2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 11 invisible), 1,713 guests, and 335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
#756106 12/21/04 01:56 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

what are your honors rules? hmmmmm?

You deserve to be heckled today... Why don't you have a glass of tea.
Apple?

Honest to goodness, I don't know what on earth you are even talking about. I can see you're trying to be nasty for some reason, but I have no idea what I could have done to offend you so badly.

Let's make a deal. You don't respond to my messages and I won't respond to yours.

How about it?

#756107 12/21/04 01:59 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
89th:

Welcome neighbor!!
Hee!

Yes, you're right. S*** happens.

Here's something to raise your blood pressure, 89th. . . .

I still haven't backed up my computer.

Pretty irresonsible, no? wink

Cindy -- who will do it before this week

#756108 12/21/04 01:59 PM
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by Jolly:
However, from a couple of things I've read, there seems to be an active solicitation movement going on, to a competing board.

And yes, I do find that to be a bit beyond the pale, if the modus operandi is the PM function on this board, and the gathering of our publicly displayed email addresses.

Just because something is free, is not an absolution to leave one's ethics at the door. [/QB]
Jolly, I, too, would like some examples of what you're talking about. Because, if this is true, I couldn't agree with you more.

#756109 12/21/04 02:04 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
[QUOTE] Let's make a deal. You don't respond to my messages and I won't respond to yours.

How about it?
Wouldn't her acceptance of that deal simultaneously cause her to break it? laugh

The 89th Key - who will come back up Cindy's computer this weekend if she doesn't do it soon! (No Tom, that wasn't a metaphorical statement cool )

-The 89th Key [Linked Image]

[Linked Image] www.thecollegecritic.com [Linked Image]
--- Integrity | Loyalty | Simplicity ---
#756110 12/21/04 02:05 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
TomK: As if clowns weren't already scary enough! Yikes!!! eek laugh

For off-topic discussion, please feel free to visit www.coffee-room.com
#756111 12/21/04 02:05 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Well, I'll come clean and reveal I was just thinking about PM'ing the avowed Harry Potter fans here and inviting them to a Harry Potter discussion group I know about.

But I guess that would be highly unethical . . . So I'd better not!

Bad Cindy, Bad Cindy! smile

#756112 12/21/04 02:05 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I am responding Cindy because I wish to counterbalance what you've publicly written...

So, I guess there is no deal..at least on my part. I hope you understand.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
#756113 12/21/04 02:07 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
89th:

Wouldn't her acceptance of that deal simultaneously cause her to break it?
**DOH!!**

Curses. Foiled again.

#756114 12/21/04 02:15 PM
Jolly Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Yes, Jolly. Do favor us with an explanation that shows there is some unethical conspiracy going on. I don't rememeber being asked to sign a loyalty oath to post here. We are all free to post here and anywhere else we'd like, I'm sure you'd agree.

As for whether this site is free, yes, it is free. There is no obligation to spend one penny that benefits PW. If Frank would like it some other way, I think he should say so. So far, he has not, and indeed seems to have said the opposite.

Why don't you guys let Frank speak for himself for a change? Having a subscription logo next to one's name isn't a license to dictate policy, pull rank or set ethical standards around here. IMHO.

This sense of entitlement some here display is beyond nauseating.
One is free to post on any free site that will have them. That is not my point. I explicitly stated that I used to romp around on Mr. Land's board a bit, and I've got a short post on rmmp right now.

My question was about the ethics of solicitation.

Nothing was said in my post about forum-support, or entitlement of those who do send Frank money for forum support.

If you'd like to wade through a few posts on the other board, please do so. EHpianist was the one that caught my eye. And to thoroughly absolve Elena, she may not have even referenced this board in particular - it may have been another she was talking about.

That does not change the essential premise of this thread-starter, however.

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
#756115 12/21/04 02:23 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Ms. A happens to meet Ms. B at a quiet neighborhood restaurant. It's a nice restaurant that serves the kind of food they both enjoy. They both become regular patrons of this restaurant, as do a number of other people. Ms. A and Ms. B have a lot in common, so they tend to talk to each other quite frequently at this restaurant. The other regular patrons have similar personal affinities for one another, and also for the genial owner of the place.

As time passes, Ms. A and Ms. B, along with the whole consort of regular patrons become quite familiar with each other and feel comfortable in this restaurant. Ms. A happens to love the corned beef and Ms. B truly enjoys the dumplings. Then, things start happening with the supplies to the restaurant, things beyond the owner's control. Corned beef disappears from the menu, and the dumplings can only be had on Wednesdays.

Ms. A and Ms. B both continue to go to the restaurant, though, because they are comfortable there. Then, the restaurant is split into smoking and non-smoking sections, and tensions develop between the smokers and non-smokers. The restaurant becomes less and less conducive to the type of fellowship Ms. A and Ms. B enjoy, and neither can get the type of food they really like there anymore.

Ms. B suggests to Ms. A that they try a new restaurant down the street that serves corned beef and dumplings. That's your 'free market' at work. Is there something ethically amiss in this scenario? Do either Ms. A or Ms. B have any reason to keep going to the same old restaurant? Should they be harassed if they do? Should they feel guilty for going to another restaurant? Should the patrons at the old restaurant feel slighted? Answer these questions and you'll be better prepared to answer the issue of any ethical propriety.

(©2004 by Analogies "B" Us)

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. - Clemens
#756116 12/21/04 02:23 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, but several of us want to know the facts concerning this alleged solicitation. Will you or will you not provide them?

If you'd like to wade through a few posts on the other board, please do so.
**A-HA!!** You just solicited me!

Was it good for you too? smokin

#756117 12/21/04 02:24 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Jolly-- are you saying that people on another forum are soliciting people on that forum to stay on that forum rather than come over here?

What's so unethical about that? That's not exactly what I would call a "solicitation."

On the other hand, maybe I'm not following you. If so, in the words of Emily Litella, "never mind."

#756118 12/21/04 02:34 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Cindy, I would imagine what's bothering Apple is the same thing that's bothering me. I don't know if you simply ignore things, or if you purposely miss the point and argue an irrelevant tangent on purpose, or simply aren't capable of comprehending. It's one of the three, I just can't decide which one it is.

Take "free". I cannot believe you aren't smart enough to separate the distinct difference between free for you to use from free meaning the site costs nothing. In choosing to focus on the "free for you to use" aspect, you completely miss the entire point, and go off on a tangent. Then, in spite of your claims of "civility", you take a swipe at those you disagree with with your snide remark, "This sense of entitlement some here display is beyond nauseating." That's hardly being civil, but I suppose from the etherworld you have contorted your logic into, you have justified that one as well.

Then you hit us with your favorite little dodge, "Why don't you guys let Frank speak for himself for a change?" Are you of the opinion that Frank is the only one here with any common sense? Do you really not understand commerce, or are you purposely trying to create friction? Frank doesn't have to "speak" for thinking people to be able to understand the simple logic that this place is not free, or that the forums provide hit count to his website. This is "internet business 101", Cindy. If you really don't understand it, then stop taking swipes at people and let them educate you. If you *do* understand it, stop purposely trying to confuse the issue, and stop taking mean swipes at people and then standing back claiming to be an innocent victim. You were *not* "civil".

#756119 12/21/04 02:37 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Well, that sure was personal. :rolleyes:

#756120 12/21/04 02:41 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
No, it wasn't personal. It was written in the same spirit of civility that Cindy's post was.

#756121 12/21/04 02:42 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
No, it was not.

#756122 12/21/04 02:43 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Larry, your post had nothing whatever to do with the so-called ethics of people inviting others to join them at another internet forum. People can post where they want, and they can invite others to post anyplace they'd like. That anyone would find this objectionable (on the facts presented) means that person has an agenda or a control issue or something.

I mean, did you even read Matt's post?

And yes, I do think some folks here should stop acting as though they are devising and executing Frank's business plan. 'Cause they're not. And all they're doing is causing (more) trouble with a bunch of unsubstantiated paranoia. IMHO, of course.

I do think you should consider expressing your concerns about solicitation directly to Frank. Maybe he'd agree and would post a new rule or some such.

Cindy, I would imagine what's bothering Apple is the same thing that's bothering me. I don't know if you simply ignore things, or if you purposely miss the point and argue an irrelevant tangent on purpose, or simply aren't capable of comprehending. It's one of the three, I just can't decide which one it is.

Take "free". I cannot believe you aren't smart enough to separate the distinct difference between free for you to use from free meaning the site costs nothing. In choosing to focus on the "free for you to use" aspect, you completely miss the entire point, and go off on a tangent. Then, in spite of your claims of "civility", you take a swipe at those you disagree with with your snide remark, "This sense of entitlement some here display is beyond nauseating." That's hardly being civil, but I suppose from the etherworld you have contorted your logic into, you have justified that one as well.

Then you hit us with your favorite little dodge, "Why don't you guys let Frank speak for himself for a change?" Are you of the opinion that Frank is the only one here with any common sense? Do you really not understand commerce, or are you purposely trying to create friction? Frank doesn't have to "speak" for thinking people to be able to understand the simple logic that this place is not free, or that the forums provide hit count to his website. This is "internet business 101", Cindy. If you really don't understand it, then stop taking swipes at people and let them educate you. If you *do* understand it, stop purposely trying to confuse the issue, and stop taking mean swipes at people and then standing back claiming to be an innocent victim. You were *not* "civil".

#756123 12/21/04 02:48 PM
I don't think a rule needs to be made........ people should know better.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
#756124 12/21/04 02:49 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by apple*:
I don't think a rule needs to be made........ people should know better.
Fine, I'll never publicly or privately suggest that anyone go to another restaurant. I'll just go.

#756125 12/21/04 02:51 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Larry, your post had nothing whatever to do with the so-called ethics of people inviting others to join them at another internet forum. People can post where they want, and they can invite others to post anyplace they'd like. That anyone would find this objectionable (on the facts presented) means that person has an agenda or a control issue or something.

Excuse me, but it had *everything* to do with it. To quote from my post:

"On the one hand, this is a non issue from the standpoint that no one "owns" a poster, and everyone is free to visit whatever site they wish to visit. They are also free to recommend another site if they choose. I don't see a problem with that at all."

I mean, did you even read Matt's post?

I wasn't addressing Matt's post. I was addressing your's.

Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission