Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
125 registered members (Beowulf, BbAltered, AlphaBravoCharlie, Beemer, Angelos58, anotherscott, accordeur, Bill McKaig,RPT, 29 invisible), 1,688 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 91 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 90 91
Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83591
07/09/07 11:32 AM
07/09/07 11:32 AM
Singapore
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member
Digitus  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
Hi AnneOCDS,

This thread says that the BL-31 was a relatively low-end Kawai. But honestly, if it is in good shape and you like how it sounds and feels then go for it. Your dealer also seems to be offering good terms.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83592
07/09/07 08:20 PM
07/09/07 08:20 PM
Singapore
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member
snoopycar  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
Originally posted by AnneOCDS:
Dear everyone,

This is my 3rd posting. Some kind person referred me to this topic as I am in Malaysia and most of you are in Spore. I would not mind having more advice as to whether I should get this piano or not.

I am looking at a used Kawai BL-31 serial number M103nnnn, which dates back to 1978 or so. The seller is an experienced refurbisher of Yamaha and Kawai pianos which he imports from Japan. He restores them. He also sells to Sporean buyers. I do like the sound and touch of this piano (more mellow and firmer touch).

I got some more info on this piano from the seller. Feel free to comment if you have the time.

1) This KAWAI piano has the word 'SPECIAL' on the iron frame where the Serial no is. Because of this I was told that it is a custom-made one as it has:

a) GERMAN HAMMER heads, therefore the mellow tone
b) STAINLESS STEEL STRINGS
c) DIFFERENT DESIGN in the piano 'legs'. Looks different.

2) The Warranty for 6 years covers EVERYTHING which fails to work as long as the defect is not due to my negligence eg I did not turn on the heater etc.

3) The 1978 year of manufacture needs be 'buffered' with 5 years as the Iron frame which has the serial number printed may be produced as early as 5 years before the actual completion of the piano! Hmmm ... so it could be anywhere from 1978 - 1983 (best case).

4) The pianos made in Japan during the 70s - 90s are THE BEST as they use good AGED WOOD which newer pianos do not use.

5) The parts RESTORED in the piano are the WEAR and TEAR parts eg the 'bushing' lining, otherwise everything else eg action, strings etc are ORIGINAL.

6) The heavier touch can be achieved from :
a) Regulation
b) Weights at the back of the keys.

7) The offer price is RM6000.

THANKS EVERYONE for listening. If there is anything amiss from this report (apart from getting an independent technician), please do let me know, otherwise I think I will buy it.
I have good experience with a recond 1967 125cm K8. The tone is marvelous bass is deep, mellow, mid treble has a bell like sweet tone. Must be the soft hammers. The regulation need to re-adjust, as all the damper lift was too early - in a way adding unecssary spring weight to the keys touch. I'm planing to sell at SGD2K, waitng for buyer to save up in few mths time.

Look into the actions from the top.
Does the dampers starts to lift when the hammer are halfway to the strings? Is it over lifting - spoon length is wrong?

Key weight is subjective. On some pianos, heavy key can be responsive, but on other piano, it is due to bush friction and hard springs and cause missed notes.

No point adding weights to the key rear, but the hammers is light, doubt the tone dynamics would improves. But if it was refitted with heavier hammers which make the resulted key inertia higher, and the action is properly regulated(good setup-like a racecar), it can be a thrill to play!!

Have you tried to play some songs on it? mozart k545? Where is the piano shop? Johor jaya?

Hailun dealer in Johor Bahru base in Ulu Tiram
Genio Silent system installer
Piano Tuner tech +65 90228720 Singapore & JB 012 7702587
Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83593
07/09/07 11:57 PM
07/09/07 11:57 PM
Singapore
T
tses0107 Offline
tses0107  Offline
T

Singapore
Thanks to everybody posting and advise...

I have bought my Kawai K3.. laugh

The size also suit my small HDB flat..

Now playing it almost everyday, coz I have stopped playing piano for more than 10 years..

Hope I can play well one day... thumb

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83594
07/10/07 01:21 AM
07/10/07 01:21 AM
Malaysia
Deloris Offline
Deloris  Offline

Malaysia
Originally posted by tses0107:

Now playing it almost everyday, coz I have stopped playing piano for more than 10 years..

Hey Tses 0107;

GOOD CHOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumb Congratulation!!!!!!!!
Didn't you take any picture during the delivery time?

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83595
07/10/07 04:20 AM
07/10/07 04:20 AM
Singapore
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member
snoopycar  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
Wow another Kawai Fan !!!
Congrads !! (^V^)

New shinny knight huh.... did you give it a pat every night and morning?? I touch the trebles of my pianos everynight... ting ting, sometimes it response with bong bong at the bass section... hehehe

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83596
07/10/07 05:47 AM
07/10/07 05:47 AM
Malaysia
jarjar Offline
jarjar  Offline

Malaysia
Mendo,
Here is my experience and preference:
1) Yamaha - my niece has an U1. It has the typical Yamaha bright tone and light touch. However, it is loud and the dynamics is very good. I think Yamaha is good in pop songs, jazz and modern music. I think it is not suitable for Baroque period pieces such as J.S Bach due to the long sustain.

2) Petrof - my 1st piano teacher used it and I have been learning piano on it for few years. The warm tone is very suitable for classical pieces. I love the mellow tone of it.

3) Kawai - I own one now. It is very suitable for romantic period pieces by Chopin, Mozart and also modern music. Pieces that use a lot of sustain pedal is good on Kawai.

Snoopycar,
I've played some old Yamaha C3, C7 (more than 20 years old) and they all have exceptional bright tone. Maybe the one that you've played is still new and those that I played have not had any good maintenance and voicing. I prefer the Kawai Neotex key surface rather than Yamaha's Ivorites. I feel the Ivorites is too coarse. While the Neotex is finer but still provide the good 'anti-slippery' effect.

A little update on my GM10, it has started to adapt to the new environment as I found more and more keys are out of tune now. My house's temperature is quite high and does not have air-cond in my living room. Will try get it tune next week and probably I could do some recording later. The lid is so heavy to lift up, now I found a good excersice for my arms already.

Deloris,
The SK is doing quite well in Malaysia ya? So is the boss going to open more branches? Hehe..maybe can hire me by then.

PianoDisc,
My vote goes to the Kawai K8 as well. Although I own the GM10 baby grand which Snoopycar suggested but I still suggest you to go for the upright. The upright is better choice for Singapore living environment since most of the people live in condo/HDB. It is easier to sell too. I believe it has a deeper bass than the GM10 and it also comes witht he Millenium III action.

Anne,
Welcome to the forum. I'm from Malaysia too and there are also quite a number of members in this forum are from Malaysia. I like to do piano shopping and I've been to quite a number of piano shops in KL. Do you mind telling me the name of the dealer of the piano that you're looking at?
Regarding the piano BL-31 that you intend to buy, as another poster has stated, it is not an highend model of Kawai piano. The price RM6000 is too high for that 30 year-old piano. I think you could slash it down to RM4000~5000. They are tons of those pianos in the market now, you could easily find another one. About the key weight, I'll prefer a lighter touch, even if the key weight is heavy, it should not be stiff.

Are the German hammers comes with the original piano or has been replaced? If all the hammers had been replaced that means this piano could have gone through lot of usage. I know it is not easy to hire a piano tech to check out the piano for you in Malaysia as recommended by other members so don't rush to commit. See more and try more.

Kawai k8-as
Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83597
07/10/07 08:41 AM
07/10/07 08:41 AM
Singapore
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member
snoopycar  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
nicely said thumb

jarjar, how does your grangrand sounds with lid close? How about half stick?

Does your boyboy admire you from the sofa when you play ?? wow My girgirl startled me graps my 2 hands from behind and imagine she's playing the song, then the song gets mess up, then giggle.... then my memory becomes scramble, need to refer to music sheet again... hahaha

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83598
07/10/07 11:16 AM
07/10/07 11:16 AM
Malaysia
Deloris Offline
Deloris  Offline

Malaysia
Originally posted by jarjar:
Mendo,
Here is my experience and preference:
1) Yamaha - my niece has an U1. It has the typical Yamaha bright tone and light touch. However, it is loud and the dynamics is very good. I think Yamaha is good in pop songs, jazz and modern music. I think it is not suitable for Baroque period pieces such as J.S Bach due to the long sustain.

2) Petrof - my 1st piano teacher used it and I have been learning piano on it for few years. The warm tone is very suitable for classical pieces. I love the mellow tone of it.

3) Kawai - I own one now. It is very suitable for romantic period pieces by Chopin, Mozart and also modern music. Pieces that use a lot of sustain pedal is good on Kawai.

Snoopycar,
I've played some old Yamaha C3, C7 (more than 20 years old) and they all have exceptional bright tone. Maybe the one that you've played is still new and those that I played have not had any good maintenance and voicing. I prefer the Kawai Neotex key surface rather than Yamaha's Ivorites. I feel the Ivorites is too coarse. While the Neotex is finer but still provide the good 'anti-slippery' effect.

A little update on my GM10, it has started to adapt to the new environment as I found more and more keys are out of tune now. My house's temperature is quite high and does not have air-cond in my living room. Will try get it tune next week and probably I could do some recording later. The lid is so heavy to lift up, now I found a good excersice for my arms already.

Deloris,
The SK is doing quite well in Malaysia ya? So is the boss going to open more branches? Hehe..maybe can hire me by then.

PianoDisc,
My vote goes to the Kawai K8 as well. Although I own the GM10 baby grand which Snoopycar suggested but I still suggest you to go for the upright. The upright is better choice for Singapore living environment since most of the people live in condo/HDB. It is easier to sell too. I believe it has a deeper bass than the GM10 and it also comes witht he Millenium III action.

Anne,
Welcome to the forum. I'm from Malaysia too and there are also quite a number of members in this forum are from Malaysia. I like to do piano shopping and I've been to quite a number of piano shops in KL. Do you mind telling me the name of the dealer of the piano that you're looking at?
Regarding the piano BL-31 that you intend to buy, as another poster has stated, it is not an highend model of Kawai piano. The price RM6000 is too high for that 30 year-old piano. I think you could slash it down to RM4000~5000. They are tons of those pianos in the market now, you could easily find another one. About the key weight, I'll prefer a lighter touch, even if the key weight is heavy, it should not be stiff.

Are the German hammers comes with the original piano or has been replaced? If all the hammers had been replaced that means this piano could have gone through lot of usage. I know it is not easy to hire a piano tech to check out the piano for you in Malaysia as recommended by other members so don't rush to commit. See more and try more.
Jarjar,
I do agreed with what you said. As for me, there is no any particular preferences on pianos to play any type of songs. However, as i tried KAWAI before, i think KAWAI is nice to play in all type of music. This also need to depends on the model of KAWAI. The RX 2 i tried, i like the touch as it is heavier, sound is brighter which i can play "pounding" songs. When i tried your GM10 last time, it is more suitable for songs which is more "SEXY" and sentimental. wink

Anne,
RM6000 for BL model, i do think it is TOO much. Try to key in the Serial number at www.kawaiuk.com and check the age of the piano. If you are paying RM6000 for a 30 years old piano, why dun u invest a lil bit more for a brand new piano, despite KAWAI or YAMAHA?

Jar Jar,
Why not recommend Anne to the shop you bought the GM10? Hey, you can check with Jess whether the boss is going to have another branch? hehehe..... laugh

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83599
07/10/07 01:09 PM
07/10/07 01:09 PM
singapore
S
singapore qualified technician Offline
singapore qualified technician  Offline
S

singapore
to restore a japanese used piano the proper way is time consuming and not very viable,as the price when new just doesnt justified,
not much trader would restring and change tuning pins on japanese piano,only easier work eg,muffer felt,keyrail felt,cleaning pins and string or changing of bridle tapes.
so far i did only 1 yamaha U3 as some idiot have spray oil on the tuning pins and made it very slippery,
my main concern is too old a piano sometime torque of the tuning pins might be loose which is crucial for a piano ,if you wants to tune it to concert pitch of A440c/s.if cant tune to the pitch then its not worthwhile to consider.
i repeat tuning pins must be tight enough to hold the pitch at A440cps,THATS MOST IMPORTANT when buying a used piano.

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83600
07/10/07 01:18 PM
07/10/07 01:18 PM
singapore
S
S

singapore
Snoopycar,
I prefer the Kawai Neotex key surface rather than Yamaha's Ivorites. I feel the Ivorites is too coarse. While the Neotex is finer but still provide the good 'anti-slippery' effect.

all above are man-made syntetic ivory,if you happen to have a yamaha with ivorite and have turn coarse pls dont relace it with plastic keys\top thats what some sg yamaha tech will do,
i just buff it up and they feels smoother and nicer,easier ,cheaper and still can key the ivorite.

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83601
07/10/07 05:55 PM
07/10/07 05:55 PM
Singapore
mendo Offline
mendo  Offline

Singapore

can you pm me the price you paid for. did you check the other k series?

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83602
07/10/07 06:06 PM
07/10/07 06:06 PM
Singapore
mendo Offline
mendo  Offline

Singapore
Originally posted by singapore qualified technician:
to restore a japanese used piano the proper way is time consuming and not very viable,as the price when new just doesnt justified,
not much trader would restring and change tuning pins on japanese piano,only easier work eg,muffer felt,keyrail felt,cleaning pins and string or changing of bridle tapes.
so far i did only 1 yamaha U3 as some idiot have spray oil on the tuning pins and made it very slippery,
my main concern is too old a piano sometime torque of the tuning pins might be loose which is crucial for a piano ,if you wants to tune it to concert pitch of A440c/s.if cant tune to the pitch then its not worthwhile to consider.
i repeat tuning pins must be tight enough to hold the pitch at A440cps,THATS MOST IMPORTANT when buying a used piano.
so, the tuning pins becoming loose is a matter of simply retightening again or an intrinsic failure mode, that the pins need to be change over certain period of time?

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83603
07/10/07 06:07 PM
07/10/07 06:07 PM
Singapore
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member
snoopycar  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
ya man.... some traders spray wd-40 on scotch brite to clean the tuning pins, some oil seeps into the block and thats it ..leow. pitch drop by itself...

SQT, good info thanks

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83604
07/11/07 08:23 AM
07/11/07 08:23 AM
Malaysia
jarjar Offline
jarjar  Offline

Malaysia
Haha snoopycar, you're so funny. Well, my bf doesn't got the chance to 'admire' my playing yet. He flew off to Vietnam for job function the next day after my piano was delivered. Till now still not back yet.

Kawai k8-as
Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83605
07/11/07 09:55 AM
07/11/07 09:55 AM
Malaysia
Deloris Offline
Deloris  Offline

Malaysia
so...........as a conclusion..........DONT buy used piano????

How should we know whether the tuning pin of the used piano is good or not? We cant ask the tuner to check b4 we buy, rite?

Well....buying a used piano really BUY AT UR OWN RISK.

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83606
07/11/07 01:24 PM
07/11/07 01:24 PM
singapore
S
S

singapore
How should we know whether the tuning pin of the used piano is good or not? We cant ask the tuner to check b4 we buy, rite?

Well....buying a used piano really BUY AT UR OWN RISK.

stick to japan used piano age below 25years if you have to take the risk,chances is slimmer,much slimmer of torque being loose,

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83607
07/11/07 06:44 PM
07/11/07 06:44 PM
Singapore
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member
snoopycar  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
Well, there are ways to do that, denpend on cost.
After choosing the piano, request it to be tuned, all unison to be perfect - good pin setting is a must.
1) Jab as hard as you can with 2nd/3rd fingers striaght on all the notes, bichord, trichord.
After a while, listen for any wild unison.
Take a tuning hammer to turn the affected pin, is it loose? If not loose, tuner didn't set pin to optimun. If it was a loose pin, it will show up early. Or spot check the common notes F3,G3, C4...

2)Use a torque wrench with tuning pin attachment to check all the pin if it is within specf. After that, you may have to pay for a tuning for the poor dealer as all notes would be out of tune... hehehe Gather the data. Determine the torque spread with afew settings. Abit extreme hor?

3)Take a risk. Smell the pins for any WD-40 or oily smell. If no smell = probably ok
Buy piano, next time tuning come to tune piano, ask if there is any loose pins. Depend on honesty, you'll get different answers.
If pins becomes so loose that it is un-tunable, then do something like technician magic lor.
Sometime loose pin doesn;t mean un-tunable, because of the friction at the pressure bar and the termination bar, it manages to maintain tension = pitch.

4) buy new lor, but high price leh.....

Buying 2nd hand risk is there, but the potential saving is there too. Applying some knowledge minimize the risk lor, right?

cheers

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83608
07/12/07 07:50 AM
07/12/07 07:50 AM
Malaysia
jarjar Offline
jarjar  Offline

Malaysia
I bought the 'The Piano Book' by Larry Fine. It teaches you how to choose an used piano. For the tunning pins, it says check whether the level of every pin is same and the position of the string at the pin. Hard to explain here but that is really a good book.

Kawai k8-as
Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83609
07/12/07 09:31 AM
07/12/07 09:31 AM
Singapore
funfuntrip Offline
funfuntrip  Offline

Singapore

Hi All,
I am new here. I am also an adult beginner and have already attended 5 lessons but still practising on a 66-key keyboard. I am shopping for a piano, used or new, but quite inclined to getting a new one.

Hi tses0107,
Could you PM me the price you paid for the K3? Btw, is the music very loud when you played in your HDB flat? I live in a 4S HDB flat and I planned to put the piano in the living room which is not very big.

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83610
07/12/07 09:39 AM
07/12/07 09:39 AM
Singapore
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member
Digitus  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
Originally posted by jarjar:
I bought the 'The Piano Book' by Larry Fine. It teaches you how to choose an used piano. For the tunning pins, it says check whether the level of every pin is same and the position of the string at the pin. Hard to explain here but that is really a good book.
Otherwise known as "The Piano Bible". However, like all scripture, take with a pinch of salt. Some people think that whatever he says is the absolute truth, even when he cautions against making such assumptions. You can download the annual supplement from the book's website, for a fee.

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83611
07/12/07 09:44 AM
07/12/07 09:44 AM
Singapore
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member
Digitus  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
Originally posted by funfuntrip:
[b] Thanks to everybody posting and advise...

Hi All,
I am new here. I am also an adult beginner and have already attended 5 lessons but still practising on a 66-key keyboard. I am shopping for a piano, used or new, but quite inclined to getting a new one.

Hi tses0107,
Could you PM me the price you paid for the K3? Btw, is the music very loud when you played in your HDB flat? I live in a 4S HDB flat and I planned to put the piano in the living room which is not very big. [/b]
Welcome!

Don't worry about being loud. There are was of damping the sound somewhat (ask snoopycar). There are people who have grand pianos in HDB flats, in a bedroom no less. (Looks at wzkit, heheh)

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83612
07/12/07 10:20 PM
07/12/07 10:20 PM
Singapore
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member
snoopycar  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
The foldable 3 section fibre mattress type seems good. Sponge isn't so good. Stuff it behind the upright. Try with different distance, tight, some spacing. Usually 121cm above piano gets loud, but depends. My U1 us place in between 2 small windows with curtain. Seems like no need to put ant mattress behind, sound level is nice, free piano sound for downstair playground....

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83613
07/13/07 08:19 PM
07/13/07 08:19 PM
Singapore
T
tses0107 Offline
tses0107  Offline
T

Singapore
Hi FunFunTrip,

I put my piano in my living room, I also stay at 4S flat.
Maybe its loud, but I close my door when I am playing.. so far no complaint haha... I play ard 8-10.
I ask the seller to send me the dimension, and try to figure it out in my living room.
Actually I also worry, it will be too big and take up all my spaces, but it turn out just nice.
If you want I can email you my K3 measurement.

Hi Mendo,
I paid 7k, just before the gst hike. I am not sure how much would it cost now.
I did try other model,like K8, but the price far far beyond my ability to pay frown
For K8 price, you top up a bit, can get baby grand already.
Yamaha I also browse, but I prefer Kawai.

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83614
07/14/07 02:24 AM
07/14/07 02:24 AM
Singapore
clam Offline
clam  Offline

Singapore
Wow I've been away from this forum for about 3 months now and it is still alive and kicking and into it's 25th page too! Congrats to all those who finally found their pianos! Me? I'm pretty happy with my 3-month old K8.

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83615
07/14/07 07:17 AM
07/14/07 07:17 AM
Singapore
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member
Digitus  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
Originally posted by clam:
Wow I've been away from this forum for about 3 months now and it is still alive and kicking and into it's 25th page too! Congrats to all those who finally found their pianos! Me? I'm pretty happy with my 3-month old K8.
Welcome back. Glad to know that your K-8 is doing better. I've heard that it can take a year for new pianos to settle in. Just play it as much as you can. The tuning will drift quite a bit during that time but will be more stable after that. I got my instrument last November and already I will be using up my third and last free tuning in a couple of week's time.

I'm also asking the tech to do some tweaking of the action. The let-off is not even across the keyboard. Drives me nuts when trying to play pianissimo.

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83616
07/14/07 09:42 AM
07/14/07 09:42 AM
Singapore
funfuntrip Offline
funfuntrip  Offline

Singapore
Hi FunFunTrip,

I put my piano in my living room, I also stay at 4S flat.
Maybe its loud, but I close my door when I am playing.. so far no complaint haha... I play ard 8-10.
I ask the seller to send me the dimension, and try to figure it out in my living room.
Actually I also worry, it will be too big and take up all my spaces, but it turn out just nice.
If you want I can email you my K3 measurement.

Hi Mendo,
I paid 7k, just before the gst hike. I am not sure how much would it cost now.
I did try other model,like K8, but the price far far beyond my ability to pay frown
For K8 price, you top up a bit, can get baby grand already.
Yamaha I also browse, but I prefer Kawai.
Yes tses0107, it would be nice if you could send me the dimension of the K3. $7k before GST hike, now probably add another $150 or so. But don't know whether the price will go up after the Great Singapore Sale. Where did you buy your K3 from? Tomorrow I will pop over at Asia Piano when I meet my brother for lunch at Plaza Singapura.

Hi to all beginners here, how do you test play a piano? Do you just poke your finger at the keys or you actually play out a song from memory? I only had 5 lessons and learnt very simple songs but cannot play without song sheet. I don't see shoppers coming in with song sheets, if I bring along like so paiseh help

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83617
07/14/07 11:11 AM
07/14/07 11:11 AM
Malaysia
Deloris Offline
Deloris  Offline

Malaysia
Yes tses0107, it would be nice if you could send me the dimension of the K3. $7k before GST hike, now probably add another $150 or so. But don't know whether the price will go up after the Great Singapore Sale. Where did you buy your K3 from? Tomorrow I will pop over at Asia Piano when I meet my brother for lunch at Plaza Singapura.

Hi to all beginners here, how do you test play a piano? Do you just poke your finger at the keys or you actually play out a song from memory? I only had 5 lessons and learnt very simple songs but cannot play without song sheet. I don't see shoppers coming in with song sheets, if I bring along like so paiseh help [/QB][/QUOTE]

Hi Funfuntrip,
Come on.....you no need to feel pai seh to bring your song book and try the piano. There is NO right or wrong bringing the song sheets. There are some ppl who like to "DEMO" in the piano shop instead of trying. Perhaps i would use the word "SHOW OFF". After show off, they can't even tell the feeling of playing the piano!!!

As for me, i'll try the running notes, choromatics scales, arpeggios,and feel the key weight of the piano (that is very important to me. I'm not good in memorizing songs...but...i always play "spontaneously" which they call is "improvise" ......anyway...just a few bars with few chords.
The "feeling of touch" is very important for me when i try a piano.

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83618
07/14/07 11:20 AM
07/14/07 11:20 AM
Malaysia
jarjar Offline
jarjar  Offline

Malaysia
Hi funfuntrip, I really brought my music scores along when I went piano shopping. I can't memories a single song too. Don't need to feel 'paiseh' as you're the one will be playing the piano and paying the money afer all.

Kawai k8-as
Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83619
07/14/07 03:19 PM
07/14/07 03:19 PM
singapore
S
S

singapore
Yes, piano has become my hobby and interest.
Actually, i didn't pay alot for the repairs(DIY you can too).
I'm a piano tech "undergrad" leh
and freelance tuner tech - hehehe.
by snoopy

mr snoopycar.i m very new in PW,you have passion for piano technology,proud of you,curious ?
btw have you try the art of tuning temprement by ear?

Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano #83620
07/14/07 07:03 PM
07/14/07 07:03 PM
Singapore
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member
snoopycar  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
Hi SQTech,

Yes, i have try, but didn't succeed yet. I need to strip mute the tenor, try to set the ET bearing at the 2 octaves with 4th and 5th. Time consuming to me as i find dificulties. Tried the consecutive 3rds method.. after that i got a "machine" to jump start.

As some of the problem i encounter is learning with no-so-good pianos, the uneven tone, due to uneven wear of hammer, cause inconsistant partial of the different notes. For instance, i may hear the 5th of this interval well, but the next 4th rings differently, i got stuck trying to listen to the faint partials. When i try bearing setting on my U1, it's much easier. So due to my humble limitations, i decided to set this my future goal.

I know a "master" tuner who just use 1 mute, 1 fork, hammer and a ear+brain processor to tune a whole piano - in "can earn living timing". If i use just these, i'd take days and not even succeed.. hehehe When i found out that in tech school the standard is 1.5hrs for pitch raise aural tuning, my jaw drop. My standard is from 430 to A4 440hz in 2.2hrs, includes multiple over pull passes until system is roughly stable, then i go for fine passes, then touch up. Check with 3rds n 10ths. If incremental rolls is missing, i'll locate the off-note and troubleshoot.

For now, i use "machine" partly also due to enviroment constraint(my lame execuses laugh ). u know customers home lah.. not perfect for tuning pianos... cartoons lah, harry porters, mickey mouse.. blender machines lah, Tibs bus pasting by every few mins, fan blasting, pants sweating, flaten hammers, telephone hotline chatting. But when i gets to final fine tuning at the high treble, i try to request all external noise to mute.

Yes, that's right, i really have passion for piano technology. Perhaps you are my "mentor" at a particular piano shop i frequent and discussed tuning and regulation issues? hehehe Sorry, very busy, try to visit your shop ok??

happy tuning
enjoy piano

PS:I think i blasted my ear the other time i went for pasir laba live range and forgot to wear ear plug, after that i hear ringings in both ears for half a day.. i thought, jai-luck leow, end of piano career..

Page 21 of 91 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 90 91

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
One vs. Two-Hnaded Sight Reading
by BbAltered. 11/15/18 01:08 PM
Casio PX-160 or Yamaha P-125 for Beginner
by jediknight. 11/15/18 11:42 AM
Late 19th - early 20th century Pleyel pianos.
by Wckoek. 11/15/18 08:36 AM
John Lewis Christmas ad 2018
by Timpskie. 11/15/18 06:40 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,342
Posts2,761,353
Members91,493
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission