Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
130 registered members (Alex C, ando, Animisha, almo82, A Guy, anotherscott, Andy001, ahinton, akc42, 31 invisible), 1,489 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 32 of 136 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 135 136
Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83611
07/12/07 09:44 AM
07/12/07 09:44 AM
Singapore
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member
Digitus  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
Originally posted by funfuntrip:
Originally posted by tses0107:
[b] Thanks to everybody posting and advise...

I have bought my Kawai K3.. laugh

The size also suit my small HDB flat..

Now playing it almost everyday, coz I have stopped playing piano for more than 10 years..

Hope I can play well one day... thumb
Hi All,
I am new here. I am also an adult beginner and have already attended 5 lessons but still practising on a 66-key keyboard. I am shopping for a piano, used or new, but quite inclined to getting a new one.

Hi tses0107,
Could you PM me the price you paid for the K3? Btw, is the music very loud when you played in your HDB flat? I live in a 4S HDB flat and I planned to put the piano in the living room which is not very big. [/b]
Welcome!

Don't worry about being loud. There are was of damping the sound somewhat (ask snoopycar). There are people who have grand pianos in HDB flats, in a bedroom no less. (Looks at wzkit, heheh)

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83612
07/12/07 10:20 PM
07/12/07 10:20 PM
Singapore
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member
snoopycar  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
The foldable 3 section fibre mattress type seems good. Sponge isn't so good. Stuff it behind the upright. Try with different distance, tight, some spacing. Usually 121cm above piano gets loud, but depends. My U1 us place in between 2 small windows with curtain. Seems like no need to put ant mattress behind, sound level is nice, free piano sound for downstair playground....

Hailun dealer in Johor Bahru base in Ulu Tiram
Genio Silent system installer
Piano Tuner tech +65 90228720 Singapore & JB 012 7702587
Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83613
07/13/07 08:19 PM
07/13/07 08:19 PM
Singapore
T
tses0107 Offline
tses0107  Offline
T

Singapore
Hi FunFunTrip,

I put my piano in my living room, I also stay at 4S flat.
Maybe its loud, but I close my door when I am playing.. so far no complaint haha... I play ard 8-10.
I ask the seller to send me the dimension, and try to figure it out in my living room.
Actually I also worry, it will be too big and take up all my spaces, but it turn out just nice.
If you want I can email you my K3 measurement.

Hi Mendo,
I paid 7k, just before the gst hike. I am not sure how much would it cost now.
I did try other model,like K8, but the price far far beyond my ability to pay frown
For K8 price, you top up a bit, can get baby grand already.
Yamaha I also browse, but I prefer Kawai.

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83614
07/14/07 02:24 AM
07/14/07 02:24 AM
Singapore
clam Offline
clam  Offline

Singapore
Wow I've been away from this forum for about 3 months now and it is still alive and kicking and into it's 25th page too! Congrats to all those who finally found their pianos! Me? I'm pretty happy with my 3-month old K8.

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83615
07/14/07 07:17 AM
07/14/07 07:17 AM
Singapore
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member
Digitus  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
Originally posted by clam:
Wow I've been away from this forum for about 3 months now and it is still alive and kicking and into it's 25th page too! Congrats to all those who finally found their pianos! Me? I'm pretty happy with my 3-month old K8.
Welcome back. Glad to know that your K-8 is doing better. I've heard that it can take a year for new pianos to settle in. Just play it as much as you can. The tuning will drift quite a bit during that time but will be more stable after that. I got my instrument last November and already I will be using up my third and last free tuning in a couple of week's time.

I'm also asking the tech to do some tweaking of the action. The let-off is not even across the keyboard. Drives me nuts when trying to play pianissimo.

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83616
07/14/07 09:42 AM
07/14/07 09:42 AM
Singapore
funfuntrip Offline
funfuntrip  Offline

Singapore
Originally posted by tses0107:
Hi FunFunTrip,

I put my piano in my living room, I also stay at 4S flat.
Maybe its loud, but I close my door when I am playing.. so far no complaint haha... I play ard 8-10.
I ask the seller to send me the dimension, and try to figure it out in my living room.
Actually I also worry, it will be too big and take up all my spaces, but it turn out just nice.
If you want I can email you my K3 measurement.

Hi Mendo,
I paid 7k, just before the gst hike. I am not sure how much would it cost now.
I did try other model,like K8, but the price far far beyond my ability to pay frown
For K8 price, you top up a bit, can get baby grand already.
Yamaha I also browse, but I prefer Kawai.
Yes tses0107, it would be nice if you could send me the dimension of the K3. $7k before GST hike, now probably add another $150 or so. But don't know whether the price will go up after the Great Singapore Sale. Where did you buy your K3 from? Tomorrow I will pop over at Asia Piano when I meet my brother for lunch at Plaza Singapura.

Hi to all beginners here, how do you test play a piano? Do you just poke your finger at the keys or you actually play out a song from memory? I only had 5 lessons and learnt very simple songs but cannot play without song sheet. I don't see shoppers coming in with song sheets, if I bring along like so paiseh help

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83617
07/14/07 11:11 AM
07/14/07 11:11 AM
Malaysia
Deloris Offline
Deloris  Offline

Malaysia
Yes tses0107, it would be nice if you could send me the dimension of the K3. $7k before GST hike, now probably add another $150 or so. But don't know whether the price will go up after the Great Singapore Sale. Where did you buy your K3 from? Tomorrow I will pop over at Asia Piano when I meet my brother for lunch at Plaza Singapura.

Hi to all beginners here, how do you test play a piano? Do you just poke your finger at the keys or you actually play out a song from memory? I only had 5 lessons and learnt very simple songs but cannot play without song sheet. I don't see shoppers coming in with song sheets, if I bring along like so paiseh help [/QB][/QUOTE]

Hi Funfuntrip,
Come on.....you no need to feel pai seh to bring your song book and try the piano. There is NO right or wrong bringing the song sheets. There are some ppl who like to "DEMO" in the piano shop instead of trying. Perhaps i would use the word "SHOW OFF". After show off, they can't even tell the feeling of playing the piano!!!

As for me, i'll try the running notes, choromatics scales, arpeggios,and feel the key weight of the piano (that is very important to me. I'm not good in memorizing songs...but...i always play "spontaneously" which they call is "improvise" ......anyway...just a few bars with few chords.
The "feeling of touch" is very important for me when i try a piano.

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83618
07/14/07 11:20 AM
07/14/07 11:20 AM
Malaysia
jarjar Offline
jarjar  Offline

Malaysia
Hi funfuntrip, I really brought my music scores along when I went piano shopping. I can't memories a single song too. Don't need to feel 'paiseh' as you're the one will be playing the piano and paying the money afer all.

Kawai k8-as
Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83619
07/14/07 03:19 PM
07/14/07 03:19 PM
singapore
S
singapore qualified technician Offline
singapore qualified technician  Offline
S

singapore
Yes, piano has become my hobby and interest.
Actually, i didn't pay alot for the repairs(DIY you can too).
I'm a piano tech "undergrad" leh
and freelance tuner tech - hehehe.
by snoopy

mr snoopycar.i m very new in PW,you have passion for piano technology,proud of you,curious ?
btw have you try the art of tuning temprement by ear?

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83620
07/14/07 07:03 PM
07/14/07 07:03 PM
Singapore
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member
snoopycar  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
Hi SQTech,

Yes, i have try, but didn't succeed yet. I need to strip mute the tenor, try to set the ET bearing at the 2 octaves with 4th and 5th. Time consuming to me as i find dificulties. Tried the consecutive 3rds method.. after that i got a "machine" to jump start.

As some of the problem i encounter is learning with no-so-good pianos, the uneven tone, due to uneven wear of hammer, cause inconsistant partial of the different notes. For instance, i may hear the 5th of this interval well, but the next 4th rings differently, i got stuck trying to listen to the faint partials. When i try bearing setting on my U1, it's much easier. So due to my humble limitations, i decided to set this my future goal.

I know a "master" tuner who just use 1 mute, 1 fork, hammer and a ear+brain processor to tune a whole piano - in "can earn living timing". If i use just these, i'd take days and not even succeed.. hehehe When i found out that in tech school the standard is 1.5hrs for pitch raise aural tuning, my jaw drop. My standard is from 430 to A4 440hz in 2.2hrs, includes multiple over pull passes until system is roughly stable, then i go for fine passes, then touch up. Check with 3rds n 10ths. If incremental rolls is missing, i'll locate the off-note and troubleshoot.

For now, i use "machine" partly also due to enviroment constraint(my lame execuses laugh ). u know customers home lah.. not perfect for tuning pianos... cartoons lah, harry porters, mickey mouse.. blender machines lah, Tibs bus pasting by every few mins, fan blasting, pants sweating, flaten hammers, telephone hotline chatting. But when i gets to final fine tuning at the high treble, i try to request all external noise to mute.

Yes, that's right, i really have passion for piano technology. Perhaps you are my "mentor" at a particular piano shop i frequent and discussed tuning and regulation issues? hehehe Sorry, very busy, try to visit your shop ok??

happy tuning
enjoy piano

PS:I think i blasted my ear the other time i went for pasir laba live range and forgot to wear ear plug, after that i hear ringings in both ears for half a day.. i thought, jai-luck leow, end of piano career..

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83621
07/14/07 08:27 PM
07/14/07 08:27 PM
YYGoh Offline
YYGoh  Offline

Hi, Sorry for interrupt. Happen to find this topic talking alot about Singapore piano. I think may be some members here can give me an advise of buying a piano.

I am thinking to buy a Yamaha U3. I just wonder am I able to get it below S$4000 for a used piano. How old the piano can I get from the shop? Quite confuse on this because for the price around S$4000-S$4300. I can get a U3 of serial no. above 2100000. I wonder is it fair to get this age of piano at this price which is imported directly from Japan and no recon.

Thanks in advance. I am keen to get one in this few weeks and stop searching anymore. It is a headache for me to choose within my budget for this piano.

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83622
07/14/07 11:08 PM
07/14/07 11:08 PM
Singapore
mendo Offline
mendo  Offline

Singapore
Originally posted by YYGoh:
Hi, Sorry for interrupt. Happen to find this topic talking alot about Singapore piano. I think may be some members here can give me an advise of buying a piano.

I am thinking to buy a Yamaha U3. I just wonder am I able to get it below S$4000 for a used piano. How old the piano can I get from the shop? Quite confuse on this because for the price around S$4000-S$4300. I can get a U3 of serial no. above 2100000. I wonder is it fair to get this age of piano at this price which is imported directly from Japan and no recon.

Thanks in advance. I am keen to get one in this few weeks and stop searching anymore. It is a headache for me to choose within my budget for this piano.
i would say this price for u3 is quite high. S/N at 2M is something 30yrs or more. no recon doens't mean the parts like the strings have been replaced. unless the condition is near pristine and good, you'd be better of getting something closer to 5M. i've seen one around 4M at 5k. if you are still keen on the one you'd seen, be prepared to write off your 4k in 5-10 years time.

normally the dealer would give some discount from the 1st quoted price. 5-15% would be a gauge depending on the unit you are looking at.
you may get more if you are paying all by cash.

More importantly you must get one that has the better conditions and sounds. buying from a reputable outlet would be the first step. buy back guarantee doesn't mean a thing. If what you get is a real deal, then in 5 years time, the piano still won't need any repair, unless you need to trade in if you don't like it after a few weeks.

hope this helps...

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83623
07/15/07 12:15 AM
07/15/07 12:15 AM
YYGoh Offline
YYGoh  Offline

Thanks Mendo,

I don't know whether the shop is reputable but there are some members did mention about them. Then, how about if the U1 serial no nearly 2800000 and qouted me around S$3200.

For the piano I am considering I will definitely won't think about resale it. I am just worried whether it will last me long.

Thanks a lot

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83624
07/15/07 02:33 AM
07/15/07 02:33 AM
Malaysia
jarjar Offline
jarjar  Offline

Malaysia
My 1st piano was tuned by a tech that tune by solely his ears. No equipment at all and he could tell me that my old old piano still not to concert pitch yet and will quite a number of tunning to get there. He did the job in about 1 hour. That time my piano was put in my father's motorcycle shop, imagine those noices. Really a good tech but i lost contact with him so can't really find him now.

Kawai k8-as
Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83625
07/15/07 07:00 AM
07/15/07 07:00 AM
Singapore
mendo Offline
mendo  Offline

Singapore
Originally posted by YYGoh:
Thanks Mendo,

I don't know whether the shop is reputable but there are some members did mention about them. Then, how about if the U1 serial no nearly 2800000 and qouted me around S$3200.

For the piano I am considering I will definitely won't think about resale it. I am just worried whether it will last me long.

Thanks a lot
2.8m is still something close to 30yrs. have you check properly the piano yourself? at this price no point getting a pianoetch to check. even if you get one, the person may also most likely know the dealer.

for what i've seen and read in this forum, the piano from the era you mentioned, are slightly on the better side.

a few simple clues to help you (you may find many more in this forum):

1. hit the last left note firmly. is the sound firm and deep and still have sweet resonance? if not, forget it.

2. run all the keys including the black ones (take your time) in 3 modes, soft, medium and hard. are all the notes have the same tone, color and loudness? if not, forget it.

3. are any keys sticky? like the key takes some time to lift up after pressing? old yamahas are known to have this problem. if yes, forget it.

4. open up the piano and check the hammers for thickness and evenness, strings, frame and tuning pins for rust, the board for any small cracks...

i'm not sure what level you are at now. the price you pay also depends what you wanna out from your toy. you may need to change in a few years time, if needed.

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83626
07/15/07 07:38 AM
07/15/07 07:38 AM
Singapore
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member
snoopycar  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
Originally posted by jarjar:
My 1st piano was tuned by a tech that tune by solely his ears. No equipment at all and he could tell me that my old old piano still not to concert pitch yet and will quite a number of tunning to get there. He did the job in about 1 hour. That time my piano was put in my father's motorcycle shop, imagine those noices. Really a good tech but i lost contact with him so can't really find him now.
That's a true master tuner!!
jarjar, your dad's motorcycle shop is the first to have a piano in workshop!! thumbs up. Hope the mechanic didn't greased the keys... hehehe

When i schedule is less hectic, i'll re-learn my tuning from machine to aural, I'm inspired to be next generation aural tuner in 5years time thumb

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83627
07/15/07 10:35 AM
07/15/07 10:35 AM
YYGoh Offline
YYGoh  Offline

Thanks a lot, Mendo. Your tips will help me a lot definitely.

At least now I know may be I am still able to find a piano within my budget.

It is really great to have this thread. I can learn a lot from here and getting some advise.

many thanks and wish all the best to you.

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83628
07/15/07 12:57 PM
07/15/07 12:57 PM
singapore
S
S

singapore

by yy goh.

reply to u :U3A or U30 is the piano you should consider (they are 20years and below,you have to pay more ,maybe you can ask the dealer for a end user and buyer kind of deal(no gaurantee,tuning,and etc,etc which they provide)he might consider to lower price,give and take,
and i will be glad for you rather then you buy a U3h which in my opinion is on a little old side,
forget about U3M they only in production for 2 years (younger then U3h older then U3A)

please test the lower bass and confrim is the tone still singing stronly or not?(sorry sound hard to describe by words)
i have seen yamaha with serial nos only 5 digits or 6 digit which is way to old to consider,2 pedals,with the word y,,,,, on the right size facing you,some unprofessional dealer i guess dump these piano in our shore(my colleage just tune one in ubi ave recently.so sad to see these pianos in sg,wondering who are the people who imported these junk.

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83629
07/15/07 01:19 PM
07/15/07 01:19 PM
singapore
S
S

singapore
When i schedule is less hectic, i'll re-learn my tuning from machine to aural, I'm inspired to be next generation aural tuner in 5years time
post by snoopycar.

by aural 1st of all -temprement or some tech called scaling must be taught,and sorry to say this have to be taught tough to learn youself as u wont know you are right or wrong,major 3th fast or too slow,

what i was told is that if you cant tune a piano by ear to a certain high level of expectation then its better to tune it by scope(of course not a cheap guitar tuner,i meant a full range piano tuning scope )

u have a real good sense of humour,tis place came alive because of you.techie"

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83630
07/15/07 01:34 PM
07/15/07 01:34 PM
singapore
S
S

singapore
post by mendo originally
no point getting a pianoetch to check. even if you get one, the person may also most likely know the dealer.

many of the technician(not all )in singapore.will hold their own opinion wheather they know the dealer or not,you just have you get the ethical ones,ask them sincerely that u pay them a apprisal fee,will they do it.also ask the dealer ,would they mind a technician to inspect,narrowdown the one who weclomes u.

btw FYI there use to be a 2nd trader in sg, operating from home,(for many years in old airpot road ,thomson rise,n maybe bukit timah area)he will cut you off once you intend to bring a technician,just buy and sell,many buyers was sold by him.

Page 32 of 136 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 135 136

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just for fun - Liszt Sonata in B minor
by Rich Galassini. 01/16/19 11:00 AM
Fix our CLP-150 or buy new?
by jlhopes. 01/16/19 08:46 AM
What would you have done.....Hammer problem
by Duaner. 01/16/19 06:39 AM
For Pianoteq devotees: new instrument introduced
by QuasiUnaFantasia. 01/16/19 06:37 AM
Yamaha Smart Pianist Recording
by oneilt130. 01/16/19 05:42 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,603
Posts2,782,364
Members92,121
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission