2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (1200s, busa, clothearednincompo, 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,135 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#884643 04/01/05 08:43 AM
OP Offline
I have a question. When the news reports were talking about Terry Schiavo, they would always refer to the fact that there were protestors outside the hospital. And in one report, they mentioned that there were people who had been there for one month.

What do they hope to accomplish by standing outside the hospital?
Don't they have families? or jobs? I would think that it would be difficult to spend a lot of time standing around somewhere if you had family and job to worry about.
If they have neither, then how can they afford to attend?
Would not it be more constructive to do something else?

Just curious to what people think.

#884644 04/01/05 08:55 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Mmmm, I think most of the protesters protested when they could squeeze it into their day. I doubt many spent long stretches there. As you say, that is rather burdensome. There are probably a few people who are retired or who use their vacation time to camp there, but that's probably pretty unusual.

That said, there is something about protesting or activism that cleanses the soul. You're there with like-minded people who believe the same thing with a passion. You support each other, it energizes you, and it doesn't feel like work. It's more like bonding, actually.

True, protesting like these people did doesn't "accomplish" anything concrete. But there's a long and fine tradition of protesting and activism in the U.S. It brings attention to your cause, and in this case, the larger the crowds siding with the parent, the more pressure would build on the judges and lawmakers involved. Much social change in the U.S. began with protests such as this one.

In this case, the pressure worked, and a law was passed concerning the reconnecting of Terry's feeding tube.

The other thing you have to keep in mind is that the media often gives a distorted picture of protests. If there are 4 people there with "Life" taped over their mouths, that's the pic that will run on the front page. In fact, there may be only 8 people there.

I did wonder why the judge didn't issue an order moving the protesters back. I mean, it's a *hospice,* and Terry wasn't the only patient. Then again, maybe the protesters were a respectful distance away. Hard to tell from the footage. Michael's lawyer never seemed to complain about this, so I guess it was all right.

#884645 04/01/05 08:58 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My understanding is that a lot of protests are well organized, which means they schedule you for a particular slot so you don't have to be there for very long, but that there is always a presence at the protest.

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission