2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (Colin Miles, CrisOliveira, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,069 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#836812 03/22/02 01:40 AM
jgoo Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Does anybody know where I can find some really challenging deductive logic puzzles? They're so much fun to solve and I can't find any. Thanks.

For off-topic discussion, please feel free to visit www.coffee-room.com
#836813 03/22/02 04:00 AM
S
S
Two words; Rubics cube. Really challenging. And if you tell me that you can solve one in under two minutes, I'll pour mustard in your piano. wink

|| ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || |||
#836814 03/22/02 08:15 AM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
RubiKs cube. Heh.

Really challenging logic puzzles? I'm afraid I don't have any... calculus is enough puzzling for me...

#836815 03/23/02 03:51 AM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N

#836816 03/23/02 11:56 PM
M
M
You could pick up a book of Mensa puzzles; there are probably quite a few of those around. Some of the logic problems in these books are easy, but others are quite difficult. Here are a few examples of logic problems you'd find in these books:

1. In an election for class president, John is competing with two other candidates. After the election, the votes were tallied and it was found that each of the three candidates received exactly the same number of votes. However, there are rules that there could only be one president, and to settle this situation the three candidates agreed to draw a name out of a bag to determine who was going to be the winner. John takes a fresh piece of paper, writes one of the other candidates' names on the upper part of the sheet, his name in the middle, and the third candidate's name on the lower part of the sheet. He then tears the sheet of paper into strips so that each strip contains the name of one candidate. He places each of the strips into a bag and volunteers to draw the name of the winner. How does he ensure that he wins the election even though he is very adequately blindfolded?

2. A spy was captured by the enemy and was scheduled to be executed. Before the spy would be killed, he had the chance to make only one statement; if he told the truth, he would be hanged, and if he told a lie, he would be shot. The spy makes his statement, and afterwards, the enemy soldiers debate for hours about what to do and eventually decide to set the spy free. What did the spy say? (A very farfetched and unrealistic situation, but an excellent logic puzzle nonetheless.)

3. You have just left Venice and must travel to Rome by way of a desolate path that wanders through a thick forest. You travel down the path and come to a four-way intersection. There is a signpost that points the way to Rome and also points the way to Venice, but the signpost has been uprooted and is lying on the ground. There is nobody around for miles to ask for directions and you have no map or compass, and the night is cloudy so you are unable to look up into the sky to find the North Star. How do you figure out which path to take?

(Have fun trying to figure out the answers to these.)

#836817 03/24/02 12:20 AM
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by Marquis de Posa:
3. You have just left Venice and must travel to Rome by way of a desolate path that wanders through a thick forest. You travel down the path and come to a four-way intersection. There is a signpost that points the way to Rome and also points the way to Venice, but the signpost has been uprooted and is lying on the ground. There is nobody around for miles to ask for directions and you have no map or compass, and the night is cloudy so you are unable to look up into the sky to find the North Star. How do you figure out which path to take?

Starve to death.

Seriously, though...go the opposite way that the sign is pointing to.

#836818 03/24/02 12:37 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
1. In an election for class president, John is competing with two other candidates. After the election, the votes were tallied and it was found that each of the three candidates received exactly the same number of votes. However, there are rules that there could only be one president, and to settle this situation the three candidates agreed to draw a name out of a bag to determine who was going to be the winner. John takes a fresh piece of paper, writes one of the other candidates' names on the upper part of the sheet, his name in the middle, and the third candidate's name on the lower part of the sheet. He then tears the sheet of paper into strips so that each strip contains the name of one candidate. He places each of the strips into a bag and volunteers to draw the name of the winner. How does he ensure that he wins the election even though he is very adequately blindfolded?

He feels for the strip with two ripped sides (the middle strip has his own name on it).

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. - Clemens
#836819 03/24/02 01:18 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
2. A spy was captured by the enemy and was scheduled to be executed. Before the spy would be killed, he had
the chance to make only one statement; if he told the truth, he would be hanged, and if he told a lie, he would
be shot. The spy makes his statement, and afterwards, the enemy soldiers debate for hours about what to do
and eventually decide to set the spy free. What did the spy say? (A very farfetched and unrealistic situation, but
an excellent logic puzzle nonetheless.)

He says, "What I am about to say is the truth that is: what I have just said is a lie". You're right. Unrealistic. I would shoot the SOB anyway. laugh

Better to light one small candle than to curse the %&#$@#! darkness. :t:
#836820 03/24/02 02:21 AM
M
M
Originally posted by Matt G.:

He feels for the strip with two ripped sides (the middle strip has his own name on it).

Correct.

#836821 03/24/02 02:22 AM
M
M
Originally posted by JBryan:

He says, "What I am about to say is the truth that is: what I have just said is a lie". You're right. Unrealistic. I would shoot the SOB anyway. laugh

Close. But the answer I was looking for was a sentence of only four words.

#836822 03/24/02 03:50 AM
jgoo Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks. I'll work on those, plus I'll visit that web site. In the meantime, heres one for the rest of you. Its fairly easy:

A man looks at a picture and says "Brothers and sons, I have none. But the father of this person is my fathers son." Who is he looking at in the picture?

#836823 03/24/02 05:01 AM
M
M
Originally posted by jgoo:
Thanks. I'll work on those, plus I'll visit that web site. In the meantime, heres one for the rest of you. Its fairly easy:

A man looks at a picture and says "Brothers and sons, I have none. But the father of this person is my fathers son." Who is he looking at in the picture?

He is looking at his daughter. He says he has no brothers, therefore, if the father of the person in the picture is his father's son, he must be the father of the person in the picture since he is the only person that would be eligible to be "his father's son." He has no sons, so the person in the picture is his daughter.

#836824 03/24/02 05:28 AM
jgoo Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member

He is looking at his daughter. He says he has no brothers, therefore, if the father of the person in the picture is his father's son, he must be the father of the person in the picture since he is the only person that would be eligible to be "his father's son." He has no sons, so the person in the picture is his daughter.

NOPE! Thats what I thought the first time that I read it, but its wrong. Read the clues a bit more carefully and think about them, and it will come to you. It took me a while, but I got the correct answer myself, and without looking at it first.

#836825 03/24/02 10:03 AM
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by jgoo:
"Brothers and sons, I have none. But the father of this person is my fathers son." Who is he looking at in the picture?

You told us the riddle wrong, jgoo. It's supposed to be "Brothers and sisters, I have none," not "Brothers and sons."

He is looking at a picture of himself.

#836826 03/24/02 10:03 AM
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B

"I'LL KILL YOU ALL!!!!!!!!"

#836827 03/24/02 10:57 AM
T
T2 Offline
T
Originally posted by Brendan:

Starve to death.

Seriously, though...go the opposite way that the sign is pointing to.

Maybe you could examine the signpost for moss. If there is moss growing on the signpost it will be on the north side. Unless you are in Oregon, in which case it grows on all sides, and you are dead.

#836828 03/24/02 03:14 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

"This is a lie" or "I am now lying" or something to that effect.

"I will kill you" should get him hung since it is a true statement of his intentions no matter whether it is actually possible. In other words, it may be false but that does not make it a lie.

#836829 03/24/02 03:55 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

I assume that the signs to Venice and to Rome are attached to the same post. In that case I'd just plant the signpost into the ground with the sign to Venice pointing to where I came from. The sign to Rome should now correctly point to Rome.

I have an ice cream. I cannot mail it, for it will melt.
#836830 03/24/02 04:04 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mrenaud:

I assume that the signs to Venice and to Rome are attached to the same post. In that case I'd just plant the signpost into the ground with the sign to Venice pointing to where I came from. The sign to Rome should now correctly point to Rome.

I actually thought of this but can it really be that easy? I assumed there was something I was not understanding correctly about the problem. It just does not seem like a very difficult problem if this is correct.

#836831 03/24/02 04:22 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The guy who was (or was not) going to be shot might have said: "I will be released". If true, he gets to leave, if false, he's shot. Either way, the problem is solved. This is the only thing I can think of that would cause hours of discussion on the part of his captors.

I agree with the solutions of the other problems as given.

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission