2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#808310 09/07/04 09:06 AM
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Please note the new Amber Alert
scrolling at the bottom of the page in the forums.

It will automatically update if there is an alert.
Please glance at the Amber Alerts at least once a day.

Did you know you can sign up for Amber Alerts via Email and/or wireless devices that receive text alerts?
http://www.codeamber.org/email_alerts.html

<font size="+2">You just may save a life!</font>

Thank You.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Noticed it during the long week-end.
Web site with a public service conscience.
Great idea. thumb

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I noticed it last night and though I had a virus!
Thanks, Frank.

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Frank made a great site even better. As a father of two kids, it's amazing to me how difficult it is to keep both my kids wary and watchful.
As parents we should train our kids, but as a nation we should all watch out for each other's well being. Kids first.

Thanks Frank.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
what is "amber"? i haven't heard that word before. I don't know it's meaning in english.

So what's this thing about?

ss ao lr ue dt on si .u dq ar no on ra qd u. is no td eu rl oa ss
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Danor,

Amber alerts are alerts put up immediately on road signs whenever someone has been abducted or kidnapped. They ususally include information like car model, license numbers or anything available that would help motorists recognize a particular vehicle. If someone sees the vehicle in question, they can immediately notify police and they can quickly apprehend them.

It is called an Amber alert because of a case of an abduction of a child named "Amber" who if memory serves me wasn't one of the lucky ones.

It is a very good idea and it definitely has saved lives!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Great idea, Frank. Thanks.

So far here in Massachusetts, the Amber alert has been used three times, all three successfully!

BeeLady

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Amber was from the Kansas City area.. while playing on the street, she was grabbed by a thug, taken to an isolated area by the river, brutally raped and then killed. She was 11.

I believe her mother, with donations she received set up the amber alert here, so motorists could spy the license tag. she worked in conjunction with funds from the parents of Polly Klaas.

This happened shortly after a Jake was dragged and killed by a guy who stole his mother's car. The public was ready for action.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
If you have a web site and would like to add the
Amber Alert ticker (or you know of a site that might)...

Get the code here:
http://codeamber.org/ticker_code.html

For those who may not be familiar with the
Amber Alert:

The Origin of the Amber Plan
The AMBER Plan was created in 1996 as a powerful legacy to 9-year-old Amber Hagerman, a bright little girl who was kidnapped and brutally murdered while riding her bicycle in Arlington, Texas. The tragedy shocked and outraged the entire community. Residents contacted radio stations in the Dallas area and suggested they broadcast special “alerts” over the airwaves so that they could help prevent such incidents in the future.

In response to the community’s concern for the safety of local children, the Dallas/Fort Worth Association of Radio Managers teamed up with local law-enforcement agencies in northern Texas and developed this innovative early warning system to help find abducted children. Statistics show that, when abducted, a child’s greatest enemy is time.

In April, 2003, President Bush signed the Amber Alert legislation making it a national program. A full year has passed since the Amber Alert law was enacted. While the Amber Alert system is now mandated across the country, some states are still trying to implement the procedures necessary in bringing the alerts to the public. Hampered by outdated Emergency Broadcast guidelines and different activation criteria in each state, the system needs a fair amount of fine-tuning to be optimally effective. Code Amber is on the cutting edge with the technology helping to make that a reality.

We now have the Amber Alerts running at the bottom of the Forums pages. It automatically updates itself if their is a new alert.

Please check it at least once a day.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

boy - I was a font of disinformation eek ..sorry

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Just a bit more information for Danor, about the word "amber".

As well as being used for a person's name, "amber" is used to describe a yellow/orange color that is used in traffic lights ... green (Go), red (Stop), and amber (Caution). Amber is the name used for the translucent yellow/orange rock produced as tree sap petrifies. (This mineral amber played an important role in the Spielberg movie "Jurrasic Park" ... won't go into more detail here. )

So the phrase "Amber Alert" has a double meaning, which makes it stick out in peoples' minds.

Bob

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Danor,

Las alarmas del ámbar son las alarmas ponen inmediatamente en señales de carretera siempre que alguien ha sido secuestrado o ha sido raptado. Ellos ususally incluye información como el modelo de coche, como los números de la licencia o como algo disponible que ayudaría a automovilistas reconocen un vehículo particular. Si alguien ve el vehículo en cuestión, ellos pueden notificar inmediatamente a policía y ellos rápidamente los pueden prender.

Se llama una alarma del Ambar a causa de un caso de un secuestro de un niño denominó el "Ambar" que si la memoria sirve mí no era uno de los afortunados.

¡Es una idea muy buena y ha salvado definitivamente vive!

El ámbar era del área del Ciudad de Kansas.. al jugar en la calle, ella fue asida por un maleante, tomado a un área aislada por el río, brutalmente violado y entonces matado. Ella era 11.

Creo a su madre, con los donativos ella recibió el conjunto arriba la alarma del ámbar aquí, así que automovilistas podrían espiar la etiqueta de la licencia. ella trabajó en conjunción con fondos de los padres de Klaas Asta.

Esto sucedió a poco de que un Jake se arrastró y fue matado por un tipo que robó su coche de madre. El público estaba listo para la acción.

mad

Maker of the TCHAMMER
www.thomasccobble.com

BUSY IS BETTER THAN BORED
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You're right, Bob, that color on traffic signals probably is more accurately considered "amber," although we simple folk have always just called it "yellow." wink

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I usually call it the "yellow" light too, Dwain, i.e. nobody riding in my car ever hears an adrenalinized voice screaming "Hang on, folks, we're running the amber!".

I just didn't want to go into too much more detail for fear of getting the monthly "Firm grasp of the obvious" award.

Bob

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
smile

I'm new here today (but have lurked for awhile). This amber alert system is useful (Wish it were international). And I see this Texas alert is now cancelled. Perhaps someone can address this: When an alert is cancelled is there ever a explanation given for its cancellation, e.g. "This girl is now home with her parents?" I'm curious.

Cover me with kisses baby
Cover me with love
Roll me in designer sheets
I'll never get enough ...
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Blondie,

If you click the cancelled alert, you will
sometimes see details posted as to why.

Note:
There is a new Amber Alert right now (09/14), for
Southern California.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The amber alert for the 5 year old Topeka girl kidnapped by her father Wednesday ended less than half a day after it was issued when the car was spotted by a trucker in SE Wyoming and the girl was safely recovered.

That was the good news. The sad news was that both her parents are now dead, the mother killed by the father and the father suiciding later. What powerful scars this will leave on her.

Bob

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
These Amber Alert postings are a great idea. Thanks, Frank. The recent New York story, in the other thread, has been on the local news.

Although some of these child kidnappings are vengeful strikes by one partner against another, I just cannot get my brain around the wackos who use children for their sexual gratification and then, sometimes, kill them. I have not even the BEGINNING of a way to understand this, not to say that it's understandable.

Maybe I should google that question to find out how psychiatrists explain that behavior.

D
D
Quoted:...Although some of these child kidnappings are vengeful strikes by one partner against another, I just cannot get my brain around the wackos who use children for their sexual gratification and then, sometimes, kill them. I have not even the BEGINNING of a way to understand this, not to say that it's understandable....

Oh My! Very dreadful indeed! Evil!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission