Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Tea Light
Tea Light with Frosted Music Staff Candle Holder

-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
98 registered members (anotherscott, anamnesis, akc42, agraffe, 28 invisible), 1,362 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Supersecret message for homosexuals #869785
09/12/04 09:53 AM
09/12/04 09:53 AM
Netherlands
P
pqdtw Offline
pqdtw  Offline
P
Netherlands
Great post, 'I am Gay." I agree with you 100%.

Now, can someone tell me why there are so many homophobes on the Piano Forum???? When I went to Conservatory, we were hard pressed to find any straight gays in the Piano Department--faculty or students!

Piano & Music Accessories
Re: Supersecret message for homosexuals #869786
09/12/04 09:55 AM
09/12/04 09:55 AM
Netherlands
P
pqdtw Offline
pqdtw  Offline
P
Netherlands
laugh laugh oops! ha

I meant straight GUYS! not gays... that would be another thread...

Re: Supersecret message for homosexuals #869787
09/12/04 10:04 AM
09/12/04 10:04 AM
Tom--K Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Tom--K  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by pqdtw:

Now, can someone tell me why there are so many homophobes on the Piano Forum????
We all don't live in Holland and have the opportunity like you do to put our finger in a dike. laugh

Re: Supersecret message for homosexuals #869788
09/12/04 10:11 AM
09/12/04 10:11 AM
Netherlands
P
pqdtw Offline
pqdtw  Offline
P
Netherlands

We all don't live in Holland and have the opportunity like you do to put our finger in a dike.
Ha, ha. Touché, Tom.

Incidentally, I am an American and did spend my first 33 years of life in America and the story that we all know about Hans Brinker and the finger in the dike is completely not known by Dutch people. If you mention that story to them, they have no idea what you're talking about. Or, those who have been asked this by every American tourist know of the story, but only because the American tourist told them the story....

Re: Supersecret message for homosexuals #869789
09/12/04 10:15 AM
09/12/04 10:15 AM
Canada
katie_dup1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
katie_dup1  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Canada
I am gay:
I appreciate what you say. Thank you for posting your thoughts & feelings.

Re: Supersecret message for homosexuals #869790
09/12/04 10:20 AM
09/12/04 10:20 AM
Tom--K Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Tom--K  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
pqdtw,

Lucky you're an American. That is a pretty good story. smile Well, welcome to the Piano Forum.

Re: Supersecret message for homosexuals #869791
09/12/04 10:42 AM
09/12/04 10:42 AM
Netherlands
P
pqdtw Offline
pqdtw  Offline
P
Netherlands
Thanks for the welcome, Tom. smile

I've been here for awhile on the Piano Forum. I've just been passing under the radar for a long time, which is something we gay people are used to... :rolleyes:

Re: Supersecret message for homosexuals #869792
09/12/04 10:46 AM
09/12/04 10:46 AM
Tom--K Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Tom--K  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by pqdtw:
Thanks for the welcome, Tom. smile

I've been here for awhile on the Piano Forum. I've just been passing under the radar for a long time, which is something we gay people are used to... :rolleyes:
Cool, I'm gay too, but I'm more of the self hating kind. laugh

Re: Supersecret message for homosexuals #869793
09/12/04 11:07 AM
09/12/04 11:07 AM
Indiana
L
lb Offline
1000 Post Club Member
lb  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
L
Indiana
I am gay,

Great post!!

"The second theory is that everyone I have met, no matter how perfect their life seems to be, has a cross to bear. A friend of mine has severe arthritis in his mid-thirties. If God gave me the choice of being gay or having arthritis, I'd pick being gay. He would pick arthritis. We may get comfortable with our crosses? Or maybe they aren't crosses at all?"

This is my opinion. We all have a cross to bear, how we bear it is what counts.

lb

Re: Supersecret message for homosexuals #869794
09/17/04 10:43 AM
09/17/04 10:43 AM
Okemos, MI
gryphon Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
gryphon  Offline OP
Okemos, MI
Well, it's been a week and only one response so far. "I am gay" has chosen to reply incognito, but that is okay. It doesn't matter who you are, I just wanted truthful answers.

I ask because I don't understand homosexuality issues. And despite what some think here, these discussions do help.

For example, "Is homosexuality a lifestyle choice or are they born that way?" Now many have said that a person is born that way, that no one would choose it. Yet not too many years ago the homosexual community said the exact opposite. Specifically it was when the subject of being able to find a homosexual gene was in the news. Were they honest or did they just fear that if something like that could be identified then those babies would have an increased likelihood of being aborted? And of course there are the stories of those who have left the homosexual lifestyle. Yet some have said those who leave weren't homosexuals to begin with.

"Does God believe that engaging in homosexual behavior is a sin? If so why would He create homosexuals?" Is that question analogous to, "If God is against sin [lying, stealing, cheating] why does He create us with a sinful nature?" God does, yet he tells us not to sin.

So as I try to understand homosexuality in the context of God and religion I wanted input from those who identified themselves as homosexuals. I suspected that most, like Kenny, would not be religious or believe in God. And in the few cases where they said that they did believe in God, I wanted to know where their notion of God came from. If the Bible, how their position could be reconciled with the Bible as they understand it. Unfortunately my sample response here of n=1 is much smaller than I had hoped for, but I do thank "I am gay" for responding sincerely.

As an aside, since writing the original post that started this thread, I learned of a book entitled Slaves, Women & Homosexuals: Exploring the Hermeneutics of Cultural Analysis by William J. Webb that looks like it might be interesting. As I understand it, it attempts to explain and delineate between Biblical passages that are culturally dependent and those that are trans-cultural. From an amazon review, "Every verse dealing with the question of the role of women, slaves and homosexuals has been analyzed." I do not know what the book's conclusions are, though.

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
Re: Supersecret message for homosexuals #869795
09/17/04 10:57 AM
09/17/04 10:57 AM
Chicago
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member
kluurs  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Chicago
I can understand homosexuals having some biblical problems - but so does virtually everyone else... Jesus is pretty clear that thinking lustful thoughts is sinful. Masturbation is sinful. Birth control is sinful. Our nature is one of sin. Making sex a priority before one's relationship with God is sinful -- but how many heterosexuals worry about this? So if I'm sinning on a similar plain as others, why should I get my briefs in a bundle over this issue?

Some heterosexuals assume that whatever feels good is good - and will certainly be good with God - because..."uh..afterall, God's a reasonable guy - just like me...and heck, why would he let me have all this sexual desire of a woman if he didn't want me to act on it?"

Why can't homosexuals think similar thoughts?

Maybe it is sinful to put lust before one's relation with God - but is that the exclusive provence of gays? I think not.

Loving one's neighbor...as one's self, as one would love one's own child. How many of us achieve this? How many of us put our relationship with God ahead of the search for wealth and confort for ourselves and our families?

I don't see the need to worry about others' sins when I'm on such a good rampage by myself.

Ken

Re: Supersecret message for homosexuals #869796
09/17/04 11:17 AM
09/17/04 11:17 AM
Improviso Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Improviso  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by kluurs:
Jesus is pretty clear that thinking lustful thoughts is sinful. Masturbation is sinful. Birth control is sinful. Our nature is one of sin. Making sex a priority before one's relationship with God is sinful
Ahh cursing Not only am I going to heck, I'm going to heck's basement. eek

Re: Supersecret message for homosexuals #869797
09/17/04 11:24 AM
09/17/04 11:24 AM
Chicago
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member
kluurs  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Chicago
Originally posted by Improviso:
[b]Jesus is pretty clear that thinking lustful thoughts is sinful. Masturbation is sinful. Birth control is sinful. Our nature is one of sin. Making sex a priority before one's relationship with God is sinful
Ahh cursing Not only am I going to heck, I'm going to heck's basement. eek [/b]
Fortunately, Prambergers are seasoned for that climate...

wink

Re: Supersecret message for homosexuals #869798
09/17/04 11:42 AM
09/17/04 11:42 AM
The Evergreen State (WA)
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member
jodi  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
The Evergreen State (WA)
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You guys are cheering me up already.

smile Jodi

(Oh, and awesome post, Ken - the one before the heck's basement one. thumb )

Re: Supersecret message for homosexuals #869799
09/17/04 12:56 PM
09/17/04 12:56 PM
Tom--K Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Tom--K  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Fortunately, Prambergers are seasoned for that climate...

wink
That Ken, was brilliant. laugh

Re: Supersecret message for homosexuals #869800
09/17/04 07:13 PM
09/17/04 07:13 PM
Okemos, MI
gryphon Offline OP
gryphon  Offline OP
Okemos, MI
I can understand homosexuals having some biblical problems - but so does virtually everyone else.
While I would disagree with a few of your examples, the larger point is that I think most Christians, and non-Christians alike who define a particular wrong, would admit to doing the wrong, not rationalize it. But I am only replying to your post and this is going in a direction that I did not intend for this thread to go--I wanted to stay away from something argumentative, from a debate.

I want to try to see the issue from their various points of view (again, within the framework of my question). That's why I only asked for their input. I was hoping that they would be interested in explaining their positions.

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
Re: Supersecret message for homosexuals #869801
09/18/04 09:11 AM
09/18/04 09:11 AM
Q
QuietGuy Offline
QuietGuy  Offline
Q
Originally posted by gryphon:
Three questions:

a) If you are homosexual, do you believe there is a God?

b) If you are homosexual and believe there is a God, from where do you get your notion of a God? (e.g. the Bible, the Koran, an innate feeling, etc.)

c) If you are homosexual and believe there is a God, why do you think God made you this way?

(FYI, I will not denigrate any opinions).
I generally avoid the Coffee Room, but some recent threads have prompted me to dip my toes into the pool, so to speak. Unfortunately, I do not feel comfortable revealing myself, so I am using a pseudonym.

A. Yes, I do believe in God. Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior, as I accepted Him into my heart when I was eleven. So, I am the rare creature, an evangelical who can admit he is homosexual. My father is a retired pastor, so I grew up in a strict, but loving, Christian home.

B. The Bible is my primary source for my beliefs about God. In addition, I just feel inately that God exists.

C. I have absolutely no idea why God made me this way. I simply accept this is who I am.

As a gay man, I try to avoid the "We're Here, We're Queer" crowd. That is not my style. I have a wonderful job. Like my father, I had a calling. My calling is to the classroom and for more than 20 years I have helped educate young minds to prepare them to be productive citizens.

Sadly, if it were discovered I am gay, I could possibly lose my job, even though my sexual orientation has nothing to do with my job performance. No, the administration wouldn't use "gay" as the excuse for termination, but they would find a way to let me go. It has happened to a couple of gay colleagues in the past, so I just keep my private life private from co-workers, as well as my students. [Plus, I don't believe that anybody's personal life should be shared in the classroom! Just my 2 cents, thank you.]

Would I change who I am? I don't think so. Since childhood, I knew that I was "different" but I didn't know what it was called until I was a teen. I've been through counseling and had many people pray for my "rescue" from the "homosexual lifestyle." But, sadly it doesn't work, at least for me. I truly believe I was born this way and will die this way. The one thing that makes me sorrowful is my father. I love him very much, but I don't feel reciprocal feelings. He has called me a vile, wicked person. In his mind, he cannot fathom that his son is gay. We only see each other briefly a couple of times a year, and the meetings can be quite tense. I guess THAT would be the one thing I would change -- that my father accept me for what I am.

I live a quiet life, for the most part celibate.
I go to church each Sunday. In fact, I am one of the pianists. I keep in the closet, out of respect to my father (as he is well-known within the denomination).

Re: Supersecret message for homosexuals #869802
09/18/04 09:29 AM
09/18/04 09:29 AM
The Evergreen State (WA)
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member
jodi  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
The Evergreen State (WA)
Originally posted by QuietGuy:
I guess THAT would be the one thing I would change -- that my father accept me for what I am.

I live a quiet life, for the most part celibate.
I go to church each Sunday. In fact, I am one of the pianists. I keep in the closet, out of respect to my father (as he is well-known within the denomination).
This makes me cry. I am so sorry.

Jodi

Re: Supersecret message for homosexuals #869803
09/18/04 09:35 AM
09/18/04 09:35 AM
Q
QuietGuy Offline
QuietGuy  Offline
Q
Originally posted by jodi:
This makes me cry. I am so sorry.

Jodi
Thanks, but no need to cry. I've done enough of that over the years. frown

Re: Supersecret message for homosexuals #869804
09/18/04 11:44 AM
09/18/04 11:44 AM
K
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member
kenny  Offline
7000 Post Club Member
K
Quiet guy
I feel for you.

I hope you are able to make the happiest life possible for yourself.

Thanks for opening up.

Re: Supersecret message for homosexuals #869805
09/18/04 12:46 PM
09/18/04 12:46 PM
New York
Jeffrey Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Jeffrey  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
New York
Quiet Guy - You don't have to live like this in your father's shadow. You can move elsewhere, to a different job where you don't have to hide, and to a different community. I hope you look at your choices fully. American offers a lot of choices in where to live, what job to have, and who to associate with. Take some chances. You don't sound happy with your current situation.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Buying an old Steinway and having it rebuilt
by asb37. 06/20/18 01:28 PM
Showroom Roland HP603 extremely laggy
by marimorimo. 06/20/18 12:12 PM
Kawai K3 - loud notes after bass break
by forgottenlife. 06/20/18 11:26 AM
Crack in Bechstein
by westsider. 06/20/18 10:28 AM
Hello and a question about confidence
by SomethingCorporate. 06/20/18 07:59 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,070
Posts2,726,201
Members90,416
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission