2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Carey, Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
kraniak Offline OP
OP Offline
In the early days of my piano quest, I played the various Dongbeis: Nordiska, Story & Clark, etc., and found them to be below my threshold of acceptability. Today I was looking for a Pramberger and called a distant dealer. He was out of the Prambergers but began extolling the virtues of yet another Chinese piano. He made some pretty strong claims about it, not the least of which that it was every bit as good as an RX or C series (Kawai & Yamaha respectively). Pretty bold claim.

Before I drive a couple hours to go see/hear this piano, does anyone have any opinion on George Steck pianos? These are reportedly made in the new Sejung factory in China. The dealer's asking price is $8,500 for the 5'-8" in polished ebony. If these pianos are even remotely as good as he claims, it would be a great deal.

Thanks.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
While I don't mind driving a couple of hours to look at pianos, the claim is too good to be true.

A lot of the guys on the board do like the Sejungs, and think they have made remarkable progess in a short time.

But I wouldn't compare them to a RX or C piano.

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
I definitely wouldn't compare them to an RX or C piano.

But, if I'm spending under 10K for a piano and if I'm a player I would definitely see as many as I can in that price range. They are all going to be similar in quality IMHO.

If you do drive there, DO take a look at the quality of the soundboard if it's solid spruce. Down here the "inferior" solid spruce soundbaords have problems.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I wouldn't even consider the Sejung product to be on par with the Dong Bhei product, much less Kawai.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Kraniak,

If that's all you are going to play, don't bother. They're on a par with the others you played,if that.

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by kraniak:

Before I drive a couple hours to go see/hear this piano, does anyone have any opinion on George Steck pianos? These are reportedly made in the new Sejung factory in China. The dealer's asking price is $8,500 for the 5'-8" in polished ebony. If these pianos are even remotely as good as he claims, it would be a great deal.

Thanks.
Just remember that the piano you will be looking at will be a Sejung piano, not a George Steck. Mr Steck bears no responsibility for either the design or the build quality.

Del

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
kraniak:

Don't waste your time!
or money in the worse case.

George Steck and all Senjung pianos are JUNK.

Call a few piano technicians and you'll hear the true.These pianos are incredible rubbish!

G
G
Being the Western States Representative for Sejung products I felt it necessary to respond to some of the comments in this thread.
I recently visited the factory in China and took a lot of pictures which I put into a powerpoint presentation for my existing dealers and one for their customers. I will let the powerpoint speak for itself as far as the build quality.
For you that know my past retailing experience with some of the finest pianos in the world can vouch for my integrity that it is not a spin but an accurate representation of what is being produced there. I will be happy to send the powerpoint through email if any of you want to PM me with your email address. If Piano World can provide me the way to do it, I will certainly post it on the site here.

I would hardly call Solid Spruce soundboards from Siberia, Wet sand cast plates and Birch/Maple rims rubbish.

I have learned that posting on the forum can invite a whole lot of positive and negative commentary which is why most reps dont offer their comments.

I hope the powerpoint can be a constructive bit of information that will help future piano customers make an informed decision if they choose to want to see it.

Gary Egger
Regional Sales Manager for the Western States
America Sejung Corp

Gary Egger
Sales Manager
Music Exchange
San Francisco Showroom
415-552-0445
S
S
Welcome Gary.

Don't pay any attention to iyi. He's a troll here who apparently if off his meds again.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Gary,

Thanks for your post. I do not support the labeling of your product, or any piano I played in my hunt, as junk or rubbish.

I would like to view the presentation, if you will be so kind as to email it to me at the address in my profile.

Thanks ,

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
kraniak:

You could be in for a surprise - as long as you compare the Sejung 5'6 to the 5' RX1 or C1's not the larger models!

And P.S.: $ 8,500 doesn't buy you either!

Tell us about your experience later!

norbert smile

Where are RX1's and C1's made?

Pianos Wholesale, Tudor & Co.
(626)442-1150
Complete In-house Rebuilder.
New August Forster & Bohemia Pianos, also personally rebuilt instruments of high quality.
K
K
Very interesting discussion, indeed.
The only thing really matter to me is track record.
Those chinese pianos are new comer in the U.S . No one really knows how they perform or stay strong after 20 yr or so since grand pianos are considered for very long term service and use, not for come and go use like electronics.
I am sure ALL grand piano manufacturers do their best to make their products as good as possible.
Given that, spending $8500 on it does need a lot of considerations.

kraniak Offline OP
OP Offline
I guess I'll have to make the drive and try the Sejung myself. Stay tuned...

T
T
Oh, no.... IYI's back..... mad

GO AWAY!!!!!

Originally posted by Kenpcola:
Very interesting discussion, indeed.
The only thing really matter to me is track record.
Those chinese pianos are new comer in the U.S . No one really knows how they perform or stay strong after 20 yr or so since grand pianos are considered for very long term service and use, not for come and go use like electronics.
I am sure ALL grand piano manufacturers do their best to make their products as good as possible.
Given that, spending $8500 on it does need a lot of considerations.
Here's what you are hoping for...

Believe it, or not, at one time, Yamaha was not considered a good piano, just another piece of Made in Japan junk (that's overstating it, I know, but bear with me).

But guys who plunked down their money, and took a chance, got more value for their dollar, than almost anything else in the market. I think that is where we are with the Chinese.

Undoubtedly, some brands are better than others. Some are going to hold up much better than anticipated. Some will not. Some are eventually going to climb the quality (and price) ladder, and a rising tide will lift all boats, making the earlier pianos hold more value simply because of the name on the fallboard.

The hard part for the consumer, is to try to make the right choices.

Just like those Yamaha buyers, over 40 years ago....

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
Mr.Egger:

I realize some in a position similar to yours would be reluctant to post here, but I for one appreciate your comments.
Your post was well taken, and i hope we hear from you again, but rest assured few neede to hear from you to realize that your instruments are not junk.

The crudely written remarks in an earlier post don't lend credence to the assertions within them- from posts such as the previous to occasional posts concerning the poster's philosophy of music education and his resulting advice to others, little evidence has come forth regarding the intellect, musicianship, or technical knowledge of the author.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally posted by John Tudor:
Where are RX1's and C1's made?
AFAIK, all C series Yammies and RX series Kawais are made in Japan.

Wynne
kraniak Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Jolly:

Here's what you are hoping for...

Believe it, or not, at one time, Yamaha was not considered a good piano, just another piece of Made in Japan junk (that's overstating it, I know, but bear with me).

But guys who plunked down their money, and took a chance, got more value for their dollar, than almost anything else in the market. I think that is where we are with the Chinese.

Undoubtedly, some brands are better than others. Some are going to hold up much better than anticipated. Some will not. Some are eventually going to climb the quality (and price) ladder, and a rising tide will lift all boats, making the earlier pianos hold more value simply because of the name on the fallboard.

The hard part for the consumer, is to try to make the right choices.

Just like those Yamaha buyers, over 40 years ago....
Now this, ladies and gentlemen, is hitting the nail precisely on the head with regard to summing up my entire shopping experience. The only thing that could be added to the "Chinese Piano" equation concerns the chronology of it all. What I mean is that at one time, Japanese pianos were junk and went through a period where they transitioned into good pianos. With the Japanese, if you bought too soon, you got a good price but inadequate quality. Too late and the quality was there but the price had come up.

The Chinese are clearly in the midst of such a transition as we speak. The question to me is one of chronology, determining where the Chinese are in this transition, i.e., not buying too soon or too late, but being in that chronological sweet spot where the prices are still great and the quality has arrived. I suspect that while we're not quite there today, it could be as soon as this NAMM show.

Thanks for the insight, Jolly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission