2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Weakness: many current PW members have issues with the founder of the site.

And that's sad. For years I put all I had into this place, trying to help people, putting my experience to work to help keep down the spin and misinformation, stomping the toes of trolls who were bothering people, drawing their fire away from others onto me. I have tried to be a friend, I've tried to entertain, I've shared my ups and downs, and your ups and downs. I've cried when you lost someone, I've swelled with pride when you've found someone, I've cussed you, I've hugged you, I've argued with you, and I've supported you.

Over time, when one takes on the kinds of tasks I took on around here, you accumulate war wounds. But I always thought most people understood that. I guess not. After all I have been here, good and bad, I find it said that many have issues with me.

I am sorry you all feel that way.

I truly don't understand why the people who have issues with me don't seem to have issues with those who were nasty toward me. Maybe it's because I'm an Indian. Maybe it's because I'm a conservative. Maybe it's because I'm so damned good looking.......

Or maybe it's something else.

All I know is this - I would have gone to the wall for any one of you. I care about you all. I guess it's not ok for me to stand up for myself. I guess a few others get to skate by on a different standard.

Oh well. As they say, I'll know who my friends are soon enough.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Larry,

Most of the 'current PW members' who have an issue with you are pretty doggone new to this place.. not everyone feels this way, I assure you.

I'll take real and substantive over affable any day.

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
Q
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Q
Larry,

You seem genuinely hurt, so let me offer what I hope will be a neutral, non-insulting explanation.

There's a point at which the texture of the response overwhelms the content. I've certainly been guilty of nastiness too, and I have recently apologized (more than once) for abusing Frank's hospitality. However, it's clear to me that some people, even people I agree with on substance, aren't making it to the substance of what I am saying because they can't cut through the vitriol.

The same, it is fair to say, probably applies to you.

I think it's also fair to say that the best moderators are those who post infrequently, and who don't get caught up in the substance of heated debates. If those are reasonable qualifications, I certainly don't fit the bill. Neither, I would suggest, do you.

I also prefer an "open" forum, where anyone of any viewpoint is free to participate. For better or worse, at various times, even in the last few days, you've suggested that you'd ban certain posters. (Your comment to yhabpo that his posting days would soon be over comes to mind.) I certainly don't agree with everything that yhabpo says, and some of it I disagree with violently and even find repugnant, but I find his viewpoint interesting and worth reading. I don't want to participate in a forum where someone like yhabpo, even if he is only posting to provoke a response, isn't able to participate.

In any event, it's unlikely that I'd survive in your forum for long. People who call the moderator names have an unfortunate tendency, in all forums, to disappear into the internet equivalent of a New Jersey swamp.

In my opinion, humble or not, it's perfectly all right for you to stand up for yourself. There is a difference, though, between standing up for yourself on the one hand, and going on the offensive on the other. You and I have both blurred the line between those two.

For all those reasons, I think we're all better off in a forum that you aren't empowered to moderate.

I hope you don't take that as insulting, because many of the things I have said about you could apply with equal force to me. I do respect your knowledge of all things piano, and it's always useful to hear different viewpoints. Nevertheless, you seemed to be wondering why people might have issues with you as a moderator, and I hope this is a satisfactory explanation.

If you use lines like "a hyena with hiccups", you might be a redneck.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
On the contrary, Quirt, I think we'd all be MUCH better off on a forum Larry could moderate.

Bearing in mimd that the vast majority of my time here is spent in the Piano Forum, what I've seen Larry get ticked off at is not so much people who disagree with him as those who are simply argumentative. Style over substance. Trolls.. people who seek only to cause trouble or promote their own agenda without contributing anything of value.

A forum devoid of these types sounds like BB nirvana to me.

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
Q
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Q
You and I obviously have different perspectives, perhaps because most of your time is spent in the Piano Forum, while most of mine was spent in the Coffee Room. And my comments were not directed towards Larry's contributions to the Piano Forum.

But, if you think that a forum moderated by Larry would be BB nirvana, you are in luck, because such a forum now exists. Time will tell where the majority of Coffee Room participants will migrate.

If you use lines like "a hyena with hiccups", you might be a redneck.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I don't know what there will be to talk about if there is no argument... the new forums remind me of the Oprah Show, Jerry Springer and one of those reality shows... where a camera just watches members... never really watch tv, but I used to when I was lactating.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Jeffrey Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Larry: I believe my comment was factually accurate. I was not editorializing, or saying whether this is good or bad. I was stating what the strengths and weaknesses of the different sites were. The weaknesses of you site are (1) no obvious distinguishing mark from PW itself, with a lower starting critical mass and (2) feelings (valid or not, I am talking results, not morality) about you. The strength is that you have a reason to generate new blood, which the other two lack, at least at present.

As an idea the other sites could co-operatively link to other piano or music playing sites (violins, drums, etc.) to get more members of the right type.

I have thoughts about how to monetize such a site (it is quite difficult), but I will leave that to others. There is clearly a demand for the type of site that the CR was.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Is there time to let the marketplace determine which site will win out? I suspect it will happen pretty quickly, determined in part by which has the best head start but also by "accessibility" (access reliability).

Once the base consolidates, then might be the time to address site marketing and funding.

Just some thoughts.

(watch this space)
It will be hard to survive..

One thing that drew in so many diverse personalities was the tension and the hot topics. That's what made this place special..too bad it killed it too.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by MusicMagellan:
Is there time to let the marketplace determine which site will win out? I suspect it will happen pretty quickly, determined in part by which has the best head start but also by "accessibility" (access reliability).

Once the base consolidates, then might be the time to address site marketing and funding.

Just some thoughts.
Same thoughts I expressed in one of the other rooms, lord knows which one. whome smokin

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by apple*:
... never really watch tv, but I used to when I was lactating.
eek

That's a line I didn't expect to encounter. laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'd say that's enough of a consensus then.

(watch this space)
just a few last giggles....

I'm an energizer bunny,,, when I sit and watch tv, I usually fall asleep. Shoot I'll fall asleep at concerts (as I'm sure Brendan noticed).

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by apple*:
...Shoot I'll fall asleep at concerts ...
I've done the same. Slept through the entire one-time-only Eric Burdon and The Animals reunion concert in Austin some years back. Front row center. Band played louder and louder trying to wake me up. Woke up when the roadies were clearing the last of the equipment. But I wasn't lactating. :p

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ChickGrand:
Same thoughts I expressed in one of the other rooms, lord knows which one. whome smokin
Eeee Gads. Ain't that the truth. laugh Here's jodi - click, click, click cursing and blast, I KNOW I posted about that somewhere, but which room? I can't find it! click, click, click

cursing

laugh Jodi

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by jodi:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by ChickGrand:
<strong>Same thoughts I expressed in one of the other rooms, lord knows which one. whome smokin
Eeee Gads. Ain't that the truth. laugh Here's jodi - click, click, click smokin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission