Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
89 registered members (bsntn99, Almaviva, bennevis, Carey, brooster, anotherscott, 25 invisible), 949 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lucid dreaming redux #891362
09/11/03 11:32 AM
09/11/03 11:32 AM
Okemos, MI
gryphon Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
gryphon  Offline OP
Okemos, MI
I did it! I had my first lucid dream!

This will be somewhat long, so if you're not interested in lucid dreaming skip this post. Still with me? Okay, briefly here's what's happened. I'm going through the book [b]Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming[/b] .

[Linked Image]

I'm only 66 pages into the 300+ page book. The book begins by explaining what lucid dreaming is. It also explains how dreaming takes place. This is quite interesting. You have more dreams in the 7th - 8th hours of sleep than you do during your first six hours. If you sleep little you have few dreams. The longer you sleep the better chance you'll have of having a lucid dream.

The book then begins to outline steps to follow to teach yourself how to have lucid dreams. First it suggests that you start a dream journal. Keep it by your bed and immediately write down your dreams upon awaking. This is for several reasons. One of the more important reasons is so you can begin to recognize dreamsigns. These are things that you will recognize in your dreams to tip you off that you are dreaming. For example, your house has different furniture or is laid out different. You know this can't be, so you must be dreaming. I learned something like this on my own 35 years ago, so I knew it could work. In my case I had some dreams where I noticed that a certain thing happened, so I told myself that if that certain thing occurred, regardless of what different situation I was in, I was dreaming and to wake up, and it worked.

The first night I started using the steps I had a half-dozen dreams, and I never have dreams! I started writing them down, but to be truthful I haven't kept up the journal because I am married and, well, um… Anyway, things started up well. I kept having a handful of dreams each night that I got enough sleep and I tried to remember them, but the book is right, if you don't write them down right away you won't be able to.

Anyway, next it explains that you can act when you recognize a dreamsign. Basically once you recognize you are in a dream, you can just decide to make anything happen and it will happen. Now it's been over six weeks since I started doing this, maybe eight. I didn't always think about this when lying in bed at night, and I didn't always get very much sleep, so for a while nothing happened, even very many dreams.

But last night I had a dream, recognized it as such, and consciously made an event happen! Now I wish I could take the high road and say that I commanded myself to fly, to soar and look around me, but alas I cannot. However I will say that it was very pleasurable and I enjoyed it immensely. laugh

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
Piano & Music Accessories
Re: Lucid dreaming redux #891363
09/11/03 11:53 AM
09/11/03 11:53 AM
Topeka, Kansas
RKVS1 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
RKVS1  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Topeka, Kansas
Will you be posting any any lucid photos? whome

Re: Lucid dreaming redux #891364
09/11/03 11:58 AM
09/11/03 11:58 AM
North Carolina
bcarey Offline
3000 Post Club Member
bcarey  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
North Carolina
Will you be posting any any lucid photos?
laugh laugh laugh

Re: Lucid dreaming redux #891365
09/11/03 01:07 PM
09/11/03 01:07 PM
The Evergreen State (WA)
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member
jodi  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
The Evergreen State (WA)
Lucid photos?! laugh laugh laugh

I don't have a dream journal, I bore my poor husband to tears almost every morning with "You won't believe the dream I had last night". Drives him nuts. (The fact that I sometimes dream about old boyfriends probably doesn't help.) laugh

Sounds cool, Gryphon. Let us know how it progresses. I might just have to buy that book!

smile Jodi

Re: Lucid dreaming redux #891366
09/11/03 03:00 PM
09/11/03 03:00 PM
Okemos, MI
gryphon Offline OP
gryphon  Offline OP
Okemos, MI
Jodi, I was thinking that maybe I could combine this whole lucid dreaming thing with my diet. If I took a nap every time I got hungry, I could lose weight while having fun at the same time! :p

Wheels
Re: Lucid dreaming redux #891367
09/11/03 04:54 PM
09/11/03 04:54 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
T
Auckland, New Zealand
Gryphon:

I kept a dream diary for years in order to disprove precognition. This actually resulted in some rather uncanny apparent precognitive detail, to which my naturally fertile imagination perhaps assigned greater significance than it ought to have.

You would enjoy J.B. Priestley's "Over the Long High Wall" and John Dunne's "An Experiment With Time". Even if you fall short of embracing their mystical philosophies the books are very interesting reading for the enthusiastic dreamer.

I classify my own dreams into four main groups.

1. Those resulting from physical causes, digestive disturbances and so on - mostly vaguely unpleasant.

2. Those wherein the unconscious couches an unrecognised problem or the solution to a recognised problem in symbolic terms. These are very useful indeed and I never ignore their messages (if I can understand them)

3. Lucid dreams, oobs ("out of body" experiences)and the like.

4. The big visionary dreams - totally unforgettable, always ecstatic and sometimes life-changing.

Rather sadly, over the years I have found that very few people appear to have types 3 and 4 at all.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Lucid dreaming redux #891368
09/11/03 07:23 PM
09/11/03 07:23 PM
Boulder, Colorado
KlavierBauer Offline
3000 Post Club Member
KlavierBauer  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Boulder, Colorado
Gryphon, I would love to read that book you've got, so maybe I'll have to pick it up.

I've always been fascinated with lucid dreaming, and tend to have semi-frequent lucid dreams (or at least semi-lucid).

It's not uncommon for me to be having a very weird, and/or frightening dream, and to realize that I'm dreaming. These usually then turn into superhero dreams, and I either end up becoming invincible and fighting my way out of something, or I fly away.

Lately I've been having dreams where I'm able to jump extraordinarily high. I can usually also float or fly. But for some reason, I get a kick out of jumping onto rooftops and running around like Brandon Lee in "The Crow".

Anyway, thanks for sharing with us. I'd love to read this book and find some steps towards dreaming more each night, and being able to have more of them be lucid.

KlavierBauer

Re: Lucid dreaming redux #891369
09/11/03 07:57 PM
09/11/03 07:57 PM
Okemos, MI
gryphon Offline OP
gryphon  Offline OP
Okemos, MI
KB, I think the term "lucid" doesn't just mean that it's "life-like" (all dreams are life-like, aren't they?) but that there is a twofold key: a) to be able to recognize when you're dreaming, and b) control the dream from that point on. Point "B" is, of course, the reason why we would want to do this. Now point "A" I had figured out 35 years ago, as I had previously stated (although the book expands my view on this, that we can realize this more often). Point "B"...ah, point "B"...if I could bottle it I'd make a million dollars. laugh

Wheels
Re: Lucid dreaming redux #891370
09/11/03 08:14 PM
09/11/03 08:14 PM
Chicago
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member
kluurs  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Chicago
I actually worked in a sleep and dream laboratory when I was in school and shortly thereafter. There were only a handful of such facilities in the country at the time. My boss is/was one of the more well-known sleep researchers, Rosalind Carthwright. At the time, we were studying the impact of therapy on dreams. I was the person cursed with watching the EEG machines and waking folks up when they were in their dream cycles. We'd tape record their dreams - and then analyze them later.

The basic thrust of our research was to try and better understand the "purpose" of dreaming. We speak of sleep cycles because the their are physiological changes that occur during the evening -- with "stages" of sleep. REM sleep is associated with dreaming. The sleep we have early in the evening is generally deeper and more physically restorative. As the night progresses, we have less deep sleep and more cycles of dream sleep. The dreams become more vivid as the evening progresses.

In one experiment, we were able to actually train a person to signal when they were dreaming. I thought this pretty amazing because it surprised me that someone could be aware of dreaming -- and not wake up.

As an aside...only once was I a subject for an experiment. We had a class of undergrads who were to design an experiment and I volunteered to help them set things up and then be a subject in their experiment. There were three coed experimenters and needless to say I "programmed" myself not to have any improper thoughts...or so I hoped.

When I was awakened while dreaming, it wouldn't have taken Freud to figure out the erotic nature of dream... I still remember saying..."I'll show you..." in the dream. And I was definitely showing them...

Ah yes. I edited a part of the dream -- still feel guilty that I thwarted science, but I knew my boss loved anecdotes and would have shared my adventure with the entire free world.

Ken

Re: Lucid dreaming redux #891371
09/11/03 08:36 PM
09/11/03 08:36 PM
Maine
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member
kathyk  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Maine
My boss is/was one of the more well-known sleep researchers, Rosalind Carthwright.
Was that Rosalyn Carter after she changed her name to distance herself from her White House days? wink

You male type guys all seem to dream about one thing don't you? shocked

Actually, I love this topic. I think if more of us were in tune with our dreams the world would be a better place. (Larry, Larry, you will have no memory of this conversation. Liberals are goooood. I'm calllllng you. yawn )

In all seriousness, though, I think dream analysis and therapy is a really neat and useful thing.

My very best and most memorable dreams all involve water - some horrific and some spendiforous.
So, what do you Freudians have to say about that?

Re: Lucid dreaming redux #891372
09/11/03 08:44 PM
09/11/03 08:44 PM
Midwest U.S.
ChickGrand Offline
3000 Post Club Member
ChickGrand  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Midwest U.S.
Originally posted by kathyk:
My very best and most memorable dreams all involve water - some horrific and some spendiforous.
So, what do you Freudians have to say about that?
You made a Freudian slip when you wrote "spendiforous" instead of "splendiforous", and coined a new word. Do you like spending money like water? laugh

Re: Lucid dreaming redux #891373
09/11/03 08:49 PM
09/11/03 08:49 PM
Okemos, MI
gryphon Offline OP
gryphon  Offline OP
Okemos, MI

Wheels

Check Out Our Newsletter!
Our August 2018 Free Newsletter for Piano Enthusiasts is here now, check it out!
Piano World Newsletter
(ad)
Jazz Piano Lessons
Jazz Piano Lessons
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dampp-Chaser system & Dawson String Covers
by mypianos4evr. 08/19/18 07:56 PM
Considering a Hamburg Steinway B
by James Guo. 08/19/18 06:47 PM
Thunderbolts and Lightning, Very Very Frightning
by MacMacMac. 08/19/18 02:58 PM
jazz as dance music
by iamanders. 08/19/18 02:04 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,962
Posts2,739,933
Members90,801
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission