2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21
A
Ariel Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
Overall we just do not identify religion and nationality as do Americans although we are just as happy to have freedom from religion as you
Not all of *us* evidentally, as witness this Thread!

Friday: I can imagine - how little I know of the issues! What IS Koth?

Ariel

If this is coffee, bring me tea. If this is tea, bring me coffee.
~Abraham Lincoln~
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think the KOTH thread held the record for being the longest thread, but it seems to have dropped off the radar, and I can't remember what the actual name of it was. If you hit search (above) and type in Koth, you come up with a bunch of old threads, it's probably one of those.

Jodi

A
Ariel Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
jodi,

Thanks! I wondered if perhaps KOTH were a variant of "Couth". As in "He's really unkoth".

~Abraham Lincoln~
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gryphon's "picture thread" is the longest on the forums. KOTH is in excess of 400 posts, but picture passed it awhile ago.

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
"King of the Hill" may still hold the record, with 14,356 posts, 7421 of them from Larry. laugh
Edit: [not counting edits]

..Bob

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Ariel,

KOTH stands for "King of the Hill" and that is the name you will find the thread under. It's one of the very best ones in our collective history, but be prepared for a long read.

Really? Pictures has surpassed KOTH???!!! wow, gryphon should get some kind of honorary award for starting the longest running thread yet.

edit: bob, you slipped in. smile

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
pique, didn't you tell us you'd post your picture there? confused

[Linked Image]

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Oh man, Gryphon - your smileys keep getting better and better. smile Jodi

A
Ariel Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
Just for the record, I looked up both KOTH and King of the Hill on the Search Engine (both with and without quotes) and neither one came up as a thread. So I guess I will have to remain in the dark about it. I wonder what the title itself meant. Anybody else have trouble with the "Search" Engine this way?? This isn't the first time I've run into it.

I DID bump into some other interesting threads, however, such as "Define Liberal and Conservative" - that did sound familiar laugh . ALso some stuff from someone named Robert, I think, in a thread called "Am I Crazy or Just Extreme?"...About whether he should purchase a Viper (I guess this is a car) in addition to a Hamburg Steinway D. Or a New York Steinway D. Or all three. Plus some interesting and uncharacteristic advice to him from many long-time posters. So searching for KOTH (kind of like GODOT) wasn't wholly wasted.

Ariel

~Abraham Lincoln~
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I believe it was a thread about which piano was king of the hill. Didn't it turn into a Yamaha war? I can't remember. I'll see if I can find it. smile Jodi

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
KOTH started out as which instruement was tops, i.e. Organ vs piano vs clarinet etc. It went fairly soon to which piano make was best, there being a minority of organists in our midsts, and even fewer clarinetists (or flutests, flowtests, or fluppers either), whose correct name was only one of the wide variety of subjects which came up.

Frank MAY have deleted some of these old threads from the archives for space reasons, but I did copy the entire 37 page printout (359 Megs) near the end of its run and am quoting it below.
naw, I'd probably bend Frank's Frames. laugh

Bob

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
here it is:
king of the hill

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

A
Ariel Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
Thank you pique, Bob, jodi, smile

My mistake, sorry! I only "searched" in the Coffee Room. Silly me, KOTH was about pianos of all things. What a tempest in a teapot.

If we want to start the truly infinite thread may I propose, which piano is the "King/Queen of the Hill" in terms of the Conservative/Liberal Ethos?

And is Enjoyment of Music considered part of the Right to Pursue Happiness guaranteed in the Bill of Rights? If so, should this extend to Piano Playing (if not, why not?), with access to a piano unrestricted? Why then should piano ownership not be considered a potential entitlement (and if so, grand or upright)?

Devolving to the same question in the end: what should the make of this piano be?

Ariel wink

~Abraham Lincoln~
A
Ariel Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
I have been looking at the KOTH thread. After reading page one (which was about KOTH) I leapt to the last page working backwards and, although I've gone from page twelve to ten so far, NOTHING (almost) is about KOTH. But I have run into many of the familiar and by-now-characteristic speeches from various posters. Jolly's embroiled in another camel/eye of the needle argument!!! Is it the original or was there still an earlier one?
I guess it's so, as in French (where is Benedict?):

Plus ca change, plus ca reste le meme.

The more things change, the more they're the same (not as catchy in English - or is there another way to say it? Perhaps a Yogi Berra version.)

~Abraham Lincoln~
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
OMG. I can't believe I just read the whole thing. AGAIN. What a classic. We talked/argued about almost everything. How did you find it, Pique? I remembered it was from the forum, but no matter what I plugged into that little box, I couldn't get it to come up.

Here's probably my favorite line from the whole 12 pages:

originally posted by freddie:
It's late at night in a California piano shop. A mahogany Yamaha C-2 is gently sobbing and a Bechstein grand shouts "Shut the heck up, some of us are trying to sleep around here, if PENNY would have wanted you she would have bought you, now goodnight already!!!!".

laugh Jodi

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
[buffs fingernails grandly on lapels] us researchers have our ways, jodi! laugh

i typed "king" in the search box, specified the piano forum and the title only.

ariel, benedict had not yet joined the forum at the time of KOTH. (geez, sounds like a book of the bible or something--to attempt something like a return to the topic of this thread). he joined only a little bit before you yourself did.

i do miss benedict. anyone know where he is?

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by piqué:

i do miss benedict. anyone know where he is?
...... France

... laugh

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
oh, heck, jodi, now you've got me rereading it! here's a gem from david burton (and where is he these days?) that i have cut and pasted into my piano files:

--------------------------------------------------
------------------------------
Originally posted by pique:
i do find it a bit ironic that you are so scornful of political idealists, yet so reverential towards musical idealists!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here’s my answer; when one sits down at one’s piano and begins to play as only you or I can, there is no idealism to be reached for, the experience is THERE, right now, instantaneous and totally REAL. When one is able to realize with clarity the breathtaking achievements of some great master to the point that one is almost not conscious of playing as being played by transcendent forces, or even transcendent beings, to play the music, one is not trying for some ideal, one has achieved that state of being there that exists in few other human experiences.

Getting there, to be able to play a piece from memory, to be able to have the music play itself through you, that isn’t musical idealism either. In the process of learning, you are being plunged into the unique REALITY of each piece with its own particular set of musical and emotional contexts and contours.

If one is really lucky, like Arthur Rubinstein was, to be able to play for audiences and have their listening energy influence one’s own energy at the piano, then one is not idealized, one is REALIZED by the activity and that force and fact is objective reality not an idealized dream.

I have just finished memorizing the little waltz, La plus que lente of Claude Debussy, a perfect little jewel of parlor piano music from 1910 and the other night I was at a party and played it on a venerable old Mason & Hamlin grand. For a spit second we could have been in Paris in 1910, but those who knew the piece told me that it was really timeless. That to me seems the point behind all this fuss about pianos; the MUSIC that they can make and we, with our own two hands, can become at least for a few moments, immortal. For you see, all the shouting over political and religious issues will never accomplish what a single simple piece of exquisite piano music will accomplish. Music can melt the coldest heart, can cause grown men to cry openly, can move women to fainting, can stop wars! It can, it still can.

Here’s to all of you as you privately or publicly discover yourselves in one of the most real states one ever can, sitting behind your piano, and with your own two hands realizing that state of momentary immortality in music.
<sigh of nostalgia>

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
just to push this thread a little bit closer to KOTH length: larry, how the heck are ya?

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

A
Ariel Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A
A bit of trivia about PW software...Confused about why some pages seemed to take forever to scroll (while others just zipped through to the next) I counted the number of individual posts per page.

Sure enough there's a method to the madness. Each page consists of exactly THIRTY-FIVE posts - nothing to do with indiidual length! Except that on the first page,the intitial thread counts as lone post.

So, interested parties can do their math accordingly...You all probably already knew this.

(note that I am entering this info as separate from the following post.)

~Abraham Lincoln~
Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission