2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,971 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
#81512 04/24/08 03:40 AM
Hi, found this while surfing the internet (Larry Fine's "The Piano Book 2007-2008").

For layman like myself, it may provide some useful information.

http://www.bolpianos.nl/assets/nieuws/the%20piano%20book%20larry%20fine.pdf

#81513 04/24/08 07:40 AM
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
From keeferae:
For layman like myself, it may provide some useful information.
I don't think the ranking in 4C is relevant here because as I commented in this thread on the previous page " Hailun was just introduced on the US market when the last edition was released."

schwammerl.

#81514 04/24/08 09:27 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Of all the things that must try the patience of Larry Fine, this website must be high on the list. Ron Bol is the lord and master of Perzinaville. Music Brokers Intl. is his umbrella company which maintains headquarters in Lenzen, Germany, does its manufacturing in China, has a history of excerpting Fine quotes and selected quotes of certain members of this forum in its promotional materials, puts a German city name (Schwerin) on the fallboard of its 'German' pianos, and claims to be a European piano by virtue of European components such as Detoa actions which Detoa itself denies supplying.

It must be extremely difficult for Mr. Fine to evaluate pianos with complete objectivity when his intellectual property is exploited in this way.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
#81515 04/24/08 09:34 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
...anyway smile , I'm seriously thinking about buying a Wendl & Lung Professional 2 (178cm) in preference to an old (1930) German grand (Thürmer) I've been considering. My budget will not allow me to consider a more exotic purchase.

Michael
#81516 04/24/08 09:42 AM
I played these pianos at the recent NAMM show and found them to be surprisingly nice. I am extremely skeptical of chinese pianos having been burned by so many. Two things we don't know: 1) how much "prep" did it take to make them play as they did. 2)Will the tuning, regulation of the action last. Inferior pianos have a tendancy to deteriorate rapidly after the technician has spent costly hours making them play well. I would suggest you consider one of the new Cable-Nelson pianos for your $3100. They are designed and built by Yamaha. Certainly a more known comodity.

Dennis C.
Piano Store Operator,
Former District Manager,
20 Year Industry Experience

"Tell the truth, honor God, and make money!"
#81517 04/24/08 09:55 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Pianopro,

The NAMM show is a show for industry professionals. If you are one, you should probably state that in your signature here. It certainly would not de-value your opinions in the least, and I don't believe you have to be all that specific. It just gives everyone the opportunity to take your comments in context.

BTW, in the context of your comments about Chinese pianos, it would probably be good to mention where the CN 116 is built and that actual selling prices vary among dealers.

#81518 04/24/08 12:14 PM
Turandot,

Thank you!

Was not trying to hide, just became a member today!

Cable Nelson pianos are also made in China. There are some nice differences though. Even when the Yamaha uprights were made in Thomaston, GA. the critical components (hammers, pre-strung plate, action parts) were made in Japan and shipped to the US for final assembly in a case made here in the USA. Yamaha has managed to keep quality controll at a high level regardless of where they make their products.

Yes, prices may vary from dealer to dealer. Shipping costs are not "averaged" for pianos like they are for car dealers. A store in Michigan for example would pay more freight than say San Diego. However, Yamaha does NOT grossly inflate MSRPs, so I stand by my statement that these pianos would be at least "competitive" in this price range.

Dennis C.
Piano Store Operator,
Former District Manager,

#81519 04/24/08 12:15 PM
BTW, Namm shows are not just for industry "insiders". Guest passes can be obtained.

Dennis C.
Piano Store Operator,
Former District Manager,

#81520 04/24/08 12:39 PM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Hi PianoPro aka Dennis,

I see you're from Iowa. Welcome to the forum. Where in our fair state do you hail from and by any chance would you be interested in joining a piano party on May 2nd? See this link for more information.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/21486.html

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
#81521 04/24/08 01:33 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Dennis,

Let me welcome you here too and thanks for you disclosure.. I'll try to hit you up for a guest pass to NAMM next year. laugh

#81522 04/24/08 10:52 PM
I don't think the ranking in 4C is relevant here because as I commented in this thread on the previous page " Hailun was just introduced on the US market when the last edition was released."
--------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Schwammer,

Thanks for pointing out. Also, as have been pointed out in this forum previously, perhaps we should just take the info at face value.

As for Hailun pianos, which have been given some pretty good reviews here, the ranking seems a little low (just my opinion). There is also no mention of Wendl&Lung, which is Austian-owned but made by Hailun, and which its upright model 122 Universal gets a pretty good rating.

http://www.lesmaitresdupiano.net/attachments/diapason-or.pdf

Nevertheless, I thought some other info provide an interesting read.

Cheers

#81523 04/24/08 11:09 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I don't think the ranking in 4C is relevant
I think Mr. Fine might agree with you. I recall him mentioning that in the instance of certain brands (Hailun included) there was a rush to get them mentioned at all. His aim was to get as many brands included as possible. If his considered opinion matches that of those of us who have played them, they will probably get a bump the next time around.

Incidentally, the W&L you have in your Singapore market is probably not appreciably different from the Hailun. Your W&L's don't seem to get the Viennese holiday for final inspection. I kind of doubt that Mr. Fine will be travelling to Singapore to audition them. He has enough headaches right here. laugh

#81524 04/25/08 04:28 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by turandot:
Incidentally, the W&L you have in your Singapore market is probably not appreciably different from the Hailun. Your W&L's don't seem to get the Viennese holiday for final inspection.
I'm not convinced that *any* W&L pianos get inspected in Vienna on their way for delivery elsewhere - and I can't track down where this rumour came from. On page 3 of this thread Mario said that the Hailun people were trained by W&L folk to do the quality inspections, and I'm more inclined to believe that's true. Sending everything to Vienna to be opened up, checked, repacked and despatched would add a lot to the price.

John
#81525 04/25/08 09:27 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
John EB,

It was your compatriot Schwammerl. I don't think it's a rumor. It's the way W&L states that they do business in Europe.

from Schwammerl
all W&L pass through W&L-Vienna for final check-up and regulation before being shipped to dealers in Europe

#81526 04/25/08 10:24 AM
OK, I gotta weigh in on this one. Trust me when I tell you that Hailun is just the flavor of the day. I see them come, I see them go. In my store, I carry cheaper asian pianos for the same reason every other dealer does. Not everyone is in the same "rent district".

Now, I am going to answer the question that has thus far gone unanswered. Why do I carry the Chinese/Indonesian piano I do?

First, I represent a piano that I have confidence in the management team in the US. It is a choice I made based on years of industry relationships. Our #1 piano will continue to be Yamaha, but the Sohmer and Kohler and Campbell pianos I get from Dick Christian and the Samick Music Corporation are supported by people in the US I trust. I need a part, I get one. I have constructive criticism, I can share it and see them make appropriate adjustments.

Second, these pianos are made in Indonesia. I have found that the Chinese makes are a step behind Indonesia. I can't explain why except for maybe Yamaha several years ago started making the GP1, GA1, and later the GB1 in Indonesia and gave this area of the world a bit of a boost. I'm certain it has a lot to do with the preparation (kiln drying) of the wood prior to manufacturing.

Several years ago, my company tried the first pianos Young chang made in this area. after uncrating them, we litterally watched the key stocks warp and make the highest octave unplayable. We had similar problems with early Pearl River pianos. In an overview, there was a general lack of attention to detail. Since that time, I have seen more of the same come and go while more US companies close.

Here is the best advice I feel I can offer the sincere consumer out there. For upright pianos (consoles, studios, and professional uprights) I suggest you choose a Yamaha. Your not going to save much of anything price wise by going to Pearl River, Hamilton (cheap Baldwins from China)Hailun, and so on. Yamaha now has pianos in every price range and the quality assurance is a bit more known. Their critical components are still made in Japan and installed in a cabinet they can build anywhere in the world. Because currently there is still a price disparity on small grands, I'd go with an older established company that is now making products in Indonesia. They may cost slightly more than the Chinese counterparts, but I am convinced they are worth it.I personally like the Sohmers I get from Samick. Of course this post may become dated in a couple of months when the new cable Nelson grands arrive from Yamaha!

These are my opinions. Good luck!

Dennis C.
Piano Store Operator,
Former District Manager,

#81527 04/25/08 10:51 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
from pianopro
Trust me when I tell you that Hailun is just the flavor of the day. I see them come, I see them go. In my store, I carry cheaper asian pianos for the same reason every other dealer does. Not everyone is in the same "rent district".
I see no particular reason to trust you (or distrust you). You're here all of two days and you use a long-running thread on a competitive product to talk up Yamaha and your competing Indonesian products.

Hailun pianos have genuine Hailun parts just as Yamaha has genuine Yamaha parts. You can find Hailun parts in some pretty high-priced pianos, even if the makers of those pianos don't advertise their Hailun upgrades in their promotional literature. wink
There's a Yamaha salesman resident of this forum who used to pick on Hailun regularly. Then one day his employer decided to carry the line. Now he sheds his blood (represents) for both brands. His name is Kenny Blankenship. Ye has seen the light. laugh You should use the community directory to send him a PM and become enlightened too.

#81528 04/25/08 11:42 AM
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
From PianoPro:
Second, these pianos are made in Indonesia. I have found that the Chinese makes are a step behind Indonesia. I can't explain why except for maybe Yamaha several years ago started making the GP1, GA1, and later the GB1 in Indonesia and gave this area of the world a bit of a boost. I'm certain it has a lot to do with the preparation (kiln drying) of the wood prior to manufacturing.
Several years ago, my company tried the first pianos Young chang made in this area. after uncrating them, we litterally watched the key stocks warp and make the highest octave unplayable. We had similar problems with early Pearl River pianos. In an overview, there was a general lack of attention to detail.
Perhaps I am a bit slow today because of the first spring sun, but I do not follow the logic here.

We should be carefull with Chinese pianos because you had problems with a KOREAN piano (Young Chang) and a CHINESE one (Pearl River) ...so all Chinese pianos are questionable??

And because Yamaha has a factory in Indonesia, all pianos produced in Indonesia are OK???

schwammerl.

#81529 04/26/08 02:04 AM
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Guys, I'm getting such a charge out of this. I just have to wonder when Schwammerl is going to accuse PianoPro of "prejudice". Pianopro is at least a little more off the hook so to speak because unlike me he HAS played more of the Chinese instruments, but his observations thus far, at least to me, seem predictable. At least no one has accused him of being me with a new screen name. (Maybe we were twins separated at birth?) I just wish he'd been around on the Steinway Character Assasination thread. Welcome PianoPro!!

I just was chatting with a friend that has been consulting on a job in China. It seems that $50 million was invested in a factory that was dealing with chemicals in flat-screen production. The factory was spec'd by a Dutch firm, but they used all Chinese pumps for their processes. Within months the factory was idled with heavy losses. It seems that NONE of the Chinese equipment met the specs and was heavily corroded. They gutted the entire plant and started over, but not using the Chinese for suppliers for any of the equipment. No dear friends, it's not piano related, but it does relate to an overarching philosophy, and that philosophy is not necessarily to be the "best". So, when I get attacked for my "wait and see" attitude, every time I turn around it is justified.

Prejudice has no place, nor does jingoism. The Germans for instance have earned a great reputation OVER TIME for quality. If you were to ask what the reputation of the Chinese is today, you would not likely hear quality at the top of the list. Maybe in the decades to come, that WILL be the case, but pretending otherwise today just doesn't make any sense. Reputations are earned folks. The more items that they make lacking quality, the more difficult it will be to earn that reputation. It was in our lifetimes after all that the Japanese had a reputation for making some really shoddy stuff especially post-war thru the late 60's. It all changed developmentally in the 70's and onward. The reputation for quality and consistency is likely rivaled by no one at this point.It took time and dedication to quality and the desire to be the best.

As to Yamaha's Indonesian factories, I would say that the last thing that Yamaha would want to do would be to squander it's vaunted reputation supplying shoddy pianos. For that reason I would tend to believe that those pianos are of a higher quality than their Chinese contemporaries, or better said, I would feel more assured putting my money into their products.

#81530 04/26/08 03:03 AM
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
It seems that NONE of the Chinese equipment met the specs and was heavily corroded. They gutted the entire plant and started over, but not using the Chinese for suppliers for any of the equipment.
John,

They probably listened to you as (from Hailun's site)and opted for Japanese equipment wink :
Since 2001, Hailun has invested heavily in Japanese digital equipment and production lines.
schwammerl.

#81531 04/26/08 03:24 AM
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
>If you were to ask what the reputation of the Chinese is today, you would not likely hear quality at the top of the list. Maybe in the decades to come, that WILL be the case,...

I think that this trend is already underway, exemplified in the "second generation" instruments - those with significant oversight or control by non-Chinese. Of course time will still be needed, to learn the true tale.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission