2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (brdwyguy, accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,896 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
#810660 03/12/04 02:10 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
sheesh, jbryan, read through this thread! more than one person questioned if i really am a journalist, and not in a friendly way. :rolleyes:

and i cannot believe that you think my questioning of john's credentials is the worst that has been done in the coffee room. not by a long shot! :rolleyes:

now, excuse me, but if i spend any more time here today, i won't be a journalist any longer. got a deadline and have to go. 'bye!

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
#810661 03/12/04 02:23 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Better to light one small candle than to curse the %&#$@#! darkness. :t:
#810662 03/12/04 02:36 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I can't think of a single medical or health-related procedure that doesn't carry some amount of risk. In some cases, failure to undergo a procedure carries a statistically higher risk than the risk from complications, side effects or aftereffects of undergoing a procedure. These complications, side effects or aftereffects may be either physical or mental. Every patient, regardless of the procedure, deserves to be as informed as possible of any risk, both from the procedure or foregoing the procedure in order to make an appropriate decision by weighing the various risks against each other.

The question at hand, though, is not about the ethics or morality of any procedure, nor of comparing the procedure's risks against the risks of another procedure. It is, rather, one of the wisdom of allocating research funds to determine if, in fact, there is any statistically provable causality between a procedure and a latent risk.

But, unfortunately, abortion is a hot-button issue, and the rhetoric on both sides often flares up and obfuscates the real issue. So, if we were to examine the same question about the worthwhileness of research and apply it to a similarly complicated but less divisive procedure, perhaps this can be discussed in a less acrimonious manner.

So, let's discuss whether it is worthwhile to fund research that seeks to determine if there is an identifiable risk of developing breast cancer after undergoing tonsillectomy*. A possible causality has already been identified linking tonsillectomy to changes in the body's immune system. Another causality has been identified linking changes in the immune system to the development of breast cancer. The research in question would seek to prove or disprove a statistically valid correlation to undergoing tonsillectomy and a subsequent increased risk of breast cancer.

Regardless of the motivation of the person proposing the funding of such research, and regardless of one's personal ethics regarding tonsillectomy, does it sound like research in this area should be funded by the public? Then, by extension, should surgeons feel compelled to inform their tonsillectomy patients about the possibility of an increased risk of breast cancer even if the research is not even underway?

So, have at it, boys and girls. Reread this entire thread and replace the word "abortion" with "tonsillectomy" in every post. Do anyone's arguments ring true? Or, has nearly every poster in this thread had more to say about their opinions regarding tonsillectomies?

----------------------------------------
*-Please note that I am in no way attempting to trivialize the moral and ethical implications of abortion by comparing it with tonsillectomy.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. - Clemens
#810663 03/12/04 03:05 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Matt G.:

So, have at it, boys and girls. Reread this entire thread and replace the word "abortion" with "tonsillectomy" in every post. Do anyone's arguments ring true? Or, has nearly every poster in this thread had more to say about their opinions regarding tonsillectomies?

----------------------------------------
*-Please note that I am in no way attempting to trivialize the moral and ethical implications of abortion by comparing it with tonsillectomy.
The government pays for both tonsillectomies and abortions. Those who feel that they should have a say in how monies that are voluntarily or involuntarily collected from them are spent, might be more likely to articulate an opinion about abortion.... at least it has proved so thus far.

Intense national debate is necessary on many issues. We arrive at a consensus, (kicking and screaming sometimes), through the politicians we elect to legislate the parameters of our freedoms and regulations. So .... I don't know if any surgical procedure should be examined as thoroughly as we do this one.

In Berlin, near the end of WWII, 10,5 miles of Russian artillary surrounded the city, ready to invade. Within the parameters of the city were 2.5 million women and not many men to protect them. You can be sure many, many abortions were performed without much public scrutiny or protest.

I think this an issue that demands intense debate and scrutiny.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
#810664 03/12/04 03:30 PM
Jolly Offline OP
OP Offline
Gee, I'd like to sit in on one of pique's college classes, especially when the subject of journalism and ethics arises.

Let me see if I get this right...

1. A woman who denies her Jewishness consatntly harps upon the intentions and ethics of those who would question anything Jewish.

2. A woman who would subvert the normal, legal channels, in her efforts to obtain her bootleg piano, at the lowest possible price.

3. A woman, who can define morality, the precursor of ethics, yet bases her morality on nothing more than the whim of the moment. Her whim, of course.

4. A woman who tends to post her thoughts, then will rapidly erase her writings, as if they were not there - leaving many of us in the old days before Frank stopped letting us whack the response line, scratching our heads.

Is it ethical to lash out, and then not stay to back it up?

5. A woman who will question the training and ethics of others, yet not hold herself to the same standards. There is no doubt that Dr. Moonlight is a physician, that I can determine.

I do have trouble considering someone a "journalist" who can't recognize a shift key on a keyboard.

6. A woman who champions Planned Parenthood, an organization built on the same Eugenics thinking that propelled the Waffen SS - guess those 6 million Jews didn't matter after all, did they?

Nah pique, I think you are a fine, upstanding paragon of virtue. wink wink wink wink wink wink

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
#810665 03/12/04 04:02 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Larry:

Pique, I'm not "rushing to my buddy's rescue", I'm simply pointing out the facts. You and Kathy have *far* from set any record straight - Kathy's info is not from the CDC, it is from Planned Parenthood, the single most biased pro-abortion organization in the country. Kathy has already admitted that she didn't do any in depth research for her data, but quickly scanned it, and I have already given you a source for numerous links proving the link between breast cancer and abortions.
Larry you really ought to read before you spout. When I said I had quickly done the research to provide the links I provided, I was referring to the statistics comparing the relative risks to the woman of abortion vs. full-term pregnancy, and the sites I gave were from: World Health ORganization, Women's News, National Library of Medicine and CDC.

As to the breast cancer link which IS from Planned Parenthood, it is a very thorough article (which I'm sure you also didn't bother to read) and probably has a better and more thorough summary of the the whole issue than anything else you'd be able to find short of scouring the medical journals and redoing their research. One thing I will agree with you on - they have an agenda all right - women's health, and to suggest that they would hide evidence such as this is ludicrous.

#810666 03/12/04 04:09 PM
Jolly Offline OP
OP Offline
One thing I will agree with you on - they have an agenda all right - women's health, and to suggest that they would hide evidence such as this is ludicrous.
Yeah, they have an agenda all right. Do a bit of research, and find out a few facts about their founder, and her prinicples at the inception of the organization.

She and Himmler would have been great buddies.

Eugenics creates strange bedfellows. Or maybe not so strange.

#810667 03/12/04 04:11 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Jolly,

Was that mean-spirited personal attack on pique really necessary? :rolleyes:

#810668 03/12/04 04:16 PM
Jolly Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by bcarey:
Jolly,

Was that mean-spirited personal attack on pique really necessary? :rolleyes:
Yes, it was.

I did not write a single word, that was not true.

Stone, cold, truth.

Right now, after pique's silly attack on Dr. Moonlight's credentials, and her pooh-poohing of the motives of those in the healing profession, I have lost my patience.

I am most certainly in an Old Testament mood.

#810669 03/12/04 04:22 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Jolly:
Fortunately, we live in an era of dispensation....

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. - Clemens
#810670 03/12/04 04:25 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Do a bit of research, and find out a few facts about their founder, and her prinicples at the inception of the organization.

She and Himmler would have been great buddies.

Eugenics creates strange bedfellows. Or maybe not so strange.
She sounds pretty admirable to me. This, of course, is from PP's website. Let's see what you can come up with. A snippet:

"Margaret Sanger and her sister, Ethel Byrne, both nurses, and a third woman, Fania Mindell, open the first birth control clinic in America in the Brownsville community of Brooklyn, New York. They provide contraceptive advice to desperately poor, immigrant women who line up hours before the clinic doors open.

All three, Byrne, Mindel, and Sanger are arrested and indicted under New York State's 1873 "Comstock Law," which forbids the dissemination of birth control information. Sanger's arrest is her second for violating a Comstock law: two years earlier she was indicted under a federal Comstock statute for sending birth control information through the U.S. mails in her publication, The Woman Rebel."

Read the whole history. It's not only fasinating but makes me all the more grateful to the people who founded the organization and keep it going.

History or Reproductive Rights

P.S. Their director (can't remember her name anymore - maybe JF will) spoke at our law school commencement in 1990. She was dignified, well-spoken and keenly intelligent - I was honored.

#810671 03/12/04 04:26 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Posted by JBryan: I have to say that I was taken aback by the attack on John. It is one thing to question his facts and his conclusions and it is perfectly legitimate to do so. It is quite another matter to question his professionalism generally and even broadly hint that he may not be a medical professional at all. I found this to be especially stunning in light of the fact that I was given to understand that the more leftward leaning members of this forum were incapable of such nastiness and particularly coming from one who complains the loudest about such nastiness. In fact, reading through this thread, I would have to say that the pro-choice side of this argument has no lack of viciousness.
I know JBryan said this a while back, and I'm signing on late (somebody's gotta go to work around here!) but I think it's very well stated. Good job, dude.

And to other news:

kathy's: "Tom, as utterly cadish as you will be,"

or pique's: "not too bright, are you, tommie?"

aren't very nice statements either.

I was hurt. frown

#810672 03/12/04 04:28 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Tom, Sweety, I thought you took pride in being cadish. frown

#810673 03/12/04 04:30 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I'm an OPTIMIST, not a cad! (Same thing only the former is better phrased!)

kathy, when you're not PO'ed you're cute...when you're PO'ed..your beautiful. smile

Jack can come over to my house and beat me up any time he chooses.

#810674 03/12/04 04:32 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Matt G,
I appreciate your recent post ..... You have the ability to see through the rhetoric, re-focus my thinking, and provide insight through your analogy ..... Thank you.

#810675 03/12/04 04:44 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Then, do get out the "good" book and read from the New Testament. Your mood needs a change.

#810676 03/12/04 04:52 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Science Schmience! This pretty well sums up what Brownbeck's proposal is all about - politics as usual - been there done that!

With Friends like this . . . ?

Some of you guys would really like to put us (at least us women) back in the Stone Ages. [Linked Image]

#810677 03/12/04 05:12 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

Let me see if I get this right...
nope. you got every single last one of them wrong. and in so posting, you revealed just how closed-minded and blindered you are. everything you wrote is a distortion.

1. A woman who denies her Jewishness consatntly harps upon the intentions and ethics of those who would question anything Jewish.
i've never denied my jewishness. if i had, you wouldn't know that i am jewish. and "constantly" is hardly an accurate characterization. when someone makes an anti-semitic remark i point it out. that's the only way people learn.

2. A woman who would subvert the normal, legal channels, in her efforts to obtain her bootleg piano, at the lowest possible price.
i purchased a piano for sale at a dealer's, and took the known risks that it might turn out to be the equivalent of buying a used piano. there's nothing illegal about that, nor unethical. plenty of reputable dealers buy european pianos without going through the u.s. distributor. altenburg's who you have recommended, does the same thing.

3. A woman, who can define morality, the precursor of ethics, yet bases her morality on nothing more than the whim of the moment. Her whim, of course.
you obviously know nothing about my moral compass. but i can tell you that as solid as it is, it has nothing to do with god, jesus, or the bible. if that makes it "whim" to you, then you are entitled to your definitions, but that doesn't make them accurate.

4. A woman who tends to post her thoughts, then will rapidly erase her writings, as if they were not there - leaving many of us in the old days before Frank stopped letting us whack the response line, scratching our heads.
i haven't removed a single line i've written here. and most of us at piano world have removed a post at one time or another. there's nothing wrong with that.

Is it ethical to lash out, and then not stay to back it up?
here i am. however, i don't think any of us is obligated to hang around here indefinitely answering inane responses that reveal that the poster didn't read what we wrote in the first place. it becomes pointless after a while. furthermore, some of us actually have better things to do than spend all our waking hours at piano world.

5. A woman who will question the training and ethics of others, yet not hold herself to the same standards. There is no doubt that Dr. Moonlight is a physician, that I can determine.
i question the training and ethics of others when the evidence suggests it is appropriate. i still maintain it is appropriate here. you are free to disagree.

as for holding myself to the same standards, my professional training and ethics have been questioned here plenty of times. i've stuck around and explained myself. i've never taken it personally. it really doesn't matter to me whether people believe i am what i say i am or not, because i already know who i am. so, why should it bother johnnie one bit if i question who he is? i don't see what all the fuss is about, really.

no, don't bother trying to explain it to me.

I do have trouble considering someone a "journalist" who can't recognize a shift key on a keyboard.
this one has been explained before. i type very quickly, usually while doing telephone interviews and there is no time to use the shift key, plus my word processor is programmed to provide capital letters automatically after periods. therefore, i've fallen out of the habit of using the shift key. i don't need it for my work, because the computer takes care of it for me. and i don't need it here, because if it bothers any one of you, you can just skip my posts. i don't care if you read them or not.

6. A woman who champions Planned Parenthood, an organization built on the same Eugenics thinking that propelled the Waffen SS - guess those 6 million Jews didn't matter after all, did they?
by definition, someone who has to constantly invoke hitler and the holocaust to make their point doesn't have much of a leg to stand on. that's a weak-minded way of making an argument. surely you can do better than that? i believe kathyk's done an admirable job of answering this one already.

Nah pique, I think you are a fine, upstanding paragon of virtue. wink
too bad i can't return the compliment. you are about the worst excuse for a christian i've ever encountered. i just love it how you cloak yourself in the bible and then go around being about as uncharitable as they come. what a joke!

obviously you find my very existence as someone who lives outside the bounds of your narrow, religiously defined universe offensive. there's nothing i can do about that. there's many, many kinds of people in the world, and if you want to avoid everyone who isn't like you, you probably shouldn't come here.

but don't even try to pretend that you understand who i am.

and tommie, if i hurt your feelings, i apologize. frankly, i didnt' think a small statement like that would make much of an impression on you, in light of some of the things you have said to me!!

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
#810678 03/12/04 05:24 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Here is an article talks about the abortion/ breast cancer debacle and other deceptions that has been going on in the Bush administration. I might add that although this article casts the current administration in a bad light, I have read elsewhere about exactly what the author is talking about. Take a look.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/03/11/opinion/meyer/main605270.shtml

From November 2002 through March 2003, the National Cancer Institute's Web site posted information that suggested there was a connection between having an abortion and getting breast cancer, a connection that has long been definitively refuted.

The political context here is that anti-abortion activists had been pushing for laws requiring doctors to counsel patients about this alleged risk. So the nation's premier clearinghouse of cancer science was putting out junk science and scare propaganda. After a flurry of congressional pique, the NCI convened a three-day conference of experts and pulled the erroneous information on March 21.

#810679 03/12/04 05:32 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
how you can state that the links you provided have more veracity than planned parenthood's or the cdc (which is clearly where planned parenthood's came from, if you look at the cdc website), is beyond me.

Where on earth did you get the idea that Planned Parenthood came from the CDC? This is ridiculous.

Tonight, I'll show you where Planned Parenthood came from. You won't like it, but it will be facts - isn't facts what you're after?

Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission