2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, 10 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#801003 03/01/05 03:50 PM
Y
yhabpo Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Not long ago you were supportive of their program of enforced haircuts.
Yes, that's is a good idea. I just wish Kim wasn't completely insane.

#801004 03/01/05 03:54 PM
Y
yhabpo Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Originally posted by Renauda:
Originally posted by yhabpo:
[b] [QUOTE]
To be truthful, I might have partly supported an aggressive move against North Korea.
I agree Stalinism is a pretty nasty system. Too bad Che was more inclined towards Stalinism/Maoism than Trotskyism. Agreed? [/b]
Che stayed quite clear of NK, as far as I know. Are you bored, Rennie?

"Juche" is a joke and the North Korean state is an embarrassment to an idealogy associated to it. If the two leaders weren't so completely unintelligent, my attitude might be altered.

#801005 03/01/05 04:05 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I think all the people who think like Yahoo does should be drafted, sent to the middle east, and put out in the middle of the highway in a terrorist stronghold with no weapons.

#801006 03/01/05 04:07 PM
M
M
Hey Larry, I wish you'd stop beating around the bush and just tell us how you REALLY feel!!! wink wink

Mark

New sig line in the works....
#801007 03/01/05 04:08 PM
Y
yhabpo Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
You too, Larry?

#801008 03/01/05 04:09 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Ok..... I think people who think the way Yahoo thinks should be shot so the rest of the world is relieved of the burden of having them taking up space.

#801009 03/01/05 04:41 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by yhabpo:
[QUOTE]Che stayed quite clear of NK, as far as I know. Are you bored, Rennie?

"Juche" is a joke and the North Korean state is an embarrassment to an idealogy associated to it. If the two leaders weren't so completely unintelligent, my attitude might be altered.
Not bored but just trying to sort out exactly where you are coming from. You see, I know you are not a Muslim, as some here have suggested- if you were you would not have referred to yourself as an atheist or even a nihilist. Perhaps a cynic.

Anyhow, I agree *Juche* is just a NK spin on the Stalinist cult of personality schtick. Also Che pretty much ignored NK as he did Hoxha's Albania for similar reasons. It appears that he was more taken with the more poetic and self-destructive aspects of Maoism. Trotskyism likewise, was far too dry and intellectual for his activist tastes.

"The older the fiddle, the sweeter the music"~ Augustus McCrae
#801010 03/01/05 05:17 PM
Y
yhabpo Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
The "self-reliance" bit of Juche dooms the economy, especially if the out-dated concept of autarky is fixed in the constitution.
If we were to believe the few journalists who manages to report from NK, the masses won't be taking part in any major revolution any time soon. Perhaps we could hope for NK's self-destruction by the land invasion of Japan that II-sung has, amusingly, threatened to do.

Do you have good things to say about Castro?
His dissuasion of a personally cult and a partially sound economic plan is quite desirable.

#801011 03/01/05 05:20 PM
N
N
yahoo, you smell like cheese.

#801012 03/01/05 05:33 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Actually I do have some limited experience with Cuba through technical assistance programs in oil and gas production & environmental mangement. CUPET (Cuban Petroleum) is very receptive and open to introducing sound environmental management practices and policies for heavy oil development despite limited funds. All our engineers praise the CUPET staff for their professionalism and ingenuity. I would actually like to do more with CIDA in Cuba and plan to go to Ottawa at the beginning of April to look at that as well as a project in Bolivia with an Aboriginal Association there. As a Canadian my attitude towards Cuba is runs quite contrary to what maybe the accepted norm in this forum.

"The older the fiddle, the sweeter the music"~ Augustus McCrae
#801013 03/01/05 05:33 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Bernard:
JBryan wrote...
I think it speaks volumes about who you people really are.
'You people' as in brain dead anti-war types.
Speaks volumes about JBraindead, oops, I mean JBryan.
I take from this that you support the sentiment expressed in the picture.

Better to light one small candle than to curse the %&#$@#! darkness. :t:
#801014 03/01/05 05:51 PM
Y
yhabpo Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Disregarding Chretian's trouble with Cuba, I'd believe most Canadians have goodwill towards Cuba, continued from Trudeau.

#801015 03/01/05 06:10 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Larry:
Ok..... I think people who think the way Yahoo thinks should be shot so the rest of the world is relieved of the burden of having them taking up space.
.... or, as an alternative, perhaps they should be launched & taken up to space laugh
.... or, perhaps they come from space, and should be returned to their homeland laugh

(Really folks ... most Canadians are not like Yhabpo ... )

#801016 03/01/05 06:37 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
OPEN LETTER TO ALL SOLDIERS IN THE US LED COALITION AGAINST TERRORISM

I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for having the strength of character, wisdom, and guts to volunteer and make the sacrifices you have and are making to defend our freedoms. I'd also like to offer the same depth of thanks to your wives, husbands, mothers, fathers, brothers, and sisters, who patiently wait for you, proud one and all of you for the work you are doing. ALL of you are heros, and the world owes each and every one of you their full gratitude and respect.

Never mind the mental midgets and morons who line up to detract from what you are doing. Idiots like them have always been with us. I just want you to know that they are in the minority, and that most of us can see the importance of what you are doing.

And we can see that you are WINNING.

Everything they've whined about has been proven wrong. They said you couldn't do it, but you did. They said the people wouldn't want it, but they do. Everything they have predicted has proven to be wrong.

The desire for democracy is growing strong, and the people are taking to the streets demanding it, all across the Middle East. The government of Lebanon has fallen to the people. Egypt is planning free elections. Saudi Arabia is beginning to see the handwriting on the wall, and in other countries in the region, the people are watching. They watched the Iraqi people who were told that if they voted they would be killed, turn out by the millions and vote anyway. They want that for themselves - and some have already begun to take a stand, emboldened by what they have seen happening in Afghanistan and Iraq. Things that happened because YOU had the strength of character and wisdom to put your life on the line to make it happen.

YOU made that possible. YOU risked your lives daily, some among you gave your lives to do it, in spite of the ignorant bleating of the antiwar crowd, those hand wringing, whining, enablers of the enemy, too shortsighted because of either their political leanings or simply because they don't have the intelligence to see beyond their noses. In spite of them, you did it. You are winning.

Many of us, me included, were unable to go fight beside you. But we went with you in spirit. We might be too old to fight beside you, but we STAND beside you, and I just wanted to let you know that we will take care of these whining idiots back home. You keep doing what you're doing, and leave these morons to us.

Arabs See Beginning of New Era

By DONNA ABU-NASR
Associated Press Writer

March 1, 2005, 3:16 PM EST

KHOBAR, Saudi Arabia -- It was a scene the Arab world's autocratic regimes have dreaded -- and through the power of satellite TV, it could catch on as fast as the latest hit music video: Peaceful, enormous crowds carrying flags and flowers bringing down a government.

What happened in Lebanon this week, analysts say, is the beginning of a new era in the Middle East, one in which popular demand pushes the momentum for democracy and people's will can no longer be disregarded.

Television stations broadcast Beirut's protests live into homes, coffee shops and clubs across the Middle East, with the dramatic images of Lebanese youths wearing red-and-white scarves and waving the country's red, white and green flag as they handed out roses Monday to troops who had been ordered to block them. The coverage, lasting all day with hardly a break on some stations, culminated with the Syrian-backed government's resignation.

Inevitably, it raised the question among many spectators: What about here?

"I wish this could happen in Yemen," Ahmed Murtada, an unemployed Yemeni, said in San'a. "But here, tanks would prevail."

Anas Khashoggi, a 46-year-old management consultant in the Saudi city of Jiddah, said he followed Monday's events from beginning to end. "I wanted ... to see how the government reacts to the will of the people," he said.

Was he disappointed? "Not at all," he said.

The scenes from Lebanon come as Saudis are having their first -- albeit small -- taste of democracy. In the second round of the country's first nationwide elections ever, Saudi men go to the polls Thursday in the kingdom's east and south to choose municipal councils. The monarchy has been promising reform, but going slowly.

Newspapers in Saudi Arabia and Egypt -- authoritarian nations where the state heavily influences the press -- did not shy away from showing the protests.

"The Lebanese street joins the opposition," read the banner headline across the front page of the Saudi daily Okaz, along with photos of the Lebanese protest tents and a banner in Arabic reading, "We want the truth."

In Syria, however, the state-controlled media was largely silent. It reported on the resignation of Prime Minister Omar Karami but did not mention -- much less show pictures -- of the protests. State TV aired none of the dramatic footage the few Syrians with satellite dishes could see with a flick of the channel.

Syria has kept a firm hand on its small reform movement. But it had a rare instance of civil violence last year, when riots in March between Kurds and police spread to parts of northeastern Syria and killed at least 25 people in unrest sparked by a soccer brawl but fueled by Kurdish resentment.

"What happened in Lebanon conforms with our hopes for every Arab country," said Michel Kilo, a Syrian intellectual. "It was a rehearsal for a peaceful popular movement that unfolded right before our eyes."

The protests in Lebanon -- triggered by the assassination of the popular former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri on Feb. 14 -- come on the heels of a string of democratic steps in the Arab world, including elections in Iraq and by the Palestinians, and Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak's promise to allow multi-candidate presidential elections.

But the forcing out of Lebanon's government sets a very different precedent in a region where freedom of speech is muzzled, human rights activists are jailed and sons either succeed or are being groomed to succeed their fathers.

"For the first time in the history of the Arab world, a country's policy has come face-to-face with the will of the people who went down to the street and said: 'We don't want you,'" said Dalal al-Bizri, a Cairo-based Lebanese sociologist.

"The minimum feeling among Arab masses now will be: 'Are the Lebanese better than us?'" she said.

Many may be wary of where the people spirit takes Lebanon. If the protests drag the country into civil war or prompt a fierce Syrian response, as some critics have warned, bloodshed could scare off others.

Also, Lebanon's uniqueness in the region could lessen the events' impact. Its 3.5-million people belong to 17 sects, with large Christian and Shiite communities. Its press is the freest in the Middle East. Its issues are with external domination from Syria, not a domestic government, and the protests resulted from the explosive trigger of Hariri's murder.

Still, with television making people power visible to all, "it's a phenomenon that will catch on the way music video clips have caught on," said al-Bizri.

It may not spread quickly, however. Sherine Bilal, a 19-year-old Egyptian student, was wary of the limits imposed in her country, where protests are usually restricted to university campuses.

"Here, if we try to demonstrate, we can only do it inside these walls," Bilal said from at the American University in Cairo. "Even then, it's only about certain things."

But Dawood al-Shirian, a Saudi talk show host on Dubai TV, had a warning for Arab governments, pointing to Ukraine's Orange Revolution: "Either they embrace the orange, or they will find themselves slipping on the peels of bananas."

Copyright © 2005, The Associated Press

#801017 03/01/05 06:42 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
*That* is what I think of you Yahoo, you ignorant moron. Intelligence my eye. You don't deserve the air you get to breathe.

#801018 03/01/05 07:01 PM
I didn't find any mention of the US or its troops and their effect on the the Lebanese situation in that Associated Press article. The situation there is still pretty delicate, many want Hezbollah to join the in the leadership of the revolution.

#801019 03/01/05 08:57 PM
Y
yhabpo Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Are you that proud of installing a puppet government, Larry? Are you proud of the media and political censorship? Are you proud of the billions of dollars that was stolen from the Iraqi people? Are you proud that the Iraqi will have to rely on American monopolies to supply their basic necessities?

http://www.harpers.org/BaghdadYearZero.html

Old article, but I'll post in new thread.

#801020 03/01/05 10:32 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
We didn't install a "puppet government", you idiot. In case you hadn't heard, the Iraqi people recently voted. *They* picked their government.

Media and political censorship? You *dare* talk about that when it is *your* half assed media that won't report the *good* things that are happening. Idiots like you soak their brains in the agenda driven leftist crap you just linked to, and never see the reality of things.

Billions of dollars stolen from the Iraqi people? Who was stealing it before we went in, idiot? We haven't stolen any of their money. Only an idiot would even begin to believe that. The US has *forgiven* most if not all of their country's debt, we have pushed other countries to do the same, and we have spent billions of dollars working to help them.

Dependent on "American monopolies"? What a fool you are. You claim to be intelligent, and you're nothing more than another conspiracy theorist idiot. You don't have a clue what's happening over there, because you get all your information from a propaganda machine.

Stick to something you know, scooter. Like firewood....

#801021 03/01/05 10:43 PM
Y
yhabpo Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Media and political censorship? You *dare* talk about that when it is *your* half assed media that won't report the *good* things that are happening. Idiots like you soak their brains in the agenda driven leftist crap you just linked to, and never see the reality of things.
A democratic government that bans certain parties? Not even Neo-Nazis were banned from the German parliament, Larry. A free country that bans a major media outlet?

What exactly is my 'half assed' media, anways?

we have spent billions of dollars working to help them.
No Larry, my shortsighted fool. Billions were spent helping American contractors, whose primarily interest was in themselves, not the Iraqi people.

Go till a farm, Larry.

#801022 03/01/05 10:48 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I don't have to til my farm, Yahoo. That kind of work is done by people who aren't intelligent enough to do anything else. People like you, for instance.

No Larry, my shortsighted fool. Billions were spent helping American contractors, whose primarily interest was in themselves, not the Iraqi people.

This is a prime example of why you are, and will always be, an idiot. I'd explain it to you, but you aren't capable of understanding it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission