2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 2,020 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#81412 02/10/08 06:16 PM
OP Offline
I am currently considering purchasing a Hailun 48" upright (Model H-1E). I know little is know about these pianos as of yet, but I am very pleased with the touch and the sound, particularly for the price. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these pianos and if you thought that $3100 was a good price for this instrument (I believe it is a very good price, but again, no experience with this piano).

#81413 02/10/08 06:23 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Assuming the piano is new with full warranty, I think your opinion of the piano and the price are both correct.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
#81414 02/10/08 06:33 PM
OP Offline
Yes, brand new with 15 year warranty.

#81415 02/10/08 08:10 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Well it sounds good to me, both the piano and the price, but I'm just a consumer like you and an admitted fan of Hailun. Since the loyal opposition isn't jumping in here laugh , you could enter Hailun in the search function above. There's quite a bit to read, almost all of it favorable.

Here's what a couple of industry members had to say about Hailun's products after seeing them at NAMM.

from Craigen
I spent some time in the Hailun booth. I played nearly ever instrument there. IMO they are the best playing sounding of all the Chinese instruments.
from Jeff Bauer
I was pretty surprised by the continued increase in quality with the various Chinese pianos available. Hailun was, in my opinion, the most remarkable of the bunch. When I look at these, and ask myself 'would I buy this for my own use'?, I was surprised at my own answer.
As far as I know, neither Craigen nor Jeff sell Hailun pianos.

#81416 02/10/08 09:50 PM
OP Offline
Thanks. I appreciate the opinions.

#81417 02/11/08 03:11 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hailun seems to be amongst the best of the Chinese. Of course, there are longevity and resale value issues, but with a piano this cheap, you can throw it away in 15 years and still come out ahead.

#81418 02/11/08 11:14 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Hailun seems to be amongst the best of the Chinese.
Have we seen, heard, or played one yet, or is this based on our thoughtful ordering of the 'lower Asians'?

Of course, there are longevity and resale value issues
But of course. Do we know someone whose Hailun has gotten prematurely old or simply worn out? Have we tried to sell a used one? Do we know someone who has tried to sell a used one? Why would anyone on earth want a used Hailun?

, but with a piano this cheap, you can throw it away in 15 years and still come out ahead.
Curbside pickup...or just toss in the nearest dumpster?

#81419 02/11/08 05:45 PM
M
M&B Offline
M
sweetkeys:
I'll give you something to think about.
Must of us in this Forum are piano dealers.
Chinese pianos are available in 90% of all piano retailers. Everybody is in the same boat that's why nobody tells you the truth.
Why? Because is easier to sell a cheap piano to an uneducated costumer. In other words because they can take the line of less resistance and still make some good margin.
It is harder to sell a quality product. Why? takes more knowledge and it is also harder for the buyer to justify expending the extra amout of money because they can't see the immediate benefit.
Craigen or Jeff Bauer wouldn't buy ANY of these pianos for their own personal use.
You'll probably buy one piano for the next ten years, buy a quality piano. You wouldn't be sorry.
Rent a piano and get a rental credit later. Only if you cannot afford a quality instrument now.
Good luck.

#81420 02/11/08 07:01 PM
OP Offline
I ended up purchasing a Hailun. I was very happy with my experience with it and I have a very tight budget and believe that my salesman truly was trying to make sure I had the best piano for my buck (he also sells used pianos). I'll let you know how it goes!

#81421 02/11/08 07:04 PM
B
B
Hailun, Hailun, Oh yes I was the one that has one of those! Thanks to you guys smile I Just recently got the internet back from along waiting period to get broadband. I am very happy with my Hailun piano, It has kept tune VERY well. Could just be because the famous Sally Phillips tuned my piano wink . But I have to give them A+ I love it and my a piano friend Guru wants to come over everyday to practice his music.

Thanks

-Brad-

Proud owner of Hailun 123, Thanks to everyone on Piano World!!

THANK YOU!!
#81422 02/11/08 07:07 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Hey M&B,

I knew it was only a matter of time until the loyal opposition arrived here. smile

Two questions for you

(1) Could you share with us your minimum pricepoint for a new piano shopper to obtain what you refer to as a 'quality product'? Perhaps you could supply a couple of specific piano examples to illustrate the threshold of 'quality'.

(2) Are you saying that all the pianos from China are equal, that there are no better than average, average, or less than average pianos from China? I think I recall you saying that you in fact stock a line from China. Is there any particular reason you chose that line or was it random because one's as bad as the next?

#81423 02/11/08 08:10 PM
M
M&B Offline
M
Sure! IMO the average price range to get a decent upright starts at $6,000.00

I had several lines of Chinese stuff, every year I've changed. Palatino, Samick, Story&Clark, Hardman, etc. Perhaps you can prep them and one is better than the other but in the long run they all boxes with keys. Including the K-15 and K-2.
Plus also when you sell good stuff you don't have to lie and spin. You know! German this, German that, Scale design by Mr. BJstein. etc.
But I'm preaching to the choir. Who is going to really ask for Hailun? laugh I realized sweetkeys is a phony that came here to put the name of Hailun out there. Just like they do with the Brodmann.

#81424 02/11/08 08:38 PM
M
M&B Offline
M
By the way Turandot I guess Craigen let you down in this thread.
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/21057.html#000007

OH! Probably he forgot about Hailun laugh

#81425 02/11/08 09:16 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
My goodness, M&B. I thought I was an avid reader. It seems you have discovered that the roots of sweetkeys' Hailun interest run deep.

So let me get this straight. Sweetkeys is a dealer selling Hailun who has gone undercover posing as a customer who wants to buy a Hailun.

M&B is a dealer who has gone undercover in terms of exact industry affiliation to fight against the corruption and greed of fellow retailers.

Craigen is a tech who is pandering to the evil dealer establishment.

Jeff Bauer is a dealer who wishes to endorse Hailun so that he can sell fewer of his own T118 inventory.

Have I got it right?
Am I the only one not in costume? laugh

Anyway, thanks for your answer to the question about pricepoint. I guess you're thinking U1 and K3. Is that about it would you say?
smile

#81426 02/11/08 09:51 PM
M
M&B Offline
M
Wait a second! I just brought up Jeff and Craigen because YOU quoted them in order to support your opinion about Hailun.
Look man! I don't post for the people of the forum to love me. For love I have a beautiful wife and kids.
I say it how it is.
If Jeff like the development in Chinese pianos, I simply don't care.

--------This section of the thread has been deleted as requested by Craigen and the moderator----------------------------------------

In regard to the K-3 and U-1. IMO the K-3 is a good value and the Yamaha U-1 is a slightly better built. Ha! but not much! wink

The K-5 is what I'll call a solid reasonably priced piano.

I believe you are not in the industry so I'll take my time to spell it for you. I personally know Reps. and dealers who had told me they come here with phony names just to create some hype of their product. I don't think you are that naive.

#81427 02/11/08 10:36 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Wait a second! I just brought up Jeff and Craigen because YOU quoted them in order to support your opinion about Hailun.
Look man! I don't post for the people of the forum to love me. For love I have a beautiful wife and kids.
I say it how it is.
I quoted Jeff and Craigen because no one was responding to sweetkeys except me. I think everyone else was busy posting under pseudonyms or entering new identities in the member base. laugh

Don't get in a lather M&B. Personally I enjoy your posts. I don't know if you say it how it is, but you sure as heck say it how you think it is, and you leave no room for misinterpretation. laugh

Let me draw you out a little more about these pianos at the threshold of 'quality'. You've established Yamaha and Kawai models that meet your standards. How 'bout them Petrof's? Worth it for a retailer to hang with them through the tough times? Worthy of consumer consideration alongside the Yamaha's and Kawai's you mentioned?

#81428 02/11/08 10:52 PM
OP Offline
FYI, I am no phony. I am a twenty-something mother of 2 with a bachelor's degree in music, emphasis in piano performance. I also teach as well as play. I personally am excited about this piano. Sorry I don't have the money to dish out on a "quality" piano. Guess I figured there are more important things in life.

#81429 02/11/08 11:24 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have reported M&B's repeated personal attacks to the moderator.

I never mind taking heat for my opinions and am not shy about criticism. I give as well as I get. I will not tollerate personal attacks that have nothing to do with the argument.

I have been tapping into this forum since 2005. In all those months I have averaged 43 posts per month. There are several working techs, that frequent this forum, that are more frequent posters who maintain viable businesses.

M&B shows that he is a dealer for Kawai. How proud they must be to read he equates their K15 and K2 with the Chinese pianos as a "box with keys." Prouder still for them to read his opinion that the Yamaha U1 is "better built" than the Kawai K3.

My comments regarding Hailun were that they were the best playing, best sounding of the Chinese pianos. I still stand by the statement. I do not find it contradictory to any other I have made on this forum. I have never worked on a Hailun and have no experience with their serviceability or durability. I never recommended them to anyone. I never said I would own one either.

Piano Technician, member Piano Technicians Guild.
#81430 02/11/08 11:35 PM
Originally posted by sweetkeys:
I personally am excited about this piano. Sorry I don't have the money to dish out on a "quality" piano. Guess I figured there are more important things in life.
Sweetkeys, don't listen to the criticism above. You now HAVE a quality piano. I would love to find a Hailun upright to try--have played their 5'10" grand, and it was really, really nice. Better than name brand grands at twice the price.

You no longer have to spend a fortune to get a great piano.

Congrats on your new addition! smile

Charles Walter Queen Anne 1520 (polished cherry)
Roland fp-4 (black)
#81431 02/12/08 12:10 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
As best I can remember, all sweetkeys did was ask for an opinion of a specfic Hailun piano at a specific price. That opinion should be the same whatever sweetkey's identity is. The opinion asked was of the piano, not the poster. If the paranoia among dealers here has reached the extremes that M&B describes. that's a completely different matter than Hailun's pianos.

Hailun sits very low on the totem pole of makers who make extravagant claims about their products. Its pianos also bear the maker's name on the fallboard. There's no phony German heritage in play. If the truth is told, I'm sure that Hailun sells more parts to non-Chinese makers than they buy from non-Chinese makers.

If a U1 were the same price as a Hailun 48", U1 might clobber Hailun in the marketplace. But then again, it might not. But the fact is a U1 is twice the price. The difference in price can be a significant consideration for a lot of people.

If piano retail cannot get behind its entry-level products and adopt what Journey has referred to as a 'pull' strategy that attracts first-time buyers, insisting instead on pushing itself down their throats relegating them to digitals or used pianos, it won't matter whether sweetkeys is a consumer or a retailer.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission