2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
clairol Offline OP
OP Offline
We just purchased a new Yamaha T118. It will be delivered in 2 weeks. (it would have been delivered sooner, but we are leaving out of town for 2 weeks and I was more comfortable waiting until we get home) I have 2 choices of where to put the piano when it gets delivered:

1) On a wall that is next to a gas fireplace. It is an "outside" wall and we never, ever use the fireplace. The gas to it is shut off and it has glass doors that are always closed. Still... it's always possible that there may be a draft come in from time to time.

2) A long wall in the formal dining room that doesn't have any furniture in it. It is an "inside" wall.

All our floors are tile. I'm pretty sure the best place for it is the "inside" wall, but there's a good chance that we will be moving our office into the formal dining area to free up a bedroom. So, the piano would have to be moved to the "outside" wall anyway in the future.

What do you think??? To move it in the future would not be a long distance (maybe 15 feet) so should we start it in the dining area and then move it, or just start it next to the fireplace? I'm semi-worried about the "outside" wall aspect. Or am I worrying over nothing?

Thoughts??? Thanks for any replies!!! laugh

Well, here is my 2¢....
I would go with the quieter room. The room that has less traffic, and less distractions. I currently have a grand in the living room, but one can hear someone in the kitchen and dining room at my house, and sometimes its like a war to get the TV shut off. With that being said, when I want to learn a new song I have to have complete silence, which is why I kept my upright and moved it into my room.....I consider that my "learning" piano, then once committed to memory, I use the grand to polish everything up...I'm just picky when it comes to stuff like that, so maybe other noises wouldn't bother the one who is playing it.

1976 Kawai KG-2C
1949 B. Shoninger Spinet
2003 Casio Privia PX100
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I'd pick a spot where there won't be any direct sunlight shining on the piano. Also, avoid the kitchen or bathroom where moisture might affect the piano.

I think either one of your choices would work.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
What is mentioned above is true, but I think you'll be better off putting it next to the fireplace now, since you'll eventually have to move it there anyway.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng/

Proud owner of a Schimmel K 189T and a Challen 130.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
As long as you're comfortable with never (and I do mean *never*) using the fireplace, I think either position would work... in which case I would suggest making the decision on the basis of aesthetic appeal (which location will it fit in better) and how easy it is to get to it and play. Myself, I like having a piano in the thick of things so I can stop and jot off a quick piece whenever I feel like it.

Does the outside wall have any windows in it? It's generally advised not to place pianos against outside walls as they're subject to higher temperature fluctuation, especially if there's a window nearby (even if direct sunlight doesn't hit the piano, the window can radiate more heat or cold than an inside wall will).

If the wall is well insulated with no windows nearby, it should be fine, but if it's not insulated or gets extremes of weather (eg north or west facing sun) then it's probably not advisable. Oh hang on, I'm southern hemisphere - that'd be south facing the sun for you right? wink You don't want it against a wall that's holding heat.

Balf

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Whichever location you choose, it's usually better to install a vertical piano c.6" away from a wall.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your new piano. I have no advice regarding placement other than this; put it somewhere where you won't upset the other household members by playing while they are trying to watch television. I speak from experience in that regard. laugh

I wish I had a formal dining room or even a largish bedroom in which to place mine so as to get it out of the same room as my wife's television. The spare bedroom is probably large enough at 12 x 12.5, but we are using it as an office. I suppose there is conceivably room for the piano and the office, but it would be tight, and I would still have a problem with disturbing my wife while she plays her games. confused

Whatever you decide, enjoy your new piano!

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

P
P
Originally posted by TX-Dennis:

... same room as my wife's television. ...a problem with disturbing my wife while she plays her games. confused
I would suggest you get your wife a set of headphones.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Actually, noise cancelling, wireless headphones are a terrific idea. We have them for our stereo (if they still call them that--at least I did not say hifi), which means that my husband can listen to music no matter where he is in the house, and the stereo can be stashed in a corner somewhere.

In terms of outside walls, as you are in southern California, humidity, etc., is not much of an issue, is it? Do you have art hanging on outside walls? If you have art on the outside walls, and it does not get moldy on the back, I would think that the outside wall would not harm the piano. But that is just a theory.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Headphones changed my life. So I second that, still I have to use the digital when I play late.

I also added some noise traps on the wall. I have a small room, it avoids bounces.

clairol Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for all the advice! I appreciate it! The outside wall we are considering is north facing and seriously never gets any sun due to our neighbor's huge 2 story home (we have a 1 story). Our pipes actually froze last winter when SoCal had that big freeze and they are on the north side of our house. So, sun will not be an issue on that wall. smile We never, ever plan to use the fireplace, so another non-issue. There is a window on this wall, but it is on the other side of the fireplace and not near where the piano would be. If I was tech savvy enough I would upload a pic of the wall. Overall, it sounds like it will be just fine there so I think that's where we will put it, rather than starting it out in the formal dining room and then moving it later. Our home is a very "open" floor plan, so unless we are able to somehow put the piano in a bedroom, we will be able to hear the piano and TV at the same time. However, I'm sure we will be coming up with some rules as to when is an "ok" time to play and "ok" time to watch TV. Not both at the same time! wink I'm glad someone brought that up now though. I probably wouldn't have thought about it until the first argument. :p Thank You also for the 6" from the wall suggestion. I will do that.

Thank You all again for your help! You are so knowledgeable and it's very generous of you to share that with a complete stranger. smile

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission