2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, danno858, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,854 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jodi Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Soon, it will be time to finish off our basement room. I noticed when we were looking at houses that most of the walls in the newer places are textured. Our old (50's) house had smooth walls. My neighbor said its because they spray on the mud after they put up the sheetrock (or whatever it is called)instead of using one of those metal thingies. It that because its cheaper, and hides flaws better? I like the smooth look a little better, is it difficult to do? Jodi

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It's not a particularly difficult thing to do, but it takes practice and patience. (Sounds like piano playing smile )

Around these parts, any kind of drywall installation that didn't have smooth taped joints wouldn't fly, whether new construction or old.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. - Clemens
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Cheap quality builders will often spray the spackling (drywall mud) onto the wall so that they don't have to fill the screw holes or tape the joints. It saves them from having to sand it all and get it smooth. Sprayed walls scream "cheap" just like some of this fake wood flooring that gives under your feet screams cheap.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The sprayed wall surfaces that I've seen and specified come in a variety of textures, ranging from a slight "orange peel" look to a more stucco-looking "knock-down" texture. But even when textured like this, the joints still had to be taped and bedded and sanded before application of the spray. Then, the spray texture is painted over. It helps to make the wall a slight bit more durable, but it's big selling feature is to hide irregularities in the underlying drywall installation. Frankly, I don't like it at all on walls, and only infrequently on ceilings in the orange-peel option. It may be a regional preference thing, but I would never have it on my walls at home. And while I'm not very good at it myself, standard-finished drywall finishing isn't rocket science. I wouldn't be afraid to require it of any contractor. Tell them you want a "Level 4" drywall finish, or, if the walls are subject to harsh lighting coming at a sharp angle from adjacent doors or windows, thell them you want a Level 5" finish on those walls. Level 5 is what's typically called "skimcoating," where the whole wall surface is covered with joint compound, to smooth out the bumps from the joints as much as possible - otherwise, the lighting angle will make every little bump stand out. These "Levels" are defined by the Gypsum Association of America. If you need, I'll be happy to fax a copy of their brochure defining the "levels." If you use this terminology and your contractor looks at you like you're from Mars, get another contractor. Happy mudding! smile

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Dwain Lee:

But even when textured like this, the joints still had to be taped and bedded and sanded before application of the spray.
And of course you are correct. What I meant to say was spraying saved them the work of getting the joints and screw holes perfect.

Forgive me.....I was having a Cohen moment.......

jodi Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I know, I hate it too, it looks so tacky - our new house unfortunately has orange peel. (at least the new house doesn't have the textured glitter ceilings that several of the 70's era houses we looked at had...) According to my neighbor, the guy at the end of the street is a drywall expert, she had him re-mud her walls (to cover up the fact that she ripped wallpaper off, and wasn't able to get it all) and I went over and looked at it. It has this interesting effect, at least I HOPE it was an effect - it looks like an adobe wall - with all these areas where the mud kind of folded over on itself. (If it wasn't done on purpose, then I'd say I could do a better job first time out blindfolded) Dwain, I'd be interested in that information, but I have no fax number here, I'll have to find the number for Steve's office. Thanks for the help, guys. Jodi

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My neighbor just did an adobe type effect in his living room. (Did it himself) I was impressed with the final look, although I don't think I would do this in my house.

BTW, up until about a year ago, my walls were all white or off white and I was perfectly happy that way. My wife is now going through the house and making changes in the room colors. At first, i was dragged kicking and screaming, but I now like the change. (Except for the bright red bathroom)

Good Luck with the walls Jodi!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Rich Galassini:
(Except for the bright red bathroom)
mad AARRRRGH! Bathrooms should be a place of serenity where one can soak in soothing waters and colors.

Then again, red may be the color for reading the Inquirer. laugh

Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as heck...
jodi Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Well, I've got a gallon bucket of bright red paint just waiting to go on the wall around the fireplace in the living room. Actually, it's a very deep cranberry, somewhere in between the mahogany red of the piano, the cherry red of my great great grandfathers hand made chest, and the reds in the oriental rugs. It's awesome. Like you, Rich, I've had off white walls with white ceilings my whole life. I've decided its time to get wild with those paintbrushes. (no rude comments, LARRY) smile Jodi

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by jodi:
Well, I've got a gallon bucket of bright red paint just waiting to go on the wall around the fireplace in the living room. Actually, it's a very deep cranberry, somewhere in between the mahogany red of the piano, the cherry red of my great great grandfathers hand made chest, and the reds in the oriental rugs. It's awesome. Like you, Rich, I've had off white walls with white ceilings my whole life. I've decided its time to get wild with those paintbrushes. (no rude comments, LARRY) smile Jodi
One of the most beautiful rooms I have ever been in is the living room at SWMBO's boss's house. It is a newer tract house of the 30' living room ceiling with open staircase variety. Most of these living rooms remain builder's white and have all of the charm of a blimp hangar.

This one is painted red - cranberry red - all 30' tall of it and all four walls. The ceiling is sky blue with clouds painted on it. The drapes run 30' from floor to ceiling and are in a pattern that everyone would tell you was far too large and colorful to use. The furniture is an eclectic mix, mostly mahogany, vaguely oriental in feel.

This room just knocks my socks off. Bet you like yours too, and if you don't, just paint it again!

Defender of the Landfill Piano
jodi Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
"All the charm of a blimp hanger."

How funny! laugh laugh laugh Jodi

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission