2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
30 members (Greta99, 36251, EVC2017, 3x4rt, BachToTheFuture, donpi, iliverez, Dazzie2, 4 invisible), 346 guests, and 362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Has anyone read this book?
#869551 08/17/04 07:14 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
DB - Please re-read Sowell, you don't seem to understand any of his arguments. Also, please read my posts elsewhere, you seem to have no idea who you are arguing against, or the views I actually hold. I can hardly be ascribed the PC views you claim to argue against. As for the rest of your weird anti-Jewish screed (Jews control the US government, are more clever than others, care only about their own survival as a group and not their stated political views), please learn some history, before posting such sick, vicious nonsense.

Piano & Music Accessories
#869552 08/18/04 01:21 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Jeffrey:
… please read my posts elsewhere, you seem to have no idea who you are arguing against, or the views I actually hold. I can hardly be ascribed the PC views you claim to argue against.
Oh yes you can, just look.

I won't vote Republican due to their views on social issues, just like I won't vote Democrat due to their views on foreign policy and economics. Sounds ok to me.
Doesn’t to me. What are you afraid of? Not being liked by someone whom you might offend by holding strong convictions? The heart of political correctness is NOT to hold any disturbing convictions that might lead to conflict of any kind; it’s nice to be nice. Well, as if anyone didn’t know already, I intend to vote for Bush obviously. Do I agree with everything he does? No. Am I happy with every policy of this administration? No. By the way my favorite candidate would have pretty few social issues to run on, things like border control, English as the official language, scraping and redoing the schools, including reinstating the fine arts curriculum. I’ve “been there and done that” with the liberals, and I may assure you that when I was in the liberal camp, I was just as staunch and jeering as the best of them. Then I got some reality and came to my senses.

The Lisbon earthquake in the 1700's, which took saints and sinners alike, caused an intellectual crisis in Europe over similar issues.
This was a touch of class, I have to admit, shows you have some idea of how people lived in another time and place and yet had to deal with the same eternal questions. Who knows? We may see something of the like or worse again.

What the liberals on this thread don't seem to get is that America will be hated by those less successful (particularly in the Arab world), whatever we do. Get over it. Kerry can go around on his hands and knees apologizing for living in a great and successful country all he wants, he will still be hated. Sorry to break the news to you folks.
And this was pretty much right on the money. Now, in order for you to get my point, all you need do is plug in anyone or any group who for any reason are more successful and are hated for it.

*edit*

I now got it to work. Us liberal arts majors aren't that good at computers. The trick seems to be you have to post, after selecting the avatar. It doesn't automatically show up on back posts.
Ah, hem, it’s WE liberal arts majors. I was one too as a matter of fact. Then I spent years wandering around, since I was still a liberal, and then I discovered that the conservatives, who are often referred to as the RIGHT, were really right all along. Within no time I was off building a career…. in computers.

If I were Israel, I would take out Iran's nuclear capability now. I hope Israel does the world a favor, and the quicker the better.
Me too!

Shant - Actually, Iran's request is the sophistical one that Britain defend it against a nuclear attack by Israel. The only country that talks publicly and repeatedly about first strike nuclear attacks against another country is Iran, against Israel. … Israel is justified in stopping a country that says it wants to nuke it, from getting that capacity. Would Britain be justified in stopping Hitler from getting nuclear weapons? Is the US justified in stopping Al Qaeda from getting nuclear weapons? Arguing against Shant is silly, since his posts don't even make sense. Also, the people of Iran generally hate their government, which fails on all normal criterion of economic progress, freedom, etc. Taking out the mullahs nuclear capability would help weaken them, so the people of Iran can gain their freedom, not that Shant cares much about that, he so likes to say bad things about the only actual economically developed democracy in the region.
Dave (Shant) happens to belong to a pacifist sect and once you realize this all his posts make sense from that perspective. I realize that it’s hard for some people to understand but WOW, THIS IS JUST WHAT I WAS GETTING AT IN MY EARLIER POSTS, we have to be able, as much as we may not like to, to get used to the idea that people are entitled to their differences. For instance, I thought Shant’s comment about forcible conversions to Christianity superbly apt and I agree with the tone of it. It’s very hard to be a Christian and a soldier, that song is pretty weird isn’t it? Onward Christian Soldiers. It was written for the Salvation Army by Arthur Sullivan of Gilbert & Sullivan. They are quite an interesting group too by the way. They were sort of the original “war on poverty and ignorance” brigade back in the 19th century. A bit of that wouldn’t hurt now.

Oh, and by the way Elena, that book DOES sound interesting. It makes right good sense to get to know the minds of our enemies. As Carroll Quigley once said (his book Tragedy & Hope is another on my top ten list) “wars are fought to determine that the view of the world held by the loser was the wrong one.” Don’t know what Shant would make of that one. I suppose he’d prefer just living and let living even with homicidal maniacs. Unfortunately if there are enough of them, and the passive approach is your answer, then sooner or latter the proper view of things would be that of homicidal maniacs. For the time being anyway I think we can spare a little room for the few pacifists that honestly choose this difficult path.
Shant we?

#869553 08/18/04 04:45 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
DB - You're making progress. Please look over my posts in the threads "UN to Israel: Drop Dead", "Hating America," and "Would you torture if ...?". You'll get more material.

Re Sowell: He credits the economic success of Jews in America to 3 factors: urbanization, literacy, skill in petty trade (and not agriculture as with serfs), when in the ghettos of Europe. He does not cite: innate cleverness, machinations to control the government, biblical rights or chosen people nonsense. Same with his explanations for black economic status in America: he cites government dependency policies and black job choices. He does not cite: intrinsic stupidness of blacks, he also controversially does not cite racism as more than a small part of the explanation. Behavior, choices and social policies are his basic units of explanation - not biological differences between groups of people (which is the implicitly racist explanation you seem to favor re: Jewish sucess).

Re my "lefty" social views and "righty" foreign policy and economic views. Both are based on the value of freedom. Not being liked?? Well, let's see - basically no one agrees with my positions here on CR. The liberals hate my foreign policy and economic views, the conservatives don't like my social views. I call'em as I see'em.

As for the Bible and general culture: if you can give me three textual reasons in favor and three textual reasons against the JAPD hypothesis for the Pentateuch, and if you can intelligently discuss the modern dating debates over the Q hypothesis for the Gospels, I will discuss the relevance of the Bible to any of the issues currently under discussion. Otherwise, you need to do your homework.

#869554 08/18/04 06:10 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ycul:
America Alone: the neo-conservatives and the global order. Stefan Halper and Jonathan Clarke.
I read a review in The Indy on Friday and would be interested to know what forum members thought of it.
It's a good read. Pretty much an extended version of the various articles..

It gets three paws up from this reader.

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."-- Theodore Roosevelt
#869555 08/18/04 11:29 PM
ycul Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by netizen:
Originally posted by ycul:
[b] America Alone: the neo-conservatives and the global order. Stefan Halper and Jonathan Clarke.
I read a review in The Indy on Friday and would be interested to know what forum members thought of it.
It's a good read. Pretty much an extended version of the various articles..

It gets three paws up from this reader. [/b]
Cheers

How now, brown cow.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia L225 loses tune very quickly
by M_albert - 10/20/20 01:49 AM
Piano Safari Christmas collection
by ebonykawai - 10/19/20 08:59 PM
Another "beginner" piece w/twist
by MilesAbbott - 10/19/20 08:58 PM
Sostenuto Pedal....in an upright?
by Duaner - 10/19/20 06:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,315
Posts3,015,360
Members98,949
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission