2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 12 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
#770106 02/24/05 04:46 PM
Y
yhabpo Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Yes, I'm following closely.

#770107 02/24/05 05:59 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Dwain - Your analogies with self-centeredness, or with adultery, or other human traits and actions we must restrain are false. Egotism or adultery are commonly judged to be moral failings, and can be criticized in normal moral terms and shown to be bad. (Well, one could debate the meaning of egotism, but I'll allow for the sake of argument that it is commonly regarded as a moral failing.) If a family member acts selfishly, or steals, I might plausibly hate the sin but love the sinner.

Homosexuality is not like this. It is a normal, healthy aspect of human sexuality. It is not morally wrong in any respect at all. You have given no argument otherwise, nor have I ever seen on PW or elsewhere any actual argument (other than "God says so") to this effect. Therefore there is no distinction between hating the sin and the sinner on this topic, because it is only in the minds of the "haters" that there is any issue to begin with (unlike the other issues, which are plausibly regarded as independent moral failings, and can be argued to be such).

Also, you do not know if the injunction to self-hatred you propose for homosexuals is harder than what you put yourself through. You are not a homosexual. All the stuff about love and God and faith and etc. is off topic - your views are discrimination against homosexuals and morally wrong. If a religion preaches known falsehoods and moral errors, it may be judged accordingly.

#770108 02/24/05 06:16 PM
Jeffrey,

What is the difference between my inclination to want to have sex with multiple females outside of marriage any different than a gay man's desire to have sex with multiple males? I know it is not just sex, but I also am drawn to love women, to care for them, to protect them, etc. I do not see the distinction.

Homosexuality is certainly not "healthy". I would also argue it is not "normal" even if fully 2-3-5% feel that way. Further, I would say that homosexuality seems to be a sin against God if you believe in that sort of thing or contrary to the theory of evolution if you ascribe to that.

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. (1 Pet 4:7-8 NIV)
#770109 02/24/05 06:17 PM
double post

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. (1 Pet 4:7-8 NIV)
#770110 02/24/05 06:19 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Kincaid:
What is the difference between my inclination to want to have sex with multiple females outside of marriage any different than a gay man's desire to have sex with multiple males?
Nothing, but promiscuity has nothing to do with homosexuality, nor vice versa.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. - Clemens
#770111 02/24/05 06:27 PM
See! I told you I was afraid to wade in!

#770112 02/24/05 06:34 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K: "Homosexuality is certainly not "healthy"."

Why do you say this? I saw no argument. It is not against the theory of evolution, since the human species is thriving, and many humans are homosexual.

#770113 02/24/05 06:39 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
One final comment on "faith" as it is used in these sort of debates: usually after all evidence and reason based arguments are exhausted, and one point of view (call it X) proven false, people say, "Well, it's just faith, you don't understand since you don't have faith, I still believe X." The word "faith" is used as a talisman against actually accepting a logical, evidence-based train of thought. This, at least, is my observation.

#770114 02/24/05 06:39 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Matt G.:
[b]What is the difference between my inclination to want to have sex with multiple females outside of marriage any different than a gay man's desire to have sex with multiple males?
Nothing, but promiscuity has nothing to do with homosexuality, nor vice versa. [/b]
Actually, I think it does. I don't think it is much disputed that gay men are far more promiscious than straights and for the sole reason that men are much more driven by their libidos. Our own Johnny Moon is testament to that. 3hearts So, in a hetero mix, you have a libido-raging male with the femme who keeps him in check, right? The man always wants it, and the woman is always holding back and restraining him? In a homosexual mix, you don't have the check and balance. That's one of the reasons I think gay marriage is a really good thing. Let's encourage commitment and monagomy. If gay guys strive toward comitted relationships, it can only stand to stablilize society - less sexually transimtted disease, more happiness all the way around, no?

Have you ever read "Sexual Personae" by Camille Paglia? She touches on this, and the breakdown of sexual mores in our society, in general, ultimately leading to a hedonistic, sadistic, death knell of ultimate destruction to the race. She's kind of out there, but I think she has a real sense of the evolution of human sexuality.

#770115 02/24/05 06:46 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by kathyk:
In a homosexual mix, you don't have the check and balance.
Fine, if you wish to discount roughly half of the homosexuals, who happen to be women. So, what, lesbians just never have sex because they're always reining each other in? :rolleyes:

#770116 02/24/05 06:49 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Actually, I think it does. I don't think it is much disputed that gay men are far more promiscious than straights and for the sole reason that men are much more driven by their libidos. Our own Johnny Moon is testament to that. 3hearts So, in a hetero mix, you have a libido-raging male with the femme who keeps him in check, right? The man always wants it, and the woman is always holding back and restraining him? In a homosexual mix, you don't have the check and balance.
HUH?!?! I dont get this "femme holding him back" thing. That sounds like the dynamics of a relationship, which ofcourse, is one partner, whereas promiscuity is about several partners.

Men with the raging libidos can have sex as often as they like. If there is some femme holding back, the raging libido can find it elswhere. there is no shortage of women available for cheap taudry sex. And I have known many straight men who's women count is staggering. And many gay couples (men and women) who are extremely commited and faithful.

Again, promiscuity and homosexuality are entirely independent of each other.

I was born the year Glenn Gould stop playing concerts. Coincidence?
#770117 02/24/05 06:56 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Sorry to not have clarified that, Matt. I was talking about men. I think lesbians are quite benign. Have you seen any of our contingent CW homophobes getting their dander up about them recently?

Really, do either of you (Sid or Matt) deny that men have a greater libido than women, speaking in generalities, of course?

And yes, Sid, men can go get it whereever they damn please, but they better be good players, have understanding partners, or just not care, because most women I know in supposedly monogamous relationships will not stand for their men satisying their primal urges outside the matrimonial bedroom. I trust the same holds for monogamous homo- relationships. That's all I'm saying. My point is very simple. Men are much more sex-driven than women. Put them together in sexual relationships (think bathhouses) and you have potential libido gone amuck, absent a committed monogamous relationship.

#770118 02/24/05 07:06 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sorry to not have clarified that, Matt. I was talking about men. I think lesbians are quite benign. Have you seen an of our regular CW homophobes getting their dander up about them recently?

Really, do either of you (Sid or Matt) deny that men have a greater libido than women, speaking in generalities, of course?

And yes, Sid, men can go get it whereever they damn please, but they better be good players, have understanding partners, or just not care, because most women I know in supposedly monogamous relationships will not stand for their men satisying their primal urges outside the matrimonial bedroom. I trust the same holds for monogamous homo- relationships. That's all I'm saying. My point is very simple. Men are sex-driven. Put them together in sexual relationships and you have potential libido gone amuck, absent a committed monogamous relationship.
Yes, men seem to have stronger libidos.

But in your promiscous scenario, you seem to be assuming a significant other (who will or will not stand for it). Promiscuity occurs with single people too (if not predominantly). My point being, the topic is unrelated to a relationship.

Although I do have a friend who is cohabitating with a woman, been with her for about 3 years. They are supposedly commited. But he pretty much bangs a different girl every night. He works in the club industry, so he's around hundreds at all times. I've seen him operate, its amazing. He's brought them over to share. I have no idea how this relationship works. I've never met her (seen her, she does exist), but all I can think is she's playing prolifically on the side too. But he's been over here, with women, afterhours, and the cell phone rings every half hour "when are you coming home". "I'm just hanging with buddy for some drinks, we'll be done soon". How can that work?

I was born the year Glenn Gould stop playing concerts. Coincidence?
#770119 02/24/05 07:17 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'd say in your friend's case, his SO is very much contibuting to the rules of the game.

Of course, and indisputably, promiscuity occurs among both sexes, but I believe (Pardon my lack of energy to prove this with citations) that most studies will show that the sex-drive is much stronger in men, and ergo - promiscuity. And, in sex studies, the curbing force of that is monogamy, which traditionally, comes in the form a wife, children, and family to rear. For homosexuals, the counterpart would be a life partner.

#770120 02/24/05 07:29 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Of course, and indisputably, promiscuity occurs among both sexes, but I believe (Pardon my lack of energy to prove this with citations) that most studies will show that the sex-drive is much stronger in men, and ergo - promiscuity.
I don't think this is a correct conclusion. Libido has no direct link to promiscuity, only to desire for sexual activity. Two partners with equivalent libido levels would have little need for promiscuity, all other things being equal. I think that promiscuity is a personality issue, not a hormone-driven genetic issue.

#770121 02/24/05 07:35 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Alas, no time at the moment to go and back myself up, but, a lot of what I've read would suggest otherwise. I think it's just a simple girl/boy difference thing. And, I am a strong proponent of the school of differences between the sexes. wink

#770122 02/24/05 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Jeffrey:
K: "Homosexuality is certainly not "healthy"."

Why do you say this? I saw no argument. It is not against the theory of evolution, since the human species is thriving, and many humans are homosexual.
The sex act in homosexuality is not as God or evolution designed. Please don't make me research the nasty things that can happen when going against nature. Not to mention HIV and AIDS.

#770123 02/24/05 08:26 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Not to mention HIV and AIDS.
Are you of the opinion that these are a consequence of homosexual activity? Someone needs a biology lesson....

#770124 02/24/05 08:32 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'd consult a medical doctor about the differences between the muscle structure of the vagina and the anus. I understand there is quite a difference, and the anal tissue is quite more susceptible to tearing. But I am not a doctor, and will leave that to the professionals.

Estonically yours,

Ivorythumper

"Man without mysticism is a monster"
#770125 02/24/05 08:41 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ivorythumper:
But I am not a doctor, and will leave that to the professionals.
Thanks for sharing. :rolleyes:

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission