammers are most often a visible symptom of the larger issues (mainly, overall action needs). And yes, taking off a couple layers of felt will change let-off (although it was probably already out of adjustment)... plus if you don't change let-off, you won't be able to bring hammers to strings to check hammer squarring: which means other adjustments should follow...

(not adding the valid info given by others)

It does take much doing, and experience to do a good job. Takes me around 4 hours to do a grand: level strings, align hammers, reshape hammers, Iron hammers, square hammers to strings and voice...

Manitou - Pianist - Technician

Manitou - Pianist - Technician
Re: grooves worn in hammers....impacts to the sound, tone? #89266
12/10/03 12:28 PM
12/10/03 12:28 PM
TX
B
bryan_again_, Offline OP
B

TX
This is a baby grand, so it seems I'm slightly better off than an upright situation. Sounds like I'm in for a few hundred bucks to work over the hammers and regulation. Hope that does the trick.
Thanks again for the expertise.

(P.S. If you guys knew the manufacturer and condition of this piano, you might be insulted that I'm asking questions about it, much less the tech that ends up coming to see it. Appreciate the help nonetheless)

Re: grooves worn in hammers....impacts to the sound, tone? #89267
12/10/03 11:21 PM
12/10/03 11:21 PM
Boulder, Colorado
KlavierBauer Offline
3000 Post Club Member
KlavierBauer  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Boulder, Colorado
Rick and Manitou have given excellent advice as always. And as always, due to my tardyness, I'm not sure there's much I can add.

I would like to touch on what Norbert said though. He brings up a good point, that in an older piano such as this one (assuming it's old since it's inherited), there are many times other issues.
As a tech, these issues may very well change the work I'd do on a piano, as my primary goal is to leave my customer with a good piano, rather than just to sell work (not implying this is the case with either your tech, or the other two who have spoken on this thread).
But many times with these older pianos, I find that the grooved hammers are the least of it's worries. Certainly as Rick and Manitou said, reshaping hammers can and should be done on grooved hammers, but I would also look at what else may be showing the same neglect, and whether or not it's worth it to do that kind of work, or if you should be looking at a new piano.

Also, to comment on younger technicians not charging as much because of their "status":
I am 26, and charge more than most in my area to do this job. Why? Because I've not only done more of them, but also do a job that I can be proud of. I find that most techs charge less than their experience allows, but make up for it with less than perfect work. I try to do a job that I can be proud of, and being young means I have to do an extra special job, because people are already more critical of my work than others.
sorry... that comment caught my eye, and I had to weigh in. smile

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Brodmann PE 121 vs. Kawai K300
by Timpskie. 11/15/18 12:20 AM
Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room
by AB Forum Recital. 11/14/18 10:44 PM
Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018
by AB Forum Recital. 11/14/18 09:06 PM
DIGITAL PIANO "SECONDS WAITED"
by ericco. 11/14/18 06:15 PM
Diminished scales and chords
by Tango. 11/14/18 03:02 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,337
Posts2,761,210
Members91,490
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission