2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 17 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jeffrey Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
(1) jgoo's. Has the most people at present. Easy link (www.coffee-room.com). Seems to have technical problems, but these should be resolved. Long-term weakness: no obvious way to drive future new traffic beyond current members from PW.

(2) Cindy's. Nice interface. Easier to follow posts and threads than jgoo site. Weakness: same as jgoo's site. Also has fewer PW posters at present.

(3) Larry's. Best interface. Because it has a piano focus like PW, it has a potential reason to generate new traffic. It remains to be seen if it will do so. Weakness: many current PW members have issues with the founder of the site. Except for continuing a CR forum, I am not sure what it adds to PW in the total piano-internet-chat room space.

These are my opinions only. The founders of the site should take them as feedback to help improve, not as criticism of three really good tries on short notice.

I really wish PW had stayed as it was. Many meetings and friendships and parties grew out of this site, and without the CR I wonder if that will happen to the same extent.

Best wishes to all and especially Frank. - Jeffrey

NAK Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I actually like jgoo's site architecture the best. It's most intuitive for a "power user" or someone who wants to move quickly.

Allows you to "fast forward" to new posts since your last posting on a thread, interface is skinnable (very cool).
But has the drawbacks you've mentioned.

Cindy's site looks nice, but isn't very intuitive in terms of design/layout.
Lacking features you might expect, and is way too female oriented (come on... "eve"??... and purple everywhere??) laugh

Larry's site has made huge progress in the last 24 hours, but is lacking people and ease of use.

Jgoo's still wins, but only as a short term solution.

Unfortunately everyone rushed out to start their own rather than discuss as a group (as if they were waiting to do so).

Some of us more tech oriented could help a lot to build a proper site with it's own domain. Everyone working together, with a desire to build something more long lasting could really create a "home" for everyone I think.
But as it stands we have 3 sites that have been thrown together quickly, with only one really suitable as a replacement right off the bat (jgoo's)

Just my humble opinion of course, and subject to change hourly as the 3 new forums do.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
i hope you'll help us Caviar

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I didn't even know cindy had a site. I never saw a posting in regard to it. I like jgoos site as it moves quickly and it seems very simple to use. I have not been to Larry's as I just don't have that much time to devote to more than 1 site. But I will follow the crowd. I'd hate to lose contact with all the great friends I have made here in PW.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I've offered to... I'd like to.

Perhaps I'm not as helpful as I think, as nobody has yet asked me to! smile

I reposted my review in the appropriate place btw.

J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
KB, can we get back onto jgoo's or is it down for good? I can't find it. help help help

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
been reading their support forum... server's still down as far as I know.
It's a global thing for them, it's not just jgoo's forum.

These things happen, especially with free hosting (one of the things you pay for when you buy hosting is server redundancy so that this exact thing doesn't happen).

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
My thoughts. Repost:

OK, all you business and technical geniuses. Let's build us a web site. We'll start with one of these guys and lets figure out how to make it attractive to new posters but also turn a profit.

I've started businesses before (though never anything web based.) It's not that hard. We can see if we can generate some ad revenues, maybe even sell some stuff.

Let's be creative with this.

I don't want to compete with Frank. I think something different is in order.

Jeffrey Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
*shudders*

I agree with TomK. There is really no reason for another *piano* site between PW and some other long-standing piano forums we all know about. jgoo's site is easy to use and has passed the "vote with your feet" test - many more people went to his site than the others. The key issue is sustainability with new members and possibly some cash flow. Key questions: why was the CR in PW successful? How do we drive new traffic to the site, while keeping membership standards fairly high and interesting?

I'll definitely do all my piano discussing here.. I do have one and do play.

certainly find Jgoo's to be user friendly and such.. and for once, I agree with Tomk

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Tom, let's figure it out.
Seriously, I'd like to help out with something like that in whatever limited capacity I can.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The key issue is sustainability with new members and possibly some cash flow. Key questions: why was the CR in PW successful? How do we drive new traffic to the site, while making membership standards fairly high and interesting?
Easily your best post to date, Jeffrey. I agree that the best -- maybe the only -- way to drive new traffic to the site, while making membership standards fairly high and interesting, is to bribe them.

(watch this space)
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by apple*:
and for once, I agree with Tomk
apple,

his is the second time you agreed with me...you also agreed that I was the hottest guy on the internet. smile
[Linked Image]

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
How do we drive new traffic to the site, while keeping membership standards fairly high and interesting?

We could sell atom splitting equipment or brain surgery tools (on second thought, those people are boooooring).

Better to light one small candle than to curse the %&#$@#! darkness. :t:
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
promote it as a place to discuss current events

promote it as a place for music lovers (not just pianists)

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. - Beverly Sills
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Jeffrey:
How do we drive new traffic to the site, while keeping membership standards fairly high and interesting?
If we build it they will come........ wink

How now, brown cow.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Jeffrey:
Key questions: why was the CR in PW successful? How do we drive new traffic to the site, while keeping membership standards fairly high and interesting?
Really Good Questions !! I *shudder* to suggest this ... but would a *survey* be in order?

I liked this website b/c after I bought my piano, I then tuned into the PF as I was keen on practice/learning. Then I tuned into the CR to talk with people who simply loved pianos & piano music. Then I discovered I shared other interests with these people. So I think the answers have something to do with Piano People> Piano Music>Music>Other Interests.

smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Fizzygirl,

Some of us are at

www.welltemperedforum.com

Fair reviews, Jeffrey.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by JBryan:
[b]How do we drive new traffic to the site, while keeping membership standards fairly high and interesting?

We could sell atom splitting equipment or brain surgery tools (on second thought, those people are boooooring). [/b]
Spam everyone with Tom's photo. No women will be able to resist and there will be so many that the rest of us will have some leftovers.

jf

"Make the pie higher." GWB
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission