Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
75 registered members (Chernobieff Piano, camperbc, amyram, Chrispy, anotherscott, 36251, Abdol, 19 invisible), 906 guests, and 476 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: I had the surgery for the tumor #773730 07/08/03 06:40 AM
F
fmelliott Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Larry,

Fight em Tiger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've outlived a whole pack of doctors. So will you!! There are more of us old farts around than them so we have a head start from the begining.

Piano & Music Accessories
Re: I had the surgery for the tumor #773731 07/08/03 07:50 AM
DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My mother was in her sixties when first diagnosed with cancer. She's 78 and going strong. A coworker and lifetime smoker was diagnosed with cancer in his liver, lungs, and legs. He's back stronger than ever with a bowling average around 230. Another coworker has fought through two stem cell replacement therapies. Given your toughness, this should be an easy win for you. Never give up. Last week, I added you to the prayer list of our men's Bible study group. You're in good hands.

Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as heck...
Re: I had the surgery for the tumor #773732 07/08/03 08:57 AM
K
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
K
Larry that was hard to hear.

I think about what I would do.
First I'd be pssed!
Probably for a long time.
Then I think I would fight.
I'd hope for some miracle to happen within my mind so I could finally find the happiness and peace that has always eluded me.

I will share with you a dream I once had:

I was running from a bull.
I was scared, running for my life.
Exhausted, I decided couldn't go on.
I must have found something that was stronger than my fear.
I stopped running, and turned around.
The bull was gone.

Re: I had the surgery for the tumor #773733 07/08/03 09:27 AM
J
justme Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Larry,
Internet friends are hard to define yet, you've seemed to master how to make them. You have tons of support and it's so wonderful. You even have the support of people who disagree with you 95% of the time. In times like these, what you're going thru has brought people, trolls and sock puppets together to at least agree on one thing. You even have TomK and Ariel agreeing. Amazing! We all agree that WE WANT YOU TO BEAT THIS THING!!!!! Take care, and keep the faith,
justme

Re: I had the surgery for the tumor #773734 07/08/03 12:12 PM
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I agree with Kenny, Larry, that was hard to hear. I can't imagine how you feel---sick, sad, angry, all the above and more? We will continue to pray for you and your doctors. Please let us know what your course of action will be. I am so sad, but don't you be, you fight it!

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
Re: I had the surgery for the tumor #773735 07/08/03 12:23 PM
Jolly Offline
Truly sorry to hear the news, although when they sent it to Mayo, I had my opinions.

Dr. Moonlight is spot-on, Larry. The patients who are "fighters", with a positive outlook do the best.

And I can't think of a phrase that better fits your personality: " a fighter with a positive outlook".

Hang tuff, tiger.

www.coffee-room.com

Over 1.4M (and counting) posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.
Re: I had the surgery for the tumor #773736 07/08/03 03:17 PM
C
Chris W1 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I was just watching a documentary on reintroducing wolves to Yellowstone and guess who came to mind?

We expect you back 100% real soon, Larry. This park has no business following the betas.

Chris

Amateur At Large
Re: I had the surgery for the tumor #773737 07/08/03 03:27 PM
cathys Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Larry,
I haven't been here long so I know you barely "know" me but you are still in my thoughts, my grandfather outlived all predictions from the doctors in his fight with cancer. Everyone who has already said it is right ATTITUDE is everything. You will continue to be in my prayers.

Cathy

Re: I had the surgery for the tumor #773738 07/08/03 03:41 PM
J
jazzyd Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
All the above.

David

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
Re: I had the surgery for the tumor #773739 07/08/03 11:30 PM
lucy in the sky_dup1 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Dear Larry,

I signed on to see if you were yet to get any news. Larry, I am so sorry. I've seen what unpredictable terrain one must traverse in undergoing treatment for cancer. While you are not new to difficulty, you are new to this difficulty. Please take every available opportunity to remind yourself how many friends you have here, how many people you've made think, how many people you've made laugh. Everyone is with you and is sending hugs, smiles, prayers, cheers, warm thoughts, etc. And we're all waiting for your next Christmas poem! So get well, hear?

All of the best, Lucy

Lucy

Member, Red Piano Club
Member, 100 post club

Email: femmedada@aol.com
Re: I had the surgery for the tumor #773740 07/09/03 09:07 AM
johnmoonlight Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Larry, a movie I often recommend to patients who are given the tough news of a cancer diagnosis is "The Doctor" with William Hurt...He plays an arrogant surgeon who is quickly humbled by the devastating news of throat cancer...excellent movie.
Benedict's words above are very powerful and should not be forgotten.
It is interesting to observe how the loved ones of a cancer victim handle the news. Very often the wrong approach is taken by those close to the cancer victim. The diagnosis is rarely, if ever, talked about by family and friends. I suspect this is because of one or two possible reasons. Either THEY feel uncomfortable bringing it up or they think that the VICTIM will feel uncomfortable.(or both)
This approach is wrong and tends to distance your loved ones from you. It needs to be talked about openly and without hesitation. Often the first thought a friend or loved-one has upon coming to see you is, "What will I say to him?" Well the answer is to say EXACTLY what you are feeling..."I love you." "I'm scared you're going to die." "How does it feel to have cancer?" "Are you depressed?" "I don't want to lose you."
People are afraid to laugh around a cancer victim. Joke with them, make them laugh, cry with them,hug them, talk openly about the cancer...fight it WITH them instead of simply OBSERVING them fight it. Nothing makes a cancer victim feel more isolated than when everybody avoids the topic. The one silver lining to the diagnosis of cancer is that it gives you a chance to get your life in order...to tell your family that you love them and to do the things you've always wanted to do.
So Larry, how are you doing?

While one who sings with his tongue on fire
Gargles in the rat race choir
Bent out of shape from society's pliers
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole
That he's in.
Re: I had the surgery for the tumor #773741 07/09/03 03:33 PM
Rich D. Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Larry,
Don't venture into the Coffee Room much so was late in seeing this thread. I wish you the very best on beating whatever comes on to the radar screen. Please keep everyone updated on how things are going with you. Regards.

Rich

Retired at the beach

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
Re: I had the surgery for the tumor #773742 07/09/03 07:19 PM
Ringer Offline
Larry,

It's really hard to hear this, man. However, we all still believe that if anyone can smack this cancer down, it's you. One thing I've really admired about you is how you tell it like it is and stand up for yourself and it's a good thing to be able to support you now. Please keep us up to date on your condition!

My mother had malignant breast cancer (still in remission) and one thing that really helped her was a patient support group. If you can join one (one besides this one wink ), it may be a positive experience. Anyway, with you as a member, the support group will eventually turn into the best finely-honed cancer combat assault team the world has ever seen! cool

Now get well soon!!

"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said, `I drank what?'"

Ringer
Re: I had the surgery for the tumor #773743 07/09/03 11:16 PM
J
Joy Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Dear Larry,

If there's anyone on the planet who can rise above this helluva of a crisis, it's you.

I love what Benedict wrote.

I love what you wrote:

" I can taste everything. I can smell everything. Everything."

That IS everything.

Rick is playing a lovely melody downstairs (by Steely Dan, I believe) on the piano as I write this. I feel blessed. It's for you, too.

A coincidence: I am working with a client right now who was diagnosed with cancer when he was 20. He was a star college athlete with a promising pro-football career ahead of him. He refused to accept a terminal prognosis. After much relentless searching, he found a treatment that worked for him. He's 80 now. Today he is launching a new business with his wife. They've enlisted my design services. I'm amazed at his energy. What's your secret, I ask him. A positive attitude and the will to live, he says.

Hey! If anyone can lick the cancer beast, it's you, Larry.

Sending good thoughts your way,

Joy

Re: I had the surgery for the tumor #773744 07/09/03 11:31 PM
katie_dup1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
May God Bless you Larry in your battle with this terrible diagnosis. I will pray for you.

Re: I had the surgery for the tumor #773745 07/09/03 11:31 PM
J
Joy Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
PS:

Larry, Rick wants to know if he can lick it too.

Eeeeew!

Joy

Re: I had the surgery for the tumor #773746 07/10/03 12:28 AM
F
Friday Offline
F
Larry

I haven't posted because I just didn't know what to say. People with more eloquence have said it for me. Just know that in a little corner of
South Bay there is a family pulling for you.

Shoe!

F.
Re: I had the surgery for the tumor #773747 07/14/03 08:34 PM
O
ob1knabe Offline
O
Larry--

I was so saddened to hear about your diagnosis. I sincerely hope that your road to recovery is quick and that all the fear that comes along with such a diagnosis is never actualized. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Ob1knabe

"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever"
John Keats
Re: I had the surgery for the tumor #773748 07/15/03 04:48 PM
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Larry,

I worked for the National Cancer Institute - many years ago - spoke with hundreds of patients and families dealing with what you're going through.

It is a hard time.

Often when one hears the word "cancer," most of the next 90 minutes of conversation fades to nothingness...

You mentioned well-intentioned folks making you crazy...not unusual. I saw it frequently. Well intentioned (loving) people tortured (proper word) loved ones. Sometimes it was dragging the person from place to place, other times it was newspaper articles -- and stories...zillions of them.

You're a strong guy -- let them know you need to make the decisions and you'll let them know (instantly) if there is anything they can do. Define the parameters of what help you need -- and be a stickler.

If there's anything I can do...let me know.

Ken

Re: I had the surgery for the tumor #773749 07/17/03 12:03 AM
David Burton Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Larry,

I too have been away for a few weeks at least now and I’m just reading this thread for the first time and am reeling with grief. A thousand things I thought to say and they all sound insignificant compared to how I feel at this moment. God bless you Larry Fletcher! You have been, though you may not know it, a teacher and instigator to many of us. If you want a chance to conquer this thing you should get in contact with Dr. Joseph Gold at Syracuse University as soon as possible. He advocates a treatment involving hydrazine sulfite which is 85% successful even in advanced cases. Do not delay. If I had your diagnosis I would ask the doctors if they could promise to cure me using chemo radiation etc. Of course they would say no. At this point you have everything to gain. Contact Dr. Gold’s people right away.

Best,

David Burton

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
1ms audio, can you tell the difference?
by Abdol - 12/07/19 10:18 PM
Looking for Chappell 1886 upright information
by steven_usa - 12/07/19 10:16 PM
Recommend me a hygrometer and humidifier
by WeakLeftHand - 12/07/19 09:46 PM
Near Field Monitors With 8 Inch Drivers ?
by AndyOnThePiano - 12/07/19 09:22 PM
Cool discovery
by Jitin - 12/07/19 09:08 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,555
Posts2,899,516
Members95,178
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission